Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

The GIG posted:

FFXHD is being released as a standalone game yes, but what does that have to do with the Kingdom Hearts series? FFX is a singular game, it's not part of any series (except with FFX-2 but that wasn't a sequel in the sense of tying up story, itself was pretty much standalone). Kingdom Hearts games are much smaller than any FF, not to mention that it is a connected series that works with each other. Even if they all don't get lumped together at once, they will probably put them in with at least one other game from the series.

Ahahahaha.

O ye of little pessimism.

The KH games will be sold separately because people will still buy them that way and Square-Enix will get more money that way. The only one with any odds of getting bundled with anything else is RE:CoM, since it was originally packaged with KH2:FM+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Ahahahaha.

O ye of little pessimism.

The KH games will be sold separately because people will still buy them that way and Square-Enix will get more money that way. The only one with any odds of getting bundled with anything else is RE:CoM, since it was originally packaged with KH2:FM+.

Considering that Square seems to love bundles, what with Final Fantasy Anthology back in the day, Final Fantasy 4 Complete, and almost every rerelease of the first two ever, and the fact that most HD remakes being released are bundles (Even Capcom's), there is a staggering amount of things that point towards a bundle pack if we get HD remakes rolling out.

Oh ye of little sense.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 27, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

miscellaneous14 posted:

This is apparently in addition to the Vita port of it.

Give me cloud saves and I will literally give you all my money. Make it happen Squeenix.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Everyone who skipped Recoded is doing themselves a disservice, because although it uses the same worlds as Kingdom Hearts 1, the gameplay is completely different on most of the worlds. It even makes Olympus Coliseum fun, which was like a tiny miracle.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
The best part of Re:coded is Data-Roxas encouraging you to be a dick to everybody at Castle Oblivion.
The battle system was okay, being similar to Birth by Sleep's, but the Matrix System was one huge pain in the rear, especially the fact that once placed, you can't take out panels anymore, only swap them for others.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can basically ignore the plot of Re;coded since it literally doesn't matter until the ending, and the secret movie. But the game is fun as hell, has a slightly better version of the command deck system from BBS, and I really liked the level matrix stuff. Mostly because I think it's cool that you can dick around with your stats in order to affect EXP/item drops/etc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The most amazing thing about re:coded is how they managed to reuse the already reused to hell and back 5 KH1 worlds three times in one game. It's like the cheapest game possible. First you go through the worlds. Then you go through them again, except this time it's full of cubes oooo. And then you go through not quite the worlds again, but this time you get to dick with the story!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The original version must've been the most phoned in thing ever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

The most amazing thing about re:coded is how they managed to reuse the already reused to hell and back 5 KH1 worlds three times in one game. It's like the cheapest game possible. First you go through the worlds. Then you go through them again, except this time it's full of cubes oooo. And then you go through not quite the worlds again, but this time you get to dick with the story!

they're always full of Blox. I think you only go back through the worlds a second time for like a brief second, and it's usually one room and basically a puzzle. But the third time isn't anything at all like anything that has happened in any of the other games in the series and kinda owns.

I'm totally gonna LP that game, eventually.

Also, Iwata Asks: Kingdom Hearts 3D! (click) I'm reading it right now, pretty interesting.

EDIT: They talk about, among other things, how Mario 64 changed gaming forever, how much of the overarching Kingdom Hearts plot Nomura wrote at what point, and how the dream eaters were influenced by the pets he had as a child.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 31, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Apparently the guy who (correctly) leaked the new Castlevania games also mentioned a HD collection of the Kingdom Hearts games.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/kingdom-hearts-hd-collection-bound-for-wii-u

quote:

Kingdom Hearts lovers, rejoice: A collection of five of the games in the series could be seeing an HD re-release on Wii U, PS3, and the Vita. Dubbed “Kingdom Hearts: HD Remix,” this mega pack of games is set to include the original Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth By Sleep, 358/2 Days, and Chain of Memories(presumably the Re version). It’ll supposedly include some retroactive continuity in the form of new side quests that help tie the games together.

While this may be but a rumor thus far, the news comes to us from the same source that leaked the info about the two new Castlevania titles before anyone else, making it a bit more believable. In addition, series head Tetsuya Nomura had mentioned something that makes this rumor all but certain eventually.

Coming from a Game Informer interview taken a few months ago:

“GI: Would you ever want to see a high-definition collections of Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II similar to the upcoming Final Fantasy X HD remaster?

TN: I do have an interest in HD versions, and I’m currently researching them. If it is possible, I would like to do something about the series being spread over so many different consoles, too. I am thinking alot about the future.”

As a fan of both Square Enix and Disney, I have longed to play the mainline games in the series for ages, but never picked up a PS2 in their heyday. Getting to experience this popular series in HD should be a treat.

They would be stupid not to include the Final Mixes, considering a lot of the story stuff is canon (I'm looking at you, Unknown fight in KHFM) and also I don't believe they would port 358/2 Days because that would be way too much work.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
No Xbox? drat. :(

quote:

It’ll supposedly include some retroactive continuity in the form of new side quests that help tie the games together.

Oh god no. More retcons.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Apparently the guy who (correctly) leaked the new Castlevania games also mentioned a HD collection of the Kingdom Hearts games.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/kingdom-hearts-hd-collection-bound-for-wii-u

They would be stupid not to include the Final Mixes, considering a lot of the story stuff is canon (I'm looking at you, Unknown fight in KHFM) and also I don't believe they would port 358/2 Days because that would be way too much work.

I want this to be real so badly. Now that I've got a Vita I won't need a PSP if this comes out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I really doubt they're going to include Days, if that rumor is even true. You can't HDify a DS game like that, and I can think of at least one cutscene that loses a whole lot of effect if you don't have two screens for it.

Pesky Splinter posted:

No Xbox? drat. :(

Oh god no. More retcons.

The retcons are the best part of these games. I say bring them on, make this plot even more convoluted and dumb!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

The retcons are the best part of these games. I say bring them on, make this plot even more convoluted and dumb!

Xehanort is just a pawn for Scrooge McDuck. Sora time travels back into the past to become his own great grandfather (who is actually Ansem the wise). Riku is his brother. Kairi is actually just Mickey Mouse in drag to keep Sora and Riku loyal to him. Master Eraqus is actually Sora from the future, after he had a sex change, regretted it, had another change and went back in time to found the Land of Departure. And Kingdom Hearts is a literal plot hole in the middle of nowhere. Played to the tune of Simple and Clean.

I think that's beat 'em for the time being.

[e]: gently caress! Um...the Keyblade is actually Sora's mom in weapon form, and the X-blade is his dad and mom in weapon form.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 31, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You didn't use the word "Keyblade" a single time in that, go back to the drawing board.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"You might solve a mystery... or re-write history, KINGDOM HEARTS A-WOO-OO"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those better be the final mix versions otherwise they aren't worth a cent.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MARTY TURKEY posted:

How much work would it be to convert the Final Mixes for a western release? From what I understand all their text is in Japanese but the voicework is still in English (and no new voicework is done for FMs either). Anything else that would need changing?

E: And 358/2 didn't have any major touchscreen use so it's not like that couldn't be ported over. But who wants to play that game again? :v:

(also when do you want to get cracking on that BBS LP)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 31, 2012

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MARTY TURKEY posted:

also I don't believe they would port 358/2 Days because that would be way too much work.

Not really. It's pretty much all stuff from the PS2 games, so it'd just be a matter of rebuilding the game with the higher quality assets.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
"Sidequests that tie in the games" might just be talking about the final mixes having a boss for the next game.

I think it'd be cool if they actually put in the ability to call for nobody backup in days like they planned, but they'll probably just phone it in.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Not really. It's pretty much all stuff from the PS2 games, so it'd just be a matter of rebuilding the game with the higher quality assets.

I can only think of 2 art assets exclusive to Days: Xion (who is pretty much just a texture swap of Kairi) and the final boss. For everything else they'd just re-use the models and textures from the first two games, which they would already be sprucing up for HD.

I'm sure releasing Days on the PS3 would be no more work than releasing Chain of Memories on the PS2 was.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
They can even use the updated music from the BBS/Days/Coded soundtrack they put out.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Momomo posted:

I really doubt they're going to include Days, if that rumor is even true. You can't HDify a DS game like that, and I can think of at least one cutscene that loses a whole lot of effect if you don't have two screens for it.

They could just do certain scenes with kind of a comic panel effect we see so often lately, I think it'd work out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

C-Euro posted:

How much work would it be to convert the Final Mixes for a western release? From what I understand all their text is in Japanese but the voicework is still in English (and no new voicework is done for FMs either). Anything else that would need changing?

E: And 358/2 didn't have any major touchscreen use so it's not like that couldn't be ported over. But who wants to play that game again? :v:

(also when do you want to get cracking on that BBS LP)

It's literally just the text, and 95% of the text was already in the regular version anyway, so it's not like they would have to do very much at all.

The problem with porting 358/2 Days is that tons of cutscenes used both screens, and would lose that effect. The only way I could conceivably see this working would be with the WiiU tablet. And even then, I doubt they would put together an entire new game just for an HD re-release. Chain of Memories definitely needed the PS2 remake because of its relevance to the overall plot. Days does not.

when I can afford recording equipment, which will be soon.

EDIT:

darealkooky posted:

"Sidequests that tie in the games" might just be talking about the final mixes having a boss for the next game.

It better loving be.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I can see it as a transparent overlay for the non-dual screened games.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

MARTY TURKEY posted:

It's literally just the text, and 95% of the text was already in the regular version anyway, so it's not like they would have to do very much at all.

The problem with porting 358/2 Days is that tons of cutscenes used both screens, and would lose that effect. The only way I could conceivably see this working would be with the WiiU tablet. And even then, I doubt they would put together an entire new game just for an HD re-release. Chain of Memories definitely needed the PS2 remake because of its relevance to the overall plot. Days does not.

Can someone spoil for me why these scenes can not possibly be presented on a single screen? I really don't understand why there is no way to do these particular scenes in a comic panel style/other cinematography trickery, yet everyone is chiming in that it would be ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

SnakesRevenge posted:

Can someone spoil for me why these scenes can not possibly be presented on a single screen? I really don't understand why there is no way to do these particular scenes in a comic panel style/other cinematography trickery, yet everyone is chiming in that it would be ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE.

I think it's less "totally impossible" and more "pffft, square wouldn't put anything even vaguely resembling effort into this"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SnakesRevenge posted:

So, uh, what does 'comic panel style' mean?

Transparent overlay might work like one guy earlier suggested, but there's one of the dual-screen cutscenes that's almost identical top and bottom except for one element that is, of course, crucial.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SnakesRevenge posted:

I was mostly thinking of this one (spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib16-CVaQYo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6U7etZWQuU
I'm not quite sure when the bottom half begins, but I actually found it pretty sad. I can't see it working with just one screen.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 1, 2012

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

So, uh, what does 'comic panel style' mean?

Transparent overlay might work like one guy earlier suggested, but there's one of the dual-screen cutscenes that's almost identical top and bottom except for one element that is, of course, crucial.

By that I mean just have a couple 'panels' side-by-side (or offset however looks good), that show what's going on in each screen. Seems simple enough to me.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

quote:

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] is set to release in Europe on July 20, 2012. The European store "GAME" has revealed that they will be giving away a small bonus with pre-orders of the game-- a small Halloween Town-themed Sora dangling keychain.
As much as I like Sora's Halloween costume, I really wanted the special 3DS :argh: I'm really bummed Europe isn't getting it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A couple cool things:

a blog entry on Square's website about the voice talent in KH3D. Notably, that Hayden Panetierre is playing Xion, and not Alyson Stoner like in 358/2 Days. If you don't know, Hayden has always voiced Kairi (except in Days). I see why they did this, and I am glad, but I was just a little surprised.

Also, on the Kingdom Hearts Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KingdomHearts they have the E3 trailer. I AM EXCITED!

EDIT: The E3 trailer shows a lot of previously shown footage, but now in English. There are a lot of things that weren't in that 10 minute trailer.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 1, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

quote:

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] is set to release in Europe on July 20, 2012. The European store "GAME" has revealed that they will be giving away a small bonus with pre-orders of the game-- a small Halloween Town-themed Sora dangling keychain.

Who the gently caress is going to preorder anything from Game ever again?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Who the gently caress is going to preorder anything from Game ever again?

Having your preorder cancelled with no prior warning is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for gamers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the customer than on the retail chain. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

(had to do it)

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The GIG posted:

And I'm pretty sure the series needs it, considering all the extra story they shoved into the Final Mixes that we didn't really get.

As an aside, when we inevitably get the Coliseum return trip, who do you think the mandatory "FF hero who dun' goofed and sided with Hades" will be? (It will most likely be Lightning, but still.)

I'd say it's more because Lighting is the modern FF character perfect for shilling, like Cloud was, considering FF13-2's marketing was almost entirely that. It's sort of amusing Cloud and Lightning are ending up pretty similar in more ways that we expected. :v: That said, Cloud was the oldguard rep in both the original console games so I really wouldn't mind his exclusion completely if it meant Sephiroth never shows up in the game ever again. I can't think of a recent hero-villian duo with the same amount of fan backing though.

Actually ,Considering Square shot down the only two fan theories that I thought merited them being put in ("Seph is Cloud's Nobody" & "Cloud is in the Herc world because CLoud did the same thing as Megara did to revive a lover")why exactly IS Seph running around being a dick and why is CLoud chasing him (since Aeris is clearly alive)?

(Also am I the only person who'd be totally cool with a game entirely about the weird KH equivalents of the FF crew, just as a fun silly game?)

keet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 1, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

Actually ,Considering Square shot down the only two fan theories that I thought merited them being put in ("Seph is Cloud's Nobody" & "Cloud is in the Herc world because CLoud did the same thing as Megara did to revive a lover")why exactly IS Seph running around being a dick and why is CLoud chasing him (since Aeris is clearly alive)?

Birth by Sleep includes Zack and ends with a not-so-subtle implication that he gets Sephiroth'd.

I really don't think "Zack gets killed to set off Cloud's story arc" needs a spoiler because that is the dude's most defining trait.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

Birth by Sleep includes Zack and ends with a not-so-subtle implication that he gets Sephiroth'd.

I really don't think "Zack gets killed to set off Cloud's story arc" needs a spoiler because that is the dude's most defining trait.

and he was banging Aeris.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MARTY TURKEY posted:

and he was banging Aeris.

Hey, now, there's no sex in Disney; only storks and adoptions. :colbert:

And besides, she was totally letting Cid and Merlin double-team her. :v:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

ALso despite Nomura jokes I'm noticing one more minor design gimmick. A shitload of characters in this, and characters Nomura has gone on record to liking, have really intense blue eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So who knows exactly how seriously to take this comment, but in this interview:

http://youtu.be/vQgCe5o3Bhw

Co-Director of Kingdom Hearts 3D says "Kingdom Hearts 3D really directly connects to Kingdom Hearts 3"

Also he says they'd love to do some Pixar worlds so maybe that will happen at some point too :buddy:

edit: I would like a KH3 level based on Wreck-it Ralph. I can't even imagine how they would do it but I want it.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 8, 2012