Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I never found the battles in this game hard, minus the optional superbosses, of course. However, there was a point later on where I just got stuck. I had to haul off and buy the guide because I just could not figure out where to go next. In retrospect, it was pretty obvious and it was probably my own drat fault for not picking up on the hints. I must have stopped playing late at night and plum forgot where I was supposed to go by the time I picked it up again in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
This update is amazing, Elentor. I would legitimately pay :20bux: for a full guide in that style, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
That was awesome. You totally caught the spirit of those magazines!

The only worry I had was that the lack of screenshots would not make things clear to the readers who have not played the game but then in the end you took care of that with extra screenies from the date. :toot:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

That was beautiful and made me nostalgic for my old subscription to Swedish Super Play magazine. The days before the internet could provide you with everything and you actually played the stuff on the included demo disc regardless of whether it was something that interested you or not. Good times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fuckin sweet. Looks exactly like the FF7 guide from Brady Games; that guide had so many inaccuracies.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Leavemywife posted:

At first, I honestly thought that was from an old, lovely magazine. Well-done, Elentor.

Ditto. It's so spot-on.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Great LP. Awesome update. The magazine part reminded me of the FFIX magazine guide I had, except more accurate.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

second-hand smegma posted:

Fuckin sweet. Looks exactly like the FF7 guide from Brady Games; that guide had so many inaccuracies.

I tried to find mine earlier but it wasn't where it's supposed to be. :(

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
That really reminds me of my FF7 guide. I'd say you did a great job on recreating the look/feel of old game guides.

Does Tifa react any different to Cait Sith at the end of the date, or is the only change something like Marlene saying "Tifa?" rather than "It's the Flower Lady!"?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TurnipFritter posted:

They really, truly do. It was certainly nice for the game to give the player something awesome to look at during all the :words:

The whole hotel is a great demonstration of how awesome and whimsical PSX RPG backgrounds were.

That reveal would probably be more impactful if it wasn't a character who just forced his way into the party out of nowhere for no reason at all.

"I'm a spy and handed over the important thing we need. Can't I keep traveling with you?"

NO!!!! In fact, since you told me that the cat is just a puppet, I think I'll just kill you and not feel any bit of guilt! (I really hope that that thing is out of the party for good.)

Are you going to start the next update by going into the temple and showing the scenes that you just summarized in the magazine bit?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PROTIP: To defeat Sephiroth, shoot at him until he dies.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

"I'm a spy and handed over the important thing we need. Can't I keep traveling with you?"

NO!!!! In fact, since you told me that the cat is just a puppet, I think I'll just kill you and not feel any bit of guilt! (I really hope that that thing is out of the party for good.)

He's not, I'm afraid. He never left; he simply hangs the threat of violence on Marlene and blackmails himself into staying. I don't really mind it so much now (I was livid as a teenager, though) because this was another thing I had never seen before, and it's an interesting idea that there is someone in your party who is not on your side and there's nothing you can do abourt it. Still, it would have been at least more palatable if there had been another reason Cait Sith had to stay. Such as, for example: when Cloud brings up the "We can't trust you any more" thing, Cait Sith says, "Well, right back at you!" and lists the party's numerous acts of terrorism, murder, and other illegal activities already discussed in the thread, and makes the point that the only real difference between the Turks and the main characters is that the party isn't paid as well. That would have at least been an explanation of why he did this. But anyway, it's years ago today.

And that was great stuff, Elentor! I swear, I thought that was an old strategy magazine until I read it. Top notch work!

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Been lurking this entire time, but had to post now to say that yeah, that was amazing.

Even after seeing the mention of you at the bottom of the first page, I half thought the rest was just stripped from a magazine and photoshopped or something. Really excellent work on recapturing the feel of those

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fantastic job with the "magazine". It really did capture the feel of those guides. Also...

This needs to have an FF8 SeeD payment pop-up photoshopped onto it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

resurgam40 posted:

He's not, I'm afraid. He never left; he simply hangs the threat of violence on Marlene and blackmails himself into staying. I don't really mind it so much now (I was livid as a teenager, though) because this was another thing I had never seen before, and it's an interesting idea that there is someone in your party who is not on your side and there's nothing you can do abourt it. Still, it would have been at least more palatable if there had been another reason Cait Sith had to stay. Such as, for example: when Cloud brings up the "We can't trust you any more" thing, Cait Sith says, "Well, right back at you!" and lists the party's numerous acts of terrorism, murder, and other illegal activities already discussed in the thread, and makes the point that the only real difference between the Turks and the main characters is that the party isn't paid as well. That would have at least been an explanation of why he did this. But anyway, it's years ago today.

And that was great stuff, Elentor! I swear, I thought that was an old strategy magazine until I read it. Top notch work!

Watching the LP, in my mind kidnapping Marlene and threatening to hurt her makes Cait Sith and by extension Reeves an un-redeemable fuckwad and I don't get why Barret doesn't shoot Reeves in the face the first chance he gets (once Marlene is safe, of course).

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I was scrolling up and down trying to figure out where Elentor ended and the scanned-in strategy guide began.

One thing I did question though, regarding the Tifa date. I was under the impression that was less of a confession of feelings and more...The conflicting issues she was afraid to bring up earlier in Kalm.
(Sorry if that's too vague or too obvious. I'm trying really hard not to spoil anything)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Yuffie's date is the best date though. It's a shame you have to go through such BS to unlock it without deliberately messing up the recruitment stage.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I'm so excited! We're about to get the sweetest weapon in the whole game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Joining the chorus of "that was really great!" Reading your "strategy guide" felt like visiting an old friend.

Are you planning to show off some of the other outcomes of the play during the dates?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

second-hand smegma posted:

People constantly say the same thing about FF8; but these games usually don't get broken on the first playthrough, so claiming that they're easy to break 'with a little knowledge' is either moot or daft or both.
Most people I know broke both games the first time through, FF8 with 100% certainty and FF7 with 2 people just kinda trudging through.

Learning how to break it is readily apparently, although obviously there's layers to it.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I really appreciate how much effort that must have taken.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
See this? This is the point where I stopped playing FF7 when I was a kid. That first loving screen. I kept getting lost and couldn't make it to the boulders. When I replayed the game literally ten years later, I had a friend with a strategy guide reading off directions.

Elentor, you're doing a fantastic job with this LP. These past couple of days I have been repeatedly checking the thread for new updates, and this has been one hell of a payoff. I thought that the images were from a real magazine too until it started referencing LP. :golfclap:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Geostomp posted:

No, but the idea that your friends and family will go back to starving if you don't do this does serve as a nice motivation to ignore that little voice in the back of your head telling you that what you're doing isn't right.

This issue is also part of the back story to several halfdozen later characters (and in my headcanon, part of the intentional designs of the Turks as "just following orders") so I'd say it's intentional.

re: Date, it still impresses me that Square, even its in current form, have always quite classy and tactfully vague in addressing the romantic overtones of that series (KH repeated that, but its younger kids and not really a plot-point). As a kid I always thought there was something odd to how Aeris and Tifa act in scenes like that, and thru a second playthrough you catch the double meaning in what a lot of it actually is, which makes it way more complicated.

It's kind of like how Cait Sith is kind of a dick in how he does things, till you realize thats sort of the environment ShinRa cultivates. Frankly you can even make a case that early on, every character in the *party* is pretty duplicitious, at least in the sense they're holding back on hypocritical things they do/did/think, and each character's arc finishes up with them basically realizing it.

Anyway, I'd argue most jrpgs and especially Square games, all of them become rather easy if you learn how to "break" them, which really just means when (and how quickly) you learn how the battle system works and how to exploit it. If the mechanics are obtuse, it's difficult.

keet fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 1, 2012

MC Jigsaw
Aug 1, 2008

Monocles are the staple eyewear of villainy.
Did you just Hideo Kojima your own let's play? loving brilliant!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Wow, Elentor. That was incredible. I actually thought that was legit from that mini-guide in the back of the instruction manual. Bravo sir, bravo. I can't imagine how much effort that must have taken. Thank you for providing us with a year of free entertainment. :unsmith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alkarl posted:

Wow, Elentor. That was incredible. I actually thought that was legit from that mini-guide in the back of the instruction manual. Bravo sir, bravo. I can't imagine how much effort that must have taken. Thank you for providing us with a year of free entertainment. :unsmith:

Guess what my FF7 manual came with!

It's just the first reactor mission so it tells you nothing very useful.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
That magazine section really brought me back to the good old pre-mass internet days of the mid-late 90's and for a while I though they were scans of real magazines. Great job Elentor and keep it for for the next year of this LP.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't know how the hell so many of you thought they were scans of a "real magazine" when the first three words at the top of the first image are "Elentor's Let's Play" and the bottom of page 1 says "Something Awful Magazine."

Now, nailing the style of an old school guide? Yeah, definitely :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2012

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nailing the style 100%. That was brilliant.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That was so drat great

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Jumping on the praise train, cause there ain't no gettin' offa it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Psion posted:

I don't know how the hell so many of you thought they were scans of a "real magazine" when the first three words at the top of the first image are "Elentor's Let's Play" and the bottom of page 1 says "Something Awful Magazine."

Now, nailing the style of an old school guide? Yeah, definitely :v:

My favorite touch was the address you send your questions to. But at first glance, it did look like a particularly poorly laid out (read: any) gaming magazine. You really blew that out of the water, Elentor.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Broken Box posted:

Jumping on the praise train, cause there ain't no gettin' offa it.

Next stop: Elentor-continues-to-be-awesome Central. :iia:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, I'm just repeating everyone else here, but that was really very neat. It's pretty much a perfect imitation of old JRPG strategy guides. Great work and keep it up!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Everything has been said already, but holy crap the whole second half of that update was amazing.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008
The corny jokes were just perfect. I had a big goofy grin on my face the whole time I was reading.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That was the best update so far. And what a great way to celebreat the first birthday of the thread!

Thanks for the great LP, and happy birthday to the LP!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mom had me throw out my gaming magazines and that somehow included SMB3, FF3, and Earthbound. :argh: The FFV-VI combo guide was poo poo and not even with good artwork.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ahahahahahahahahaha I don't know if this is enough preparing but if I don't progress my entrails will rebel :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You crazy bastard. Also well done on the style of the magazines. GOD brady guides were such a lovely rear end guide. Hell I still have my FF8 PC Guide one. Ya know, the thick little book. Probably the worst offender was DQ8. Holy hell it was a bad guide. I know bonus stuff is bonus stuff, but at least cover the goddamn bonus dungeons instead of saying HARD ENEMIES, be HIGH level.

gently caress you Brady Guide.

• Locked thread