Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Does anyone have any experience with Citrix XenDesktop in a Split-scope DHCP environment? (That is, the suffix of the FQDN doesn't completely match the domain. Domain is ds.contoso.com, FQDNs are Computer.subdomain.contoso.com)

The VMs for my trial deployment are being successfully created, but they aren't registering with the DDC. I can issue power state commands and put the VMs in and out of maintenance mode (and console/RDP to them), but they refuse to register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Moey posted:

Is that really showing a big performance difference? I thought from previous reading it was only like a 10-20% gain in most case. For some reasons my boss keeps claiming it will be a 9 to 1 performance difference. :v:

10-20% gains can have a much larger affect on applications as a whole when you are talking about something that makes disk waits pile up.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Does anyone have any experience dealing with large local disks in ESX? I've been reading about issues with virtual disks larger than 2TB and I'm not really sure how to handle this.
I have a single host with 12 900GB drives and I don't know how to handle it in a way that's both redundant and plays well with ESX without losing a ton of disk in the process.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should be able to make a RAID array like normal, create several volumes, then present those to ESX. I think. I've never actually done it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Can I ask what you want to use that much local disk for anyway? Just curious.

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
Can anyone comment on how well a virtual machine can handle 3d games (diablo 3, dota 2, etc)?

I realize that playing games is not really the aim of virtualization but wondering how well it work assuming I gave the virtual machine enough power.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

You should be able to make a RAID array like normal, create several volumes, then present those to ESX. I think. I've never actually done it.

I think he wants a big VMFS partition, but those aren't supported above 2TB.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Naes posted:

Can anyone comment on how well a virtual machine can handle 3d games (diablo 3, dota 2, etc)?

I realize that playing games is not really the aim of virtualization but wondering how well it work assuming I gave the virtual machine enough power.

Let me start off by saying that this is an awful terrible idea. But, you asked -

I don't know about Hyper-V or VMware View but it should technically be possible on XenDesktop as it has the ability to assign/share a GPU to a virtual session. Assuming you gave it enough bandwidth. I'm sure VMware View is working on the same thing, if they don't have the feature already.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Naes posted:

This is how most mac users play games from my understanding v0v.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is how most mac users play games from my understanding v0v.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood the question. I assumed he was talking about connecting to a remote virtual machine, not running something like VMware Fusion. Yes, some people using Macs do that. Most use Bootcamp, though. Less of a headache in the long run.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think he wants a big VMFS partition, but those aren't supported above 2TB.

ESXi 5.X supports SCSI devices over 2TB though individual virtual disks are still limited to 2TB-512B.

A single 64TB VMFS filesystem is also possible in 4.X though you need to use 32 2TB extents to create it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh, maybe I misunderstood the question. I assumed he was talking about connecting to a remote virtual machine, not running something like VMware Fusion. Yes, some people using Macs do that. Most use Bootcamp, though. Less of a headache in the long run.
Fusion 8 DX performance is atrocious.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
DirectPath I/O passthrough of a videocard is the only way to get native PCI-E GPU performance in a VM, but it's not a painless affair to get working. You'll need a monitor attached to the videocard, VT-D support (if you're Intel), and a very modern GPU that will work with this configuration. Some of them don't take kindly to memory holes and mapping that occurs for VM operation (at least on VMware).

This is definitely an area that will be developed more in ESXi. Even vmotion might be possible later if each server has the same GPU. It's just more processor and memory to allocate/reserve/share/balloon, etc.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 2, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm having some host-only network problems in VMware Player. My two VMs are getting IP addresses and stuff from dhcp and can communicate with the gateway, but not with each other. Everything's pretty much out-of-the-box with the exception of adding the default gateway in the dhcp config file (it didn't work beforehand either, and I added it in hopes that they just didn't know how to get from A to B). What should I try in troubleshooting this? Networking is not my strong suit unfortunately.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What network are the VMs on? Usually by default desktop virtualization programs make a NAT for the VMs, you have to modify them a bit to be on you're real LAN.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

nahanahs posted:

Does anyone have any experience dealing with large local disks in ESX? I've been reading about issues with virtual disks larger than 2TB and I'm not really sure how to handle this.
I have a single host with 12 900GB drives and I don't know how to handle it in a way that's both redundant and plays well with ESX without losing a ton of disk in the process.

My enviroment before I got some EMC poo poo was 2+ TB storage per host, large local disks are only a problem pre VMFS-3 where the 2TB limit is in place, VMFS5 is GPT and +2tb

Naes posted:

TF2 works well in VM 2012 beta with a 6790 not terribly great but decent

FISHMANPET posted:

What network are the VMs on? Usually by default desktop virtualization programs make a NAT for the VMs, you have to modify them a bit to be on you're real LAN.

Depends what your SLA's are and security needs are.
My enviroment each has their own type of VLAN depending on what they support

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 2, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

1000101 posted:

ESXi 5.X supports SCSI devices over 2TB though individual virtual disks are still limited to 2TB-512B.

A single 64TB VMFS filesystem is also possible in 4.X though you need to use 32 2TB extents to create it.

Heyooo, learn something new every day.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

They're on VMnet1. I think NAT is the default network type, but they're both set to host-only, and the IP addresses they're getting are in the range I expect them to be. Here's the definition from vmnetdhcp.conf:

code:
subnet 192.168.184.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.184.128 192.168.184.254;            # default allows up to 125 VM's
option broadcast-address 192.168.184.255;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.184.1;
option domain-name "localdomain";
option routers 192.168.184.1;
default-lease-time 1800;
max-lease-time 7200;
}
host VMnet1 {
    hardware ethernet 00:50:56:C0:00:01;
    fixed-address 192.168.184.1;
    option domain-name-servers 0.0.0.0;
    option domain-name "";
}
The option routers line is the only change I've made here, but it was not working before that either. ipconfig from the two machines:
code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c5a6:1732:c885:a2bf%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.128
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.1
code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7c03:d18b:3e78:783d%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.129
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.1

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kachunkachunk posted:

This is definitely an area that will be developed more in ESXi. Even vmotion might be possible later if each server has the same GPU. It's just more processor and memory to allocate/reserve/share/balloon, etc.
Some of my researchers are going to wee themselves when we finally have hosts with a whole bunch of GPUs.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Would this be the right place to ask about OSX VM (using VirtualBox) inside of Windows?

I have a version up and running in virtualbox, but I need to adjust the resolution. To do this I need to edit a specific file but I cannot access the file because it is in the bootdisc iso that the vm is using to launch OSX. I either edit the file in the iso but when I try this the iso corrupts so I must be missing something when I save it, or I try to make the iso into a bootable VM drive but so far that hasn't worked.

I haven't really had anyone to talk about this with so I was hoping this would be a good place to find others who have gotten OSX running in VirtuaBox on Win7.

Physical fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 3, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Physical posted:

Would this be the right place to ask about OSX vm (using virtualbox) inside of windows?

I have a version up and running in virtualbox, but I need to adjust the resolution. To do this I need to edit a specific file but I cnnot access the file because it is in the BootDisc Iso that the vm is using to launch OSX. I either edit the file in the iso but when I try this the iso corrupts so I must be missing something when I save it, or I try to make the iso into a bootable VM drive but so far that hasn't worked.

did you install the tools for the VM? if not try to click on it

also
http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Short question about a 'best practice' for my scenario.

We have two vshpere hosts, with a vcenter server running on one of them. If the server that is hosting vsphere goes down, I lose HA and the ability to vmotion our VMs on to the other host, correct?

If that is the case, what will I do if that host does in fact go down, taking vcenter with it?

edit - the point being I would want to get the production servers up and running as soon as I could.

Swink fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 3, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Swink posted:

Short question about a 'best practice' for my scenario.

We have two vshpere hosts, with a vcenter server running on one of them. If the server that is hosting vsphere goes down, I lose HA and the ability to vmotion our VMs on to the other host, correct?

If that is the case, what will I do if that host does in fact go down, taking vcenter with it?

edit - the point being I would want to get the production servers up and running as soon as I could.

Yes, that would all happen. If it goes down you use the vsphere client to log in directly to the host and boot the VM back up.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Swink posted:

HA runs independently of vcenter. If you lose a host, the other host(s) should start powering up VMs after the heartbeat fails.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Is there a way to make an RDP-connection smoother? I'd like to have more of a "proper" desktop experience in one of them.

The server is using Windows Server 2008 R2 running Hyper-V.

Server specs:
I-5 2.6ghz quad core
16 GB of RAM

4 windows XP virtual machines.

The VHD's are all on the server's SSD hard drive.
Everything is going through my gigabit router and I've checked the speeds and they are consistently excellent.

I'd like to be able to watch youtube clips on one of them smoothly. Is that possible? It's choppy as hell at the moment, and the sound lags.

And no, this is not in an business or company environment. The server is in my closet and I have full control of everything.

Any ideas?

Bhm fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 3, 2012

microserf
Jul 11, 2006
For an included-with-Windows option check out RemoteFX. Personally I'm more familiar with Citrix' HDX flash redirection that will usually send the Flash to the client for rendering, but this is Microsoft's solution. It needs 2008 R2 SP1 and the latest RDC.

e: Oops missed the XP thing. Yeah, that won't do it.

microserf fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 3, 2012

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Bhm posted:

Is there a way to make an RDP-connection smoother? I'd like to have more of a "proper" desktop experience in one of them.

The server is using Windows Server 2008 R2 running Hyper-V.

Server specs:
I-5 2.6ghz quad core
16 GB of RAM

4 windows XP virtual machines.

The VHD's are all on the server's SSD hard drive.
Everything is going through my gigabit router and I've checked the speeds and they are consistently excellent.

I'd like to be able to watch youtube clips on one of them smoothly. Is that possible? It's choppy as hell at the moment, and the sound lags.

And no, this is not in an business or company environment. The server is in my closet and I have full control of everything.

Any ideas?

Its entirely possible. Stick a supported video card in the server and install remotefx on the server. Then go to the hardware config of the vm in hyper-v and assign it a remotefx video adapter instead of a standard adapter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RemoteFX isn't going to work in this situation as the VMs are Windows XP. RemoteFX only works with Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise VMs.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Is there a way to extract performance metrics from vCenter to another graphing tool? I'd like to take the graphs I can see in vSphere Client under the "Performance" tab and get them into something like Graphite or Munin. I looked a bit at SNMP, but vCenter only has traps, no performance counters at all.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Is there a way to extract performance metrics from vCenter to another graphing tool? I'd like to take the graphs I can see in vSphere Client under the "Performance" tab and get them into something like Graphite or Munin. I looked a bit at SNMP, but vCenter only has traps, no performance counters at all.

You can export to Excel, and from there go pretty much anywhere (you might be able to do CSV directly). Of course, it's a manual process. Also, you could probably query SQL directly.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Erwin posted:

You can export to Excel, and from there go pretty much anywhere (you might be able to do CSV directly). Of course, it's a manual process. Also, you could probably query SQL directly.

I was thinking more along the line of real-time information, so that's not really useful. Any ideas on where I could find the counters in SQL?

Splunk seems to have a statistics forwarder for vCenter, so it's definitely doable somehow.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
Is the VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit with vSphere Storage Appliance a good deal if we have two Dell R710 servers and we would like to have HA?

Is vSphere Storage a good cheap alternative to a NAS/SAN?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unless it's massively improved recently, no.
And last time I checked the VSA was entry level SAN money anyway.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
With the essentials plus kit the VSA costs about $3k, is there any entry level SAN that could server a few R710's for around (+-2k) that?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
VSA pricing makes a little more sense when bundled with Essentials Plus, but it still has a lot of drawbacks like not being extendable beyond your initial setup and/or 3 nodes, large storage overhead, unrecommended to run vCenter on the same nodes as VSA runs, etc. I'd personally rather pitch an entry level SAN for a few more thousand dollars.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Mierdaan posted:

Can I ask what you want to use that much local disk for anyway? Just curious.

We've got a deal where we can get individual machines and lots of disk pretty cheap, to the point where it's way more economical than network storage.

1000101 posted:

Do you know where I can read about setting up extents? This is a new concept for me. I'm not sure if I do something with a single or multiple virtual disks and then install or what.
The real key for me is getting a setup with both some kind of redundancy and using as much disk as I can. We're big on burning a candle at both ends and then wondering why it melted.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

three posted:

VSA pricing makes a little more sense when bundled with Essentials Plus, but it still has a lot of drawbacks like not being extendable beyond your initial setup and/or 3 nodes, large storage overhead, unrecommended to run vCenter on the same nodes as VSA runs, etc. I'd personally rather pitch an entry level SAN for a few more thousand dollars.

What would be an example of an entry level SAN for a couple servers?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

nahanahs posted:

Do you know where I can read about setting up extents? This is a new concept for me. I'm not sure if I do something with a single or multiple virtual disks and then install or what.
The real key for me is getting a setup with both some kind of redundancy and using as much disk as I can. We're big on burning a candle at both ends and then wondering why it melted.

Extents are just one of many ways you can grow a VMFS filesystem. Extents are not a means of making 1 big monster VMDK so you'll still end up creating a bunch of 2TB VMDKs and slinging them together with LVM. Since this is undesirable to some then your best bet is to use a physical mode RDM with whatever fancy features your storage supports to grow the device.

If you tell me more about your problem and what you're trying to do to solve it I could probably provide more help.

Doc link; hopefully this works:
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc_50%2FGUID-8AE88758-20C1-4873-99C7-181EF9ACFA70.html

Not sure if this is exactly what you want though.

Basically extents are concatenation; once the first device fills up it starts to spill into the second device. The positive is you get another LUN queue to send data to but the negative side is now you've got two separate devices with one filesystem spanned over it. If you do this and use storage replication you'll need to make sure the LUNs are in the same consistency group (EMC term)/volume (netapp vernacular) to make sure they're replicated at on the same schedule.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

1000101 posted:

If you tell me more about your problem and what you're trying to do to solve it I could probably provide more help.

Awesome, thank you.

I have a ton of local disk and I'd like it to show up as a single data store. I'm not concerned with any VMDKs getting over 2TB (nothing should get any larger than 1, if that).

Posting from my phone right now, but I'll look at the doc you posted when I get to work as well. Thanks again!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I need to use ESXi 4.1 for this. We'd lose too much memory with the memory limitation in 5. Is this still possible?

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nahanahs posted:

We've got a deal where we can get individual machines and lots of disk pretty cheap, to the point where it's way more economical than network storage.

Roll your own SAN/NAS by getting an individual machine with lots of disk.