Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That's so loving weird because Gomi had already lost to Guida and Florian in the UFC at that point and can't imagine anyone thought he actually stood a chance. Gomi's whole thing is having insane punching power, but that's irrelevant against a Diaz chin. Besides, in technique Diaz had the clear advantage, standing or on the ground. Aside from being the first person to ever knock Diaz out (and only the second to finish him), exactly what avenue of victory did they think Gomi was going to have? It's not like he was going to wrestle gently caress him, which has been the traditional way to beat a Diaz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
nick diaz vs takanori gomi bro

not nate, which happened many years later.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Oh god I'm retarded. Thank you for clarifying that because I really couldn't wrap my mind around Nate being the underdog against Gomi.

Must suck though that Gomi lost to both brothers.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Why do promotions still hire Bob Sapp? He's not exactly a big name, he's awful, you get no credibility for beating him (if anything a fighter's reputation is damaged from even being in the ring with him), his fights are terrible, and you're lucky if they last longer than a minute.

Is he any kind of draw? I just don't understand the appeal to promotions on any level.

I mean, I get the appeal on a carcrash level obviously. But when a guy's last 3 fights look like this:

Loss, Submission (Punches)
Loss, Submission (Takedown)
Loss, KO (invisible punch)
Total time in the ring: 4 minutes

...what promotor thinks 'hmm yes, I'm going to build my entire night around promoting a main event that will last a minute tops, where the guy loses without even throwing a punch.'?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 13, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The promotions booking Bob Sapp are looking for a freakshow bodybuilder who can make their hometown guy look like a thunderpunching god of war for fifteen seconds and send the crowd home happy. He delivers every single time.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Bob Sapp is a big name, at least as far as C-leagues go, and he's almost guaranteed to lose to your top star, usually by KO. Everything else you said is accurate, but this is the C-leagues we're talking about, no one has credibility and all the fights are terrible.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

This is why: $$$. Promotions are looking to make money today, not in a few years from now by slowly and sustainably building up large enough MMA communities.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

i'd probably pay money to get hammered and watch bob sapp if he came near me

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I wish he didn't do that crying thing, though.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

cisneros posted:

I wish he didn't do that crying thing, though.

Someone hasn't seen Cro Cop/Sapp enough times.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Manny Pacquiao spoke out against gay marriage.

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business
In an interview with the Examiner.com, Pacquiao, now a legislator in the Philippines, said, “God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other.”

Calling gay marriage an “abomination,” Pacquiao referenced the Bible, saying “It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of old.”

Professional fighter believes retarded thing, film at 11.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
fighters who are also politicians in very conservative catholic countries say things the public wants to hear, news whenever my twitter updates.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

texas chili bowl posted:

In an interview with the Examiner.com, Pacquiao, now a legislator in the Philippines, said, “God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other.”

Calling gay marriage an “abomination,” Pacquiao referenced the Bible, saying “It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of old.”

Professional fighter believes retarded thing, film at 11.

I love that dumb people think that Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed because of gay sex (lol sodom sounds like sodomy), when the actual story is so much worse.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Like fatherdog says, try to separate who guys are in the ring from who they are as people and you'll probably enjoy combat sports a lot more.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ůh what about Pat Barry, Genki Sudo, Tom Lawlor, etc etc etc

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
for Barry and Lawlor just do the reverse

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I love that dumb people think that Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed because of gay sex (lol sodom sounds like sodomy), when the actual story is so much worse.
sodomy sounds like sodom because that's where the word comes from.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nocturama posted:

sodomy sounds like sodom because that's where the word comes from.

But that's skipping over the part where two whole cities try to gang rape some angels and then Lot going all "rape my daughters instead of these kind strangers". Like, gay sex is basically the coolest thing going on in that story.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

maffew buildings posted:

for Barry and Lawlor just do the reverse

Patty Barry does exactly what I want him to do, which is win fights in funny ways or lose them in funny ways.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Floyd Mayweather, on the other hand, said on twitter that he supports gay marriage. Ben Henderson too. So that's pretty cool in my book.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I imagine Floyd's statement was purely a reaction to what Pacquaio said, and I doubt he cares either way.

Bendo did however confirm to me that he is a nice and awesome dude, so as a fan of Our Gay Sport™ I'll give him all the amens he wants.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
not caring about gay marriage should be the most normal thing in the world for heterosexuals

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

not caring about gay marriage should be the most normal thing in the world for heterosexuals

I tend to agree, gently caress anyone who denies people happiness because of their interpretation of a boring book.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Bendo is a good man & cool guy unafraid to hang out with his mom.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

I imagine Floyd's statement was purely a reaction to what Pacquaio said, and I doubt he cares either way.

Bendo did however confirm to me that he is a nice and awesome dude, so as a fan of Our Gay Sport™ I'll give him all the amens he wants.

Yeah, it's hard to be annoyed by a guy who's really into his religion when he actually follows it to the letter of not hating his fellow man.

Back to hating Jones I guess.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Does anyone have a link to that thread of the oddball MMA personalities? Or was it here in the Q&A thread?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Perdido posted:

Does anyone have a link to that thread of the oddball MMA personalities? Or was it here in the Q&A thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386340&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
surprisingly hard to find via Google.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

that's because it's archived

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So been watching old Pride. There seems to be a lot of worked matches and or long boring matches.

When did Pride really start getting hot?

Is there an event I can just skip to without feeling bad?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LordPants posted:

So been watching old Pride. There seems to be a lot of worked matches and or long boring matches.

You should watch all Sakuraba matches, but PRIDE didn't really start getting good till the first GP.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LordPants posted:

Someone might correct me, but I think some of the early pride did feature a lot of worked matches, whereby one of the two fighters were paid to lose or both fighters knew exactly what was happening and it was more choreographed.

The first GP is awesome, a lot of Hendo's fights are cool, Takanori Gomi has some cool fights, when the UFC crossed over was good, Phil Baroni throwing down was cool in his day.

Big Nog, sakuraba, nogueira, Sakurai, I'd mentioned Mark Hunt and Gono as dudes to watch too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll skip straight to the GP then, maybe watching early Vitor, Wanderlei and Sakuraba.

In terms of the history of Pride, it's pretty clear that Takada's matches were fixed (apart from Pride 1, obviously), and any other time a Japanese guy won it has to be highly suspicious in the early days.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LordPants posted:

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll skip straight to the GP then, maybe watching early Vitor, Wanderlei and Sakuraba.

In terms of the history of Pride, it's pretty clear that Takada's matches were fixed (apart from Pride 1, obviously), and any other time a Japanese guy won it has to be highly suspicious in the early days.

Chael Sonnen mentioned this in his podcast with Joe Rogan (which is a great listen anyway), so I don't know whether it's factually accurate (it might be partially accurate), but he talks about one guy only getting a pay off and it was a way to get guys like Wanderlei and Crocop over.

They'd offer Mr Pro Wrestle-san a fight and pay him say 10k to go down in the 2nd from a head kick. So they might do their best to survive the first 10 minutes and then keep their hands low inviting the high kick, and even if they could shake it off they play dead (sometimes they probably were knocked the gently caress out). Meanwhile Crocop just thinks he's destroyed some dude so his elation is real.

Again, take it from what it's worth because Chael spits a lot of lies, but it makes sense for a good chunk of the early matches anyway, even the ones not featuring big time stars to be.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

BlindSite posted:

Again, take it from what it's worth because Chael spits a lot of lies, but it makes sense for a good chunk of the early matches anyway, even the ones not featuring big time stars to be.

I'm not sure I really buy Chael's reasoning in regards to Silva and Crocop, since I assume most, if not all, works would have been in favour of Japanese fighters, not forigners. Silva's and Crocop's records probably got padded a fair bit in Japan, but I assume that was more from fighting bad and/or undersized competition, not so much from actual dives.

I assumed that Chael singled those two out for who benefited from worked fights just because he likes to take them down a few notches every chance he gets. It didn't seem like he actually knew any hard facts about any fights being works, apart from Mark Coleman taking a dive against Takada.

It's never mentioned by the way, but am I the only one who kind of feel that Frye - Takayama was a worked fight, at least to some extent? Two pro wrestlers and a slugfest that sort of was a bit too good to be true.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 4, 2012

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

I'm not sure I really buy Chael's reasoning in regards to Silva and Crocop, since I assume most, if not all, works would have been in favour of Japanese fighters, not forigners. Silva's and Crocop's records probably got padded a fair bit in Japan, but I assume that was more from fighting bad and/or undersized competition, not so much from actual dives.

I assumed that Chael singled those two out for who benefited from worked fights just because he likes to take them down a few notches every chance he gets. It didn't seem like he actually knew any hard facts about any fights being works, apart from Mark Coleman taking a dive against Takada.

IIt's never mentioned by the way, but am I the only one who kind of feel that Frye Takayama was a worked fight, at least to some extent? Two pro wrestlers and a slugfest that sort of was a bit too good to be true.

He did mention another Don Frye fight where it was the worst bump he'd ever seen but I can't remember who is opponent was.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

DekeThornton posted:

It's never mentioned by the way, but am I the only one who kind of feel that Frye Takayama was a worked fight, at least to some extent? Two pro wrestlers and a slugfest that sort of was a bit too good to be true.

It wouldn't surprise me if the single collar tie shootout was pre-arranged, because it's Japan, but it also wouldn't surprise me at all if it was completely organic, because it's Don Frye.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Steve Glutenberg posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the single collar tie shootout was pre-arranged, because it's Japan, but it also wouldn't surprise me at all if it was completely organic, because it's Don Frye.

Well, at the end Takayama looks pretty damned beaten up, but that initial slugfest, especially the way they grab the back of each others heads and the way they punch, looks a little too much to me like they want to minimize the actual damage from their brawl.

But then I might be very well talking out off my rear end in regards to how to best mitigate damage from punches.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 4, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Saku's fight with Vernon White gets me wondering sometimes because there are a few points where you can see Vernon get ready to throw a strike, then catch himself and hold off. If you read between the lines, Quadros and Bas talk about it some in the commentary.

e: Of course Sakuraba ended up paying penance after Sakakibara decided it would be aces to legalize four-point attacks, ensuring that Saku would spend the next ten years being kneed in the skull by men twice his size.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

BlindSite posted:

Chael Sonnen mentioned this in his podcast with Joe Rogan (which is a great listen anyway), so I don't know whether it's factually accurate (it might be partially accurate), but he talks about one guy only getting a pay off and it was a way to get guys like Wanderlei and Crocop over.

They'd offer Mr Pro Wrestle-san a fight and pay him say 10k to go down in the 2nd from a head kick. So they might do their best to survive the first 10 minutes and then keep their hands low inviting the high kick, and even if they could shake it off they play dead (sometimes they probably were knocked the gently caress out). Meanwhile Crocop just thinks he's destroyed some dude so his elation is real.

Chael's not a smart person. Whether its a lie or what he really thinks, it doesn't make any sense. Bribing lovely fighters to lose is stupid.

What pride actually did as far as putting little dudes who had no business being there against guys like Wanderlei, Fedor, Cro Cop was already setting up one-sided beatdowns.

it really doesn't make sense

it might if cro cop and wanderlei didn't actually destroy good fighters on a normal basis, but they did and it doesn't

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 4, 2012