Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

The new Evo looks pretty nice...so much nicer than the current Evo I have that I'm considering dropping my old employee plan that I'm not "really" eligible for anymore to get it...

How feasible is it to try and switch to EPRP from an employee plan? I know with that plan I used to have to buy the phones outright then have my local Sprint rep get the phone activated, since it was a concession line.

Or is EPRP even the best deal? I use less than 2 hours of talk time a month, but a ton of texts and data.

Sorry, I haven't been on a real Sprint plan in a while...

Why would you do this? Seriously, just buy your phones outright, your plan is $30 a month with a smartphone.

Grumpwagon posted:

Sprint will replace the screen for $35, otherwise you can go on ebay and do it yourself. Duckman always says the Evo 4g's screen is very easy to replace. I'm pretty sure it's all one piece, but I've never opened one up, so I'll defer to someone more knowledgable on that one.

Evo screens are cheap, but I don't think $35 cheap. Otherwise you are on par. I would say take it in, see if they can fix it and if not they should swap it.

E screen is pretty much one piece, it literally is: pop open phone, remove one screw on the top right, pull out flex cables, and then remove screen. Reverse to place new screen on, ensure that you switched the earpiece, not all screens come with one. Even I can do it, and I'm horrible at mechanics.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
I dont have insurance/TEP/whatever its called now tho, will they still do it? I've already had it apart, to see if one of the flex cables is loose (it wasnt), so replacing it myself shouldnt be that big of a deal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tried to switch from EPRP to one with a 19% discount on "most regularly priced Sprint plans". I was told that it wasn't that big of a discount when I asked Sprint about it. The guy told me that it would be more than I'd pay on EPRP.

Is this true? Exactly how much is EPRP discounted percentage wise?

I'm currently on the Everything Plus 500 Plan, $59.99 but boosted to $87.58 due to Nebraska taxes and Sprint surcharges. Would it still be cheaper to keep EPRP or just switch to the 19% employee discount?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I tried to switch from EPRP to one with a 19% discount on "most regularly priced Sprint plans". I was told that it wasn't that big of a discount when I asked Sprint about it. The guy told me that it would be more than I'd pay on EPRP.

Is this true? Exactly how much is EPRP discounted percentage wise?

I'm currently on the Everything Plus 500 Plan, $59.99 but boosted to $87.58 due to Nebraska taxes and Sprint surcharges. Would it still be cheaper to keep EPRP or just switch to the 19% employee discount?

I can plug the math tomorrow, but I think its close but about equal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I can plug the math tomorrow, but I think its close but about equal.

Yeah, I was told it was about equal but wasn't sure how much EPRP was exactly. I think it's $10 off the normal price + a few more minutes on the plan.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I got a promotional mailing from Sprint. $50 Sprint Referral Rewards, on a Visa prepaid card for me and for the person I refer.

All it takes is three simple steps:

1. Visit https://sprint.com/promo
2. Enter code: iL16****
3. Register and enter your contacts email addresses to invite them to join Sprint.

So, if you were thinking about joining Sprint, email me or PM me and I'll send you an email invite. After 30 days of service, we'll each get a $50 prepaid Visa card.

email:

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 5, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

beamrider posted:

I dont have insurance/TEP/whatever its called now tho, will they still do it? I've already had it apart, to see if one of the flex cables is loose (it wasnt), so replacing it myself shouldnt be that big of a deal.
Yeah, as long as the screen isn't actually cracked, it's $35 without TEP.

Doing it yourself is kind of a pain in the rear end, you have to pry out the touchscreen to get to the LCD underneath, then basically tape it back down. Or get the all-in-one part and it's easy, but that will usually be more than $35.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I was told it was about equal but wasn't sure how much EPRP was exactly. I think it's $10 off the normal price + a few more minutes on the plan.
Yes, the difference is $10/mo off the plan and 50 additional minutes (500 vs 450). Most folks ignore the minutes since they don't matter much with any mobile. So a 15% discount or higher should match EPRP pricing on that plan, I think.

Now, one of the values of being on a regular plan is that you're eligible for third-party subsidized upgrades, e.g., through Best Buy or AmazonWireless, who often have better deals than what you can get through the EPRP store.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Out of curiosity, what does insurance do if your phone breaks and they don't make that phone anymore? My E3D is fine, but I can see myself dropping it in the toilet eventually by accident given my clumsy nature.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

blargle posted:

Out of curiosity, what does insurance do if your phone breaks and they don't make that phone anymore? My E3D is fine, but I can see myself dropping it in the toilet eventually by accident given my clumsy nature.

They give you a lovely refurb out of their stockpile of hilariously broken phones.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, as long as the screen isn't actually cracked, it's $35 without TEP.

Doing it yourself is kind of a pain in the rear end, you have to pry out the touchscreen to get to the LCD underneath, then basically tape it back down. Or get the all-in-one part and it's easy, but that will usually be more than $35.

It's a major pain to change if it's not an all in one unit. I actually cracked the LCD trying to get the digitizer to separate on an Evo4G; I think the "combined" parts were around $45 to $55.

On the bright side, my friend price matched a shady website so I got a Galaxy 2 for $50 back when the absolute cheapest I could find it was $150 with a contract upgrade

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have been waiting for a replacement EVO Shift close to 2 weeks now (they have the old one). Is there anyway I contact someone about replacing it with a different phone since it is taking so long?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Without insurance, how much would it cost to get a Nexus S 4G replaced if the vibration motor is going out? I sometimes get periods where the vibration almost is non-existent and stopping usage of the phone for a while usually fixes it. However, I'm not sure if it'll continue or get worse.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, the difference is $10/mo off the plan and 50 additional minutes (500 vs 450). Most folks ignore the minutes since they don't matter much with any mobile. So a 15% discount or higher should match EPRP pricing on that plan, I think.

Now, one of the values of being on a regular plan is that you're eligible for third-party subsidized upgrades, e.g., through Best Buy or AmazonWireless, who often have better deals than what you can get through the EPRP store.

I'll probably keep EPRP then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Without insurance, how much would it cost to get a Nexus S 4G replaced if the vibration motor is going out? I sometimes get periods where the vibration almost is non-existent and stopping usage of the phone for a while usually fixes it. However, I'm not sure if it'll continue or get worse.

I'll probably keep EPRP then.

Keep EPRP and $35 fee for a replacement.

goku chewbacca posted:

I got a promotional mailing from Sprint. $50 Sprint Referral Rewards, on a Visa prepaid card for me and for the person I refer.

All it takes is three simple steps:

1. Visit https://sprint.com/promo
2. Enter code: iL16****
3. Register and enter your contacts email addresses to invite them to join Sprint.

So, if you were thinking about joining Sprint, email me or PM me and I'll send you an email invite. After 30 days of service, we'll each get a $50 prepaid Visa card.

email: vince.landers (@at) Google's email service. Gmail .com

Check and see if there is a condition on ordering online, if there isnt I can hook yourself and others up on this.

nate fisher posted:

I have been waiting for a replacement EVO Shift close to 2 weeks now (they have the old one). Is there anyway I contact someone about replacing it with a different phone since it is taking so long?

drat that sucks. Call retentions.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 31, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Keep EPRP and $35 fee for a replacement.

Yah, I'll keep EPRP, the extra minutes do help and good to know it's not that expensive.

Would they be able to replace it in the (corporate) store or would I just get a refurb NS4G?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yah, I'll keep EPRP, the extra minutes do help and good to know it's not that expensive.

Would they be able to replace it in the (corporate) store or would I just get a refurb NS4G?

The vibration can't be fixed if it goes last I checked, so you would get a refurb nexus. Back your pictures up to google plus or your computer in case the store reps are lazy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The vibration can't be fixed if it goes last I checked, so you would get a refurb nexus. Back your pictures up to google plus or your computer in case the store reps are lazy.

Will do!

How are the refurb Nexus S' usually in terms of other various hardware problems? I remember I had to replace the one I originally bought due to a hardware defect with the screen but that was still in June 2011 so I think I just got a brand new one for free (as it just so happened I noticed it on the very last day of my 30-day warranty peroid).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Will do!

How are the refurb Nexus S' usually in terms of other various hardware problems? I remember I had to replace the one I originally bought due to a hardware defect with the screen but that was still in June 2011 so I think I just got a brand new one for free (as it just so happened I noticed it on the very last day of my 30-day warranty peroid).

Should be fine, from experience sprint refurbs only suck when it's a back ordered device like the Shift and 3D. It is still luck of the draw, but if you have issues just exchange it again.

Edit, it is not normal.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 31, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Should be fine, from experience sprint refurbs only suck when it's a back ordered device like the Shift and 3D. It is still luck of the draw, but if you have issues just exchange it again.

Thanks for the help! I'll look into getting help for it soon.

Is it normal for the Nexus S vibration to go out? I can't find anything on it online much.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just got back from a 3-day trip. I unplugged my Evo LTE at 6:00 AM each morning and didn't get back into my room to charge it until ~11:00 PM each night. The phone never dropped below 25% after a full day of texts, phone calls, videos, and pictures. I did this same trip last year with my Evo 4G and I had to pack extra batteries.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ehonna_disco posted:

I just got back from a 3-day trip. I unplugged my Evo LTE at 6:00 AM each morning and didn't get back into my room to charge it until ~11:00 PM each night. The phone never dropped below 25% after a full day of texts, phone calls, videos, and pictures. I did this same trip last year with my Evo 4G and I had to pack extra batteries.

In six months, my guess is the phone will be dead by 11pm.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

St. Blaize posted:

So what is going to be the best deal for getting the Evo LTE? Are there any good trade in values if coming from the Evo 3d, or is selling it after the upgrade my best bet?

I only ask because I got 175 for my OG Evo when upgrading to the 3d
You may be best off getting it from Best Buy so you can get their $50 preorder credit. They have another offer for additional monies off when trading in an old Evo 4G (another 100 off, I think, split up as 50 for the phone and 50 for activating through them). I imagine the deal is similar for trading in a 3D, but you may be better off selling through Craigslist if you can find a better deal. More info here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26267499&postcount=241

I'll also try to send you a PM if I can, because the Best Buy preorder deal only goes through June 2.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

moolchaba posted:

Well you can just buy a new battery on ebay and... oh...

general chaos
May 20, 2001

moolchaba posted:

And here I remember the last wave of new phone hype (specifically the Evo 3D) was beset by people saying it would take a few charge cycles for their phone to hit its maximum stride. Was that really a thing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

general chaos posted:

And here I remember the last wave of new phone hype (specifically the Evo 3D) was beset by people saying it would take a few charge cycles for their phone to hit its maximum stride. Was that really a thing?

I found the 3D to have decent battery life on a stock sense ROM, changing it to ICS killed the battery but I wasn't surprised.

And yeah, sprint only offers good buybacks on iPhones now a days. For better or worse thats all anyone buys.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
So, I am about to start a new job where I will be provided the smartphone of my choice, on the company's Verizon account. Of course, I am going with the Galaxy Nexus. That said, is there any way out of my Sprint contract aside from just paying the ETF?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SneakyCracker posted:

So, I am about to start a new job where I will be provided the smartphone of my choice, on the company's Verizon account. Of course, I am going with the Galaxy Nexus. That said, is there any way out of my Sprint contract aside from just paying the ETF?

Besides your company paying the ETF nope.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Duckman2008 posted:

Why would you do this? Seriously, just buy your phones outright, your plan is $30 a month with a smartphone.

I would in a heartbeat, but anytime I've bought a new one, I can't get it activated online, I'd always have to have my in-store Sprint rep do it. Now that I don't have that option, I think when I finally get a new phone I won't be able to activate it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Medullah posted:

I would in a heartbeat, but anytime I've bought a new one, I can't get it activated online, I'd always have to have my in-store Sprint rep do it. Now that I don't have that option, I think when I finally get a new phone I won't be able to activate it.

All you have to do is call sprint from any other phone. There is support specifically for these special plans.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Duckman2008 posted:

Besides your company paying the ETF nope.

This is what I figured, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Employee cares number is in the OP.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008: My boyfriend got the NS4G today. He says thanks! Do you know how to unroot and uninstall a custom ROM though? Somehow, it has Cyanogenmod on it and he wants it back to stock.

Edit: Nevermind, found a guide.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 2, 2012

amberjo
Jan 16, 2012
So while I was trying to decide between the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Galaxy Nexus, I read today that the Galaxy S III is coming out in a few weeks... So I guess Galaxy S III will be the phone to get??

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A Samsung non-Nexus phone? :lol: Maybe if you plan on rooting and running a custom ROM from day 1, maybe. Samsung still can't seem to get poo poo right, they even hosed up some of the GSM Galaxy Nexus phones software-wise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

amberjo posted:

So while I was trying to decide between the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Galaxy Nexus, I read today that the Galaxy S III is coming out in a few weeks... So I guess Galaxy S III will be the phone to get??

The galaxy 3 in general seems underwhelming, let alone it being Samsung.

Give it a month to confirm how the new Evo is. I love my nexus personally, but would so far recommend the Evo to most people. Its pretty impressive so far.

Oh and general fyi, Sprint killed the retentions number listed in the OP, I think I have a new one that goes to retentions but I have to test it.

Other fyi, anyone who gets insurance with the new Evo and Nexus, Sprint is not grandfathering in the old TEP pricing (I think I misread it when they announced it). That goes up in price June 14, anyone on the $8 one gets auto switched in August.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Other fyi, anyone who gets insurance with the new Evo and Nexus, Sprint is not grandfathering in the old TEP pricing (I think I misread it when they announced it). That goes up in price June 14, anyone on the $8 one gets auto switched in August.

Say again? I have TEP on my EVO 3D and my wife's Galaxy Nexus. The current pricing isn't going to be grandfathered? Screw that.. time to save some money, I guess.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Duckman2008 posted:

Give it a month to confirm how the new Evo is. I love my nexus personally, but would so far recommend the Evo to most people. Its pretty impressive so far.

I think the galaxy 3 is only underwhelming to people who got caught up in the insane spec rumors leading up to it's official announcement. Overall the phone is top of the line, and its the first phone in the U.S. to have 2gb of ram, double the amount of the evo lte. Considering there have been reports from owners of the HTC one x that it can't even handle multitasking, it seems like the galaxy 3 is more future proof in the long run.

I know its popular to poo poo on Samsung, but the galaxy phones seem to improve a great deal each generation. One of my friends is still rocking a stock Galaxy 1 which seemingly works fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

TEP is going up again? Didn't it just get raised to $8 a few months ago?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dundun posted:

I think the galaxy 3 is only underwhelming to people who got caught up in the insane spec rumors leading up to it's official announcement. Overall the phone is top of the line, and its the first phone in the U.S. to have 2gb of ram, double the amount of the evo lte. Considering there have been reports from owners of the HTC one x that it can't even handle multitasking, it seems like the galaxy 3 is more future proof in the long run.

I know its popular to poo poo on Samsung, but the galaxy phones seem to improve a great deal each generation. One of my friends is still rocking a stock Galaxy 1 which seemingly works fine.

The One X's ram limitations are 100% HTC's gently caress up. There is no reason that 1GB of ram should be limiting on multitasking on phones currently.

Though 2GB does sound nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Duckman2008 posted:

I've been waffling for so long between the Nexus and the Evo for so long[1] that at this point I think I'm just going to wait until they light up the LTE network here in KC and see how things look then. Especially with the S3 thrown into the mix now. At that point I can see what people are saying about all three devices once they've had them for a while, what the custom ROM scene looks like, etc etc etc and make a decision then. I'm still quite happy with my Evo 4G, so using it for another few months won't be a big deal.

[1]: I'd made up my mind and decided on the Nexus....until my boss picked up an Evo and I got to play around with it for a bit. It's a drat sexy phone, especially the camera. Between that and playing around with a store demo unit I did see some of the signs of the multitasking issue people are complaining about, but I'm not sure if it's something that would actually affect my usage. I know it'd something I'd notice and it'd annoy me, but I don't know if it'd actually cause me any problems.