Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That there is an AGP pro card, you can't use it in a regular AGP slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
I need to buy my workstation for work next week. What are some suggestions?

I'm hoping I can postpone buying the laptop until the new ones come out but I'll be getting a macbook pro as the base.

I don't really have any restrictions... Is the thunderbolt display worthwhile? I'm actually fine with two 24" IPS screens as well. Two 27" screens seems excessive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

The ATI 9800 Pro arrived and it don't fit :(

It looks exactly like this:

and I have a G4 MDD whose AGP slot only goes up to the first notch from the left. I still have the 'aux' connector on the far left but the first section of pins in the main connector is absent on my G4 if that makes any sense. I can make the card physically fit by cutting the first notch from the left deeper but I'm not sure if that will work electrically.

Edit: It looks like this card was made for the G5. Still not sure if it will work in a G4 if I cut that notch.

I modified an old nVidia 5200FX that was set up for the G5 to fit in a G4 by cutting that notch off with my Dremel, it worked fine.

OWC also sold 'sawed off' nVidia 5200FX cards for the G4 in a similar fashion many moons ago.

That first little tab was to get either 24V or 27V off the logic board to provide power for ADC displays plugged into the ADC port. If you're only using the DVI port, you don't need the notch.

I had to cover the ADC port with clay (the one that's not DVI with the rounded edges) to make sure no one used it but it worked well enough on my G4 to let it play Oni somewhat more smoothly than the older Rage 128 card it replaced.

Of course YMMV and there's no guarantee that what worked for me on a different vendor's card will work in your situation.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

I modified an old nVidia 5200FX that was set up for the G5 to fit in a G4 by cutting that notch off with my Dremel, it worked fine.

OWC also sold 'sawed off' nVidia 5200FX cards for the G4 in a similar fashion many moons ago.

That first little tab was to get either 24V or 27V off the logic board to provide power for ADC displays plugged into the ADC port. If you're only using the DVI port, you don't need the notch.

I had to cover the ADC port with clay (the one that's not DVI with the rounded edges) to make sure no one used it but it worked well enough on my G4 to let it play Oni somewhat more smoothly than the older Rage 128 card it replaced.

Of course YMMV and there's no guarantee that what worked for me on a different vendor's card will work in your situation.

Its not the ADC power pins that are the problem, its the first set of pins to the right of the ADC power that would not be connected to anything. If thats main AGP Pro power then I guess it won't work since the card doesn't have any other aux power inputs.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

The Zybourne Dock.

e: requesting thread title change to Mac Hardware Megathread: Zybourne Dock

Awesome. I'll run the wiki.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SplitDestiny posted:

I don't really have any restrictions... Is the thunderbolt display worthwhile? I'm actually fine with two 24" IPS screens as well. Two 27" screens seems excessive.

If you aren't paying for it out of pocket, go hog wild with Thunderbolt displays.

1. You can daisy chain up to 2 of them off of one tb port, which you can't do using any other connection type. They'll also bring along a bevy of USB ports and whatnot.

2. They look gorgeous and the picture quality's mad good.

3. The built in speakers and subwoofer (yes, there's a subwoofer) are a LOT better than you'd expect to hear out of a display. The built in HD camera's not bad either.

4. You can charge your MBP directly from the display with a short magsafe cable that snakes out of the power line.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 5, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have the latest Mac Mini (mid 2011), base model with the 2.3ghz i5. I would like to upgrade the storage to something faster, as it currently has a Hitachi 5400rpm 500gb drive.

Option 1: Buy an SSD and a usb enclosure. Put SSD into the mini, put the existing hdd into the enclosure. Install OS and programs to SSD, keep documents on now-external hdd.
Price: Crucial M4: $120, External enclosure: $20 = $140

Option 2: Buy an SSD, and the second hard drive kit from ifixit. Both SSD and hdd in the mini.
Price: Crucial M4: $120. Second hard drive kit: $70+30 shipping (:smith:) = $220

Option 3: Buy a fast HDD, replace the slow hdd.
Price: WD Scorpio: $80.

Option 3a: Buy a Seagate Momentus XT 750gb. Replace slow hdd.
Price: Seagate Momentus XT 750gb: $160.

Option 4: Buy a big SSD.
Price: Crucial M4 256gb: $230

Best option?
Also, how would I go about installing OS X onto a new hdd/ssd? I do have a 10.6 DVD, but this mini doesn't have a DVD drive. If I have the image of the disk, could I install it like that? Could I even install 10.6 onto this, or am I stuck with 10.7?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you already have Lion installed? You can create a USB recovery disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My 2009 MBP has got to a point where it is constantly so hot that I could cook an egg on it. I have tried everything basic googling has to offer and it still gets so hot it burns my hands, even in sleep mode or with 7% cpu usage. I am ready to throw this thing off the goddamn roof.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jwoven posted:

I have the latest Mac Mini (mid 2011), base model with the 2.3ghz i5. I would like to upgrade the storage to something faster, as it currently has a Hitachi 5400rpm 500gb drive.

Option 1: Buy an SSD and a usb enclosure. Put SSD into the mini, put the existing hdd into the enclosure. Install OS and programs to SSD, keep documents on now-external hdd.

Option 2: Buy an SSD, and the second hard drive kit from ifixit. Both SSD and hdd in the mini.
Price: Crucial M4: $120. Second hard drive kit: $70+30 shipping (:smith:) = $220

Best option?
Also, how would I go about installing OS X onto a new hdd/ssd? I do have a 10.6 DVD, but this mini doesn't have a DVD drive. If I have the image of the disk, could I install it like that? Could I even install 10.6 onto this, or am I stuck with 10.7?

If you check one or two pages back, I think I asked the same thing and somebody posted a caddy for the optical bay for $10 or so. The concensus was also to just use CCC or similar to clone the HDD to the SSD and then do the swap. My SSD is on the delivery truck right now so that's what I'll do tonight after work.

Does Filevault's FDE play nice with SSDs? One of my standard practices is to fill a new hard drive with random data using dd before using FDE do that my data is both encrypted and that there's no chance for people to tell where my data even is. But I get the feeling that this creates unnecessary wear on a SSD and I shouldn't do this. As long as I can clone my current drive to the SSD and turn on FDE then I'm happy.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 5, 2012

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jwoven posted:

Best option?
I don't understand why you need to spend a combined $100 on a 2nd hard drive kit, that sounds a crazy amount of money - where is that from?

I found this on eBay for $59: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Second-SSD-...ff#ht_500wt_922

No reason why a little bracket should cost even that much though, so I'd keep looking or prepare to Jerry rig it with some double sided tape - ssd mounting doesn't matter much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jwoven posted:

does your mini support remote disk?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I noticed that my glass trackpad was sticking on my 2008 unibody MBP, so on the recommendation of folks here I took out the battery to see what was up. The trackpad seems to click no problem with the battery out, but I did notice a bit of snugness when I tried to get the battery back in, so I'm thinking the battery might be bloating and in need of a replacement. The problem is I'm just out of 3 year Applecare so if I go into the Apple store they may charge me for a new battery. Would I be covered if the battery is indeed bloating and causing the trackpad to stick? Otherwise I'm thinking of just getting a new MBAir after the refresh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

1280x800 :emo:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

What is this a picture of?

E: Oh, the Intel Graphics 4000... I guess it means that the new 13 inch Pro.

loving Yuck, they're still making GBS threads 5400 RPM drives in those machines.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 5, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wasn't expecting Retina but c'mon Apple give us the 1440x900 that the Air gets. Unless the majority of people are mongoloids who actually prefer 1280x800...

Maybe it will be $999, seeing that an i5 Windows laptop can be had for $499 these days. I can see paying a couple hundred for the 'Mac tax' but 140% more is just crazy. (yes, I know you can't get a 13" Aluminum body PC laptop with a 7 hour battery for $499)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Still has a dvd drive? So all it is, essentially, is the new motherboard and processor (which includes USB 3).

A little disappointing that they haven't ditched the drive for extra battery/smaller body.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Shmoogy posted:

Still has a dvd drive? So all it is, essentially, is the new motherboard and processor (which includes USB 3).

A little disappointing that they haven't ditched the drive for extra battery/smaller body.

Again there are things that go along with this that say "this will be the low end model, and maybe a $999 Pro" or something. Where the 15 and 17 inch get a better form factor, and more "premium" features.

And its all rumors.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I wasn't expecting Retina but c'mon Apple give us the 1440x900 that the Air gets. Unless the majority of people are mongoloids who actually prefer 1280x800...

Maybe it will be $999, seeing that an i5 Windows laptop can be had for $499 these days. I can see paying a couple hundred for the 'Mac tax' but 140% more is just crazy. (yes, I know you can't get a 13" Aluminum body PC laptop with a 7 hour battery for $499)

Yes, you can also buy a i5 windows laptop with those specs for $999. That one might have hinges that last more than 6 months.

Sonnet just sent me an email saying that they're starting to ship their PCIe enclosures tomorrow. :dance:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Speculation:
(worse than 'rumors'?)

The 1440x900 is a BTO option (+100? +50?)
The cost will only be $999
This is the 'Macbook'

Oh well, at least it's got USB 3.0 right?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Awesome. I'll run the wiki.

I actually sent an inquiry out to them to see if I can get any attention :ohdear:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Mercurius posted:

The best part is the single Thunderbolt port so it has to be at the end of a Thunderbolt chain. Sucks to be you if you wanted to use a Thunderbolt hub to bridge a Thunderbolt Display and another Mini-DP monitor, I guess.

Still waiting on the Belkin one that's $50 more and has way more ports on it.
Off by $100 http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/belkin-upgrades-thunderbolt-express-dock-with-usb-3-0-and-esata-bumps-price-to-399-99/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Could you split TB into two DVI's or VGA's at the dock, or can you split it 2x, one into a TB daisy chain port and one to a Mini-DP out?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MacBook? I don't think Apple has ever revived a line after it's been killed.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, didn't the Air replace the Macbook in Apple's mind?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
And here I was thinking they'd just kill the 13" Pro altogether. One more generation, at least.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So the Air replaced the Macbook. Then they nerf the Macbook Pro and make that the new Macbook... This makes no sense. I just wanted a pro with no DVD SSD as standard and a retina display. or at least matching the Air's screen.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

thegasman2000 posted:

So the Air replaced the Macbook. Then they nerf the Macbook Pro and make that the new Macbook... This makes no sense. I just wanted a pro with no DVD SSD as standard and a retina display. or at least matching the Air's screen.

In Apple's mind, however, they can offer this to you right now, as of this moment, with the setup that you talk about (and they'll throw in the DVD player for free).

Your issue that its too expensive, right?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

FlashBangBob posted:

In Apple's mind, however, they can offer this to you right now, as of this moment, with the setup that you talk about (and they'll throw in the DVD player for free).

Your issue that its too expensive, right?

Sorry I wan not too clear. I want an SSD and a platter drive as standard. I also want a decent screen as my 2011 13" MBP has the worst screen resolution ever.

Oh and yeah its too expensive but that aint gonna change.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The inclusion of an optical drive eats up space that should be used for battery, solid state storage, and size reduction. Portables should not have optical drives any more.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FlashBangBob posted:

Again there are things that go along with this that say "this will be the low end model, and maybe a $999 Pro" or something. Where the 15 and 17 inch get a better form factor, and more "premium" features.

And its all rumors.

I hope not. I really like the 13" size. For me it's the perfect size tradeoff between portability and functionality. Tried the smaller MBA for a few days at work and though the resolution was nice, I wished the screen was a bit bigger. I've had 15" notebooks in the past and those are just too big for me to throw around in my bags and carry.

Edit:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The inclusion of an optical drive eats up space that should be used for battery, solid state storage, and size reduction. Portables should not have optical drives any more.

I asked pages ago but didn't really get an answer. My SuperDrive is broken. It still gets recognized and OS X doesn't see any problems with it, but the laser heads or whatever must be out of alignment or something because it can not read or burn CDs. It just spins them up and then ejects them. Is it safe for me to just pull it out of my MBP without replacing it with a HDD or anything? I don't really want to buy another one because I don't use it, and I don't need another HDD installed in place. In my mind I don't see how it could be bad cause I'd be lightening the weight a bit and maybe even lowering power consumption too since the OS think it's still functioning so it's probably drawing some idle power.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 5, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Space Racist posted:

And here I was thinking they'd just kill the 13" Pro altogether. One more generation, at least.

It's their biggest selling computer isn't it?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

It's their biggest selling computer isn't it?

I'm not sure. But I'm guessing it's their most profitable notebook, at least based on how long they've been using some of the components.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Unless something "must-have" comes out, I love my mid-2011 i5 13" Air to death. Unfortunately, I'm just running out of disk space too often with 128GB. Seems like just a little more room would be great. Should I trust any of the ~$275 Samsung 256GBs on eBay? I know OWC seems like go-to but don't I want less battery time or to fork out an additional $100. Anyone have experience with a good vendor or good replacement SSD?

Edit for clarity: I never said i was trying to cram a 2.5" drive in my Air; I'm asking if anyone has any actual experience procuring and successfully installing any of the Air-compatible SSD modules from a 3rd party. I don't mind standard performance.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 5, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kuskus posted:

Unless something "must-have" comes out, I love my mid-2011 i5 13" Air to death. Unfortunately, I'm just running out of disk space too often with 128GB. Seems like just a little more room would be great. Should I trust any of the ~$275 Samsung 256GBs on eBay? I know OWC seems like go-to but don't I want less battery time or to fork out an additional $100. Anyone have experience with a good vendor or good replacement SSD?

I just bought a 256 GB SSD from Crucial (the M4 series, which is recommended in the SSD thread) for roughly €200 including shipping and an external enclosure to do the transfer with. I say read the OP in that thread and buy the one with the best price/storage ratio at the volume you want.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Wait a minute wait a minute... Macbook Airs do not have traditional SSDs in them. You are not going to be able to buy a 256GB SSD on ebay and pop it in there. No chance. It uses the non-enclosed memory right into the motherboard.

Here's the way MBA's SSDs look:

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2012

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well, I remember there being Air-only SSD options, but they're even more expensive than traditional SSDs. No idea how they fare quality wise.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That's right. And OWC is right now the only retail vendor out there that is selling Air-compatible SSDs. Some others were announced a while back but Apple seems to have squashed them.

The SSD's on ebay that claim they can be used in the Air are advertised with Apple part numbers but there's no guarantee they're new and not pulls from existing machines.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The OWC's are Sandforce drives, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable buying a 256GB Toshiba/Samsung (Samsung if you want the fast one) from eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I bought an OEM 256GB SSD off of eBay for my iMac and couldn't be happier with it, for what it's worth.