Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dizz posted:

He really does seem like he still has that inner child of his. You can always see it showing during his Batsu games.

Oh yeah, especially when he's doing something to try and screw with one of the other guys. He almost always can't help laughing at himself at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I doubt a man who laughs that much on camera ceases to do the same off of it. He's just a perfectionist with his craft and that probably makes his work more stressful and tough than it really needs to be.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh yeah, especially when he's doing something to try and screw with one of the other guys. He almost always can't help laughing at himself at the same time.

Making the little Hamada doll do perfect flips whilst gazing at it with a sort of childlike concentration, then cracking up with glee, this cannot be an unhappy man! (Hasn't watched the documentary yet).

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
He's a workaholic and his own biggest critic but I get the impression he is pretty happy overall. Settling down is probably a big factor in that - just watch his face light up whenever anyone mentions he has a daughter now.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Just wanted to call out the hilarity of the Gorenjai game on Gaki.

It's based on a recurring skit from Downtown's older show, Gottsu ee Kanji, that featured Downtown + guests forming a Power Rangers-esque troop. The only issue? They can never get their costumes correct. The entirely of this skit series can be found here. I really enjoyed these, and my fiance and I have been repeating a lot of things from this (including the "BOING BOING" chant).

Anyway, the Gaki no Tsukai Gorenjai game has the guys attempting to assemble a Power Ranger team. They've got 6 hours, and 5 different-colored costumes. The point is for each member of Gaki to go into their dressing room, pick out a costume, and hope that no one else has the same costume on. If all 5 pick out different colors (the probability of which is something ridiculous like 3%), they win! If not, they have to try again. And again. And again. If all 5 pick the exact same color costume, a big punishment will occur.

It's just hilarious to see the looks of defeat on their faces when they think they've finally achieved the goal, only to have the last person in the line pop out of their dressing room wearing the same color as someone else.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Later they add another comedy duo and attempt to do the same thing with seven rangers (including black and white).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Downtown at their very best is pure back-and-forth. I'll never grow tired of listening to their banter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPByHseJRIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbmYpXMyOc

Keep in mind this stuff is improvised by them. Also pays to watch Hamada do his work as the tsukkomi. Matsumoto's craziness can only be taken so far, it's Hamada's replies that really allow him to keep branching off and grow the story.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 10, 2012

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Crotch Bat posted:

Downtown at their very best is pure back-and-forth. I'll never grow tired of listening to their banter.

Keep in mind this stuff is improvised by them. Also pays to watch Hamada do his work as the tsukkomi. Matsumoto's craziness can only be taken so far, it's Hamada's replies that really allow him to keep branching off and grow the story.

This is amazing. Thank you.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Here's another one if you want to get real serious about curry

http://crazyontv.com/matsumoto-talks-about-curry/

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

futurememory posted:

Just wanted to call out the hilarity of the Gorenjai game on Gaki.

Oh hey, these are my old subs. I used to sub a whole bunch of Gaki no Tsukai and miscellaneous Downtown stuff years ago and recently someone asked for my subs for this one so they could hardcode them into a video file. I passed them on but I never got around to seeing the end result until now.

I have the sequel to this translated, too (with seven members) but I don't think they asked me for those.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I have the sequel to this translated, too (with seven members) but I don't think they asked me for those.

That's awesome! Thanks for subbing some Gaki clips. I'd love to be able to see some of the other stuff that you did that isn't available anywhere else. As far as I know, the seven member sequel isn't translated anywhere.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

Those are fantastic. It's often hard to tell how much of the comedy is genuinely improvised and how much is improv, but the way Matsumoto comes out with extra little details like how he couldn't get a longer cord for his laser gun because of bureaucracy is phenomenal. It's strange how well the comedy translates sometimes.

I present: tanaka.gif

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Edmund Honda posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fainting_goat

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned a pair of Downtown impersonators, and I was under the impression they'd be in the Airport batsu game. Are they in the extra footage or what?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

Those are fantastic. It's often hard to tell how much of the comedy is genuinely improvised and how much is improv, but the way Matsumoto comes out with extra little details like how he couldn't get a longer cord for his laser gun because of bureaucracy is phenomenal. It's strange how well the comedy translates sometimes.

I love Tanaka's spazzing. I really need to make a GIF for his falling on the Airport Batsu.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

For those of you waiting on a full hardsubbed version of the Airport Batsu, the whole thing is up on Gakifiles. It's a six part .rar that you have to put together, but that'll give you the whole batsu in one file with subtitles.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've been watching a lot of Kagi no Kakatta Heya lately. It's a murder mystery show where every murder is a "locked room" case where it seems like it should be impossible for the person to exit the room after committing the murder. It's interesting in that most of the time it's pretty obvious who the murderer is, but the trick is figuring out how they managed to pull it off.

So far the techniques have ranged from smart and interesting to really stupid. (One involves the murder of a collector of rare spiders. The murderer knocks out a venomous spider and puts it inside the body of a larger, but harmless spider. Then the victim got bitten and didn't seek medical attention since he didn't know it was deadly But most of the time they follow good logic and it's fun watching the characters suggest crazy ways the murder could have been committed.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Yess, this is why I keep coming back to this thread. The recommendations!

I've only seen the first episode of Kagi no Kakatta Heya so far, but I like the sense of humor and premise of the show. This Enomoto guy is the best. I'm convinced he's a robot that stumbled into a murder mystery show. Tell me more about locks, you incredibly intense man. :allears:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Crossposting from the Game Center CX thread:

So here's a link to a thing: http://depositfiles.com/files/aey8v1x35

If anyone wants to mirror or set up a torrent, please do so. Hosting is impossible for me since I'm on a metered bandwidth plan.

For those of you joining us late:
This is a project that's been in the works for a while. It's a segment from a variety show called Lincoln, which regularly features famous comedians Downtown and four other comedy teams. One of their recurring bits is a segment called "Friendly Downtown", where a comedy team is invited to spend time with Downtown and speak only using informal language. If they slip up and accidentally speak formally, they get slapped. This particular episode is relevant to our interests because the guests are Arino-kachou and his partner Masaru Hamaguchi. Yoiko take Downtown to Akihabara and engage in some stereotypical nerd pastimes.

A note on "formal language":
The Japanese language is very culturally sensitive, and you are expected to address others in a manner befitting the relationship between you. This goes beyond the name suffixes like -san or -kun that you may be familiar with, as even verbs and adjectives conjugate differently based on the level of politeness used. There are multiple reasons why Yoiko should be using the polite forms with Downtown including coming from different companies and being "junior" in terms of time in the industry.

One problem is that this doesn't translate to English at all. I think Zari-gani tried to make the "informal" responses sound a little cruder, but it's pretty much impossible to translate over directly since English doesn't have a linguistic equivalent to the politeness levels. If you keep an eye on the Japanese subs, you can tell when they slip up, as the subtitles will be in an angry red. Or you can just watch for when someone gets slapped. That's a good indicator too.

Notes on timing:
The two people I showed this to first responded that the "timing is great" and that the subtitles went by "way too fast". I'm leaning more towards the latter myself, but I felt it necessary to keep the speed up for several reasons. For one, it helps keep up the pace of their interactions. So much of comedy is dependent on timing, and I didn't want people reading a joke before the line is delivered or still be reading a joke when the dialogue has moved on. For another, I tried to reduce screen clutter by not having more than a couple of lines onscreen at one. With the rapid back-and-forth of some of their conversations, if I left the text up longer, multiple lines would start to pile up. It's already pretty busy with the Japanese subs and captions, I tried not to make it worse. Finally, of course, if I went back and re-timed the whole thing, who knows when I'd get finished? I've been sitting on this long enough, and I wanted to get it out there for you guys to enjoy. I'll continue to work on reaching a better balance with the timing on whatever I work on next, so I'm interested in hearing people's feedback.

The translation is by Zari-gani, who as usual turned out fantastic work. All the credit goes to her, and any mistakes were totally my fault.

I'm very interested to hear from everyone with opinions or comments on this episode. Reach me at NipponophileSA at Google mail. Like I said, I'm hoping to get some new projects moving forward, so watch this space for further developments.

tl;dr

Please watch these middle-aged men playing videogames.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Arschlochkind posted:

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned a pair of Downtown impersonators, and I was under the impression they'd be in the Airport batsu game. Are they in the extra footage or what?

That was me. I saw a video where Hamada would be constantly see his double, but it never appeared in the actual game, so it must have been cut and put in the extra footage. I think I found it on the gaki no tsukai forums, before the game actually aired. And looking back at my post about it, the video has been removed.

EDIT: I checked the Gaki forums and indeed they did remove it, for some reason. There appears to be 90 minutes of extra footage on youkou or whatever the site is, but it buffers too slow for me, so I am not gonna check.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 29, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I thought the timing on the video was good. I didn't have any trouble keeping up. My Japanese isn't really good enough to catch the subtleties of the language. I was only getting tipped off by the occasional "-maus, or san."

Best part was that cafe. I've seen places like that in Canada but I'm actually kind of surprised that they even exist in Japan.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
The Lincoln video turned out well, very funny. I've been looking forward to it for a while, good work! The subtitle speed wasn't a problem, for me at least.

E: Also the last place I expected to hear Hellogoodbye, at the start of the Maid Cafe part.

Bad Bromance fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 31, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I neglected to mention it in the GCCX thread, but the timing was indeed fine to me as well. Quite good, in fact. Thanks again for providing us with comedy gold.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That video was amazing. Are there other easily available shows like that with similar humor, but less hitting each other? :ohdear:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Someone subbed all of WORLD DOWNTOWN.

Here's the first, follow it for the rest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ht9plV1rYQ

This was a brief show Downtown did where from my best guess they pretty much pulled an MXC. It looks like they took some news and anchors from what I'd guess is some Russian or East European news station and then had some VAs dub in over the anchors and then Downtown sat at a news desk and "interacted" with the anchors. The only info on this show is written in Japanese so all I could piece together is just what I saw through watching some.

It's kinda weird but a lot of it seems to be based off a general nature of ridiculousness and some funny rudeness directed towards Downtown. Worth a watch and there's quite a bit of it to keep you occupied.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

[...] but less hitting each other? :ohdear:

That writes off every Downtown thing ever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Started working on a thing...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

That writes off every Downtown thing ever.

Regular manzai slapping is okay, but the stuff that goes on in those batsu games give me nightmares. :cry:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nipponophile posted:

Hell yeah. The 5 one was funny enough, I can only imagine how many years it takes them to pull off 7.

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Light Gun Man posted:

Hell yeah. The 5 one was funny enough, I can only imagine how many years it takes them to pull off 7.

Oh where can I watch the 7 one online? I haven't been able to find that.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

This is another collaboration between me and Nipponophile. I'm digging out my old Gaki/Downtown subs while he looks for the corresponding videos. It's gonna be hard hunting down some of the stuff, though.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Regular manzai slapping is okay, but the stuff that goes on in those batsu games give me nightmares. :cry:

Maybe watch the Absolutely Tasty and Kiki series videos? They can both be found on Crazy on TV.

Absolutely Tasty was described in the OP, and doesn't have any sort of punishment attached to it.

Kiki is pretty hilarious as well. It's a blindfolded taste test of a certain brand of in a category of food (for example, bread or beer). After the blindfold is taken off, the Gaki member must correctly identify the brand he tasted (usually out of 20 or so brands) by performing taste tests on everything. If he's correct, he wins a prize. If not, he gets punished. I guess you can fast forward through the punishments? In the early Kiki games, it usually meant being slapped across the face. In later ones, they get a bit more creative.

--

On another note, super-excited to see that 7 Ranger game get subs!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sinz posted:

I don't know, I was replying to Nipponophile saying he was working on it. So I guess maybe in this thread in the future?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Sinz posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mk6dcd47t716usa

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I have been going through all the Gaki Batsu games recently, and I have loved every one. However, I just got to the end of the Police Man Batsu game when they are trying to sleep and I felt Endo and Hamada's pain. That "Show-hei, heyyy.........SHOW-HEI HEYYYYY!" thing absolutely kills me every time. Tears running down my face constantly. I must have watched that part over half a dozen times. Absolutely check it out if you haven't seen it.

I have to give them props. Batsu games sound like a hell of a test of endurance. Taking 200 rear end beatings within 24 hours? No thanks. Especially the blow dart punishment - yikes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ragequit posted:

I have been going through all the Gaki Batsu games recently, and I have loved every one. However, I just got to the end of the Police Man Batsu game when they are trying to sleep and I felt Endo and Hamada's pain. That "Show-hei, heyyy.........SHOW-HEI HEYYYYY!" thing absolutely kills me every time. Tears running down my face constantly. I must have watched that part over half a dozen times. Absolutely check it out if you haven't seen it.

I have to give them props. Batsu games sound like a hell of a test of endurance. Taking 200 rear end beatings within 24 hours? No thanks. Especially the blow dart punishment - yikes.

The 24 hour tag one was ridiculously brutal, they all looked like they were ready to die by the end of it.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

I've been watching the batsu games in chronological order and they get increasingly funny as you learn the personalities of the guys. Last one I saw was High School, which was pretty awesome. Itao's wife and Madonna. That's all I have to say.

24 Hour Tag might be my favorite (the slide show absolutely slays me), but I do think that Yugawara might be underrated.

The Wikipedia entry for Gaki no Tsukai is absolutely fantastic and has the batsu games listed in the correct chronological order. It also has tons of explanations of many of the running gags. It's been indispensable regarding my growing love of all things Gaki.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yugawara is insanely underrated due in part to having gone so long without full, correct subs. I love that one, it always cracks me up.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Someone subbed all of WORLD DOWNTOWN.

Here's the first, follow it for the rest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ht9plV1rYQ

This was a brief show Downtown did where from my best guess they pretty much pulled an MXC. It looks like they took some news and anchors from what I'd guess is some Russian or East European news station and then had some VAs dub in over the anchors and then Downtown sat at a news desk and "interacted" with the anchors. The only info on this show is written in Japanese so all I could piece together is just what I saw through watching some.

It's kinda weird but a lot of it seems to be based off a general nature of ridiculousness and some funny rudeness directed towards Downtown. Worth a watch and there's quite a bit of it to keep you occupied.

The japanese wiki, according to google translate, says they live dubbed over the anchors. It is really funny, though, that something is so outrageous that it stumps even Matsumoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Crotch Bat posted:

Yugawara is insanely underrated due in part to having gone so long without full, correct subs. I love that one, it always cracks me up.

Yugawara is my favorite. It's funny as hell, and since it's still relatively early, it isn't as structurally codified and predictable as the more recent batsu games. That said, the riding crops clearly were one of the more painful punishments, and frankly it's tough to get people to give this really funny show a chance when what they see is Japanese dudes getting whipped by catsuited dominatrices.