Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Yeah, nothing on mine either. I'm pretty anal about my privacy settings though, so something I set might be preventing it from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: Holy loving :lol::lol: Is this as bad as it looks? It probably isn't but I still find it hilarious.

I read it as "whore" the first time through. I giggled.

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

Why the gently caress would I want to let my girlfriend know what time i am off... everyday.

The app seems cool but the 'recipes' they have are stupid.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Target audience etc etc.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dumbmrblah posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to let my girlfriend know what time i am off... everyday.

The app seems cool but the 'recipes' they have are stupid.

I know a few people that call their spouses when they are leaving work. I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it's all that uncommon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I know a few people that call their spouses when they are leaving work. I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it's all that uncommon.

I do something similar occasionally. I use Glympse, which works awesome.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What the gently caress? Why is this a thing now?

Ugh.

Edit: Holy loving :lol::lol: Is this as bad as it looks? It probably isn't but I still find it hilarious.

This at least makes some sense. If you're on a road trip or something. Or as a way to figure out where you left your phone. I have a Tasker profile that sends the GPS location of my phone back if someone on my favorite contacts list sends me a specific phrase in case I forget it somewhere.

I'm baffled by "When I arrive home remind me to buy milk."

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jervas Dudley posted:

This at least makes some sense. If you're on a road trip or something. Or as a way to figure out where you left your phone. I have a Tasker profile that sends the GPS location of my phone back if someone on my favorite contacts list sends me a specific phrase in case I forget it somewhere.

I'm baffled by "When I arrive home remind me to buy milk."

You don't have a milk store at your house? Pff, get with the times man.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My wife and I check in at home and work on Latitude and track each other's locations very often.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Speaking of Latitude, its been acting up all day for me. Won't load a god drat thing. Just me?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm looking for some way to fine-tune my volume control. I've found one app, Fine Volume Control, that seems to do what I want but A)it's $2.50 and B)requires internet to authenticate so I'd love if there's an alternative. I don't mind paying but I don't think I plan on utilizing many of these features so it seems like something free should be out there, and definitely something that doesn't require internet. I'm rooted, if that matters.

The main feature I need is more precise volume changes with a lower boundary. As it is now the lowest setting is still too loud for me with my headphones. Profiles are a plus, as my car stereo requires just about the highest setting so a quick way to swap would be nice. Bonus points for having a widget.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Speaking of Latitude, its been acting up all day for me. Won't load a god drat thing. Just me?
There's a Maps update I just loaded with "Latitude bugfix" in the changelog but it was working fine all day for me.

Post update though I did have some trouble checking in at home (just now). The dropdown wouldn't work and I had to use the checkmark at the bottom. After I checked in, I hit back to close Maps and the dropdown was open on the Maps page rather than the Latitude friends list which is probably why I couldn't get it to function before.

Teeter posted:

I'm looking for some way to fine-tune my volume control. I've found one app, Fine Volume Control, that seems to do what I want but A)it's $2.50 and B)requires internet to authenticate so I'd love if there's an alternative. I don't mind paying but I don't think I plan on utilizing many of these features so it seems like something free should be out there, and definitely something that doesn't require internet. I'm rooted, if that matters.

The main feature I need is more precise volume changes with a lower boundary. As it is now the lowest setting is still too loud for me with my headphones. Profiles are a plus, as my car stereo requires just about the highest setting so a quick way to swap would be nice. Bonus points for having a widget.
Does the free version of Volume+ work for you?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

LastInLine posted:

Does the free version of Volume+ work for you?

Thanks, but it didn't seem to work. I could only see options in the free version for boosting volume, not lowering it. It also clashed with DSP manager and a few other programs and caused a bunch of FCs when sound was played. The full version looks pretty nice though so if no alternative pops up then I may give it a try. For $2 it may work as a fix for my volume issues as well as replace my other EQ managers that don't do too great of a job anyway so I've got it bookmarked for later.

Fine Volume Control worked great because it lets you change in 1% increments as well as increases the range so I can still have the same maximum volume while being able to achieve a much lower minimum. I'm just really put off by its internet requirement for authenticating because I don't want that to backfire if I'm on airplane mode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

Thanks, but it didn't seem to work. I could only see options in the free version for boosting volume, not lowering it. It also clashed with DSP manager and a few other programs and caused a bunch of FCs when sound was played. The full version looks pretty nice though so if no alternative pops up then I may give it a try. For $2 it may work as a fix for my volume issues as well as replace my other EQ managers that don't do too great of a job anyway so I've got it bookmarked for later.

Fine Volume Control worked great because it lets you change in 1% increments as well as increases the range so I can still have the same maximum volume while being able to achieve a much lower minimum. I'm just really put off by its internet requirement for authenticating because I don't want that to backfire if I'm on airplane mode.
If you have DSP Manager you must be running CM7/9. It won't work with that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So is latitude not poo poo anymore or something?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Doesn't sound like it. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My wife and I check in at home and work on Latitude and track each other's locations very often.

Doesn't your wife have a Nexus S? How's Latitude on her battery?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Doesn't your wife have a Nexus S? How's Latitude on her battery?

Excellent actually. She doesn't charge it at work or in the car, at work has a very poor signal (no 3G, sometimes no data at all), and always has about 40% when she gets home. If Latitude is draining her battery at all it's negligible compared to the signal. She has no complaints about battery life at all really.

This is stock 4.0.3 with SimpleKernel (so stock kernel essentially).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had to disable latitude on my Galaxy Nexus as it was causing about 20 minutes of GPS polling (and keep awake time) per day. Did very bad things to the battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google Maps is going to be getting full offline support.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/06/google-maps-for-android-gets-offline-support/

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

I'm reading conflicting reports of whether or not this works for navigation. I think it's actually just the offline caching that we've already had in labs for a while now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I had to disable latitude on my Galaxy Nexus as it was causing about 20 minutes of GPS polling (and keep awake time) per day. Did very bad things to the battery.
I've never had that happen in two years of using it. I know it's a common problem people report but I've never seen it and I've used the app at least twice a day for years. It never even shows up in my list of things using the battery.

Just for reference, I always back out of the app after I'm done using it (getting rid of the GPS reticule in the notification bar) and I keep location services turned on which means it doesn't need to find a location fix as often as the app can re-use recent ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I keep location services turned on as well and I have wifi on all the time.

It wasn't an issue for me on my OG Droid, Bionic, or Razr. But it has been an issue for me on the Galaxy Nexus in 4.0.2, 4.0.4 (IMM30B), and 4.0.4(IMM76K).

Jensen posted:

I'm reading conflicting reports of whether or not this works for navigation. I think it's actually just the offline caching that we've already had in labs for a while now.

I think it depends on whether or not navigation routing is calculated on device or if it's calculated server side and just sent to the device.

Since we've had offline caching in labs for awhile, I would assume the official feature would be a bit more friendly than the way it is implemented there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
That On{X} seems like a good idea in theory, but they don't really give you an easy way to make up a "recipe". You can look at the code for some of the premade ones, but if you don't know what any of it means its sort of useless, and I didn't see a whole lot in the way of tutorials. I guess if they eventually come out with a way to get a hold of more than the 8 ones they have listed now, but until then I don't know what I would do with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I keep location services turned on as well and I have wifi on all the time.

It wasn't an issue for me on my OG Droid, Bionic, or Razr. But it has been an issue for me on the Galaxy Nexus in 4.0.2, 4.0.4 (IMM30B), and 4.0.4(IMM76K).
I wish I had an answer. I know a lot of people say it happens to them so I definitely believe you but it's never been a problem on any of the Nexuses I've had and it's fine on my Galaxy Nexus running stock 4.0.4 IMM76I.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So Nova launcher is pretty cool. I wonder why Google doesn't allow more customization of their launcher, like infinite homescreen scroll, grid resizing, etc.

I like the fact that I can reduce my homescreen count from 5 to three, and that which screen I'm on is way less obtrusive with a little blue bar on the bottom than it is with the series of boxes along the top with the stock launcher. I've been fiddling around with it and the free version gives you plenty of options.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

So Nova launcher is pretty cool. I wonder why Google doesn't allow more customization of their launcher, like infinite homescreen scroll, grid resizing, etc.

I like the fact that I can reduce my homescreen count from 5 to three, and that which screen I'm on is way less obtrusive with a little blue bar on the bottom than it is with the series of boxes along the top with the stock launcher. I've been fiddling around with it and the free version gives you plenty of options.
The stock launcher is a little blue bar along the bottom, the series of boxes is from some sort of janky third-party launcher like TouchWiz or Sense.

Nova's worth the money for Prime in my opinion. The swipe options on the dock make it worth it for me alone.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Porkchop Express posted:

That On{X} seems like a good idea in theory, but they don't really give you an easy way to make up a "recipe". You can look at the code for some of the premade ones, but if you don't know what any of it means its sort of useless, and I didn't see a whole lot in the way of tutorials. I guess if they eventually come out with a way to get a hold of more than the 8 ones they have listed now, but until then I don't know what I would do with it.

On the other hand, as someone with a bit of programming experience, their examples are super simple and it would be really easy to make a new one to do basically whatever. So now, what I don't get is what their target audience is. You have to understand programming to make your own things, and just selecting from pre-built ones seems pretty limited in usefulness, so uh... programmers?

It's pretty cool though, I'm especially curious how the modeOfTransport thing works. It's supposed to be able to tell whether you're at rest, walking, running, or driving. I'm really curious how well that works, because that could be neat to play with.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Arcsech posted:

On the other hand, as someone with a bit of programming experience, their examples are super simple and it would be really easy to make a new one to do basically whatever. So now, what I don't get is what their target audience is. You have to understand programming to make your own things, and just selecting from pre-built ones seems pretty limited in usefulness, so uh... programmers?

I was under the impression that programmers could make new pre-built recipes and share them with the non-technical crowd.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I think it would have been a lot better if they had given a better tutorial to try and get people in to making their own recipes. If they made an expanded tutorial I could see it perhaps being a gateway to getting people in to programming. I mean heck, I wouldn't mind learning how to if it were offered.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Is there any working call recorder for ICS? I just bought Total Recall and it doesn't seem to work with my Samsung Nexus S 4G, despite claims that it would. :(

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The stock launcher is a little blue bar along the bottom, the series of boxes is from some sort of janky third-party launcher like TouchWiz or Sense.

Nova's worth the money for Prime in my opinion. The swipe options on the dock make it worth it for me alone.

Weird, because I'm on a TF300, and I thought that the series of boxes along the top was stock, as virtually everything else on it is. I guess not!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MrCodeDude posted:

Is there any working call recorder for ICS? I just bought Total Recall and it doesn't seem to work with my Samsung Nexus S 4G, despite claims that it would. :(

If you're using Google Voice, you should be able to record calls by hitting 4 during incoming calls.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are there any music players that work from the lock screen like the built in HTC music player does?

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you're using Google Voice, you should be able to record calls by hitting 4 during incoming calls.

Are you using a custom kernel? A lot of the call recorders require a custom kernel that activates this in the chipset. The one I use does, and it works well.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TLG James posted:

Are there any music players that work from the lock screen like the built in HTC music player does?

Some players do use the APIs in Android 4.0 for lockscreen playback controls. Spotify and Pocket Casts do this off the top of my head.

Now whether or not it works because of OEM customizations is another thing. In Sense 3.6 with ICS it isn't there, but it is in Sense 4 and looks like the regular Sense playback controls.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Arcsech posted:

I think this app is a Trojan horse for Microsoft. Launch on Android, sit back and wait on easily identifiable Facebook logins to start building impressive scrips. Then, send these talented devs job offers to work for Windows Phone.

Haha, well maybe not but I, for one, am certainly not their target audience. If its not pre-done for me, I would never use the program.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

TLG James posted:

PowerAmp again.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
1. What's a good camera app? I want something that will let me turn off the shutter sound effect.

2. Are there any good android specific sites/blogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lot 49 posted:

1. What's a good camera app? I want something that will let me turn off the shutter sound effect.

2. Are there any good android specific sites/blogs?
Are you rooted? If so you can just delete the shutter sound.

As for 2., Phandroid and Android Police aren't bad.

• Locked thread