Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bef posted:

Is final fantasy tactics advance any good? I've heard good (and difficult) things about the one on the playstation but I was wondering if the gba version holds up as well.

If you want a good tactics game for GBA/Gc just get the Tactics Ogre game(s?) instead. It's pretty much the exact same engine, only a good game instead of whatever the christ FFTA tried to be.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Would you happen to know if the iOS version of War of the Lions has the same issues with framerate that the PSP version has?

It does.

Hope you like waiting an extra 5-10 seconds when you cast protect on your group. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It does.

Hope you like waiting an extra 5-10 seconds when you cast protect on your group. :sigh:

Really? It's running off of flash memory, that fixes it on the PSP.

Oh right, Square.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

bef posted:

Is final fantasy tactics advance any good? I've heard good (and difficult) things about the one on the playstation but I was wondering if the gba version holds up as well.

I'd definitely recommend FFTA2 over FFTA, in that it was generally improved and had less bullshit. As far as challenging fun gameplay and breakability, though, the original FFT blows them both out of the water. Don't be put off by the alleged difficulty; it has a few very tough fights, but people who have gotten comfortable with the game can stomp all over everything without any trouble, and have made obscene hard mods just to get any challenge anymore.

Firaga posted:

I just started a new file in FF12 IZJS and I've only played through this game once when it came out, does anybody have any advice or general tips?

As in the original game, steal everything. Put an Enemy HP = 100% -> Steal gambit on your leader, and an Enemy: Party Leader's Target-> attack gambit on everyone else. The stealing will be important for earning money and unlocking items in the bazaar.

You don't need to buy every single equipment upgrade for each character. If you're short on cash, skip some armor every now and then. You usually shouldn't need to grind TOO much.

Before assigning Espers to a character, check everyone's license board to see if the Esper unlocks licenses for any of them. Similarly, the boards have 4 Quickenings, but you can only have 3 per character- the last will disappear. Make sure you take all the Quickenings that unlock other licenses.

I'd suggest making someone a white mage.

Advice beyond that depends on how min-maxy you want to get.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Yar The Pirate posted:

I got a piece of mail from the old Playstation Underground advertising Star Ocean 2. I didn't know what an RPG really was so I rented that, then rented FF7. Fell in love with both, and now I'm one of the obviously illogical few who found few problems with FF13. 10 is probably my favorite though. I think the laughing scene has a much deeper meaning than most of the internet gives it, especially after you find out what Yuna is ACTUALLY going through when Tidus finds out about Sins big secret from Auron. Yes, I unironically think the laughing scene is touching and emotional. :fuckoff:

I dunno, I always for the basic meaning to be pretty strong as is: a huge theme in the game's world is people literally have to make an effort to be cheerful because they'll otherwise sink into the despair knowing their beautiful Spira (and the fact its beautiful is another ironic kick in the balls) at any time can come up and completely wreck everyone's poo poo and they can't do a drat thing about it.

keet fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 7, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

10 is really the darkest game in the series.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh right, Square.

Actually, it doesn't fix it on PSP, loading the PSX version up will still be faster than running WotL with both on the same flash card... unless of course you use the WotL speed fix patch. They deliberately slowed down the effects for WotL in code, it's not just seek time. And worse, apparently the patch works fine with the disc version too, meaning they deliberately slowed it down for nothing.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, FF4 tells a very simple story but tells it very, very well. It's just the way the characters interact, I assume; it's really basic, but at the same time, it does everything it needs to do without going overboard or embellishing the wrong places, and even though its conclusion is very predictable, truth told, predictable is predictable because it works in storytelling. I mean, thousands of loving years of literary tradition can't be wrong.

For comparison, think about the two big plot twists in Final Fantasy 8. People bang on about the later one more than the first one. The first one isn't actually less stupid or pointless, but it's *coherent*.

Dr Pepper posted:

10 is really the darkest game in the series.

10's creepiness works because the game is never really couched in the flags/cliches associated with a dark storyline, everything is beautiful as gently caress and looks like a tourist's wet dream. I supposed players who have been ground zero for nasty hurricanes or tsunamis catch on the nasty vibe much quicker. WHile that proves you can do a more "serious" story without going cliche, it also proves the average player pretty much looks at the superficial bits of a game (memes, soundbites, how the cover art looks) and mostly gets their opinions from that. FF9 is really cliche ridden as gently caress in some parts, but its done in the context of literally being a fairy tale, so again, it doesnt stand out as something weird. FF7 is sometimes remembered as artistically gritty mainly because Midgar is LITERALLY GRITTY and many places seem covered in literal poo poo or magical fallout, not because the tone is exceptionally different.

These are the same people who dismissed games not for their own merits, but because "some monkey dude on the cover with a weird shadow midget didnt look as badass as Squall" "Some cute girl who wears a pretty outfit and smiles means this game is literally for fangirls/gayzors/dickstroking". I mean, if the my biggest peeve with a Square product lately could simply be a literal paragraph rant about BELTS N ZIPPERS aestetic, thats a sum good situation.

I think the main sticking point isn't that people dislike a convoluted story in an RPG per se, but that recent ones add convolution to stories that objectively are pretty drat simple, so it feels like padding and posturing. ("Okay, if AC Cloud is an attempt to make the character more identifable and thats why he's different, why doesn't he deal with depression by protectively putting on the airs of a vaguely smug loveable snarky guy, like we literally SAW him doing?" "Because then you can't have bits where he looks at stuff deep in thought and gives glib answers to his friends")

keet fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh right, Square.

Yeah I can't really get how a PS1 game would have slowdown on modern hardware. It'd be like having FF1 run slowly on a GBA; even if it's being emulated somewhat the hardware itself is a hell of a lot more powerful than the original console.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Yar The Pirate posted:

I think the laughing scene has a much deeper meaning than most of the internet gives it, especially after you find out what Yuna is ACTUALLY going through when Tidus finds out about Sins big secret from Auron. Yes, I unironically think the laughing scene is touching and emotional. :fuckoff:

I'm with you bro. I didn't even know the laughing scene was A Thing To Hate until I started reading about FF10 on the internet. It seems to fit so well in there, with an oblivious foreigner trying vainly to cheer up a death-bound local who is too gentle to break the truth to him.

Also...

penguinmambo posted:

10's creepiness works because the game is never really couched in the flags/cliches associated with a dark storyline, everything is beautiful as gently caress and looks like a tourist's wet dream.

...is spot on. Grimdark sucks not because things that are dark and grim suck, but because the people in charge of aesthetics are so seeped in trite poo poo that every iteration of grimdark is derived from another. "Derived" isn't even the right word, more like there's a secret convention that determines what clichés to use in a genre and it's attended by everyone in the gaming industry and they all swear a blood oath to not introduce new stuff.

Having a story about literal destrudo based in a destination location is genius, and whoever thought that up probably got killed by the other guys from the secret grimdark convention.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
FFX has a solid story in a good environment that is ruined by terrible characters.

Like, I'm supposed to take any game that includes Seymour Guado seriously?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, the characters in FF10 are pretty bad. I can't even remember the personal stories of any of them outside of the main two, and even now I'm struggling to remember what happened in Yuna's life that isn't connected to the mainline quest.

On the other hand, the themes are presentation are really good, and combined with the gameplay means FF10 is in my top 5 jRPGs.

And I always called him Seemore Guido, which is closer to the original intent of the artists I believe.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Ended up finishing FFVI over the weekend after about a week, I've played it maybe 4 times over the last 10 years but never managed to get further than the 10 hour mark (beginning of WOR). Now all I have to do is to finish IV, V, IX and XII which I've either never played or left unfinished.

It's gonna be a long winter.

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 7, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Now all I have to do is to finish IV, V, IX and XII which I've ever never played or left unfinished.

Do you want to get the longest out of the way first, or the shortest?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Yeah, the characters in FF10 are pretty bad. I can't even remember the personal stories of any of them outside of the main two, and even now I'm struggling to remember what happened in Yuna's life that isn't connected to the mainline quest.

On the other hand, the themes are presentation are really good, and combined with the gameplay means FF10 is in my top 5 jRPGs.

And I always called him Seemore Guido, which is closer to the original intent of the artists I believe.

I really liked the visual character design of FFX because everyone had a cool color palette they were working with that fit in with their job.

Lulu: Black Mage so she gets black clothes and dark makeup
Auron: Samurai guy wearing all red with his massive sword
Rikku: Thiefy looking thief
Kimahri: Blue mage who is literally blue. I didn't say they're all good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Besides Kimahri and I guess Rikku (because spunk is always hated), I'm not sure what makes the supporting FFX horrible other than their design.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really liked the visual character design of FFX because everyone had a cool color palette they were working with that fit in with their job.

Lulu: Black Mage so she gets black clothes and dark makeup
Auron: Samurai guy wearing all red with his massive sword
Rikku: Thiefy looking thief
Kimahri: Blue mage who is literally blue. I didn't say they're all good

Lulu has a terrible design that looks totally out of place the entier game. Like, somehow her model got mixed up with the FFXIV models, from some other game, and the team just decided "gently caress it" and kept her.

At least Seymour and Auran look vaguely tropical and island-y, while Lulu just doesnt fit in any way. Which could have manybe worked better for a guy like Tydus, whos whole point is to be the outsider as ask the questions the players neet to ask, but on Lulu it's just garish and unecessary (so peak Nomura). There were probably a hundred ways to design that character that would have all given us something way better, but nope, we got Belts-Mc-Bust.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Pesky Splinter posted:

Do you want to get the longest out of the way first, or the shortest?
The shortest, from what I've played I figure that would be IV but I've never tried V or IX so I don't really know. I think VI had the perfect length, I cleared it in about 30 hours or so which was great.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I just beat VI yesterday after having not played it since I was approximately eight years old. I didn't really remember/pay attention to much of the story line or any the various character development scenes as a kid. That game was loving depressing.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 7, 2012

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

FFX has a solid story in a good environment that is ruined by terrible characters.

Like, I'm supposed to take any game that includes Seymour Guado seriously?

I took him seriously just because he seemed so strange that I wasn't particularly surprised when his nutjob plan was revealed. Especially since every time he appeared "CREEPY MUSIC" would begin. Sorta like Kefka I guess.

I'll agree to disagree with you though in that I didn't mind any of the characters. Except Rikku...ugh

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TheIllestVillain posted:

The shortest, from what I've played I figure that would be IV but I've never tried V or IX so I don't really know. I think VI had the perfect length, I cleared it in about 30 hours or so which was great.

IV and V are about the same length, and both don't take long (unless it's the DS version of IV, which takes a bit longer). My playthrough of V is at 15 hours, and that's just a vanilla run, not bothering with getting all the summons or leveling up all the jobs, just the decent ones.

IX can be done to near completion in about...35 hours? It doesn't take too long for an RPG. First time through...maybe about 40 hours?

XII is a very long game, even if you're not bothering with the extra stuff. Mostly because it has sprawling dungeons and two of the worst levels in any video game - a big gently caress-off tower, and a giant maze with a useless map. My playthrough was at something like 80 hours, because I made it my mission to get all the Espers. Never a-loving-gain. :negative:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

This is no joke. I installed this a day or two after it was released and it's seriously night and day. It will make you fall in love with FFT all over again.

ysionris
Apr 27, 2012

Ragequit posted:

This is no joke. I installed this a day or two after it was released and it's seriously night and day. It will make you fall in love with FFT all over again.

You, good sir, deserve a medal for this.

There is only one possible course of action from this. Off to Ivalice~ X3

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Ragequit posted:

Looks like I'll need to get custom firmware on my PSP, as the lag is one of the reasons why I never get very far in War of the Lions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat War of the Lions with the lag then I did it again on iOS :I

I'll endure the slowdown for the new stuff they added, my iOS playthrough I was using the characters I'd never used before.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Allan Assiduity posted:

Looks like I'll need to get custom firmware on my PSP, as the lag is one of the reasons why I never get very far in War of the Lions.

Absolutely get that custom firmware. I remember reading ages ago that the lag was "unfixable" so I was leery at first. When the intro battle fired up and the first few attacks were dished out I immediately said, "Oh boy, I'm in some real trouble here." and then all of a sudden the sun was rising.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ragequit posted:

This is really good. I need to figure out how to install it on my PSP eventually.

Now, if they could only fix the music...

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

This is really good. I need to figure out how to install it on my PSP eventually.

Now, if they could only fix the music...

It's been awhile since I fired it up, but what's wrong with the music?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It's been a while for me as well, but I remember the music was slightly off. Like the reverb or some instrument's volume wasn't exactly right or something.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Tae posted:

Besides Kimahri and I guess Rikku (because spunk is always hated), I'm not sure what makes the supporting FFX horrible other than their design.

They're just flimsy and one dimensional and not really interesting. The most compelling non-mainline story in the game is, what? Rikku's relation to Yuna? Lulu's childhood love? Khimari's, something? I dunno, they all kinda suck and I can't even fully remember them despite FF10 being my second best FF.

That leaves the mainline story to do all the work, and luckily it's a really good mainline story.

FF10 is sort of the exact opposite of FF13 when it comes to mainline/sides story focus. FF13's mainline is crap but it's character stories work really well, while FF10's character stories suck but it's mainline story makes up for it.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Lilli posted:

I just beat VI yesterday after having not played it since I was approximately eight years old. I didn't really remember/pay attention to much of the story line or any the various character development scenes as a kid. That game was loving depressing.

I'm just starting the WoR and I noticed this as well. The last time I played through FF6 I was in elementary school. It was my first FF and was (and still is) my favourite. The game is beyond depressing for a FF title though. So far:

- Terra's family dies horribly after an Imperial invasion/being slowly killed in a research facility. Terra is raised as some sort Imperial slave from the time she's found by Gestahl.

- All the magicites are dead espers.

- Cyan's family and friends all die after being poisoned. The population of the Kingdom of Doma is subjected to genocide.

- Locke's girlfriend falls into a pit and the corpse is kept preserved in a basement by some creep.

- Banon and almost all the Returners die (presumably) when the World of Balance falls apart.

- Edgar and Sabin's mother dies during childbirth. Sabin ends up killing his teacher's son.

- Setzer's girlfriend dies in an airship accident. Setzer looks like he belongs in a "faces of meth" youtube video.

- Gau's mother dies during childbirth, his father has a nervous breakdown and thinks the child is a demon. Gau grows up with monsters and because of his lack of human interaction does not develop normally.

- Everyone on the island with Celes' commits or attempts to commit suicide except Cid. Cid is the closest thing to family Celes has and she gets to see him die slowly while feeding him an assortment of fish.

- General Leo, who seems like a fairly upstanding guy, is murdered by Kefka.

- Emperor Gestahl is tortured to death by Kefka.

- All of the poor of Jidoor were kicked out and forced to live in depraved conditions in Zozo.

- Shadow can die when the Floating Continent goes down.

- A large percentage of the WoB population dies.

Despite being depressing as hell the pacing is excellent and the main characters are fairly well developed for an SNES era game. Also, the story is fairly coherent, which is more than I can say for almost any JRPG, especially a SNES era JRPG.

NewtGoongrich fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 7, 2012

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Krad posted:

It's been a while for me as well, but I remember the music was slightly off. Like the reverb or some instrument's volume wasn't exactly right or something.

Yeah the reverb is hosed and makes it sound all beepy :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Yeah, FF4 tells a very simple story but tells it very, very well. It's just the way the characters interact, I assume; it's really basic, but at the same time, it does everything it needs to do without going overboard or embellishing the wrong places, and even though its conclusion is very predictable, truth told, predictable is predictable because it works in storytelling. I mean, thousands of loving years of literary tradition can't be wrong.

Going back a page here. I've always preferred FF4 because of that. The combat system was nothing to write home about the and the difficulty jumps all over the place but its just a really well made game. It has very simple themes and identifiable characters with an impressive scale for the whole setting. I also like the fact that they knew how to do an ending back then. It was this 20+ minute sequence that ends the journey and gives you some closure for each of the characters in a meaningful way. It was a great little game with fun things like airships, a trip to the moon and even had stupid twists like the dark crystals which ended up being a real shocker when you thought you had almost beat the game. I wish more games were made with that kind of care.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

- Everyone on the island with Celes' commits or attempts to commit suicide except Cid. Cid is the closest thing to family Celes has and she gets to see him die slowly while feeding him an assortment of fish.

But you can save him! There is hope! It was so neat how depending on what happened it completely changed her and her whole outlook at that point (and the player's).

And Setzer's walk into the tomb was brilliant, getting choked up just thinking about it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I always let Cid die, simply because it results in a much better scene. Sorry Cid. :(

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

I always let Cid die, simply because it results in a much better scene. Sorry Cid. :(

So true.....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cid being able to survive is just bizarre as hell. It makes no sense and converts that entire sequence to "Welp, thanks for all the fish. Have a raft. No, no, I'll stay here. No, no, no end to my character arc or anything. I just really fuckin' love fish."

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

This Jacket Is Me posted:

They're just flimsy and one dimensional and not really interesting. The most compelling non-mainline story in the game is, what? Rikku's relation to Yuna? Lulu's childhood love? Khimari's, something? I dunno, they all kinda suck and I can't even fully remember them despite FF10 being my second best FF.

That leaves the mainline story to do all the work, and luckily it's a really good mainline story.

FF10 is sort of the exact opposite of FF13 when it comes to mainline/sides story focus. FF13's mainline is crap but it's character stories work really well, while FF10's character stories suck but it's mainline story makes up for it.

Wakka's character arc was pretty decent (or maybe I just remember it better than it was. v:v:v ).

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Cid being able to survive is just bizarre as hell. It makes no sense and converts that entire sequence to "Welp, thanks for all the fish. Have a raft. No, no, I'll stay here. No, no, no end to my character arc or anything. I just really fuckin' love fish."

Yeah I was so intrigued when I found you could save him, but then he just.....stays there forever? Do I need to visit now and then? Awkward....

I still couldn't bear to kill him with slow fish once I knew the trick, I'm a softy when it comes to killing nice NPCs to this day.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Wakka's character arc was pretty decent (or maybe I just remember it better than it was. v:v:v ).

Naw I played FFX again recently and it's still pretty good. Yeah it throws out some tropes concerning his brother, Lulu, and some other stuff but I found it fleshed his character out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

VaultAggie posted:

I didn't see that scene as a kid (somehow I managed to save him on accident), I just remembered having to feed him a bunch of fish. This play through I accidentally killed him when I fed him a rotten fish. That scene was heartbreaking.