Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Look what Lego have just done:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

InitialDave posted:

The Lego Zeppelin kit better be massive :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

The stick in the cockpit actually moves the ailerons and elevators via the cables you can see looping over the roundels and attached to the top of said elevators. Not the rudder though. Tommy don't get no rudder.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Geizkragen posted:

I wish I remember where these guys were from, but they were nice enough to email us some pics they took one day (they liked the flags).
Does the super bug need to deploy air brakes to refuel?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

InitialDave posted:

This is loving awesome and I wants it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Godholio posted:

This is loving awesome and I wants it.

Easy there Gollum.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

grover posted:

Does the super bug need to deploy air brakes to refuel?

Haha no. They asked to see the flags. I fell out of the basket about .000001 sec after that was taken.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Geizkragen posted:

Haha no. They asked to see the flags. I fell out of the basket about .000001 sec after that was taken.

Better than the basket falling out of the plane. The incidents in this video must have led to a lot of headaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOaHGMEQ68

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Do I see a flash in that F-14's engine? Also, I loving love that helo video at the end.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I.D. this aircraft:

Hint: It's somewhere in here:
The Virtual Aircraft Museum, which I haven't seen posted in this thread, but looks to be very comprehensive.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

joat mon posted:

I.D. this aircraft:

Hint: It's somewhere in here:
The Virtual Aircraft Museum, which I haven't seen posted in this thread, but looks to be very comprehensive.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/latvia/vef_i-16.php

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Well, we sweet talked our way into media day at the MN Air Spectacular today. Saw the Blues, Sean Tucker, and I got to lay on the edge of a taxiway as two Superhornets rolled nearly over me. Got some kick rear end pictures but it's going to take a while to sort 30gb...

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Denzels new movie about being a pilot. Suspend realism now before watching the trailer.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/flight-trailer

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well the public is going to eat that poo poo up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does he...land it upside down?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Does he...land it upside down?

No. Looks like he figures out a way to gain some directional control on the pitch axis using trim then aileron rolls it prior to the impact right side up.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

HeyEng posted:

Well the public is going to eat that poo poo up.

Me too looks like fun and a great cast cheadle/Denzel .

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I'm glad I hadn't heard of that before, and it's unfortunate I've heard of it now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The upside down bit not only plausible, but has been done. Unfortunately, it was a brave but ultimately unsuccessful attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

quote:

1619:43 CAM-2 mayday.
1619:49 CAM-1 push and roll, push and roll.
1619:54 CAM-1 ok, we are inverted... and now we gotta get it….
1619:59 CAM [sound of chime]
1620:03 CAM-1 kick *
1620:04 CAM-1 push push push... push the blue side up.
1620:14 CAM-1 push.
1620:14 CAM-2 I'm pushing.
1620:16 CAM-1 ok now lets kick rudder... left rudder left rudder.
1620:18 CAM-2 I can't reach it.
1620:20 CAM-1 ok right rudder... right rudder.
1620:25 CAM-1 are we flyin?... we're flyin... we're flyin... tell 'em what we're doin.
1620:33 CAM-2 oh yea let me get *
1620:35 CAM-1 *
1620:38 CAM-1 gotta get it over again... at least upside down we're flyin.
1620:40.6 PA [sound similar to CVR startup tone]
1620:42 CAM-? *
1620:44 CAM-? *
1620:49 CAM [sounds similar to compressor stalls begin and continue to end of recording]
1620:49 CAM [sound similar to engine spool down]
1620:54 CAM-1 speedbrakes.
1620:55.1 CAM-2 got it.
1620:56.2 CAM-1 ah here we go.
1620:57.1 [end of recording]

http://www.tailstrike.com/310100.htm

I guess the film is more about the role of a hero who is not supposed to have flaws, such as drinking. Interesting, but far less gripping than the CVR transcript.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Ola posted:

The upside down bit not only plausible, but has been done. Unfortunately, it was a brave but ultimately unsuccessful attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

http://www.tailstrike.com/310100.htm

I guess the film is more about the role of a hero who is not supposed to have flaws, such as drinking. Interesting, but far less gripping than the CVR transcript.

True story, I was sitting in the SeaTac Alaska Airlines boardroom waiting on my flight back to Juneau when Flight 261 went down. Lots of horrified looks when that appeared on all the TVs, and it was a...somewhat apprehensive flight back to Juneau. I took comfort that only 737s did the SEA-JNU run.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SyHopeful posted:

True story, I was sitting in the SeaTac Alaska Airlines boardroom waiting on my flight back to Juneau when Flight 261 went down. Lots of horrified looks when that appeared on all the TVs, and it was a...somewhat apprehensive flight back to Juneau. I took comfort that only 737s did the SEA-JNU run.

Even though that accident wasn't entirely the aircraft's fault. Sure, the DC-9/MD-80 is susceptible to a certain type of failure, but had that aircraft not been pencil-whipped through maintenance and had its horizontal stabiliser serviced properly, that accident would have never happened.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Er, yeah. You know there was a problem with the 737 rudder, and that it could decide it fancied jamming full-on? And that the FAA didn't order an upgrade until two years after the Flight 261 incident? Your comfort may have been misplaced.

While we're on filmchat, I have a free cinema ticket I need to use this month. Is Red Tails any good?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

InitialDave posted:

Er, yeah. You know there was a problem with the 737 rudder, and that it could decide it fancied jamming full-on? And that the FAA didn't order an upgrade until two years after the Flight 261 incident? Your comfort may have been misplaced.

While we're on filmchat, I have a free cinema ticket I need to use this month. Is Red Tails any good?

NO gently caress NO

On a scale of "drat" to "OMGFUCK" this one ranks high for me in terms of aircraft mishaps--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've heard Redtails is alright as long as you know they were aiming for a 1940s ra ra America sort of movie.

Also the Gimli Glider for me is second only to that roof ripping off that airliner near Hawaii in terms of "Jesus! And they lived through that?!"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

There's a difference between passing an English exam and being intelligible. I've worked with PLENTY of foreign pilots that sounded like gibberish on the radio.

A couple days back, but I can't count the number of times this week I've had to go do a face to face with a guy from one of the many foreign units we have up here for a Flag because I couldn't understand him or her over the phone or radio. Obviously there's some of their mx dudes who just flat out don't speak English, but almost all the guys I had to do a face to face with actually speak relatively easily understandable English in person, it's just the accent/syntax/etc that makes it hard to understand over the radio or phone.

Godholio posted:

Do I see a flash in that F-14's engine? Also, I loving love that helo video at the end.

Probably a compressor stall.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've heard Redtails is alright as long as you know they were aiming for a 1940s ra ra America sort of movie.

Also the Gimli Glider for me is second only to that roof ripping off that airliner near Hawaii in terms of "Jesus! And they lived through that?!"

The Aloha 737 mishap isn't that insane due to Boeing's remarkable over-engineering of their airplanes. Boeing prides themselves on the fact that their jet's could suffer significant structural damage but only to compartmentalized area and continue flying. The book "Jet Age" explains this using the example of Boeing exec's showing prospective buyers a video of a a new 707 under a mammoth guillotine-like device that drops a huge metal slab on the fuselage. The short story is the jet remained structurally intact minus the immediate area surrounding the impact.

Much of Boeing's jet design philosophy came from watching De Havilland deal with their seriously compromised early Comet's.

Anyhow! My point being that outstanding piloting saved the Gimli crew and pax where good jet design seriously aided the Aloha flight. They're both situations I never ever want to be in.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

While it has its faults, it's still a good movie and you should go see it.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

HeyEng posted:

On a scale of "drat" to "OMGFUCK" this one ranks high for me in terms of aircraft mishaps--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

I've always been partial to United Flight 232. I think it was the first case of an airliner using primitive thrust vectoring ("differential engine power") alone to fly and land a plane. Reading the similar accidents are of the wiki article, it mentions an incident where all the hydraulics failed and they successfully landed the plane using differential engine power alone.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fire Storm posted:

I've always been partial to United Flight 232. I think it was the first case of an airliner using primitive thrust vectoring ("differential engine power") alone to fly and land a plane. Reading the similar accidents are of the wiki article, it mentions an incident where all the hydraulics failed and they successfully landed the plane using differential engine power alone.

That is a very dramatic mishap, too. The DC-10 had a few of those potentially catastrophic engineering choices made during its design. A KC-10 eng told me that the leading edge flap device can ruin a day if one side doesn't deploy due to differential lift.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

People need a little perspective on how "bad" things are when you fly. I'm sure this was posted earlier, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

People need a little perspective on how "bad" things are when you fly. I'm sure this was posted earlier, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Yeah, if the worst thing about hurtling through the air in a metal tube at 600mph is a bit of a delay, consider yourself lucky to live in modern times. I'm scanning the list of commercial aircraft mishaps on wikipedia, and they averaged two or three crashes a year between the wars; 1947 to present, it's more like 15-20 a year. But when you consider the volume, we're doing pretty good these days -- I'd like to see airline incidents compared to total flights per year; I have a feeling the first midair collision of airliners in 1922 killed a statistically significant portion of the year's commercial air passengers, while last year's 19 fatal crashes and 3 with all surviving (and that includes cargo flights) wouldn't even really show up as a percentage of the total.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, if the worst thing about hurtling through the air in a metal tube at 600mph is a bit of a delay, consider yourself lucky to live in modern times. I'm scanning the list of commercial aircraft mishaps on wikipedia, and they averaged two or three crashes a year between the wars; 1947 to present, it's more like 15-20 a year. But when you consider the volume, we're doing pretty good these days -- I'd like to see airline incidents compared to total flights per year; I have a feeling the first midair collision of airliners in 1922 killed a statistically significant portion of the year's commercial air passengers, while last year's 19 fatal crashes and 3 with all surviving (and that includes cargo flights) wouldn't even really show up as a percentage of the total.

I looked through that list for American carriers after 2001 and I think there were less than five with fatalities.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

That is a very dramatic mishap, too. The DC-10 had a few of those potentially catastrophic engineering choices made during its design. A KC-10 eng told me that the leading edge flap device can ruin a day if one side doesn't deploy due to differential lift.

That played a role in the American 191 mishap; when the aircraft lost a hydraulic system as a result of the engine falling off it caused the slats to retract on one of the wings and the asymmetric lift/stall condition caused the aircraft to uncontrollably roll inverted before impact. Although to be fair, asymmetric lift because of a mismatch between which high lift devices are deployed between the two wings isn't really a specific DC-10 problem.

Delivery McGee posted:

Air travel has statistically (when you consider passenger miles) been the safest mode of transportation for some time and has only gotten safer over the past couple of decades. I'm too lazy to break the numbers down, but I would bet that it's even safer if you only consider modern regulated scheduled airlines, which are going to be what the majority of people like us spend most of their time flying on (excluding stuff like bush pilots, African charter operators, etc.)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

That played a role in the American 191 mishap; when the aircraft lost a hydraulic system as a result of the engine falling off it caused the slats to retract on one of the wings and the asymmetric lift/stall condition caused the aircraft to uncontrollably roll inverted before impact. Although to be fair, asymmetric lift because of a mismatch between which high lift devices are deployed between the two wings isn't really a specific DC-10 problem.

It's the degree of the differential lift that makes it especially dangerous on a DC-10. I've read it at a few places that the wing design on the DC-10 is not outstanding due to the amount of lift it generates for the aircraft size.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

It's the degree of the differential lift that makes it especially dangerous on a DC-10. I've read it at a few places that the wing design on the DC-10 is not outstanding due to the amount of lift it generates for the aircraft size.

Good point, I didn't think about that.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
If you are at all interested in what happened on United 232 watch this I bet after part one you will not be able to leave your computer until you have finished the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPu0chBQeUk

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

cobra_64 posted:

If you are at all interested in what happened on United 232 watch this I bet after part one you will not be able to leave your computer until you have finished the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPu0chBQeUk

This is awesome. And the DC-10 was a death trap.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Like a DC-10 guaranteed to go down
But baby your black box is the one that I found

The Bloodhound Gang - Kiss Me Where It Smells Funny

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

iyaayas01 posted:

On the other hand, the slat system that was held in place solely with hydraulic pressure, and the warning systems that weren't on redundant power, were DC-10 problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Watching a documentary about the Tenerife airport disaster. Getting hella pissed at that KLM captain.