Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
Following on from that 7th Sea story, Linnus's player has sent me blueprints for 17th century sea mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Exculpatrix posted:

Following on from that 7th Sea story, Linnus's player has sent me blueprints for 17th century sea mines.

Hell yes build a fleet of Hunleys and crew them with NPCs you don't like

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LuiCypher posted:

Feeling threatened, my robot gunslinger attempted to figure out just how to get rid of this guy.

Haha, yeah, you certainly do prefer characters who don't get involved in messy human social interactions, like actually saying "hey, why don't you quit being such a jerk" or "your character is making it not fun to play this game".

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
My Rifts game keeps on getting more and more insane. I came with a really bizarre joke which ended up with someone actually suggesting that we try to weaponize Durian.
:d: : For you some fruit that you wanted. For you a watermelon. For you apples. And for you a Durian.
:o: :A what?
:d: :A Durian.
:o: :What is a durian?
:d: :A stinky fruit.
:cool: :Its actually illegal to bring them into hotels in Indonesia. The smell is quite atrocious and hard to eliminate.
:o: :Why would you eat it?
:cool: :Its actually quite good.
:o: :Huh...
Eventually we enter into negotiations later to try and fence goods. The character I gave the durian is there.
:o: :I have my hands on the durain stored underneath the table if things get troublesome.
Then later he turns to me and says.
:o: :We should weaponize this.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 6, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Have you ever handled one of those things? With a long enough stem they'd make a hell of a truncheon.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Haha, yeah, you certainly do prefer characters who don't get involved in messy human social interactions, like actually saying "hey, why don't you quit being such a jerk" or "your character is making it not fun to play this game".

Two factors at play here.

1) Everyone in the group is a little passive-aggressive. And by little I mean very. Afterwards, the player involved and I had a good talk and we've never really had any disagreements in game again. That being said, this little incident between this player and I never really equaled some of the other spats that occurred in this group. Two members of our group regularly clash to the point where we've basically had to stop playing games with both of them in the same room. We had a different GURPS session where one of them made a super-strong invisible space marine sniper and basically made a Pun-Pun character in GURPS - all of his advantages balanced out his disadvantages in a cost-effective way. The other made a dragon with some insane AoE acid breath that killed everything. The game ended after the first session after both players admitted they made a character to counter the other and their characters were so overpowered compared to the others that our presence was pointless.

2) Our usual GM likes to force his groups to play like he does - constantly betraying each other. I kid you not that every time we play a game with this guy as a player, he's finding some way to subvert what the party is doing together for his own benefit and screwing us over. That's fine every now and again - people are allowed to make their own characters, and sometimes characters like this can generate some pretty impressive stories. But when it becomes habitual like - oh I don't know, playing a robot and avoiding a lot of human interactions - it becomes an issue. Furthermore, as a GM he likes to bring in his friends to play with us and severely incentivizes betrayal over cooperation because he thinks "in-group drama makes for better storytelling". All it really results in is #1.

After a few campaigns, our group recognized that these were distinct problems with the way that we played. As a result, we talked over the issues, made some concrete agreements, and made an effort to play more cooperatively. When problems come up, we resolves them out-of-game instead. It's either that or play Paranoia where a sociopathic playstyle is not only welcome, but it's encouraged!

Needless to say, you raise a good point. In order to stop being the one with the cat piss, you have to engage in messy human interactions and say things to each other like "hey, why don't you quit being such a jerk" or "your character is making it not fun to play this game".

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

You guys would really like Aye, Dark Overlord!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Have you ever handled one of those things? With a long enough stem they'd make a hell of a truncheon.
I could have sworn there was a Jackie Chan movie where some crime lord killed a dude with one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LuiCypher posted:

Needless to say, you raise a good point.

Perhaps, but I was also being snide, and it seems you're self-aware enough not to have deserved it.

Play games, have fun.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

I was playing Psychonauts earlier, and it reminded me of a really awesome Mage campaign I was in.

The basic premise was Psychonauts: Mage Edition. Our group is employed by an Awakened fortuneteller to help exorcise the inner demons of various individuals. We're assured that there will be a reliable artifact to get us in and out of the various levels of the Astral, and that non-Mind magic will work more or less as normal in the various minds we enter. This was, the ST later admitted, just so we didn't all build Mastigos. There's me, playing an Obrimos made man who's in this for the money; an Acanthus who literally believes that if he plans things out in advance, his Fate magic will fail, played by a guy who can take a character concept that sounds like That Guy's character, then make it work and actually complement the party setup; and a Thyrsus, played by a doctor friend of ours who always plays the sneaky-type characters.

Our first assignment is to help our extremely over-the-top employer (bright purple robe, pointed hat, and curled-toe boots at all times in his shop. Heavy Egyptian-style eyeshadow, complete with Eye of Horus pattern on both eyes. No facial hair at all that we can see. Extremely fake 'Arabic' accent) with a personal friend of his who's having some problems. He sets us up to go into her astral space, using some magic incense he claims he made.

We go in, and things immediately go wrong. Virtually everything in her mindspace is adorned with Atlantean characters and imagery, and the various mental constructs we encounter are much, much stronger than they should be. (Our ST did a good job of rolling this out, though: we were still stronger, but there was a strong sense of 'this shouldn't be this difficult' over the one fight we got into.)

So we assume that she's a Mage, or will be a Mage at some point in time. Well, Mages go crazy and need a mental cleanup crew, so we do the job: eliminating a particularly nasty mental construct. We realize fairly quickly that a straight-up attack is going to be beyond us; if a relatively minor subconscious defender (or so our Acanthus, the only member of the group with Mind magic, assured us) gave us so much trouble, a fully-fledged mental construct was going to be beyond us. So we found out that the other mental constructs liked the Atlantean imagery; while they didn't tell us in so many words, the magical glyphs were empowering them. What made Lisa so disruptive is that she was basically trying to erase them - effectively, the client had her own internal Banisher, trying to get rid of her power.

We figured out from this that 'Lisa' was this mage's desire for normalcy and self-doubt all wrapped up in one destructive package. So we lured 'Lisa' out, and convinced her that we were going to help her get rid of the Atlantean writing. It took a lot of talking by the Thyrsus, but she finally agreed to step into a 'portal' that we claimed was going to lead her to the source of the writing. It led her to where the Acanthus and I had drawn pretty much every subconscious defender we could find. Recognizing that Lisa was a greater threat to their continued existence than we were, they proceeded to destroy her while we slipped out of their mindspace.

When we returned to the room where the incense was burning, feeling pretty good about helping a fellow Mage overcome their self-doubt, our employer's assistant (not Awakened, just a Sleeper he kept around for appearances) called up to him that he had a regular inbound. He left, but he'd left his wallet sitting out on the table. My character, being the type of mob crony who has a 'code' that he pretends makes him better than other cronies, picks it up to take it to him - but, being a Mage, he still has the good sense to look inside. Might as well get any info he can on this employer, right?

The name on the driver's license is Lisa. And the face, while less heavily-made up, is undoubtedly the face of our employer - and while less idealized than the face of 'Lisa', is similar enough to make us all jump to the obvious conclusion.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The start of this session was interesting. The Automaton finally got bored of the city and decided to leave. The player had actually been playing a Kender with a ring that disguised him (mostly so the party didn't make assumptions, although I was the only one who knew about Kender and honestly wouldn't have picked it up, not being that familiar with Dragonlance) and so he brought in his Elf. He had a similar skill set to the Automaton, but was less impulsive and contributed more to combat. The Automaton left by saying goodbye to the Wizard who'd given him the cover story, and then went and found my character specifically because I'd taken him at face value and treated him mostly like a kid. I got given the Skink Avatar as a parting gift which was both very humourous and touching. I proceeded to have a theological discussion with the avatar of a goddess arguing that she didn't exist. Which is always a fun thing to do!

The Elves had a new ambassador in the city and decided to hold a party to celebrate. The Dwarfs had a new ambassador as well and sent him along to represent them. As the other two players were nobility of various forms of standing they were invited as well. My character, however, was more than a little surprised when he got an invitation addressed to the catpeople ambassador. After double checking that yes, it was him, he shrugged and went to the party with the rest of the group. The Elven Ambassador managed to be an hour late to the party, half an hour later than the Archmagister much to his consternation and somehow managed to force the poor man into not only being his personal attendant, but also the butt of his jokes. All of us kind of just went blank when he spoke, because he managed to make such perfect sense that none of us knew what the gently caress he was talking about. Still the evening was pretty dull until the Elf started dancing, and asked my character to dance. Essentially we had a bit of banter and then challenged each other to a dance off. This ended up being somewhat impressive given we both rolled about a 30 for Acrobatics and were dancing on the strings holding up lanterns at some point. Then just as we were bowing and lapping up the applause, the Archmagister decided to fly into the air and become a pin cushion. Or rather a dagger cushion and there were a lot of daggers. Apparently the Elves were displeased that the Mages were more smug and arrogant than they were and decided to bring them back into line (Elves taught humans magic).

So after asking the catpeople Assassins if they were responsible (who were competent enough to avoid being noticed even here, despite not having magic) we figured out it was the Elf. So we congratulated him on offing the Smugmancer and went home. Unfortunately for the party, Smugmancer's replacement was someone even more smug and who was an even greater dick. He decided to have a private dinner with us as he threatened us (I never got why all these powerful NPCs just postured when they could easily just baleful polymorph us or something) and then we went finally asked the dwarf about plot. He had been tracking an heirloom of a family that was stolen and we agreed to help him find it. This lead to us infiltrating a house, killing some bandits and then lead to a hilarious scene of my tiger form avoiding as much water in the sewers as possible. Not to mention the dwarf nearly falling in, which would be bad given his platemail. None of us wanted to swim, let alone drown in that stuff. :colbert:

We got led to a dead end and the Wizard Mafia informed us that they had the item and that we'd have to chase them down to get it. We fought a Minotaur (which traded critical blows with my character, I either killed stuff quickly or nearly died by round 2) and then got home and had a shower. I decided to go find out why I was made an Ambassador and crazy old catlady led me to another catlady who was a prophet of Luna. We had a discussion and a competition at being the more sassy (she won much to my shame) which was basically I was destined to lead all the catpeople out of the city and back home, like some kind of horrible lycanthropic Moses. The Warlock and I met up with the Elf who made some vague illusions to dealing with the Warlock if stuff got out of hand, but we mentioned I was helping him with control and so he got off the hook. Later on though at home he was talking to his grandpa and taunted him to make him more powerful, which his 'grandpa' did by turning him into a lesser Balor effectively. Not being human and believing demons looked like Rakshasa I just yelled at him to calm down and got him back to mostly being human. There was a nasty carpet burn.

Then we did some sniffing around for clues for the heirloom which landed up with the party in the "Prismatic Bar", and half of the party drunk. As you might be able to guess, the special gimmick of the bar was that you ordered colours instead of flavours. Some of the party got the house special which was prismatic, and gave you a heck of a hangover. As well as some 'alterations' that lingered for about half a day or so that were very interesting...

Next session was the finale, where the Warlock manages to ruin the world all on his own at level 5!

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

quote:

As well as some 'alterations' that lingered for about half a day or so that were very interesting...

You can't say this and not elaborate. I'm pretty sure it's against the forum rules or something.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I was playing Psychonauts earlier, and it reminded me of a really awesome Mage campaign I was in.

The basic premise was Psychonauts: Mage Edition. Our group is employed by an Awakened fortuneteller to help exorcise the inner demons of various individuals. We're assured that there will be a reliable artifact to get us in and out of the various levels of the Astral, and that non-Mind magic will work more or less as normal in the various minds we enter. This was, the ST later admitted, just so we didn't all build Mastigos. There's me, playing an Obrimos made man who's in this for the money; an Acanthus who literally believes that if he plans things out in advance, his Fate magic will fail, played by a guy who can take a character concept that sounds like That Guy's character, then make it work and actually complement the party setup; and a Thyrsus, played by a doctor friend of ours who always plays the sneaky-type characters.

Hah, that sounds absolutely brilliant. For what it's worth, your ST wasn't houseruling anything; it's canon that non-Mind magic works exactly the same in the Astral, doing whatever it looks like it ought to do in the dreamscape. I've always wanted to use the Astral more in my campaign; so far they've just had to dig down into one of the character's psyche to rip out an astral parasite that was feeding information on the group back to the Seer of the Eye, eventually ending up with them fighting a biological CCTV camera with wire tentacles in the bowels of a 1984-style prison. Good times :D

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

This... Sounds cool, but... I don't think I quite understand what happened in this story.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
While I don't understand how the "suppressing her magic" thing fits into it, basically the employer was Lisa, made up to look like a flamboyant dude. That's why he mentioned early on that the guy had no facial hair. She couldn't grow it.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Captain Bravo posted:

While I don't understand how the "suppressing her magic" thing fits into it, basically the employer was Lisa, made up to look like a flamboyant dude. That's why he mentioned early on that the guy had no facial hair. She couldn't grow it.

That came up a bit later in the campaign. We fixed some more problems, played it straight for a while - but with 'Lisa' gone, our employer became increasingly erratic.

Ooops. Turns out that when you're a reality-bending wizard, a little self-doubt is actually a really good thing. At least, that was our initial thought. So, we broke into the shop one evening, using my character's mob connections to get his hands on a guy who could break us in through the mundane security. Between the Acanthus and my guy, we managed to get through the wards without (as far as we knew) tripping any of the more supernatural security measures. We get the incense - we've seen where he keeps it - and as we start burning it, the Acanthus casts a spell to guide us into the proper mind.

It's completely different. The mental constructs we knew are gone, the Atlantean writing is everywhere, and the architecture of the buildings (representing the basic structure of the mind) is completely inhuman. We do some investigating, and it turns out we were completely wrong about our employer: he's not Lisa.

He's some kind of Atlantean relic: a psychic weapon, designed to possess anyone who meets certain parameters and neutralize them. Thing is, Lisa was a Mage who met those parameters: as far as we could tell, she was descended from an Atlantean mage-king who was an enemy of our employer's creator. When she Awakened, he was activated and sought her out via the Astral. But he had a harder time of it than he remembered. After all, the last time he had been active, the Abyss hadn't existed, and magic was much, much simpler to use. So he employed a cabal of stooges to dive in and help him out - and then to help him weaken the minds of other potential targets, so he could strike at them if and when they Awakened.

At this point, we're freaking out, and then our employer himself appears. This is the first time we've seen him in an Astral form, and it's obvious immediately that he's not human. He appears to be a human figure composed entirely of Atlantean characters, and we can feel him preparing to cast some kind of spell at us - so we book it back out to the larger Astral spaces, then back to our own minds, where we promptly wake up and run out of the store as fast as we can.

And that's where that session ended.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Well just did an online game with our group, trying the FUDGE system for the first time. It went well :)

The setting was in the Valley Of The Kings, the players were to explore a recently discovered tomb. The characters were from a wide variety of backgrounds:

* Jack Churchill
* Samuel L Jackson
* President Barack Obama
* Rasputin
* Kirby

The players headed inside and explored the area, Kirby acted as an air filter and cleared out the dust, allowing the other characters to breathe easier. Inside the tomb were lavish goods (Which the players would just not take!), and coffins. In the back of the tomb they found the pharoah Rameses the 8th who had risen from the grave. To fight off the mummy horde, Samuel L Jackson shouted them down (Killing four of them in the process), Kirby turned into a bowling ball and Jack Churchill rolled Kirby into the horde whilst hacking at Rameses. Rasputin was manipulating the bone structure of the mummies and Obama managed to convince the mummy horde to join the side of American Democracy. Jackson then punched Rameses square in the face, killing him.

Outside the tomb, a load of cars were driving towards the players, but with ill intent..to be continued in our next session.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Fiasco on Friday, and just bought it off Amazon.

We played Action News 6, the story of low level backbiting in a backwater news outlet. Action News 6 competed against the extremely popular Action News 11. 11 was in first place; 6 was in last.

Fiasco is different from other games in that it's GM-less, yet dice based; everyone gets two dice, rolls them, and these generate play.

We had four players, and generated these relationships:

Us Vs. Them, Work Rivals (plus "need to be famous: own segment"), Cokehead/Supplier (which involved "wants to sleep with local celeb or politician), Restraining Order and False Family.

Our objects were A bag of peanuts, a well known peanut allergy, and no warning label and a supply of the anchor's cocaine.

I played Kara Lord, pantsuit wearing superjourno who was chronically under-appreciated. To my left was Steph Rynkowski (who had what we decided was a mutual restraining order). To her left was Preston Phelps III, the anchor of 11, and 2nd cousin of Lenny Lars, who supplied coke to discredit Brent Stockman, who was rivals with Kara Lord.

Through the course of play, it evolved that Preston was trying to take down station 6 by getting Brent caught in a coke sting. Lenny, the worst coke dealer ever (and far out of his league), ended up trying to get Brent to pay him for the coke...which Brent simply wouldn't do.

Brent, who had Need: to sleep with a local celebrity, was on the hunt for Mayor Laura Drake. He decided to resolve (instead of set up) the scene, so the group decided he was at a press conference over the new stadium:
LAURA DRAKE: Do you have one more question for me, Brent?
He and the mayor snuck off to visit one of the stadium's new luxury boxes...where Preston was already sleeping with a floozy.

We cut to Kara Lord that afternoon, on the scene of a mysterious arson (with possible ties to the land developer behind the stadium). Brent tried to cut back to the studio early, but I had chosen to resolve, so I decided Kara got some good footage and made Brent look foolish.

Steph's player wanted to explore Kara and Steph's relationship. We went to the news station later that afternoon, and Kara and Steph got into a fight. The station manager decided things Steph's way; "you two aren't even supposed to talk to each other."

Preston decided to resolve, so I asked: where was the coke supplier getting his coke from? The group decided that it should tie into the stadium, and the star player...drug runner Hector Lopez. Lopez wants his money by tomorrow, or else. Meanwhile, police are bugging the stadium...

Lenny's turn. He had the location Sleezy hotel with hidden camera, so he decided he was ambushing and trying to sting Stockman. Unfortunately, Stockman was a brassy dude; he intimidated Lenny into not having to pay. With no footage of a drug deal (because Lenny didn't have drugs, and Brent didn't have money), things were looking bad...
To make things worse, housekeeping came in, telling Lenny they had the extension cord he asked for. Brent made it clear Lenny shouldn't waste his time. [The entire game, Lenny was getting black dice, which meant scenes didn't resolve in his favor.]

Brent, aware that the coke was missing and Lenny was on to him, decided to ask Steph if she knew anything about "a small box...I kept in my desk...locked...on the bottom shelf. Behind...well, don't worry what it's behind." Steph noticed Brent had a little sniff-sniff next to his nose, and tried to implicate Kara.
BRENT: Can you talk to her?
STEPH: I can't. I have paperwork that says I can't.
Brent hasn't found his stuff, and Steph found out he's a cokehead.

Flashback! It's the 2011 local news awards. Kara, despite working her rear end off, is at a table, clapping as Channel 11 sweeps and begins its ascendance. Kara, urged on by her coworkers, gets roaringly drunk, and gets on the microphone to tear apart her coworkers and channel 11.

Cut to the present...Kara sits in the channel 11 waiting room, waiting for a job interview. Her arson package has let her complete her reel, and she wants to get with a winner.
Steph walks in, and begins to tell the secretary Kara is a violent threat, and not to call security yet...but to prepare to. Steph moves ahead in the interview process, while Kara lags.

Preston is at the sleezy hotel with Lenny; the one day deadline has passed. The Colombian gangsters have slashed Preston's tires.
PRESTON: I need you to get the money.
LENNY: I asked him, and he said no.
Preston gives Lenny a gun. Lenny hides the fact he doesn't know how to use it.

This brings us to THE TILT! Whoever's doing worst (most black dice) and best (most white dice) get to determine exactly how things start unraveling.
We choose MAYHEM: A FLAMING MESS and FAILURE: An Idiotic Plan done to Perfection.

Lenny is on his way to talk to Brent in Brent's office...when he runs into Kara, holding a very familiar box. Kara decides to blackmail Brent, with Lenny's help. Unfortunately, it goes badly for Lenny...his gun goes off accidentally, summoning
security. Lenny gets away, but the coke is confiscated, and he's in Kara's pocket.

We hadn't visited the "Need: To get Laid by the mayor" lately, so we decided Brent and the mayor met in another room of the sleezy motel. The mayor needs money for reelection, especially after the stadium cost so much political capital. Brent knows who has coke...Preston! He appeals to Preston's nostalgia (when they both worked at Channel 7 in the 80's). Preston agrees to throw a big ol' fashioned coke bash.

I made the mistake of choosing to determine the ending instead of setting the scene, so the group decided Kara was getting great footage the hard way.
By convincing Lenny to set fires, then immediately reporting on them.

Preston and Steph, now nearly hired, meet at the stadium. He agrees to give her a job at 11 if she can get footage of Brent doing coke. Steph has a peanut allergy; Preston has been eating them. He lies about it, of course. They kiss...and she misses the party as she goes into encephalitic shock.

The mayor's coke fundraiser is a huge hit! Brent Stockman steals the mayor's checkbook to fund his coke habit, and Preston gets what he wants - he finally has what he wants - the Columbian's money.

Lenny missed the party, though, since Preston didn't want to invite him. He shakes down Brent in the latter's office, and Brent STILL refuses to pay! Lenny, enraged, attacks Brent with one of Brent's own awards. He knocks Brent unconscious ten minutes before the newscast, and is about to strike him again when the station manager bursts in...

Brent and the mayor meet at the hospital...where they finally have sex.

Kara tries to burn down station 11.

Preston tries to blackmail Brent with one final deal. It goes well, until Hector shows up, and starts beating up Preston. Preston pays up, and escapes...
as the police swarm the building. The jig is up.

AFTERMATH:
Lenny escapes the city, taking a bus ticket and never returning:
Brent, who rolled really well, ended up going into rehab, and winning an award for his personal report on addiction
Kara, who rolled really poorly, ended up losing at the next award show, and going home to find her apartment building burnt down by the arsonist she never caught;
Steph ended up getting a job at 11;
Preston went to jail, but sold out Hector, and eventually ended up reporting live...at station 6.

---
Personally, I found "restraining order" to be a really limiting relationship, even the way we played it; there are only so many scenes you can do with it, before ignoring it or evolving it into FORMER restraining order or restraining order being ignored. Still, Fiasco was an amazing, amazing game, and I look forward to playing some more.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Over in the Shadowrun thread I've been doing a weekly recap of my ongoing and awesome Shadowrun game, and I figured I'd move it over here since it seems like it belongs.

Previous Recap #1
Previous Recap #2

Team Currently

:gay:Proxy: Proxy is my character. Proxy is of undefinable gender (I routinely switch pronouns and won't tell anyone his/her birth gender, etc), and is a social infiltrator/Face type of character. She's also a technomancer -- a hacker that connects to the Matrix without using equipment, only their brain -- but cannot hack herself, instead relying on digital sprites to do her bidding.

:clint:Humphrey Trollgart: A.K.A., gently caress you, I don't need no goddamn street name. Trollgart's a gigantic troll private eye with a slight hint of Magic (Magic stat is 1, haha). He's incredibly perceptive, but about as social as a nice slimy poo poo in a penny loafer. He's a pretty good driver and shot in a pinch, though.

:science:Mammoth: Mammoth is a tribal pygmy from the Congo. He's been a runner for longer than most of the team, but was recently Hung Out to Dry, meaning he has no contacts for some reason. He's wanted by a lot of people in Africa. He's a combat mage with an emphasis on thunder/lightning and healing, following the paths of a few of the pygmy gods.

:ninja:Traceur: Traceur is a Mystic Adept, meaning that he's both a mage and an adept. He's a French parkour superstar graffiti artist with a penchant for savate and inappropriate witticisms. He's also our physical infiltrator.

:engleft:Droid: The team's resident vehicle and drone rigger. Droid unfortunately couldn't make it to this week's game due to repairing his parent's house from the massive rains from a few days before.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Our DM is interspersing poo poo he makes up with adventures published by Catalyst (to give him a break from creating, he says). Basically, that means that this has a SHITLOAD of spoilers for the Dawn of the Artifacts campaign until we're out of this book.

I'm slightly (like, ten minutes) late to the game and am told that they started without me, saying that Proxy was in the bathroom. No biggie. Basically, they got the poo poo handled about talking to the money lender. The money lender says the best place to check for Samriel, the man we seek, is down at the technological part of town. We head there, minus Droid (who can't attend this week, and is handwaved as being fixing something) and Mammoth, who leaves to buy magical poo poo.

Mammoth goes to a talismonger with our friendly overpowered NPC Jane and ends up running into local gangers from the Area Boyz. The Boyz tell him if he wants to stay in their turf, he owes them 1000 Naira (the eqvilent of about 50 bucks). He tells them to gently caress off, and one of them slaps him and says, "1000!" Mammoth tells Jane he'll handle this (note, Mammoth is like 4'3"), steps up to the guy and says, "My boss," pointing to Jane, "has authorized me to give you $750." He hands it over, and considers it done.

The Boyz do not.

The lead Boy takes a swing at Mammoth and connects solidly. Mammoth at this point is pissed and decides he's had enough a mumbles out a quick Improved Reflexes on himself, allowing him to go multiple times in a round. The Boyz, being low level gangers, don't have anything that gives them this. He then lightning bolts one, blinds his friend, and threatens a third. Then he zaps them, too. Do not gently caress with the combat mage. He took them all out in a round. Mammoth's player is having a little trouble roleplaying the dude, so it was cool to see him do that a bit before the GM pushed all the character's buttons.

Meanwhile, we go to the techno bar and find out the elf was in fact there a few days ago, Proxy already knew this. He said he was going to an action at The Ohni's mansion. The Ohni is basically the king of Nigeria, and lives in a place called Yoruba Palace. We go back to the money changer and see about getting into the palace ourselves. It appears the artifact we're after might be sold at this auction, and the Ohni is having private viewings to up the interest in his collection. We buy a pass to the viewings, and then buy some clothes to fit in amongst the classy and a few other things too, in case we decide to steal it, like auto lock picks, monomolecular chainsaws, etc.

We also find out that Samriel is a member of a group called the Mystic Crusaders, a handful of fanatics that work for the Atlantean Corporation and are convinced they raise Atlantis from the depths. The Crusaders have an African outpost about 200 kliks from the palace. So Proxy buys two drones with some stealth software and hugely upgraded sensors; one she sends to watch the Crusaders HQ, the other she sends to watch the palace. Proxy also takes a fuckload of damage when she mentally creates a sprite that's far more powerful than her and orders it to stealthily hack the palace compound. She eventually gets full administrator rights, but the palace's Matrix security doesn't even know she's there.

Now that we have access, we check out important stuff. Guard rotation, guard backgrounds, list of guests (not complete yet), list of auction items, security procedures, etc. Items sounds good, so we check that out, and in doing so, find out that one of the items is the Pyraeus map. Jane loses her poo poo and calls her boss, who changes her mission from 'Find the sextant' to 'acquire that map no matter what'. She offers us 10 percent of the million NuYen the map's worth and I bargain us up to 15%. Yey. If we get it for her, we get 150k.

We head out to the palace and are treated like kings upon arriving. Also arriving is an Azteknology helicopter, but we can't tell who is inside. We walk around a bit, have a lunch made of delicious REAL FOOD before being shown the items. The palace itself drains anyone's Magic within it by 3. This means nothing to Proxy. But the vault compeltely negates any sort of Matrix communication. Proxy is suddenly without the Matrix for the first time since her emergence, and her Severe Matrix Addicition kicks me in the dick. She bolts to her guest room and stays there, shivering.

Trollgart, Traceur, and Mammoth examine the map and find that it also exists on an astral level to a ridiculous degree. Bonus! They tell me Samriel is actually inside the Vault, calmly examining the map with some red-haired elven woman. She's likely a Mystic Crusader as well, but we can't find anything out about her. They don't confront him, talk to him, anything.

Everyone comes back to the guest suite and we start going over plans. We don't want to steal the map. We're actually going to try to buy it (with Jane's mentor's money), but we know someone else might try to steal it. Proxy uses another sprite to go in the backdoor she made and get access to the Vault's video camera's. Trollgart and Traceur figure out the best time to rob the place is between 11:30 and Midnight, since that's the changing of the guard. So that's when we all watch, and so we see him!

An ork in camo gear appears on the screen for a second or two, grabs the two foot tall idol made of solid gold on the auction block next to the map, and then heads out. I try to follow him with the cameras, but I lose him. The guards search the palace, but we're basically told they'll be moving the items and that if we want to get into the actual auction, we'll have to bring the idol back to the Ohni.

We go back to our lovely hotel in town and talk to our floor's guard, who tells us the best way to find this ork we're looking for is to speak to the Hippo downtown. In thanks, we order a few assault cannons for him from the black market, and we call get a contact in exchange! Hooray for contacts. Anyhow, we go to meet the Hippo.

The Hippo is a massive black man, about six hundred pounds, with four flat canines and little else in his overly large mouth. Trollgart watches the bar while Proxy and Mammoth talk to him. Traceur sets up some of his art outside to sell and to watch the door. He tells us he knows the ork, and he would tell us who he is and where he is for a price. The price? We must deliver something across town. Proxy says they have a man that could get it done in half an hour, and the Hippo says she's bluffing. "Want to put money on it?" says Mammoth. Proxy grabs a sheet with the address from the Hippo and walks to the door, opens it, and holds the package out to Traceur. "Our contact wants this package delivered within half an hour. Go." And Traceur's off!

Lemme explain Lagos. It's a gently caress-off huge city in Africa with a population (in this time, in Shadowrun) of about 20 million. Everyone is poor, too, so everyone walks. The streets are constantly packed, people are forced to mill about slowly, etc.

Traceur, being a parkour superstar, climbs to the roof and starts roof running. Proxy patches into his GPS and his cybergoggles to give the bar a view of what's going on as he starts running and jumping his way towards the goal. Mammoth and Trollgart and Proxy all start taking bets from everyone. Some random Area Boy shoots Traceur, and for his trouble gets bombed with a grenade of nanopaint, and is now covered in neon pink dancing cats. Traceur is kind of loving awesome, I realize. He even stops mid-trip to tag the top of a van before bouncing off again, skimmer-skates allowing him to do crazy Jet Set Radio type of moves.

Satisfied, Hippo tells us that Silence frequents a brothel called the Three Friends a few miles away. We tell Traceur to meet up with us and head out. The Three Friends is a shithole, two-story affair that looks to be on the verge of collapsing. Traceur tells Proxy he's going to go watch the second floor windows and Mammoth speeds him up with Improved Reflexes in case the guy gives Traceur a run for it. Then Trollgart, Proxy, and Mammoth enter and a greeted by a tiny hooker, about age 12. Ugh. gently caress Lagos.

Proxy talks to the hooker (Named Sunlight or Sunshine or something) and asks if Silence is there. The girl doesn't know. We show her the picture and she says yeah, that guy is upstairs. I slip her 50 Naira and tell her to go wait somewhere else, and the three of us climb the stairs. Unfortunately, Trollgart is a goddamn troll, so the stairs creek. We get up to the door and try to listen to see if we can hear anyone, but we don't. Outside, Traceur peeks into the window and says that the ork is waiting on the right side of the door with a gun in his hand.

:gay: "Hey, guy, waiting next to the door. Are you Silence?"
:cry: "I... err... nope." *critical glitch on Con attempt*
:clint: whispers to Proxy, "Should I stab through the wall?"
:gay: "Yeah, but go low."

So Trollgart puts the big monomolecular sword he just bought through the wall at kneecap level and lances the guy's leg. The guy screams and bolts, right out the window, where Traceur's waiting for him. Traceur hits him with another nanoink grenade, blinding his rear end and covering him with dancing pink cats. Unfortunately, Silence knows the area really, really well, even blind, and gives Traceur an awesome chase before eventually flubbing an Acrobatics check and nosediving into the river. Traceur zaps the poo poo out of him and we take Silence alive.

It was a really fun night. Traceur and I probably got to shine more than anyone, but that's what seems like is going to happen with face-work and on foot chases, so no biggie. Hopefully once we get into a bit more investigative stuff, Trollgart will be able to shine a bit more, and combat with Mammoths and driving with Droid. Mammoth's player seemed to finally be really getting into the character and the system, so that was really balls-out awesome. The amount of power he can dish out is ridiculous. I like it a lot when everyone shines.

Today I learned:
You actually have to resist TWICE the number of hits sprites get, not just the hits. This beat the poo poo out of me in the game. I had to resist 8 points of physical damage from the sprite I overclocked.

Sometimes adepts don't need to be punchy. Had no idea. Silence is an adept pretty much built just for sneaking into places, and he's drat good at it. If Traceur hadn't hit him with that paint, we all would've been hosed if he'd decided to hunt us.

Sometimes "I shoot it" is seriously the most boring tactic. Traceur has that poo poo down.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Swags posted:

french parkour superstar crossing cramped african city

This just sounds like it would be fantastic to see in real life. Some kind of Mirror's Edge meets deus ex type of deal

sansuki
May 17, 2003

mmj posted:

This just sounds like it would be fantastic to see in real life. Some kind of Mirror's Edge meets deus ex type of deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJubOZLpp4A This is kinda close.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just need to say, I got linked to this thread by a friend. I don't tabletop game at all, but this is just completely full of amazingly awesome stories. Thank you all for sharing.

DCB, you are a god, please tell us more about your world, I need my fix :(

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I am still super wired from the game session I finished playing in a few hours ago. It was supposed to be the final session of the campaign, but things went wrong in the best possible way.

I've posted about the game a couple of times before in this thread: the PCs are inhabitants of a province occupied by an invading empire, which has reasons to want all of us, jointly and severally, dead. We've slowly grown from desperate refugees into elite combatants waging a guerrilla war, and we've got a battle-hardened group of NPC bandits following us around thanks to working with them on some successful attacks against the empire's patrols and supply lines and one PC defeating their former leader in a duel.

Just as it finally looks like we might be able to find an escape route from the occupied territory, we're surrounded and badly outnumbered by an imperial patrol. Accompanying them is a former PC who retired from the party a while ago over ethical disagreements with the rest of the group. (The GM got the player's permission to use him, of course.)

The former PC offers us a deal: if we turn ourselves in and let the soldiers escort us to the empire's local centre of power to meet with the general overseeing the invasion, we'll receive amnesty for all our crimes. They give us a little time to think about the offer and discuss it among ourselves, but keep watch on us from a distance. On one hand, it's an obvious trap; on the other, it's pretty clear that they won't take no for an answer.

Our first idea is to stall for time until we can find a way to escape as we originally intended. Then, the PC who's the bandit leader comes up with a "better" plan: why run when we can fight? We should walk right into their trap with eyes wide open, get as close as we can to the imperial general while holding on to our weapons, and then figure out some way to get out alive after assassinating him. The rest of us, preferring survival over a glorious death, insist on having a more well-fleshed-out strategy if we're going to do this.

We consider our resources: a small group of bandits, a couple of wagons and boats full of various supplies and... ooh, about a hundred stolen imperial military uniforms. A plan begins to form.

Before accepting the empire's offer, we ask a couple of our bandits to sneak away while the soldiers are busy dealing with us. Their job is to take the supplies and uniforms to a fellow resistance group, and ask them to mount an attack on the fort we're being led to while dressed in the uniforms. We don't know if they'll come through for us -- we've jerked them around a bit before by changing plans at the last minute -- but they're the only allies who might be able and willing to help us.

Meanwhile, as the soldiers take us toward the fort, one of our spellcasters works subtle mental magic to influence their captain while the rest of us chat to the tired, demoralised conscripts, telling them our side of the story and hoping they'll see the justice of our cause. The plan is that once we get to the fort, our escorts will let us right in there with our weapons still on us and then join us in assaulting it from within. Then, to further add to the confusion, our reinforcements from the resistance group will show up in their imperial uniforms and charge the fort. By creating the impression of a large, organised rebellion against the empire by its own army, we hope to bring about that rebellion in reality -- or at least produce enough chaos to give us a chance of survival.

In short, we're planning an insanely ambitious false-flag attack on a target way out of our league with backup that may never arrive. If even a single part of our plan goes wrong, chances are we're all going to die. And it's going to be awesome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Slung Blade posted:

I just need to say, I got linked to this thread by a friend. I don't tabletop game at all, but this is just completely full of amazingly awesome stories. Thank you all for sharing.

DCB, you are a god, please tell us more about your world, I need my fix :(

Alas, the game that was going to be this Saturday has been pushed back for an indeterminate length of time - the GM doesn't want to run without everyone there as, in his words, there is a Reveal.

(keeping my fingers crossed for Emperor Skywalker)

P.s. Thuyrl that sounds awesome and I look forward to hearing how it turns out! Audacious, crafty plans make the best stories.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 15, 2012

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I've got a new and memorable list of experiences, both from DMing and from playing. I suppose, if I'm going to start sharing anywhere, it should be from DMing.

My local group has started Mutants and Masterminds. I had the books, everyone likes superheroes, seemed a natural combination. However, this was also the group who solved the union dispute with crucifixion so I expected odd things.

So here's the player roster:

-The Imperturbable Phil, a giant, tomato-red man who gained super strength and resilience after a freak ketchup-related accident. His most useful skill is being able to be used as a projectile.

-Kyle, the psychic hobo. He frequently wakes up in places he does not recognize with a washing machine on his head. He's a bit off-kilter but he can crush armoured vehicles with his mighty hobo brain and his tinfoil hat picks up NPR, so he's worth keeping around.

-Shandri, a cat who was exposed to radioactive chemicals, and is now able to turn into a person. She's gained human-level intelligence and has cat-related superpowers, but she's still incredibly naive about human experience. As such, she's a bit of a derp.

The setting is Chicago, circa 2034. The city has grown so much that it now extends to the eastern seaboard. Technology has advanced greatly but not nearly so much as people might think. Overpopulation and increased access to luxuries has left those with wealth utterly apathetic, those in authority complacent, and those without access to either utterly dispossessed.

This is why, when a group of borderline-functional heroes decide to register with the police department of metahuman tactics, they are directed to Officer Radnar, a robot police officer, literally welded to his desk, whose only programmed emotions are bitterness and sarcasm. Stuck dealing with the D-list of metahumans in the city, he gives them a quick and simple case to deal with.

They are tasked with finding the Muffin Man.

The entire session starts out with them, having spent some time developing backstories and character quirks and undergoing a psych test (I wrote out a questionnaire and had them all take it to determine what sort of tone to use for this), running around the city and asking random strangers "Do you know the Muffin Man?"

Eventually, using Shandri's unusually capable nose, they sniffed out the Muffin Man. The Muffin Man is a former pastry chef, now driven mad by a kind of schizophrenia that developed after an underused section of his brain overdeveloped, simultaneously granting him the power to animate pastry. He is hiding in an abandoned warehouse in the bakery district, now empty and largely forgotten after the Great Bakery Collapse of 2029 (known colloquially as Golden-Brown Tuesday). He and his assistants, Yeast, Dough, and Crust, are making large amounts of dough and pouring it into an immense casting mold, while his animated doughboys patrol the perimeter.

Phil, taking the lead, rends down the door to the building, dives at the Muffin Man, and tackles him, putting him in a chokehold. Kyle, following suit, levitates all the doughboys in the room to keep them from attacking. Shandri turns into a cat. She does cat things.

Before he passes out, the Muffin Man makes a cryptic remark, touches the casting mold, and awakens what is inside. It instantly cooks to perfection. The air is filled with tense fear and the delicious smell of rising pastry. Airy, baked to perfection, and filled with unimaginable menace, the beast emerges from the mold: A Breadnought.

Enraged to see Phil tackling its creator, the Breadnought sprays butter everywhere in rage, then smacks Phil like a hockey puck across the room. Shandri finally decides it's time to go and do something. She looks for a water main to cut open and soak the creature, weakening it. Sadly, she can't distinguish between gas and water pipes and soon the room is flooding with gas. She proceeds to trot to the bar next door to retrieve a matchbook.

Kyle, seeing an opportunity, lifts Phil with his mind, then hurls him as a projectile back at the Breadnought. The two start hugging each other in an attempt to crush one another. Shandri returns with the matchbook. She leaps to the Muffin Man's unconscious body (they were asked to bring him in alive), throws the matchbook to Phil, then jumps out again. She and Kyle flee as Phil lights a match and turns the entire factory into one enormous, buttery-scented conflagration and launches himself into the sky.

As it turns out, the Breadnought is stronger than thought. It emerges, on fire but "alive". Kyle, floating nearby, decides the best course of action is to just throw a nearby storage shed at it. The Breadnought is squished, though someone's treasured baby clothes are sacrificed to end the threat.

And that was their first adventure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It sounds like you were running The Tick: the game. Which is completely wonderful.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Axelgear posted:

GREATEST GAME EVER

This right here is my Holy Grail of gaming. I don't think I'll ever attain it. It being ever so slightly out of reach at all times.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

That Breadnought is toast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Axelgear posted:

Airy, baked to perfection, and filled with unimaginable menace, the beast emerges from the mold: A Breadnought.

I lost it right here. Your game rules.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You know how when something really amazing happens to someone else, and it doesn't affect you in any way, and you should be happy for them, but for some reason it only makes you angry and bitter?

Yeah. :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

That is amazing. I was concerned about the cat character making this a worst experience, but it turned out to be the best experience.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

It sounds like you were running The Tick: the game. Which is completely wonderful.

"Golden-Brown Tuesday" is a stroke of genius.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Axelgear posted:

I've got a new and memorable list of experiences, both from DMing and from playing. I suppose, if I'm going to start sharing anywhere, it should be from DMing.

My local group has started Mutants and Masterminds. I had the books, everyone likes superheroes, seemed a natural combination. However, this was also the group who solved the union dispute with crucifixion so I expected odd things.

So here's the player roster:

-The Imperturbable Phil, a giant, tomato-red man who gained super strength and resilience after a freak ketchup-related accident. His most useful skill is being able to be used as a projectile.

-Kyle, the psychic hobo. He frequently wakes up in places he does not recognize with a washing machine on his head. He's a bit off-kilter but he can crush armoured vehicles with his mighty hobo brain and his tinfoil hat picks up NPR, so he's worth keeping around.

-Shandri, a cat who was exposed to radioactive chemicals, and is now able to turn into a person. She's gained human-level intelligence and has cat-related superpowers, but she's still incredibly naive about human experience. As such, she's a bit of a derp.

The setting is Chicago, circa 2034. The city has grown so much that it now extends to the eastern seaboard. Technology has advanced greatly but not nearly so much as people might think. Overpopulation and increased access to luxuries has left those with wealth utterly apathetic, those in authority complacent, and those without access to either utterly dispossessed.

This is why, when a group of borderline-functional heroes decide to register with the police department of metahuman tactics, they are directed to Officer Radnar, a robot police officer, literally welded to his desk, whose only programmed emotions are bitterness and sarcasm. Stuck dealing with the D-list of metahumans in the city, he gives them a quick and simple case to deal with.

They are tasked with finding the Muffin Man.

The entire session starts out with them, having spent some time developing backstories and character quirks and undergoing a psych test (I wrote out a questionnaire and had them all take it to determine what sort of tone to use for this), running around the city and asking random strangers "Do you know the Muffin Man?"

Eventually, using Shandri's unusually capable nose, they sniffed out the Muffin Man. The Muffin Man is a former pastry chef, now driven mad by a kind of schizophrenia that developed after an underused section of his brain overdeveloped, simultaneously granting him the power to animate pastry. He is hiding in an abandoned warehouse in the bakery district, now empty and largely forgotten after the Great Bakery Collapse of 2029 (known colloquially as Golden-Brown Tuesday). He and his assistants, Yeast, Dough, and Crust, are making large amounts of dough and pouring it into an immense casting mold, while his animated doughboys patrol the perimeter.

Phil, taking the lead, rends down the door to the building, dives at the Muffin Man, and tackles him, putting him in a chokehold. Kyle, following suit, levitates all the doughboys in the room to keep them from attacking. Shandri turns into a cat. She does cat things.

Before he passes out, the Muffin Man makes a cryptic remark, touches the casting mold, and awakens what is inside. It instantly cooks to perfection. The air is filled with tense fear and the delicious smell of rising pastry. Airy, baked to perfection, and filled with unimaginable menace, the beast emerges from the mold: A Breadnought.

Enraged to see Phil tackling its creator, the Breadnought sprays butter everywhere in rage, then smacks Phil like a hockey puck across the room. Shandri finally decides it's time to go and do something. She looks for a water main to cut open and soak the creature, weakening it. Sadly, she can't distinguish between gas and water pipes and soon the room is flooding with gas. She proceeds to trot to the bar next door to retrieve a matchbook.

Kyle, seeing an opportunity, lifts Phil with his mind, then hurls him as a projectile back at the Breadnought. The two start hugging each other in an attempt to crush one another. Shandri returns with the matchbook. She leaps to the Muffin Man's unconscious body (they were asked to bring him in alive), throws the matchbook to Phil, then jumps out again. She and Kyle flee as Phil lights a match and turns the entire factory into one enormous, buttery-scented conflagration and launches himself into the sky.

As it turns out, the Breadnought is stronger than thought. It emerges, on fire but "alive". Kyle, floating nearby, decides the best course of action is to just throw a nearby storage shed at it. The Breadnought is squished, though someone's treasured baby clothes are sacrificed to end the threat.

That was great. Please tell me that the abandoned warehouse was on Drury Lane. :downsrim:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played another game of Fiasco, even better than last time!

I brought in a friend of mine who's never played RPGs, ever, someone who I've played paranoia with, and a few others.

My friend wanted to play the Dragon Slayers module (the group is an adventuring party, fat on the loot of their last haul and desperate to get all of it). With the default settings, we got a group of desperados, who almost all had "Wynn" as part of their name. We decided our group was The Wynners. They were made up of:

Zepla Ssleek-Win, Kobold Pacifist Cleric, who was friends with
Sanguine Golem #402, who was going to be sacrificed by
Wynnona Fyre, crazed sorceress, who vied for power with
Sir Wynchester, Paladin of Boragh, tied in a blood ritual to
Alwynn, the 16 year old wannabe page, who was former cellmates with Zepla.

They had a staff of resurrection (with one charge left) and an invisibility cloak, as well as five shares of The Dragon Jeff's hoard.

The game devolved quickly into conspiracy as Sir Wynchester, drunk for the first time (due to the team's insistence), told a group of hooligans he was purging himself of evil... and that he could purge THEM of evil, with training.
This eventually led to him having his own bandit army.

Zepla allied with the blood golem, promising to make him a 'real creature'...and unsacrificable.

Miss Fyre tried to usurp Sir Wynchester with the help of Alwynn, who wasn't buying it. Instead, we saw Alwynn and Zepla work together in a flashback...Zepla was jailed due to the King's racist, anti-kobold policies, and Alwynn aided Zep's escape.

At this point, someone wanted Zepp to go into the swamp...to lay eggs. I went with it, concluding that Zepla was female. While Fyre tried to spy (using a cloak of invisibility), she ran into Sanguine, who noticed the heavy swamp footprints. The two had it out, and when Sanguine wanted his freedom, Fyre cast a spell. It backfired, destroying the cloak (which was a significant part of the treasure).

Wynchester's attempt to train the hooligans failed; the entire county's thieves got involved, and started running people off their property to die in the swamps.

Sir Wynchester: When did I tell you all to drive people into the swamp?
Head thief gives the world's most innocent shrug.

Everyone allied with everyone (and Zepla allied TWICE with everyone), with Zepla convincing Fyre to spend her treasure equipping a group of highwaymen. We had another flashback - Alwynn and Sir Wynchester, who claimed Alwynn had "the green flame". They created a blood bond on the spot, and decided to hunt down Jeff the Dragon.

Going into act 2, everyone was going to steal someone else's treasure, and meet up in a swamp cave outside of town, and kill their adversaries. Zep had lost her alliance with Sanguine, when the later refused to be raised as a KOBOLD ("cold blood is no good for sacrifices!")

It turns out the green flame was the ability to detect and summon dragons. Alwynn, making an enemy of Sanguine, tried to capture a dragon and take it to the cave. UNFORTUNATELY, we had used all of our white dice to secure alliances, so our latter half was doomed to various failures. The dragon attacked Alwynn, starting a massive fire in the cave.

Sanguine tried to turn into a dragon by manipulating its body, which confused Alwynn further; the green flame didn't work!

Many of Fyre's soldiers died due to smoke inhalation. The kobold army refused to fight its dragon kin.

Not seeing the Green Flame in their hearts, Sir Wynchester cut down his own troops. This drove Alwynn mad, and the latter shot his mentor in the heart, fleeing into the wilderness.

Zepla, unable to secure more gold (since Alwynn had stolen many shares), lost face in her tribe.

Fyre was driven insane by the rejection of her golem, and swore to destroy it.

The town, noting that Zepla had conspired with nearly all of the freak adventurers, banned kobolds entirely.

The golem took the blood of the highwaymen and became extremely powerful, donating its plasma to wizard colleges. Unfortunately, it was caught and destroyed by Wynnona Fyre.

Alwynn discovered, with his green flame, a clutch of small kobolds...which he took and raised as a surrogate parent.

Zepla used the staff of resurrection to revive Sir Wynchester as a slave. They existed at the fringes of both societies, souring human/kobold relations for years to come.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 12, 2013

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Various people posted:

:haw:

Heheh, thanks, folks. At times, I wish I had a group who were interested in serious adventures, but I doubt I'd have anywhere near as many awesome memories if I did.

Also,

@Yawgmoth: Funnily enough, Phil has leaping. In a later adventure, that I might as well recount next, he leaped rooftop to rooftop, followed by Kyle. Shandri was away, so it really did basically become The Tick.

@Beardless: Actually, funnily enough, the street we all live next to is called Drewry, so... Take that as you will.

Anywho, next adventure, since people seem interested.

After defeating the Muffin Man, the group is rewarded with official status as recognized metahumans. They're given a small stipend, as well as funding for a superhero headquarters, as stipulated in the Metahuman Housing Act of 2017.

As it so happens, Shandri is the only one of the three with an actual place of residence and business; a pest control company whose front sign reads "PEST CONTROL AND TOTALLY NOT A SUPERHERO HIDEOUT". They decide to use the money to upgrade that particular place, rather than start anew. The money is used to buy furniture, a few recreational facilities, upgrade the damned sign to something less blitheringly silly, and hire Dylan, a teenager who works behind the counter at the front of the store.

Now, in between this point and the story I will describe to you next, a number of things happen. The group defeats a nasty supervillain (a bombastic fight but little in the way of anything mentionable, beyond Phil smearing a racist pyromaniac into paste using two cars) and get a medal from the mayor, rising up in the world.

Now, the session after that grandiose battle, Shandri's player is away for the weekend, so I decide why not have some fun with Kyle's backstory and run a side-adventure for him and Phil? Me and the other two players assemble, we go over business from last session, and then I start to narrate the scene.

Kyle wakes up. His head is inside a washing machine. He pulls himself free and examines his surroundings. From horizon to horizon lay burnt and wrecked buildings, red dust, ravaged vehicles, and thick, dark clouds. The only unbroken things laying around are himself, the washing machine, and a small red phone sitting on a stump, plugged into nothing.

Already figuring this is weird as gently caress, Kyle picks up the phone and tries to order pizza. Unable to reach the local pizza place, he dials Phil's cellphone. Phil gets the call, only for the phone to turn into a terrible siphon to the other end. Phil, however, is stronger than the vast majority of interdimensional siphons and manages to resist the tug. However, he also sleeps naked. Kyle is promptly hit in the ear by a giant red dong.

After we all recovered from laughing at this, Phil's player gets an idea: He decides that he doesn't want to bother with this adventure and wants to see how well I can improvise. We lock eyes, I say bring it on. Kyle and Phil pull the portal open to let Kyle back into not-crazy land and the two decide to go gently caress off to an arcade at three in the morning.

As they're coming home from the arcade, just as the newspaper delivery trucks are throwing out their wares, they sense a police chase. They immediately race to join in, quickly catching up. Phil decides to stop the escaping car the only way he knows how: By jumping in front of it. Me being a sadist, I make him roll a reflex save.

He rolls badly.

Phil lands facing away from the car and misjudges his timing. He is rammed in the rear end by a speeding automotive and his face is buried into the asphalt. The car somehow manages to keep moving, even with Phil's shapely buttocks embedded in the engine block. The chase finally halts when Kyle levitates the car off the ground.

As the sun rises, they start heading back to the hideout, to rest and prepare for the next day.

That's part one of two, for Phil and Kyle's solo adventure. Part two has dodecahedrons, a sweet old lady, and an impromptu relocation of a convenience store.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

As the two heroes are just about to get some rest, they get a call from Radnar. Apparently, he wants them to go and investigate a fire. When they ask why send them and not, say, the fire department, he explains that the local fire department is what's on fire.

All of it.

When they arrive, the fire station is indeed on fire, including the stuff that shouldn't be burning. Stone, metal, plastic, etc. All up in flames. Phil, having recently discovered his uncanny resistance to fire, marches into the flames to look for the firefighters but they're all missing. Kyle, deciding to try and put out the fire, quickly pulls all the air out of the building with his freaky brain powers.

Sadly, hobos aren't very good at rudimentary physics, as creating a sudden vacuum the size of a building has very nasty effects when he lets go a moment later and all the air rushes in. The entire building is swiftly reduced to rubble with Phil inside. Before any rash responses can be taken by a giant red man wreathed in fire, Radnar calls them up and informs them that there's a disturbance in the city by the waterfront; apparently, there's some giant pile of water rolling around and crushing everything.

Since Kyle doesn't need a car and Phil can't fit in one, the two hop onto the local train. Along the way, a kindly old lady sits next to Phil. She introduces herself as Mrs. Everton, asks him his name, tells him stories about her grandson, gives him some butterscotch candy... Turns out Phil loves the stories old ladies tell. She agrees to visit him later, thereby cementing her status as a recurring character.

Once the two arrive in the downtown area, they end up fighting an immense dodecahedron of water that rolls through the city, smashing buildings and picking people up in its path. The two try and fight it but it's too strong and escapes into the sewers. Before they can go after it, Radnar calls. Apparently a large creature made of brick and earth is attacking a residential district. Once again, they get on the train. Then, after this one, there's, surprise, an air elemental downtown, hurling lightning on people. Both of them flee before they can defeat anyone.

After all this rigmarole, they get a fifth and final call from Radnar. The elementals have assembled in a city park with all the people they'd kidnapped earlier that day. They've been performing some sort of blood ritual, cutting them open and hurling their hearts into an enormous pit. Phil and Kyle race to the scene, just in time to watch the ritual come to its conclusion. The air, earth, fire, and water elementals pour themselves into the bloody pit full of hearts.

Phil's player looks at me deadpan and asks "Wait a minute. Are we fighting Captain Planet?"

Initiative is rolled. Kyle looks for whichever building will be most convenient to have in the middle of a park and decides on a convenience store. The building is ripped from its foundations and smashes into the blood pit. The damage is extreme, more than the newly birthed monster can take. Phil and Kyle arrive just in time to hear its last words.

"By your powers combined..."

And that's where we ended the session.

Axelgear fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 17, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Axelgear posted:

"By your powers combined..."
I knew that was coming. I knew it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Axelgear posted:

Since Kyle doesn't need a car and Phil can't fit in one, the two hop onto the local train. Along the way, a kindly old lady sits next to Phil. She introduces herself as Mrs. Everton, asks him his name, tells him stories about her grandson, gives him some butterscotch candy... Turns out Phil loves the stories old ladies tell. She agrees to visit him later, thereby cementing her status as a recurring character.

I don't think The Tick ever had a little old lady but I can certainly see him in the exact same situation, all :allears: with Arthur shouting in his ear

This poo poo's fantastic is what I'm saying

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Phy posted:

I don't think The Tick ever had a little old lady but I can certainly see him in the exact same situation, all :allears: with Arthur shouting in his ear

This poo poo's fantastic is what I'm saying

Oh good, it wasn't just me :allears::hf::allears: I love this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Just had the most fantastic exchange in the Eberron game I'm running.

:what:: "Am I really the only one with even the slightest concerns that we are following the exceptionally vague directions of someone who might very well be mad into one of the most dangerous places in Khorvaire to look for nothing specific in order to produce magical effects no one's ever heard of?"
:haw:: "Apparently!"
:what: blinks.
:what:: "Well OK then. You were saying?"