Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

My favorite part of The Satanic Verses are the chapters with Mohammed. I just read Master and Margarita and the Pontius Pilate parts were, again, the best.

Anyone have any recommendations along those religious-retelling lines? Any religion. Considering Saramago's The Gospel According to Jesus Christ and maybe Heller's God Knows, though it gets mixed reviews and I dunno about his non-Catch-22 books.
Saramago's Cain is another one that's like that. It's a retelling of the old testament, with Cain as the main character. I though it was kind of blah, but if you can find it cheap or at a library, it's worth the read.

Edit: It's more of a novella than a novel proper, if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nate fisher posted:

Although not in the same backdrop you may like This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Trooper. It is about a dysfunctional family that comes together to sit for shiva (for 7 days) after the father dies.

Sorry about all the recommendations in the last couple of days.

This book owns hard and everyone should read it. For ease of location, however: author's last name is Tropper, not Trooper.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any books which critique and analyze Capitalism as a system?

Preferably with its historical development and evolution over time as well as the benefits/weaknesses of capitalist systems. This doesn't necessarily mean just classical Marxist critique but more so analyzing the system on its own terms.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm craving Jewish-American suburban or urban family life stuff, bonus points for coming-of-age themes, and a 60's/70's/80's backdrop.

Saul Bellow's stuff is great, especially Herzog and Augie Marsh. If you can look past the American part, I'd check out Mordecai Richler's stuff (his stuff was more or less set in Montreal). I think The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravtiz might be right up your alley.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Tots posted:

Aside from that though, I'm not sure how to describe it, but I like reading about people. Especially like outcast type people, doing drugs, going to bars, loving off, whatever, and everything else that kind of life entails. This probably sounds retarded, whatever. Book recommendations?

Irvine Welsh, Brett Easton Ellis, Junky, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes Brett Easton Ellis is the first thing that comes to mind (Rules of Attraction might be a good starting point). One of my favorites is Donna Tratt's The Secret History that fits in the category. Also cannot forget to mention McInerney's Bright Light, Big City.

Any other suggestions please? I also love books about decadence in a modern/urban sitting.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any good books that take place in ancient Rome/Greece but aren't about actual historical figures or kings or generals or whatnot? Ideally something non-military as well.

I like the Medicus series by Ruth Downie, which takes place in Roman Britain. It's about an army doctor and has a lot to do with army life, though.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Bit of an obscure ask but I'm looking for fiction set in modern day Tokyo. Not too worried about the genre as long as it's not an overly romanticised drama. Gritty Tokyo is better.

The Billy Chaka series by Isaac Adamson? I've only read the second book, but looking over the rest of the series, all except the last book take place in Tokyo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was thinking of trying some Haruki Murakami.

Any you'd particularly recommend as a good starter?

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

nate fisher posted:

Yes Brett Easton Ellis is the first thing that comes to mind (Rules of Attraction might be a good starting point). One of my favorites is Donna Tratt's The Secret History that fits in the category. Also cannot forget to mention McInerney's Bright Light, Big City.

Any other suggestions please? I also love books about decadence in a modern/urban sitting.

For something different (drugs and decadence in a different culture) You might want to try Ryu Murakami's Almost Transparent Blue. Similar beginnings as Bret Easton Ellis, he wrote the novel while he was still in university.

Since you're rattling off a lot of the literati 'brat packers' of the 80's you might as well give Tama Janowitz a try as well, though her novels have a decidedly more female perspective.

Hubert Selby Jr. (Requiem for a Dream, Last Exit to Brooklyn) of course. This is going more into desperation and not just partying though.

There is also Jean Genet's Our Lady of the Flowers but that one is kind of a far left suggestion, look it up on Wiki first to see if it's your cup of tea.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

guppy posted:

This book owns hard and everyone should read it. For ease of location, however: author's last name is Tropper, not Trooper.

Thanks guys - this basically looks like exactly what I'm after and I'm going to read all his books immediately!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Poutling posted:

For something different (drugs and decadence in a different culture) You might want to try Ryu Murakami's Almost Transparent Blue. Similar beginnings as Bret Easton Ellis, he wrote the novel while he was still in university.

Since you're rattling off a lot of the literati 'brat packers' of the 80's you might as well give Tama Janowitz a try as well, though her novels have a decidedly more female perspective.

Hubert Selby Jr. (Requiem for a Dream, Last Exit to Brooklyn) of course. This is going more into desperation and not just partying though.

There is also Jean Genet's Our Lady of the Flowers but that one is kind of a far left suggestion, look it up on Wiki first to see if it's your cup of tea.

I have been on Japanese kick lately (been reading some of the other Murakami) so I just ordered that.

I think it is because I grew up in the 80's and some of the first books I read as a adult were by Brett Easton Ellis that I have this fascination. I think I might also check out Janowitz's Slaves of New York.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Thanks guys - this basically looks like exactly what I'm after and I'm going to read all his books immediately!

I am glad I could help. Sorry about misspelling the name, but I mostly post from my iPhone during the day (which causes me to make tons of errors).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Darth Walrus posted:

Was thinking of trying some Haruki Murakami.

Any you'd particularly recommend as a good starter?

Norwegian Wood is a love triangle book that has very little of his typical surrealism, but it's a good introduction to his style.

If you want some surrealism, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is his magnum opus in most people's opinions, but my favorite is Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which has a teensy bit of cyberpunk tied in with a very mysterious plot about a town isolated from the rest of the world.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

nate fisher posted:

I have been on Japanese kick lately (been reading some of the other Murakami) so I just ordered that.

If you like Almost Transparent Blue after you read it you should try his Coin Locker Babies, it's pretty weird and a fun read.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chamberk posted:

Norwegian Wood is a love triangle book that has very little of his typical surrealism, but it's a good introduction to his style.

If you want some surrealism, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is his magnum opus in most people's opinions, but my favorite is Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which has a teensy bit of cyberpunk tied in with a very mysterious plot about a town isolated from the rest of the world.

Cool, thanks for the heads-up. My Kindle awaits.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Does anyone have any recommendation on historical drama or fiction books with focus on political drama? I have this vague political drama idea in my head and I figure I need to dip in that pool before I can write anything.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation on ...fiction books with focus on political drama? I have this vague political drama idea in my head and I figure I need to dip in that pool before I can write anything.

Joe Klein's Primary Colors and The Running Mate are both pretty good picks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation on historical drama or fiction books with focus on political drama? I have this vague political drama idea in my head and I figure I need to dip in that pool before I can write anything.

All the King's Men - Robert Penn Warren: Loosely based in spots on Huey Long.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

All the King's Men - Robert Penn Warren: Loosely based in spots on Huey Long.

I was going to recommend this as well, but it's really more focused on the personal drama than the political wrangling. It's a great novel and worth reading; I'm just not sure it's what he's looking for.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, I went into that book thinking it was about Huey Long and it is, but only to an extent. I'd still recommend it, though, it's a great novel.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

So I've been reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series and in addition to being astonishingly brilliant historical fiction it's also very adept at building interest in 18th- and 19th-century naval warfare.

What I'd like are some great non-fiction recommendations elaborating on this subject: on ships, officers, battles, the lives of men at sea, anything. About the British and French, primarily, but also Americans, Spanish, anyone. Her Majesty's Navy, privateers—hell, feel free even to throw in books on pirates of this period.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So, recently (well, for a given value of "recently") I've read John Dies at the End, and American Gods, and I love that combination of "funny, but also with a good plot" and I'm hoping to find more like it. I've already read Discworld, the Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy, pretty much everything by Vonnegut, pretty much everything by Twain, and a Confederacy of Dunces, all of which were also more or less what I'm looking for.

I loved the hell out of John Dies at the End, so any recommendations even remotely like it would be appreciated.

Edit: Oh, and I recently started Dresden Files too, which I'm enjoying well enough.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 10, 2012

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
John Dies at The End is defo one of my favourite books, and there's not really anything else like it out there. But in a way Jeff Strand's Wolf Hunt scratches that itch. It's very likable idiots out of their depth against a monster, that's funny with a really good plot.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Doomsayer posted:

I loved the hell out of John Dies at the End, so any recommendations even remotely like it would be appreciated.

Blueprints of the Afterlife, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, and Everything Matters! have, to varying degrees, a mixture of humor, non-linear plot, and compelling story that is similar to John Dies (and, in the case of Blueprints, a healthy dose of "what the gently caress?"). PKD is also worth a look, as a lot of the ideas in John Dies are quite Dickian- maybe look into Eye in the Sky, Counter-Clock World, The Simulacra, The Crack in Space, Do Androids Dream...?, or Flow, My Tears....

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Doomsayer posted:

So, recently (well, for a given value of "recently") I've read John Dies at the End, and American Gods, and I love that combination of "funny, but also with a good plot" and I'm hoping to find more like it. I've already read Discworld, the Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy, pretty much everything by Vonnegut, pretty much everything by Twain, and a Confederacy of Dunces, all of which were also more or less what I'm looking for.

Edit: Oh, and I recently started Dresden Files too, which I'm enjoying well enough.

You might look at The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. I thought it was witty and a lot of fun, in addition to having an interesting setting. It was one of those books that let me figure out some of it's mysteries so I could feel smart and then still managed to blindside me with some other twists and turns.

Goodreads has a pretty description of it.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Two things:

I really enjoyed One Hundred Days of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, particularity his ability to really paint a sort of picture of a time and place, and sort of mythologise events. Likewise I am a big fan of Cormac McCarthy, such as All the Pretty Horses. Any suggestions for other authors and books to read?

Also I am looking for books like Kraken by China Mieville and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, sort of fantasy set in the cracks of modern society and cities.

Bolocko posted:

So I've been reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series and in addition to being astonishingly brilliant historical fiction it's also very adept at building interest in 18th- and 19th-century naval warfare.

What I'd like are some great non-fiction recommendations elaborating on this subject: on ships, officers, battles, the lives of men at sea, anything. About the British and French, primarily, but also Americans, Spanish, anyone. Her Majesty's Navy, privateers—hell, feel free even to throw in books on pirates of this period.

It's not quite what your after, being fiction, but maybe the Hornblower series by C. S. Forester? I've not read it, but quite enjoyed the TV miniseries.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

I do have Hornblower (and a few other similarly-set series) in my queue and I'm open to fiction recommendations, but what I'm really looking for is non-fiction.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Just finished House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski and I really enjoyed it. It kinda reminded of Marble Hornets and the Blair Witch Project, and now I'm looking for a book that shares the same atmosphere, especially in the exploration parts. And since Google has failed to find anything I'm turning to the second best place to go on the internet.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bolocko posted:

I don't really know much about naval history, but I do have some mostly pirate-related material from the period, mostly from the English perspective. Here are a few books from my library:

The Wooden World: An Anatomy of the Georgian Navy by NAM Rodger. A very dry, academic book about life on an English navy ship in the 1700s. The author is a fairly important historian who really knows what he's talking about, but the prose isn't exactly riveting.

The Sack Of Panama: Captain Morgan and the Battle for the Caribbean by Peter Earle. Pirates on sea and on land attack and plunder an entire city, one of the most audacious pirate actions of them all.

If A Pirate I Must Be: The True Story Of Bartholomew Roberts, King Of The Caribbean by Richard Sanders. A bio of Black Bart. Well written narrative.

Scurvy : How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentleman Solved the Greatest Medical Miracle of the Age of Sail by Stephen R. Bown. Title says it all. Lots of details of the poo poo sailors had to deal with and the horrible state of medicine back then.

Pirate Wars by Peter Earle. Earle writes pretty well. This is a book not so much about pirates, but about how they were finally shut down.

Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly. Title says it all.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bolocko posted:

Empire of Blue Water: Captain Morgan's Great Pirate Army, the Epic Battle for the Americas, and the Catastrophe That Ended the Outlaws' Bloody Reign by Stephan Talty. The title explains it pretty well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Any of these pirate books about the Outerbanks?

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I'm asking for my sister, who I just bought a Kindle for. She loves Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare and any classic authors. I have all of those ready for her. What contemporary authors that I haven't heard of will she like?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Goatmask posted:

Two things:

I really enjoyed One Hundred Days of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, particularity his ability to really paint a sort of picture of a time and place, and sort of mythologise events. Likewise I am a big fan of Cormac McCarthy, such as All the Pretty Horses. Any suggestions for other authors and books to read?

Also I am looking for books like Kraken by China Mieville and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, sort of fantasy set in the cracks of modern society and cities.

I'm reading a book that might fit both of these - John Crowley's Little, Big.

Amazon posted:

Little, Big tells the epic story of Smoky Barnable -- an anonymous young man who meets and falls in love with Daily Alice Drinkwater, and goes to live with her in Edgewood, a place not found on any map. In an impossible mansion full of her relatives, who all seem to have ties to another world not far away, Smoky fathers a family and tries to learn what tale he has found himself in -- and how it is to end.

It meanders a bit near the end, but it's a world worth living in for a little while. There's a family whose tree rivals the Buendias of 100 Years of Solitude, and a mythological New York. It takes place from the late 1800s to about the 1970s, and handles the idea of the world of Faerie and its inhabitants (with whom the Drinkwater clan are somewhat related) in a way that honors old traditions (such as references to Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" and several old Lewis Carroll poems) yet is pretty original.

There's also Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale, which also features a mythical New York, often trapped in winter. I never feel like that one quite gels together at the end, though there are some terrific passages throughout.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 22, 2016

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
In the process of finishing up Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis, it's come to my attention that I might enjoy reading The Art of War and The Prince. Does anyone have recommendations on which publishers did the best job translating the two? I've read conflicting reviews as to which edition is the best.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Goatmask posted:

Two things:

I want to strongly, strongly second the Little, Big recommendation. It's one of my favorite books, and it kind of fulfills both halves of this. As Chamberk said, it's about the history of a single New York family, their long complicated story and the way in which they're intertwined with the fairy world. It's in a contemporary world but it's also distinctly fantastic and mythological - although frequently the fantastic elements are not quite visible, a little out of the way. I would also recommend another book by Crowley, Four Freedoms - it's the story of a bunch of people on the home front in World War II America, the way their lives change and America changes. It's not fantasy in the way Little, Big is (although it is not really harsh realism either) but it does, as you say, capture the time, while also mythologizing it. Really great book. I suspect other Crowley novels are probably equally good, but I haven't read any yet.

You might also check out, for the second half of that request, some of Charles De Lint's novels - my favorite is Someplace To Be Flying - or A Fine And Private Place by Peter S Beagle, which is about ghosts in New York City. Both are pretty good.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

oscarthewilde posted:

Just finished House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski and I really enjoyed it. It kinda reminded of Marble Hornets and the Blair Witch Project, and now I'm looking for a book that shares the same atmosphere, especially in the exploration parts. And since Google has failed to find anything I'm turning to the second best place to go on the internet.

I really liked Jeff Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen. It's a little less horror and a little more fantasy but it's a series of short stories based around a fictional town called Ambergris. There's a lot of exploration based on the history of the town and its previous inhabitants, I found it very interesting.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Poutling posted:

I really liked Jeff Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen. It's a little less horror and a little more fantasy but it's a series of short stories based around a fictional town called Ambergris. There's a lot of exploration based on the history of the town and its previous inhabitants, I found it very interesting.

Seconding this pretty hard. It's a good book.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

In the process of finishing up Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis, it's come to my attention that I might enjoy reading The Art of War and The Prince. Does anyone have recommendations on which publishers did the best job translating the two? I've read conflicting reviews as to which edition is the best.

I have the George Bull translation of The Prince and it suits me fine, but Peter Bondanella's translation for the Oxford's World Classics should be good (and if you really feel digging in, there's a Norton Critical Edition, too).

The main thing I'd worry about for both is cheaping out: I've seen many budget copies of these two books and they always use some public domain translation that's dated, stilted and a pain to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
I'm looking for a well written murder/detective novel. Something with some great twists and interesting characters, like the movies "Se7en" or "Hannibal". I read "Victims" by Jonathan Kellermen and I really enjoyed that up until the end when it was just a huge let down. Besides that, I have almost no experience in this genre. So I turn to you Book Barn, help point me in the right direction!