Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
UGGGGGG WTF I thought this drugs shortage business was just about over? For the last two months or so, I've managed to not have a problem filling my prescription for Dexedrine. Now, the pharmacy doesn't have it in stock. Dropped off the prescription last Saturday to get it filled and the lady said they didn't have Dex in stock. She said they'll get their shipments in during the week. Went to pick it up today and they still couldn't fill it! The guy today says that maybe they will get it this week.

I was doing some Googling and I'm reading things about Dexedrine being discontinued. But, the reports are conflicting. Some reports say that only the name brand is being discontinued but the generic is not. Other reports say the whole drug - generic AND name brand - is being discontinued. I tried to read up about this on ADHD message boards, but holy poo poo. Ever tried to wade through posts in an ADHD forum? I'm not surprised about misspellings or missing the occasional word from a sentence in an ADHD forum. This is different. The posters are literally just looking and sounding like morons.

I feel bad saying this, but I wish I could shut those forums down. I'd hate for a 'normal' person to read them and equate ADHD with "loving stupid!". Or maybe that's just my hypersensitivity from decades of being labeled a moron because I can't remember the milk every time I go grocery shopping, forget where I am, can't remember what we were talking about five minutes ago, etc.

So Concerta hardly works for me, Adderall is still impossible to get, now Dexedrine is becoming hard to find and might not even EXIST anymore. Great! Looks like it's time to switch to Vyvanse. From what I understand, there has never been a shortage of the drug. The pharmacy I frequent has it in stock as well. Hopefully Vyvanse isn't a flop like Concerta was.

In the mean time, I'm running low on my Dex and getting scared about that. I got moved into what's possibly the worst kind of role at work. One that is tedious and requires an INSANE amount of attention to detail. So I kinda need the meds to not be poo poo at this job. Uh oh. Expanding on feeling bad about things, I still have a 'cache' of medications I can fall back on when I run out of Dex. I have ~1.5 week supply of Concerta and 3-4 days of old Adderall. It's hard to not feel like a junkie when my thought is that when I run out of Dex, I'll just 'dip into my stash'.

Authentic You posted:

not trying to get a better job out of fear that I won't be able to be successful at it, and thinking back and realizing I squandered my time in undergrad because I eeked by doing the bare minimum and not diving headfirst into all the awesomeness at my university that I secretly knew I was capable of doing, but just.. didn't.
That's definitely par for the course. For me at least, I can't say that the meds really ever made the "I'm not good enough" feeling go away. But, they've lessened it. Not because of the drugs themselves, but because after a while on the medication, you just get used to being productive. Being able to focus, you get used to actually being able to learn poo poo because you can actually finish the textbooks! And when you learn things, you enter this awesome feedback loop where the stuff you learned makes it easier to new things.

quote:

This is how I grocery shop. I dart around out of order and constantly having to double back because I'd forgotten something or decide that I actually want something two isles back. I stop and stare at the exotic fruit for way too long. My boyfriend says that watching me in the produce section is hilarious. When I finally get to the checkout register, I have a moment of awful indecision when I have to pick a register and stand there being indecisive for a while, then I remember, 'oh wait I wanted this other thing!' and wander off again.
I see nothing wrong with this. I mean doesn't everyone shop like...

quote:

How my boyfriend shops. He does everything in order, and when we shop together holds me to it too, and I can do it with his help, but it's mentally exhausting.
...gently caress. :( My ex shopped like that, my parents, everyone I know (that's "normal"). I'll always think that shopping this orderly way is hosed up. Then again, I just can't do anything in an orderly fashion. I genuinely need to be able to ping pong all over the place. Oddly enough, that's one of the truly few positives of ADHD. When I care about something and can focus, I feel I learn faster than "normals" since being able to leap all over the place mentally means I can piece things together faster.

It's funny since I'm like wilfredmerriweathr in that I'm an excellent troubleshooter. I actually work in the tech field as a programmer but used to be in tech support. While my co workers are better than me at actual output and detail oriented things, my crazy way of bouncing around the different parts of a system just gets poo poo done faster than the average person who just cannot work without following a slow process of

1) Read instruction manual (from page 1 to the end, no skipping pages)
2) Orderly inspect piece 1 of the system
3) etc.

Meanwhile, I've ripped the thing apart, grabbed random pieces, examined them to see how they all relate, then formed a mental model of how it all works. Too bad I always catch poo poo because to an outsider, it all looks like madness! I used to scare the poo poo out of my ex because I'd assemble things like furniture without ever cracking open the instructions. Just looking at all the pieces you get and somehow just knowing how it all goes together. She was always blown away that I could do that without ever opening the instructions.

quote:

I've already spent like an hour writing/thinking about/zoning out/writing this post, so I'll shut up.

Yeah, I planned to look for jobs when I got home. I thought I'd take a few minutes to vent about the meds shortage and that's it.

An hour later...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
While I'd love to go through and start from the OP, I really doubt I could focus for that long :v:

I have notice from skimming the past couple pages that many people have mentioned being great trouble shooters. I worked for a couple years as a guitar/instrument tech and I had a knack for trouble shooting as well. ADD folk seem to be great at seeing the big picture, skimming, gestalt, whatever you want to call it. I often don't have the drive or desire to learn every technical aspect of something though, but seem to have an easy time seeing A -> B -> C and then skipping to where we get to J or what might be missing if we can't get there.

Sometime this does bug me because it seems like everyone else can remember stats and trivia and solid facts. Combined with a bit of lysdexia I will sometimes blurt out gibberish knowing full well what the real answer is, but often to my embarrassment some other configuration of words comes out. I am trying to become more OK with this, but unfortunately even college "smarts" often come down to binary answers. Seems like type A or whatever you want to call them aren't willing to wait for the tenth word in an abstract comparison when they want the answer in one or two words. I guess that's why I enjoy writing papers though.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with co-morbidity. I have been dealing with depression for more than half my life now.. and I think a lot of it stemmed from not doing well in school initially, because of the ADD... and then depression effects attention and motivation, downward spiral time! Been on Welbutrin now for 2 years... seems to help with both issues, but I'm wondering what not drug tactics anyone dealing with both depression or anxiety and ADD use?

e - spellzings

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 9, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Read Delivered From Distraction. Make who ever you live with read it. Cater your life to the way you are, and stop trying to fit your life into how society expects it to be. The book is really good for understanding how to do this. It takes the effort of all around you.

Riding bikes is pretty much a Panacea.

In my experience once I got things manageable and was able to build on small successes it cascaded and alleviated co-morbid conditions like depression. The drug treatment however was the opposite. They went to treat the depression first and we didn't explore the ADHD until later. In retrospect, I think that wasn't the best course for me personally.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Read Delivered From Distraction. Make who ever you live with read it. Cater your life to the way you are, and stop trying to fit your life into how society expects it to be. The book is really good for understanding how to do this. It takes the effort of all around you.
I lurked here a bit before posting and saw people going on about that book, but I didn't write the title down. I'll be honest I couldn't remember which one it was in the bookstore, since he named the sequels so similar, so I left with none... :doh:

TheBigBad posted:

Riding bikes is pretty much a Panacea.
Done and done. :) Although with all the chatter up in my dome it usually takes a solid 30 miles just to get to something resembling a calm state. Or about 10 minutes of mountain biking since it takes every ounce of focus.

TheBigBad posted:

In my experience once I got things manageable and was able to build on small successes it cascaded and alleviated co-morbid conditions like depression. The drug treatment however was the opposite. They went to treat the depression first and we didn't explore the ADHD until later. In retrospect, I think that wasn't the best course for me personally.
I hear ya. The antidepressants were right for the first step since I was in a bad bad spot before that. And I've been doing talk therapy. But ADD or not, it's easy to get psyched about 100 plans in a session and then a day later can't remember what they were, or feel motivated to do em.

I think it was a good step because I've gotten past feeling odd about medz for depression, and now debating some for ADD. I know now as an adult that medication won't define me, and I can always leave it if it's not working.

marmaduke fan
Apr 2, 2011
I recently interviewed for a job, and as part of the interview process I was required to submit to an oral drug test. I'm currently prescribed Vyvanse, which is the only drug of any kind that I am currently taking. Should I be worried about Vyvanse showing up as amphetamine use on the test when the results come back? I didn't mention my prescription to the HR person administering the test, and I didn't see anywhere on the forms that I had to sign where I could write down any prescriptions that I'm currently taking.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You always need to show your prescription to the person doing the drug testing. Call HR, tell them you have a script, and ask if they want a copy of it. Do not wait for them to bring it up.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Interstitial Abs posted:

I hear ya. The antidepressants were right for the first step since I was in a bad bad spot before that. And I've been doing talk therapy. But ADD or not, it's easy to get psyched about 100 plans in a session and then a day later can't remember what they were, or feel motivated to do em.

I think it was a good step because I've gotten past feeling odd about medz for depression, and now debating some for ADD. I know now as an adult that medication won't define me, and I can always leave it if it's not working.

Take notes. Mark the ones you are most excited about so you can zero in on them when you review them later.

Good thoughts on the meds. That's a good place to be in.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I've moved 4 hours and need to find a new psychiatrist. I'm on one side of a large city and will be going to college about 40 minutes away (other side) in a few months.
So I think I'm going to find a psychiatrist over there.
Or, should I inquire with the college to see if they'd offer a free psychiatrist? They're private, 1300 students, so they likely don't have extensive healthcare offerings.

I just need someone local to check in with and give me prescriptions for my medication.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Winszton posted:

I've moved 4 hours and need to find a new psychiatrist. I'm on one side of a large city and will be going to college about 40 minutes away (other side) in a few months.
So I think I'm going to find a psychiatrist over there.
Or, should I inquire with the college to see if they'd offer a free psychiatrist? They're private, 1300 students, so they likely don't have extensive healthcare offerings.

I just need someone local to check in with and give me prescriptions for my medication.

Check with your new school for sure. I go to a school of about 3000 undergrad. While we don't have a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist we do have several certified counselors and a great learning center. I have mainly focused on school and depression in my sessions but I know there are good ADD resources there as well.

I mean, it's already "free" since you are paying for the education. Also they might have a good list of local sliding scale services for the psych/meds part.

Also I'm sure other folk can talk about this (I decided to not go this route) you can be assessed or show them a recent assessment to get accommodations in courses. Even something like testing outside, or at a learning center, away from the AC unit during tests or flickering lights might help (that's the poo poo that usually throws me during tests).

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Delivered from Distraction arrived yesterday, and I've probably read through half of it by now. It's like it knows me. :tinfoil: The story about the ADD girl in high school and her fights with her parents brought up some old, not-so-pleasant memories.. I also talked to my little sister on the phone the other day and mentioned that I'd be going in for evaluation for ADHD. She told me that she remembered how I'd always get yelled at for not doing a chore or something, and then seeing the stricken honest look on my face when I said I forgot. :smith: I never meant to not do it, I just forgot.

Anyhow, things are not going too well. I kinda got laid off last week, due to the dumb start up I work for running out of money for my position. I've been wanting/meaning to get another job for a while now because I'm tired of not being able to afford a car and new clothes, but then didn't bother because I didn't think I was qualified for the listed jobs, or just didn't think about it and forgot. Now hopefully the fire under my rear end is big enough for me to work something out before I have to ask the parents for money. :sigh:

Speaking of parents, my mom is all weirded out over the idea of me possibly taking psych drugs, but I responded with research I've done, and that calmed her down a bit. Still, guh...

Qu Appelle posted:

I love love LOVE the graphs and pictures! If anything, definitely print them out and give your doctor a copy of them. I've done similar things, and my doc has copies of them. It tends to help get the point across when you don't have the words to describe what you're trying to say.
Hey thanks! I'll definitely try to remember to take them with me. In addition to these, I have a few others up my sleeve. Just need to remember to make them!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Oh man that patience level thing is SO loving spot on. It's like my biggest problem! Happens CONSTANTLY. As an example, I am doing research right now as part of a team, and the equipment we are using is pretty old so there is a lot of troubleshooting that needs to be done. Now, I am good at troubleshooting, way better than any of my coworkers (though I'm not tooting my own horn because when it comes to actually crunching the numbers they are way better than me). But I know that I need to explain what I am doing to them so that we are all on the same page.

Basically, I will start explaining what is going on, and they will have questions. So I answer their questions, draw diagrams, etc. At some point, usually five or six minutes into a discussion of a question or something, my brain goes from "hey, help these guys understand" to "GODDAMNIT WHY THE HELL DONT YOU GET IT STOP WASTING MY loving TIME." It's like a switch just gets flipped.

This happens to me in basically all the areas of my life, too. Getting ready to leave to go do something, but have to wait for a friend/girlfriend to get ready? I'll suddenly snap and we need to leave NOW NOW NOW WHAT THE gently caress IS TAKING SO LONG?!

I think it was also the biggest issue getting in the way of me getting schoolwork done back in the day, too. I'd be like "oh hey let's just look at this assignment, huh I need to look this up and poo poo IM DONE THIS IS TAKING FOREVER!"
Oh god I experience all this stuff. I can attribute my on/off patience to a lot of the 'doesn't work well with others' comments in grade school. I remember working with dumber kids in the class was INFURIATING to me because WHY DON'T YOU GET IT IT'S NOT HARD UGH and sometimes I just couldn't contain it. I've never really thought of myself as an overall impatient person, because I have the patience of a saint until, well, all my patience instantly evaporates. I'm just much better at containing it or walking away nowadays.

Dolemite posted:

That's definitely par for the course. For me at least, I can't say that the meds really ever made the "I'm not good enough" feeling go away. But, they've lessened it. Not because of the drugs themselves, but because after a while on the medication, you just get used to being productive. Being able to focus, you get used to actually being able to learn poo poo because you can actually finish the textbooks! And when you learn things, you enter this awesome feedback loop where the stuff you learned makes it easier to new things.

I would love to be productive and feel like I'm good enough. :( I'm intelligent and have some serious artistic talent, and parents and teachers have always told me I'm going to go do great things with my intelligence and talent, but now I'm just letting everyone and myself down by not being able to.. go get it done. :eng99:

quote:

I see nothing wrong with this. I mean doesn't everyone shop like...

...gently caress. :( My ex shopped like that, my parents, everyone I know (that's "normal"). I'll always think that shopping this orderly way is hosed up. Then again, I just can't do anything in an orderly fashion. I genuinely need to be able to ping pong all over the place. Oddly enough, that's one of the truly few positives of ADHD. When I care about something and can focus, I feel I learn faster than "normals" since being able to leap all over the place mentally means I can piece things together faster.
I feel more at peace when I can go do errands in my own time and manner, but oh god is it slow and inefficient. I spend like two or three times as long in the store shopping alone as I do with my boyfriend. But I enjoy aimlessly milling around in the grocery store looking at delicious food out of order. I went shopping with my ADHD/EFD/OCD friend recently and our collective scatterbrain exponentiated - an hour for a list with five things on it.

I also tend to expel my boyfriend from the kitchen when I'm trying to cook. He tries to be efficient and organized and it stresses me out. Best solution is to set him up with the TV and a beer and be all, 'Oh why don't you sit and relax while I do all the cooking!' Then I can have the kitchen to myself and cook the food in my special scatterbrained way.

So yeah.. hopefully I can get a new job soon that either has benefits or lets me afford mental health care. :ohdear:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Authentic You posted:

I would love to be productive and feel like I'm good enough. :( I'm intelligent and have some serious artistic talent, and parents and teachers have always told me I'm going to go do great things with my intelligence and talent, but now I'm just letting everyone and myself down by not being able to.. go get it done. :eng99:

Learning to forgive yourself and ignore the negative perception you've been taught to hold is probably the most important thing to accomplish on the road to 'living up to your potential'. You'll find that even when you accomplish great things they will seem ordinary; like- I should've done that already type moments. Surround yourself with people to point out when you do have successes big and small. Recognizing when you are successful will be like a robot learning what emotion or comedy is, but eventually you'll feel it.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Authentic You posted:

She told me that she remembered how I'd always get yelled at for not doing a chore or something, and then seeing the stricken honest look on my face when I said I forgot. :smith: I never meant to not do it, I just forgot.

Oh God, this. I'm not the biggest fan of rehashing childhood stuff in sessions but I did have one flashback to when I was maybe in second grade and forgot my lunch box. I just honest to God forgot it was a thing I needed to keep track of, and had to endure a 10 minute screaming fit from my mom. That feeling of being trapped and not being able to understand why something so mundane could be so infuriating.

And my dad also recalled once randomly when I was younger than that when he scolded me for something minor, but I was off daydreaming in unicorn land, and he said I was so spooked that it looked like I'd been slapped.

I guess that's maybe why ADD kids are often the 'sensitive' ones.. it's just so surprising when you are snapped back to a reality that you don't expect at all.
So yeah, right there in emo land w/ ya :smith:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh man, this brings back memories. I remember once I slept in on a rainy morning in middle school. For whatever reason, my mom just didn't wake me up after I slept through my alarm. Then, she refused to drive me to school as I had missed the bus, so I got on my bike and high-tailed it to school. I got there midway through the second period, and once I got to my class they immediately sent me to the principal's office. The principal proceeded to belittle me for "playing hooky" and telling me how I'd "never amount to anything" if I kept skipping and maintained such a "disregard for school."

Boy, I was holding back tears by the end of that meeting. I liked school! I just slept through my alarm! I was like "look at my clothes! They are soaking wet. Why would I bike through the rain if I was trying to skip?"

I got detention for trying to "skip school." :(

Stoven
Feb 11, 2008
What an idiot. I can't believe that, I would have forgiven it for the effort alone.

It's funny about the shopping thing, I am the exact opposite. It would drive me loving nuts taking that long to shop. I try to execute things like that in the most efficient way possible and get the gently caress out of there. It drives me nuts when things take too long, guess I'm just very impatient.

Anyone have experience with Lamotrigine? I found the stimulants alone helped but didn't really push me over the edge to help the ADHD. I found now when the Vyvanse hits the lamotrigine it's like magic, I can get stuff started with no problems and it doesn't even bother me.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

New tip: Get a kindle or some other e-ink based reader of your brand preference.

I've been able to plow through 8 books in 2 months. Prior to this I've struggled to read that many in 8 years.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

New tip: Get a kindle or some other e-ink based reader of your brand preference.

I've been able to plow through 8 books in 2 months. Prior to this I've struggled to read that many in 8 years.

How about PDF's on a computer? I haven't tried a reader more than a minute or two dicking around at the bookstore, but for some reason I need me some physical paper.

Trying to retain anything from reading a wall of text on the computer is my personal hell. I mean I could read ten pages in a row and not be able to tell you what it was about.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have a Nook Touch Glow that should be here any say and I'm very excited about it. It will be my 4th e-ink reader. It is a completely different experience from reading a PDF on a computer screen. Even something like an iPad I find insufferable. E-ink isn't backlit, doesn't have the subconscious flicker of a refresh rate, and so on.

Today was my Day 1 on 20mg Vyvanse which is the first medication my Pdoc is having me try, and I'm very much looking forward to being better able to read. In the past even with an e-ink reader I often stare at the same screen for 25 minutes and then realize I'm not actually reading. Or when I pick it up I would always consistently start a new book instead of finishing an older one. Looking forward to finishing books.

And I also am going to root it and hopefully start using Google Calendar or some other Android App to start organizing my life.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Interstitial Abs posted:

How about PDF's on a computer? I haven't tried a reader more than a minute or two dicking around at the bookstore, but for some reason I need me some physical paper.

Trying to retain anything from reading a wall of text on the computer is my personal hell. I mean I could read ten pages in a row and not be able to tell you what it was about.

I was having the same issue, with the added involuntary compulsion to close the book and go do anything else every 3 sentences.

Somewhere during the course of the thread I put RIDING BIKES together with ability to focus and read. So I would drag my textbooks to the gym and read my assignments while on the treadmill. I did week to week comparisons via the quizzes. On weeks I sat at my desk and did my reading- I would score 89%-92%. On the weeks I did my reading on the treadmill- 100%. I have the same feeling of cognitive recall- I cant tell you what I read, its just now in the brain cloud now.

So to save money on textbooks I got the kindle version in some classes and stole my wife's ipad. This is like reading pdfs on a Reading went faster. Still better while on the treadmill. But the ability to flip pages on a screen without having to consider how many more physical pages to plow through.

But I hated staring at the glowing screen. It fatigues the eyes. Its easy to flip to the interwebs, or email, or angry birds. So I love reading paper, but a bunch of paper stacked and bounded triggers the compulsion to do something else.

So the kindle gives me the best of it all. Its dedicated to reading, with minor web capability in a pinch. The e-ink is just like paper, but I dont subliminally psych myself out because any book whether its 900 pages or just 272 of them. Plus I can email a pdf.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been ages since I posted in here, cause, uhh, not much to report. Middle of May I finally got started going to a teaching clinic for clinical psychologists, and, after 5-ish sessions of intake (longer than normal cause of the "teaching" part) we started doing therapy. At the end of it all, she decided that my ADHD and depression were linked (sure that's a big surprise for everyone here who're going through both). Which is odd because I didn't take any tests save for a Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (version 2).

Interstitial Abs posted:

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with co-morbidity. I have been dealing with depression for more than half my life now.. and I think a lot of it stemmed from not doing well in school initially, because of the ADD... and then depression effects attention and motivation, downward spiral time! Been on Welbutrin now for 2 years... seems to help with both issues, but I'm wondering what not drug tactics anyone dealing with both depression or anxiety and ADD use?

Quoting you here, Abs, cause I've got some info for you. When I started doing therapy today I was handed a chart that looks something like this (but much less MS Paint-y):

Cognitive-Behavioral Model of Adult ADHD

Don't know about you, but that kinda sums things up for me at this point.

I knew since the first session that we'd be doing CBT (Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy), but I didn't expect it to be focusing on the ADHD spefically, which is exactly what the plan is. The idea is to focus on those middle three (Negative Thoughts and Beliefs, Mood Disturbance, and Failure to Utilize Compensatory Strategies) to break the loop, as it is. Which, makes sense to me, as my understanding of CBT has been that it focuses on bad thoughts to correct mood problems (obviously in reference to depression).

So Abs, I've got a roundabout where of getting to saying things, but yeah, looks like I'm doing CBT for the treatment of my ADHD. I might be getting :catdrugs: again too (got an appointment with the clinic's resident psychiatrist Mon), but, from what she told me, they've been trying CBT for ADHD for a decade now and things have looked promising. And, since no one else sense to be doing therapy work with it, I could share what I can glean about it. That is, if anybody wants to know.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm pretty much doing CBT with my therapist, and his opinion is that without also being medicated it isn't very effective for ADHD since ADHD is a performance disorder. Without medication, CBT does wonderful things for depression, anxiety, and phobias. For ADHD, CBT does wonderful things with medication.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Someone dare to share what their to-do lists look like, or how you organize priorities, etc? I get stuck when I have like one high priority, but 17 mid level. Ok, I can get that first one done, then I just stare and don't know how to make any sense of the rest.

I will share an embarrassing detail: I have to write down "brush teeth." Everyday. Or I won't.... :(

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

Interstitial Abs posted:

Someone dare to share what their to-do lists look like, or how you organize priorities, etc? I get stuck when I have like one high priority, but 17 mid level. Ok, I can get that first one done, then I just stare and don't know how to make any sense of the rest.

I will share an embarrassing detail: I have to write down "brush teeth." Everyday. Or I won't.... :(

In spite of being line for line, I do not do tasks in any discernible order. poo poo gets written down the moment I think of it. Filling out my lists is the first thing I do after getting my morning coffee + meds. Great combo right?

You'll also notice things repeating across days on end if I don't get to them.

I'll try and find older, pre-medicated note books, those are nuts.

OmNom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 14, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I read a book last year that was comprised of interviews of people who the author considered the very top in their field whether it was business, science, politics etc. One of the commonalities he found amongst them all was that they each had a scheduling/task system that was unique to them and that only they and their assistants understood, and that they planned their days with this home grown system of organization religiously.

I suspected there are more super successful people that have ADHD than you would guess, or organizing your day in a way that suits you is more important to success than trying to make google calendar to work.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

OmNom posted:

In spite of being line for line, I do not do tasks in any discernible order. poo poo gets written down the moment I think of it. Filling out my lists is the first thing I do after getting my morning coffee + meds. Great combo right?

You'll also notice things repeating across days on end if I don't get to them.

I'll try and find older, pre-medicated note books, those are nuts.

Thanks. Do the arrows indicate moved to the next list, because that's something I do.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

Interstitial Abs posted:

Thanks. Do the arrows indicate moved to the next list, because that's something I do.

Exactly, although I am not consistent with their use. It is just as easy to copy crap that is left over. New labels I am using, thanks to Delivered from Distraction, NOW, SOON, NOT NOW. So far it is working.

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho
After reading this thread, and some recent experiences of my own, It sounds like I might have ADHD. How would I go about seeing a psychiatrist? Do I just make an appointment with a GP, or do I need to see a specialist or what?

For context, I'm currently in Christchurch, New Zealand.

edit: the chart that BirdOfPlay posted sums it up pretty much perfectly

marmaduke fan
Apr 2, 2011
For what it's worth, I posted in here asking about possible false positives in regards to taking your meds and a work drug test. The results of my test came back negative today, despite taking Vyvanse for a few days consecutive before and the day of the drug test.

I didn't have to inform them of my prescription or anything, so either saliva drug tests aren't very accurate, therapeutic doses don't really show up, or they know :tinfoil:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

The Candyman posted:

After reading this thread, and some recent experiences of my own, It sounds like I might have ADHD. How would I go about seeing a psychiatrist? Do I just make an appointment with a GP, or do I need to see a specialist or what?
If you're in the US, this is probably only relevant to your insurance in a technical sense. I do not have to see a Primary Care Physician (which is likely to be a GP) first to see specialists while being covered by insurance, but you might. I went to a psychologist first though, which may or may not have helped things go smoother when talking to a psychiatrist later. It could be useful to have a psychologist to talk with even if you have ADHD, because they usually focus more on therapy which could help secondary effects caused by ADHD that are impairing your life that aren't directly helped by medication.

BirdOfPlay posted:

I might be getting :catdrugs: again too (got an appointment with the clinic's resident psychiatrist Mon), but, from what she told me, they've been trying CBT for ADHD for a decade now and things have looked promising. And, since no one else sense to be doing therapy work with it, I could share what I can glean about it. That is, if anybody wants to know.
While I haven't "officially" been doing CBT therapy for ADHD, it has helped me with things like accepting the state of myself, highlighting things I can improve (if I can do the things required to improve anyway), bringing into awareness when ADHD is blocking me from something, and not trying to do things in a way that is inefficient for me due to ADHD because straining against it trying to be like a fully able person is the "proper" way to do things. It's not a full treatment though, and sometimes I just get stuck sitting around knowing I should be doing a particular thing but find myself unable to actually do it regardless of how important it is supposed to be and that I am thinking of doing it. It does give me a slightly better chance of actually doing those things when I need to though, medicine or not. It's just not nearly as much of a help as medication for the primary problem.

Interstitial Abs posted:

I really wish I could just make, maintain and use a to-do list for more than a few days. I have problems making a grocery list much less maintain a to-do list.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 14, 2012

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Kylra posted:

I really wish I could just make, maintain and use a to-do list for more than a few days. I have problems making a grocery list much less maintain a to-do list.

Ahhhh, I totally deal with the same thing. It's so frustrating that the only thing consistent is my inconsistency. And all the books are like "it's just developing a habit... " but developing a consistent habit feels impossible to me.

Baby steps to the list, baby steps. :sigh:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Interstitial Abs posted:

Ahhhh, I totally deal with the same thing. It's so frustrating that the only thing consistent is my inconsistency. And all the books are like "it's just developing a habit... " but developing a consistent habit feels impossible to me.

Baby steps to the list, baby steps. :sigh:

Ritualize the reward. Make it a big thing to cross something off. Its satisfying its good.

Make a list things you already have to do anyway, and then add one thing.

Make a big deal about crossing things off the list.

Momentum counts.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Ritualize the reward. Make it a big thing to cross something off. Its satisfying its good.

I tend to yell "gently caress yeah dude!" really loudly when I finally clear something I never could on my mountain bike.

Maybe I'll start doing that for the line cross! :v:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ok, thanks for putting that in prespective, Kylra and Rosa. I wasn't trying to act like I was doing some hot, new thing, but from my reading of this thread all anyone talked about (as far as their treatment goes) was the way their drugs worked and organizational tips. It just didn't sound like others had gone through or were attempting some form of talk therapy.

And I didn't mean to be all against taking Adderall or what have you again, it's just hard to see how necessary it is when I'm not really doing school work or any other mentally demanding job. Regardless, I signed myself up to get checked out and to have the help I needed to start being successful (hard not to just say "normal"), least I can do is try it for a couple of months and see where it takes me. :shobon:

Also, I love how y'all are talking about to-do lists and daily organizational tips. My pysch seriously told me to buy a pocket calendar and a notebook for next week's session. It's like when you learn a new vocab word in grade school and everyone, the news anchor, mayor, minister, etc., just start using it for the next couple of weeks. :D

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I've been taking my meds every day, no drug holidays, since even on the weekends, I'm very busy teaching myself new skills to make myself marketable to employers in my area.

Problem is that with these drug shortages, I'm going to have to start rationing the meds. But man, a days off the meds are hard as hell. I feel mentally sluggish and foggy. Sucks.

I'm thinking of going back on caffeinated coffee on my off days. I remember a while back in the thread that a lot of Goons were fans of Yerba Mate. Basically, do any of you medicate with caffeine on your off days or holidays? If so, what do you use? Coffee? Tea?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Dolemite posted:

I've been taking my meds every day, no drug holidays, since even on the weekends, I'm very busy teaching myself new skills to make myself marketable to employers in my area.

Problem is that with these drug shortages, I'm going to have to start rationing the meds. But man, a days off the meds are hard as hell. I feel mentally sluggish and foggy. Sucks.

I'm thinking of going back on caffeinated coffee on my off days. I remember a while back in the thread that a lot of Goons were fans of Yerba Mate. Basically, do any of you medicate with caffeine on your off days or holidays? If so, what do you use? Coffee? Tea?

I take the weekends off, and caffeinate with black coffee during the day, and tea in the evening. I thought of doing the yerba mate thing, but when I've tried it, it just tasted like hot wet grass to me, and I couldn't detect any stimulant effect. (I also didn't have the 'true yerba mate experience' with the gourd and all, just YM packed in a teabag and served as if it was tea.)

I'm going to try YM again at some point; there's a South American grocery store in Seattle (Mercado Latino in Pike Place Market) that serves it now, and while it'll still be 'teabag style', it'll probably be higher quality than the stuff at the hippie coffeeshop down the street.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 15, 2012

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Hi thread, it's been a while. I still haven't gone back to the doctor to be retested after being tested and passing (passing is a weird word, maybe failing the am I normal test? I dunno what you call it) but my girlfriend and I did read the distraction book and she has been trying to help me with putting things away, she bought me a nice little place to set my keys and wallet because I was forgetting where I put them, and I was doing it for a while but I seem to have stopped that.

We started running and did it for about 8 weeks but then we went on vacation and haven't started it back up. I am switching jobs at work and am starting to get worried that I might be slacking in my new job.

I keep coming back to this thread because it's so great to read and keep up with a few of you in the thread and hopefully one day I can be retested just for my own knowledge and maybe keep myself exercising.

Also I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help with my memory? I will be listening to what my girlfriend is telling me about her day and the very next day I will ask her if she has to work today and she makes this face because I guess I asked her 3 times yesterday but I forgot :-(

Holy gently caress this was alot of words just to basically say I have no new status about me.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

fyallm posted:

I forget?

Repeat after me, "Please give it to me in writing, or email. Then I will write it down."

Mind you this only works if you remember to do it, irony much, but it is about as functional a system you can get. If someone wants me to do anything I need it sent to me in email form, given to me in writing, or I have to make sure it goes on a piece of paper and a calendar ASAP (with a reminder set for a day or two in advance), or it is probably a lost cause.

If it is just someone's mundane life details they might get butt hurt about you not remembering; though just letting them know that it isn't anything personal but that your recall sucks can ease the tension a bit. Myh girlfriend had to come to accept that I would more likely than not totally forget when we talked about a few seconds/minutes/days prior. My solution was to let her know that I am grateful for her memory and that she is a lifesaver for having the patience to remind me.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

OmNom posted:

My solution was to let her know that I am grateful for her memory and that she is a lifesaver for having the patience to remind me.

This is good, and I am going to steal it :-)

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

I take the weekends off, and caffeinate with black coffee during the day, and tea in the evening. I thought of doing the yerba mate thing, but when I've tried it, it just tasted like hot wet grass to me, and I couldn't detect any stimulant effect. (I also didn't have the 'true yerba mate experience' with the gourd and all, just YM packed in a teabag and served as if it was tea.)

I'm going to try YM again at some point; there's a South American grocery store in Seattle (Mercado Latino in Pike Place Market) that serves it now, and while it'll still be 'teabag style', it'll probably be higher quality than the stuff at the hippie coffeeshop down the street.

Do you find that with only drinking caffeinated drinks on the weekend that you get withdrawal symptoms on the weekdays? I'll never forget the three days of sheer awful that were my kicking espresso cold-turkey after trying my meds the first time ever! I'd imagine I wouldn't have symptoms anywhere near as bad ever again. But, man, even symptoms that are a tenth as awful as last time is something I'd hate to go through.

Pro tip: Don't spend a good chunk of your life drinking the equivalent of 5 cups of coffee a day and then quit cold turkey. Ouch!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I end up having a little bit of caffeine during the week, because in the morning I can't wake up. A Tall splitshot Americano is enough for the whole day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murderDEATHkill
Apr 29, 2011

by angerbot

Dolemite posted:

I feel like coffee feels really gross compared to the nice clean energy from adedrall or ritalin. It definitely gives me energy, but makes it harder to focus that energy. I've definitely had some great yerbe mattes that have an empowering affect that I would recommend. Though I'm not sure if you are used to stimulants how noticable it would be. Image removed I've felt great energy from these though: http://www.nextag.com/Guayaki-Yerba-Mate-Pure-626833272/prices-html