Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
I'll be pre-ordering a GS3 tonight. I had the GS and am using a GS2 now and am still very satisfied. I just hope they didn't remove the feature to change the brightness by slowly swiping the notification area left or right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

chizad posted:

[1]: I'd made up my mind and decided on the Nexus....until my boss picked up an Evo and I got to play around with it for a bit. It's a drat sexy phone, especially the camera. Between that and playing around with a store demo unit I did see some of the signs of the multitasking issue people are complaining about, but I'm not sure if it's something that would actually affect my usage. I know it'd something I'd notice and it'd annoy me, but I don't know if it'd actually cause me any problems.

Same boat as you, in the MD/DC area waiting for LTE. I went to the store and played around with both phones side by side...and damned if I didn't think the EVO4GLTE was much more polished and snappier, and very pretty. The phone feels substantial in your hands, screen looks incredible. I love the dedicated buttons too, though this could be just a preference thing from using my 4G the last two years.

Searching around XDA for more info on rooting/custom roms/etc seems that this phone is still early on the scene and alot of development is yet to be done. I really want there to be a little more community modding happening on this phone before I take the plunge and chose this one though. I guess I'll just wait it out see what the community votes. Does anyone have any insight into how hard it is to work with this phone (in terms of modding/etc)?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I have the EVO 4G LTE and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the thing, especially the battery. The multitasking issue has not been that big of a deal, although it definitely is present.

As for the battery, here is an example. Super heavy use will drain the battery in a day, but it will last the whole day. The standby has been great. This is with some phone calls, lots of texting, and some marginal internet usage on a good signal. Wifi and data are both turned off when I'm not using it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Paul Proteus posted:

The multitasking issue has not been that big of a deal, although it definitely is present.

So my main concern with the whole multitasking issues is that I won't be able to do simple things like listen to podcasts while I am surfing the net on my phone. I'm assuming HTC is smart enough to not kill the Music app when it is running in the background, but has anyone noticed any issues with other media apps?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

traslin posted:

So my main concern with the whole multitasking issues is that I won't be able to do simple things like listen to podcasts while I am surfing the net on my phone. I'm assuming HTC is smart enough to not kill the Music app when it is running in the background, but has anyone noticed any issues with other media apps?

I don't often use the music app, but I can try to test it out later.

That said, I have had no issues with Pandora running in the background while on the Awful app or Chrome, or with just Pandora running in the background in my pocket.

The awful app will reload the page if I do something else for a few minutes, same with Chrome. Honestly the Google Play store is one of the worst offenders, if I leave it for just a few minutes it's all the way back to the front page.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

TEP is going up again? Didn't it just get raised to $8 a few months ago?

Only for LTE devices, not WiMAX or 3G devices.

traslin posted:

Barely, they are just terrible at managing unused RAM. Active background apps, like music, won't have an issue. HTC thinks that completely unused RAM is a good thing.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

900ftjesus posted:

Only for LTE devices, not WiMAX or 3G devices.

Are LTE devices more prone to breaking or something, or is this solely to offset the cost of implementing LTE?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are LTE devices more prone to breaking or something, or is this solely to offset the cost of implementing LTE?

Offset the cost of the devices.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

900ftjesus posted:

Barely, they are just terrible at managing unused RAM. Active background apps, like music, won't have an issue. HTC thinks that completely unused RAM is a good thing.

Agreed, I've streamed stuff from Music and had Pocket Casts playing in the background and done lots of other stuff without issue.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

goku chewbacca posted:

I got a promotional mailing from Sprint. $50 Sprint Referral Rewards, on a Visa prepaid card for me and for the person I refer.

All it takes is three simple steps:

1. Visit https://sprint.com/promo
2. Enter code: iL16****
3. Register and enter your contacts email addresses to invite them to join Sprint.

So, if you were thinking about joining Sprint, email me or PM me and I'll send you an email invite. After 30 days of service, we'll each get a $50 prepaid Visa card.

email: vince.landers (@at) Google's email service. Gmail .com

I sent you an email earlier about this.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

traslin posted:

So my main concern with the whole multitasking issues is that I won't be able to do simple things like listen to podcasts while I am surfing the net on my phone.

You can. I do it all the time.

This phone is loving awesome.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ehonna_disco posted:

You can. I do it all the time.

This phone is loving awesome.
I see the multitasking issues from time to time on my Evo 4G LTE, especially with webpages reloading when I swap back to the browser. It can make partial entry of forms particularly difficult or impossible. I haven't tracked any other instances of it, though I do see other programs doing little reloading things (I just haven't paid attention to which or under what circumstances).

More often, though, I run into issues where apps weren't well designed for ICS or a lack of a menu button -- my Lotus Notes Traveler App has no way for me to easily go from the body of an email back to the inbox... sometimes back takes me back, but often it just takes me "up 1 message" in my inbox, just like the left arrow.

That said, I am blown away by the display and camera on this thing, and the fact that it really isn't much bigger physically than my old Evo 4G. And since it went from 4 bottom buttons to 3, even I can reach the back button with my tiny hands because it stretches just a bit further across the phone.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For those of us still clutching on to our Epic 4Gs, there was an update to the CM9 mod today: http://epiccm.blogspot.com/

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
When I was using an ICS ROM for my Evo 3D based on the VM leak, I definitely had multitasking issues with that. I don't know if it was using the same memory management as the newer ICS phones or not, but Browser would almost always have to reload the page, Tasker was flaky at best, and Facebook would never stay in memory.

It was that latter that really drove me mad. When Facebook starts up, it polls GPS and defaults to "Top Stories", where it will generally leave GPS alone if it's still in memory and will remember my switch to "Most Recent" for the news feed otherwise.

No idea if the 4G LTE does that or not.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 3, 2014

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Are there any good Dev sites for rooted HTC Evo 4g LTEs? Normally I go to XDA-Developers, but its full of people complaining about the phone's software shortcomings.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I just went to a Sprint store to mess with an Evo. The software issue really isn't that bad. I was able to get the browser redraw sometimes, but it wasn't every time you switched back in after doing something, unlike some videos I've seen.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
Does the upcoming Galaxy S III support the new re-allocated EVDO (3g) bands that are supposedly part of network vision?

I'm thinking that might be my next phone once my upgrade becomes eligible and I can dump my Epic I've been clinging on to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark Solux posted:

Does the upcoming Galaxy S III support the new re-allocated EVDO (3g) bands that are supposedly part of network vision?

I'm thinking that might be my next phone once my upgrade becomes eligible and I can dump my Epic I've been clinging on to.

Probably, but if you have suffered with an epic I don't understand why you would suffer with another samsung.

Check phone scoop.com to be sure.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

iceslice posted:

Are there any good Dev sites for rooted HTC Evo 4g LTEs? Normally I go to XDA-Developers, but its full of people complaining about the phone's software shortcomings.

Don't worry, a ton of poo poo ROMs with bad fonts and worse colors will pop up soon.

If you want ROM support take it back and get the Nexus before you're stuck with that thing for good.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

Don't worry, a ton of poo poo ROMs with bad fonts and worse colors will pop up soon.

If you want ROM support take it back and get the Nexus before you're stuck with that thing for good.

There are already developers for the better ROMs working on the EVO LTE, including a working CM9 ROM. Sure the poo poo ROMs will be there soon but that's going to be true for every Android phone. The ROM support for the EVO LTE is actually quite amazing for how long it's been out and it will only get better. Can you honestly tell me there are no poo poo ROMs for the Nexus?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

After doing way too much cross-shopping, it looks like Sprint is my only option for a cellphone in central WI. Also, my job gives me a 20 or 21 percent discount with sprint. I'm wondering if I pick up a contract but bring my own Sprint phone instead of getting one of the subsidized ones, does that subsidy get saved for later on, say when the new iphone gets released?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, it gets saved for you to use at any time in the future.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

After doing way too much cross-shopping, it looks like Sprint is my only option for a cellphone in central WI. Also, my job gives me a 20 or 21 percent discount with sprint. I'm wondering if I pick up a contract but bring my own Sprint phone instead of getting one of the subsidized ones, does that subsidy get saved for later on, say when the new iphone gets released?

To clarify the bring your own phone option: you still sign s contract, but you retain upgrade eligibility. You then upgrade say, 5 months later it voids the first contract and it's a two year contract from that date.

Give me a PM or email, I might be able to find some stuff for you if you want me to set everything up. Jimplaysdrums at gmail.

Oh and for the nexus vs Evo LTE debate, as expected the GNexus sells terribly. I would expect decently equivalent ROM support, the Evo seems the be the first android phone since the 4S that people actually come in asking for.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh and for the nexus vs Evo LTE debate, as expected the GNexus sells terribly. I would expect decently equivalent ROM support, the Evo seems the be the first android phone since the 4S that people actually come in asking for.

This is very misleading. HTC ROM support is typically ok on the current OS if the phone sells well. The issues don't show up until the next version of Android comes out. That's when "[ROM]JELLYBEAN-DAILYDRIVER [no camera,4g,bt]" shows up. Then you're pretending you don't want the camera to work while people reverse engineer the custom Sense drivers or wait for the official ROM.

The Nexus will have better ROM support for the next 2+ years than the Evo.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

The Nexus will have better ROM support for the next 2+ years than the Evo.

As shown by the fact that there is still no official ICS ROM for the Sprint Evo 3D, and the unofficial ones have signal stability and 3g speed issues.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

This is insane but I agree with you no surprise. Second I am glad to see that the EVO name means something still (even after the disappointment of the 3D sales).

Still it seems like the SGIII has a lot of hype right now. I have a feeling it will be the highest selling Android phone by year end. It seems Samsung has learn something from Apple in building hype. Also nice that Samsung seems to be enforcing the basic same name across all carriers.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

iceslice posted:

Looks like flipz has his fresh rom updated: http://geekfor.me/lte/403/fresh-evo-4g-lte-500/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

To clarify the bring your own phone option: you still sign s contract, but you retain upgrade eligibility. You then upgrade say, 5 months later it voids the first contract and it's a two year contract from that date.

Give me a PM or email, I might be able to find some stuff for you if you want me to set everything up. Jimplaysdrums at gmail.

Awesome I'll hit you up pretty soon then. Can't wait to get off my current carrier.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably, but if you have suffered with an epic I don't understand why you would suffer with another samsung.

Check phone scoop.com to be sure.

Looks like it does support CMDA on 800.

The Epic got a lot better when CM7/CM9 were introduced on it. Remarkably I haven't had to get a replacement yet on this thing.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I noticed the Sprint Galaxy S3 has LTE 1900, while the Verizon version has the better LTE 750. I had thought Sprint was getting a chunk of the low frequency spectrum? Or is it just the S3 that won't be able to use it? This seems to imply you won't be able to roam on LTE.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

blargle posted:

I noticed the Sprint Galaxy S3 has LTE 1900, while the Verizon version has the better LTE 750. I had thought Sprint was getting a chunk of the low frequency spectrum? Or is it just the S3 that won't be able to use it? This seems to imply you won't be able to roam on LTE.

Sprint has had a chunk of low frequency for a long time. It's currently in use by iden (nextel) devices and I believe some new cdma devices. I wouldn't expect to see any lte device on those bands until late next year.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

fyallm posted:

Looks like flipz has his fresh rom updated: http://geekfor.me/lte/403/fresh-evo-4g-lte-500/

This is great, I ran Fresh on my OG Evo forever and loved it.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Giblet posted:

Sprint has had a chunk of low frequency for a long time. It's currently in use by iden (nextel) devices and I believe some new cdma devices. I wouldn't expect to see any lte device on those bands until late next year.

IIRC, the plan with Network Vision is to deploy CDMA voice on iDEN first for improved voice coverage and then later on start running LTE there as well.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

blargle posted:

This seems to imply you won't be able to roam on LTE.

You probably wouldn't even if it was technically capable. Verizon has coverage everywhere Sprint doesn't and Sprint has almost nothing to offer Verizon in terms of coverage so I doubt Verizon is going enter some sort of agreement that Sprint could afford.

Gokiman
Apr 4, 2009
Is there a way for my text messages to go to google voice and my EVO 4g LTE. It was doing it by itself then just stopped.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

chizad posted:

IIRC, the plan with Network Vision is to deploy CDMA voice on iDEN first for improved voice coverage and then later on start running LTE there as well.

This is great news because if there's one thing I use my phone for, it's calling people. :suicide:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

This is great, I ran Fresh on my OG Evo forever and loved it.

I agree, it was like the best stuff from sense without all the poo poo, and a few little tweaks here and there.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Sneaky Flipz.. he abandoned his Evo 3D rom 6 months ago and suddenly pops up with the new Evo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gokiman posted:

Is there a way for my text messages to go to google voice and my EVO 4g LTE. It was doing it by itself then just stopped.

What's it doing now?