Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

This was a mediocre episode. Bill Bradley should have spoken up more and the CNBC women should have spoken less.

Next week Paul Krugman and Arthur Laffer are on the show. I hope they're both on the panel and Krugman strangles the life out of him.

Also the return of Kevin Nealon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Pretty please Bill, make much larger bets with that CNBC lady that you can win such that she can no longer afford the air or cab fare to return on the program again----ugh! As usual, being constantly demonstrated wrong/ignorant is one things, but the smug factor might as well be smog floating around the studio.

A real twist of irony next week would be Krugman bringing a portable bathtub with him and at least drown the drat chart in effigy.

I still maintain a Scahill/Sharlet/Taibbi panel would be ever so delightful, even if it felt like Scahill didn't get to speak up as much as usual even if he was point man on shutting down CNBC.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Now I'm thinking that the producers purposely dumb down the panel so that it's more entertaining. You've got loving Dan Rather and Bill Bradley, why not put them both on the panel? Why so unserious? The panel "regulars" are mostly those that are dumb enough to return and make themselves look silly while promoting some book. Real Time can really elevate itself, but I think they're comfortable sticking to where they are for now.

Also, Maher probably isn't smart enough to deal with the Rathers and the like in real debates and discussions, but he doesn't have to be. Just throw out the topics, sit back, and interject occasionally.

When Rather talked about innovation during Overtime, it's pretty much Neil Degrasse Tyson has been preaching to everyone, including that committee overseeing NASA funding. Get Tyson back to promote his book and elevate the level of discourse. Getting really tired of seeing the token woman/conservative/woman+conservative.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I didn't mind the episode too much. Two things mentioned were worth longer discussion. The continuing rising death toll in Mexico that should be on the news everyday (until drugs are decriminalized). And to a lesser extent the ouster of Dick Lugar (senator from Indiana). While he's mostly a conservative it goes to show you that if you're critical of Iraq/Bush or try to work with the president at all you could be in a lot of trouble.

I saw Lugar give a speech back a few years ago (in front of a predominantly military audience) and he was very critical on Iraq so it's not surprising he lost the primary this time around.

Former Human posted:

Also the return of Kevin Nealon.

The last time he was on was monumental. That 20-25 minutes was worth an Emmy (or whatever awards are available for a guest appearance).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
That woman is the loving worst!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Zogo posted:

The last time he was on was monumental. That 20-25 minutes was worth an Emmy (or whatever awards are available for a guest appearance).

Amen. Probably the hardest I ever laughed at this show ever was his summer(?) appearance last year when he suddenly threw to commercial mid-panel.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zogo posted:

Any idea when it was? I'd like to look it up on HBO go

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

blue squares posted:

Any idea when it was? I'd like to look it up on HBO go

Yea, episode 217 (6/17/11). Also, Ray Kurzweil was on that show as the interview guest.
I don't think HBO GO has it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm guessing by the lack of discussion it wasn't a great episode this week?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

I'm guessing by the lack of discussion it wasn't a great episode this week?

Both economists were reasonable (for a change) and didn't politicize the debate immediately or say anything really outlandish or controversial. They both acknowledged that this country is in a depression.

The opening guest interview was trying to be serious but Maher was throwing out a lot of jokes.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Talk shows of all sorts generally promote more discussion when they are terrible and make you angry, thus conservative radio.

This was an entertaining show with reasonable guests who had a sense of a humor, which is when Maher is at its best.

I did think Krugman wiped the floor with Laffer though, just because he could get his points across without getting jargony and Laffer sounded like he was bullshitting when he couldn't do the same.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Nealon killed it like usual. Bill was really inconsiderate with the first guest, someone who was there for a pretty serious topic. This is someone Bill follows too, on Twitter or something, so maybe he thought he could be all chummy with him. But it seemed frustrating to be in the guest's position.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005

Dudebro posted:

Nealon killed it like usual. Bill was really inconsiderate with the first guest, someone who was there for a pretty serious topic. This is someone Bill follows too, on Twitter or something, so maybe he thought he could be all chummy with him. But it seemed frustrating to be in the guest's position.

Totally agree. That guy looked really annoyed with Bill, and he never was able to finish the topic of conversation, Bill just moved onto something new once he made a joke.

He also seemed to be making fun of that gift right in front of the guy as well

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked seeing Krugman on the show, but with two economists on the panel I was really surprised that they didn't talk about the Eurozone and Greece's inevitable departure from it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

fart blood posted:

I liked seeing Krugman on the show, but with two economists on the panel I was really surprised that they didn't talk about the Eurozone and Greece's inevitable departure from it.

The got into it a little during Overtime, but I agree, I was hoping thereŽd been more discussion of Europe, and Greece in particular.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

"What does occupying a park accomplish other than forcing anonymous gay sex back into the bathouses?" *cut to John Waters*

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Really good episode this week, not super funny but very informative.

Why the gently caress is HBOs website such a steaming pile of poo poo? Overtime just won't load for me at all, in any browser. When are people going to realize that these all flash sites are terrible and abandon them? For a company that produces such great content HBO sure seems to be about ten years behind the curve in the online world.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Maher was spot on with Occupy Wallstreet. What a sad case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Maher was spot on with Occupy Wallstreet. What a sad case.
Well he kind of ignored some of the issues that cause Occupy problems. One being that the group is made up of a lot of diverse people, so it's hard to get a consensus. Second is that there doesn't seem to be a major emphasis in the group towards co-opting the Democratic Party like the Tea Party did to the GOP. I would also add that he ignores how hard police have been cracking down on Occupy, making it difficult for them to do a whole lot.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would also add that he ignores how hard police have been cracking down on Occupy, making it difficult for them to do a whole lot.

Wasn't that his point though? That the people involved in OWS should be doing things that police don't have to crack down on (ie camping out in parks) and instead be more involved in the political process?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

porkfriedrice posted:

Wasn't that his point though? That the people involved in OWS should be doing things that police don't have to crack down on (ie camping out in parks) and instead be more involved in the political process?

Considering he was railing on how the political process is set up earlier in the show (money, corporations out of state, senate seating etc...), there aren't that many other options that OWS can realistically do.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Maher also missed the bit where massive astroturfing essentially co-opted the "original" tea party, IIRC, which then has gone on to "co-opt" the GOP---it is almost like some sort of odd money laundering/recycle really that dooms us all. There's no "Soros" figure backing OWS versus the Koch bros and the like so it isn't much of a contest, nor do they really have a major news network going to bat for them to a substantial degree.

Occupy has an inherently harder thing to do even discounting all of that---much harder to get poison out of a well than to poison it in the first place.

Still, a nice episode lacking any idiot parade unlike oh so many this season.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Bit of an unappealing episode this week. Nothing too major. Just...there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

Bit of an unappealing episode this week. Nothing too major. Just...there.

The last two weeks haven't had anything substantial for me really. I suppose the Obama hologram was okay. Wasn't as funny as that Karab Amabo they did a while ago though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJEdusXIEA

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
On the flip(?) side though, the next ep features the return of Gillespie...

I'd probably prefer more subdued ones to that, but maybe this time somebody will lose it on his sorry self.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'd probably prefer more subdued ones to that, but maybe this time somebody will lose it on his sorry self.

I don't mind Gillespie although it's easy to see why most hate him. Libertarianistic, aggressively and intellectually arrogant and extremely contrarian.

Also, leather jacket.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I thought this was a better-than-average episode. First guest, good. Panel, not horrible and actually good, I'd say. Alan Thicke was hillarious. I liked how they talked about commencement speeches and this new generation.

Also, that dude who plays Obama, Reggie (?), did a great dance in the credits.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Second is that there doesn't seem to be a major emphasis in the group towards co-opting the Democratic Party like the Tea Party did to the GOP.

I would also add that he ignores how hard police have been cracking down on Occupy, making it difficult for them to do a whole lot.

Occupy had no interest in bullying the existing political system and rejected it as being useless, corrupt.

The Tea Party on the hand wanted to bully and do everything in their power to get their candidates in office.

So pretty much ended OWS up being another fringe populist history footnote movement without enough muscle/clout to influence candidates or actual elections.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'd be interested in Mark Ruffalo being on the panel. Looking forward to that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I dunno if anyone else but me subscribes to the Real Time podcast but they always upload "2 minute Maher" which is him trying out the week's monologue the day before and sometimes they're compete total dogshit. The one from last weeks might be my favorite ever because of how hard he bombed.

I love Bill but god drat it is funny hearing someone like him who doesn't give a gently caress bomb. I don't think he kept any of it for the actual show.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I have no idea what Kirk Douglas is saying.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Former Human posted:

That was really painful.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
e:.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 27, 2023

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Gillespie was incredibly annoying. If the market asks for labels they will get labels on their food... Right after a point about how 9 out of 10 people want it.

I don't care about genetically modified food but Jesus Libertarians are annoying.

Rachel trying to say she reports the news and doesn't offer opinion on it was pretty entertaining, even if they other guy was a giant rear end in a top hat.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 23, 2012

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Weak episode. Kirk Douglas was unintelligible. Mort Zuckerman barely said three words. Rachel was being self-conscious and sketchy. Gillespie couldn't shut up. Since when did libertarian ideology throw out the need for open information and civil rights? At some point it devolved into an even more corporatist entity than the Republicans. Yeah we don't need environmental regulations or food labels, and fracking is safe, right? Big deal, so you can light your tap water on fire, it's still better than solar power!!!

Also Rachel dodging direct questions like that was unlike her. She should have said Romneycare/Obamacare didn't go far enough and we should have single payer. There, conversation over. That was a weird moment.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Former Human posted:

Yeah I'm kind of shocked he was on in the state he was in. You can't understand a goddamn thing he says.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Former Human posted:

Also Rachel dodging direct questions like that was unlike her.
She was being pestered the question of what republicans she likes more than democrats with the pretense that either way the answer would prove that she only picks sides on things based on the party, not the issues (which it obviously would not). He just wanted her to play into justifying his false equivalency that democrats are as bad and partisan as republicans. Gillespie is such an rear end.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Hogburto posted:

She was being pestered the question of what republicans she likes more than democrats with the pretense that either way the answer would prove that she only picks sides on things based on the party, not the issues (which it obviously would not). He just wanted her to play into justifying his false equivalency that democrats are as bad and partisan as republicans. Gillespie is such an rear end.

That was the first incident, which Bill answered quite well in her defense, but later Gillespie asked what Rachel thought of Romneycare and her answer was literally "dude you don't know me" and "leave me alone." That was pretty silly.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Wouldn't the ideal answer be something like "actually Romneycare isn't so bad, and it is a lot like Obama's plan and Romney distances himself from his own plan now because of this so doesn't that show you how badly he panders to whoever can help him currently?"

I haven't seen it yet because it's not on HBOGO but am I assuming the context of the exchange correctly? Did she really not pounce on this softball argument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
e:.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 27, 2023