Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

shrughes posted:

If you sell laptops without a VGA port you're basically guaranteeing people they can plug their laptop into any monitor. We use VGA connectors at work, plugging them into Samsung Syncmasters, because our computers have only one DVI output, and the quality is indistinguishable.

I find VGA to be terribly unreliable. Even with projectors. I'm often in a meeting when someone with a Lenovo notebook w/ VGA out (which I can only assume Lenovo sources from some sort of time-travel vortex from 1995) and it doesn't work. Just displays seizure inducing crap on the projector. I can hook an mDP->DVI converter from my Air to the projector and it works every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

So I just started a new job, and I've decided to reward myself with a new MacBook Air when they make their (assumed) appearance next week.

I currently have a late-2008 MacBook Pro that is failing rapidly, what will be the best way to transfer my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to the Air? They're about 52gb and 3gb respectively.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just share the Music and Pictures folder. You cold use AirDrop to make it even easier with Lion but that adds encryption overhead. I've found AFP to be more reliable for large transfers.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Plus I don't think AirDrop would be supported on his old MBP (assuming it has Lion), but I could be wrong. In any case it'd probably be the slowest option, based on my experience with it.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Plus I don't think AirDrop would be supported on his old MBP (assuming it has Lion), but I could be wrong. In any case it'd probably be the slowest option, based on my experience with it.

AirDrop works fine on this computer, but I imagine transferring 55gb over it would take a while.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

If you go to chrome://plugins you will see that it has two versions of flash that it can use, the one inside of chrome.app and the system-wide one in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. It defaults to the bult-in version of flash when both plugins are enabled, but if you disable that you can use the same version that you use in other browsers.
Thanks for this, great tip. It doesn't help though. :( I won't go into specifics since this isn't the right thread for it, but thanks anyway.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

ShoeFly posted:

AirDrop works fine on this computer, but I imagine transferring 55gb over it would take a while.

The fastest and easiest way would be an external hard drive if you've got one, or gigabit ethernet failing that. You'll be waiting for a while if you need to do it wireless.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

The fastest and easiest way would be an external hard drive if you've got one, or gigabit ethernet failing that. You'll be waiting for a while if you need to do it wireless.

You can't Ethernet with a MacBook Air.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sure you can, just not gigabit.

I completely forgot they had that adapter. Wow.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

You can't Ethernet with a MacBook Air.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

I might be able to scrounge up an external drive, that sounds like a much better idea!

I doubt I'll ever be using an Ethernet connection on the Air, so the dongle isn't really worth purchasing. Especially at AU$29.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Sure you can, the big 27" display will be a great bonus too :v:

There's also a 'gigabit' USB adapter you can buy from some Japanese company on amazon that will push data at around the maximum USB speed (200+Mbps), which is not too bad if you really want some wired LAN connection. Keep in mind that a properly setup 802.11n is around that speed too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The wife needs a new computer, so we went to the Apple store today so she could decide what size Macbook Air we should get her after the updates next week.... Overheard one of the Apple Store employees saying "I just sold a guy a $2,500 computer, he's going to be so pissed on Monday."

As a joke I left Mac Rumors up on one of the laptops we were looking at and saw a staff member come up and change it. So do they even tell the employees anything, or are they internally left in the dark like the rest of us?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ShoeFly posted:

I might be able to scrounge up an external drive, that sounds like a much better idea!

Not to chastise you, but if you own a Mac, which unlike PCs, can boot from an external drive, and you use a computer for work, it is basically inexcusable not to keep an up-to-date clone of your internal drive anyway.

Get an 500 GB external, partition it to a clone section and a Time machine section, and you will never have to miss more than a day's worth of hassle getting back to work.

It seems overkill, until your internal drive dies the night before some deadline. Documents can be backed up to DropBox or SugarSync, but the big time suck is resetting your work environment on the computer.

Keep a current clone, and it is seamless. You could even get your whole computer stolen, and take you clone to boot up a brand new mchine into your already set-up work environment as long as your system is current.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Astro7x posted:

The wife needs a new computer, so we went to the Apple store today so she could decide what size Macbook Air we should get her after the updates next week.... Overheard one of the Apple Store employees saying "I just sold a guy a $2,500 computer, he's going to be so pissed on Monday."

As a joke I left Mac Rumors up on one of the laptops we were looking at and saw a staff member come up and change it. So do they even tell the employees anything, or are they internally left in the dark like the rest of us?

They are retail employees making just above minimum wage. They don't know anything and just go off Macrumors.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I know this is the hardware thread, however with the updates on Monday, do we figure they may release Mountain Lion at the same time?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

I know this is the hardware thread, however with the updates on Monday, do we figure they may release Mountain Lion at the same time?

I don't think that's likely. We've only been issued Developer Previews at this point, no sign of release candidates that I've seen or read about.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

kapalama posted:

Not to chastise you, but if you own a Mac, which unlike PCs, can boot from an external drive, and you use a computer for work, it is basically inexcusable not to keep an up-to-date clone of your internal drive anyway.

Good thing I don't use a computer for work then. My notebook is for watching movies, organising my music and photos, and web browsing. Which is the main reason for going with an Air, this 15-inch MBP is a bit oversized for what I do, especially considering I travel a lot.

Edit: I'm using CCC now to clone my drive now anyway, it'll save me copying stuff over later on I guess.

ShoeFly fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 10, 2012

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010
The Apple Store is down. :supaburn:

Yea, probably nothing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Racist posted:

There's that little plist trick to enable AirDrop to look over all network interfaces (rather than just WiFi Direct or whatever).

Martytoof posted:

I don't think that's likely. We've only been issued Developer Previews at this point, no sign of release candidates that I've seen or read about.
Might be like Lion, which I think had a release candidate at WWDC with release date in a month or so. I could be remembering completely wrong though :shobon:, I just remember thinking it seemed really soon then, I could see them pulling another quick release like that again.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I think it's likely we'll see entire computer backups in iCloud announced, in a similar way to iOS devices now and borrowing from Chrome OS.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Give me more Siri integration. I'm one of the consumers it just works for and I find it fascinating.

Asking my phone who directed a movie is one of the random and cool things that this device can just do.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It's nice that they will give the iPad SIRI (looking forward to it) but has it been confirmed that iOS6 will include SIRI on the iPhone 4? I'd bet people who were going to upgrade to the 4S for SIRI has plateaued, so it would stand to reason they would just integrate SIRI across all Apple mobile devices at this point, no?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's still a selling point for the 4S, which other than Siri, doesn't have that many improvements over iPhone 4. So I doubt iPhone 4 will ever get Siri.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hotsauce posted:

It's nice that they will give the iPad SIRI (looking forward to it) but has it been confirmed that iOS6 will include SIRI on the iPhone 4? I'd bet people who were going to upgrade to the 4S for SIRI has plateaued, so it would stand to reason they would just integrate SIRI across all Apple mobile devices at this point, no?
Early adopter 4 owners should be upgrading to the new device this year anyway. It's 2 years (and soon to be 2 generations) old now. That's basically EOL as far as new features go when it comes to iPhones.

edit: wait what the gently caress this isn't the iPhone thread

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Well good thing Mountain Lion is rumored to bring voice stuff to the Mac! (may or may not include Siri though...or course this isn't the software thread either :v:)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I know in the past they've done back-to-school deals with the computers, where you used to get an iPod Shuffle or gift cards or something along those lines. I can't imagine those would be offered tomorrow though. Does anyone know the restrictions on those deals, or when they start being offered? Basically, I was wondering if it was worth it until those offers generally kick in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Usually September. The restriction is that they are technically only for higher education students/staff/faculty. They don't really check if you buy through the online education store, though you do need ID or a university email address if you do it in-store.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Last year it was a $100 iTunes gift card rather than an iPod subsidy. I got my GC when I bought the MBA at launch last July.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I really, really, really hope the new pros have dual thunderbolt ports.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I bought a 13" Macbook Air 6 months ago and now I feel like crap. :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Early adopter 4 owners should be upgrading to the new device this year anyway. It's 2 years (and soon to be 2 generations) old now. That's basically EOL as far as new features go when it comes to iPhones.

Wouldn't it be next year considering the contracts are for 3 years?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Wouldn't it be next year considering the contracts are for 3 years?
Most US telecoms are 2 year contracts, and many offer a fully subsidized upgrade ~18 months. And again, this isn't the iPhone thread.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

spaceship posted:

I really, really, really hope the new pros have dual thunderbolt ports.

That's going to be weird, with the way video cards work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

That's going to be weird, with the way video cards work.

Uh...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

awesome-express posted:

I bought a 13" Macbook Air 6 months ago and now I feel like crap. :(

So did I. Big deal. Chances are if you have the Air, you're not doing anything with it that's going to be greatly affected by upgrading.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astro7x posted:

The employees are kept in the dark. Even the ones who work at Cupertino. I remember being at MW2005 after the Keynote and talking to a dude who worked at Infinity Loop, and I asked him whether he knew what was coming out, or if any of his guesses were correct. The answer to both was "no".

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

So did I. Big deal. Chances are if you have the Air, you're not doing anything with it that's going to be greatly affected by upgrading.

Sold my 2011 Air two weeks ago. :cool:

And bought a Windows PC with the cash.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I don't follow mac stuff very closely - when there is a new hardware release do the refurb/used markets typically get glutted with older models as ten million hipsters all upgrade at once?

Basically my nephew is going to turn seven in a few months and the family was thinking about pooling gift money together to get him a laptop. Both his parents are mac folks so it would make sense to go that route, but it seems kind of insane to drop a thousand bucks on a new MBA when all he really needs is the Apple equivalent of a cheap-o netbook. If the timing works out to score a decent refurb model that's 2-3 years old that'd be great.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Refurb prices don't change until the new models hit refurb in about 3 months. Currently the least expensive MBAs are 2010 C2D 11.6" models for $699, which seems a silly price to pay for what will be a processor architecture 4 generations old.

Watch the used market instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Watch the used market instead.

SA Mart at least, there have beeen several decent Macs lately.