Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I exclusively burn Ozark Oak charcoal, and it's 4.98 a bag at the grocery store.

Keep meaning to go out to the plant they make it at to just beg them to let me buy 500 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I use the Mexican mesquite charcoal which is cheap as gently caress and throw soaked chips on top for extra flavor.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So we cooked a boston butt last weekend, turned out great. I go grocery shopping on Monday, see ribs on sale and buy them, say we'll smoke them this weekend.

Fast forward we buy another butt, two racks of ribs, and some turkey drum sticks to smoke. WE are smoking the butt overnight in shifts, and the rest afterwards. From smoking a dinner for three into a gathering of people. How did this happen?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

So we cooked a boston butt last weekend, turned out great. I go grocery shopping on Monday, see ribs on sale and buy them, say we'll smoke them this weekend.

Fast forward we buy another butt, two racks of ribs, and some turkey drum sticks to smoke. WE are smoking the butt overnight in shifts, and the rest afterwards. From smoking a dinner for three into a gathering of people. How did this happen?

Same thing happens here ... if you smoke it, they will come!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Smoked meatloaf. Finished under the broiler to cook the sauce on top

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Is about 170 degrees a normal temp for a boston butt roast to stall at? I have been cooking it for 8-9 hours now at 225. I thought it would have been done by now.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Is about 170 degrees a normal temp for a boston butt roast to stall at? I have been cooking it for 8-9 hours now at 225. I thought it would have been done by now.

The 'stall' usually happens between 150-160, but the temp doesn't go up super quickly afterwards, especially if you dot foil the butt. The higher the temperature of the meat, the more energy required to further raise it by 1 degree, so it's always slower as the temp goes up. The foiling technique sacrifices crisp bark for cooking speed.

I did a 6 pounder last week, unfoiled, and it took 14.5 hours at 225.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
So I've got a 15lb Bottom Sirloin that I'm going to smoke this weekend. I think I was going to do a combination of Oak and Hickory for the wood, but I'm wondering what a good rub would be for this. I've seen some smoking forums recommend the tradition Salt, Pepper and Garlic but no one says what ratios to mix them in for? Anyone have a suggestion or alternative?

Also at 15lbs I'm figuring it's 12 hours of smoking time around 250 degrees? Does that sound right anyone else? I'll probably foil it towards the end just so I don't have to wait so long. Since it's beef I just need to get it to 140 right?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Smoked a shoulder over memorial day weekend. It ruled. Question though, most places I read say to put the smoke wood in with the meat intially and then never replenish it. Other sources say to toss more wood on as soon as the visible white smoke stops pouring out. Which is it? Intial only or keep tossing it on?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

McSpankWich posted:

Smoked a shoulder over memorial day weekend. It ruled. Question though, most places I read say to put the smoke wood in with the meat intially and then never replenish it. Other sources say to toss more wood on as soon as the visible white smoke stops pouring out. Which is it? Intial only or keep tossing it on?

Only the first 3 hours or so really matter as far as smoke goes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astronaut Jones posted:

So I smoked a nearly 11lb butt this weekend, my first attempt. Two days prior, I applied yellow mustard and a liberal application of rub and wrapped it up in plastic wrap.

It turned out great, but it didn't have any bark on it, nor was it black when I foiled it (at like 150F, it stalled for a long time and I was worried). It just looked like a big brown chunk of pork.

I smoked it at 225F, and it took 11 hours to get to 200F. I sprayed rum and apple juice on it every hour or two for the first 3-4 hours until I foiled it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have applied more rub prior to cooking? I'm thinking the lack of rub (which did have sugar in it) is the reason why I didn't end up with much in the way of bark.

In my experience there is little to be gained from applying rub to a shoulder in advance. Besides the moisture loss salt causes, I felt it added an extra "hammy" flavor to the meat.

Wrapping in foil accelerates cooking time but will kill your bark. I never bother with it.

If you want to make sure you have extra juice and flavor, you would be better off injecting rather than mopping (another bark killer).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BraveUlysses posted:

If you want to make sure you have extra juice and flavor, you would be better off injecting rather than mopping (another bark killer).

I gotta disagree with this. The moisture from the mop will burn off after an hour or so and I've found it keeps the meat on the outside from drying excessively.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Pork butt in my flower pot smoker last month turned out pretty great (and leftovers make the most awesome loving chili, ever). I was wondering, though, is there really any reason to cook the thing COMPLETELY in that sort of smoker? That is, if the meat stops absorbing smoke flavor a few hours into it, and if I'm not really going to get any bark from an electric smoker, is there really any reason not to just smoke it for a few hours then finish in the oven? I wouldn't really care but I think my smoker has been running a little on the hot side.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

^ I know a lot of people that do that. Smoke it until ~140 and then move it to the oven until 190.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I finally got a smoker:

But no, it didn't turn out so well when I tried to use it, this balcony with the solid concrete rail seems to gently caress up the air flow something fierce. I couldn't even get the paper properly burning and I was just left with a lot of ash that dirtied up the balcony something fierce, which again showed the flaws with my plan. Also it's probably against the rules here or something and I can just bet my neighbors will complain too.

gently caress I hate living in the city so much. At least I can take it to my parents summer cottage and go there for barbecuing but that's gonna a 50 mile one way ride for BBQ then.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 11, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Buy an extension cord and an electric fan :v:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Scott Bakula posted:

Buy an extension cord and an electric fan :v:

Hmm could actually work. The ash and smoke is still an issue though, it's really an outdoors activity. Some day I will own a house.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I use paper towel sprayed with Pam to start my chimney. I find it generates a lot less ash compared to newspaper.

Second, with a wooden deck you really should have something under that WSM to catch hot coals. Different times I've seen hot ash fall out the air holes in the bottom and I'm sure I've dropped a hot coal when transferring from the chimney to the bowl.

I've seen people use concrete patio stones but personally I use analuminum water heater pan. It's possible you can also find a BBQ mat but make sure you get one rated for charcoal. Most mats you'll find are meant for use under a propane grill to catch grease spills.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I finally got a smoker:

But no, it didn't turn out so well when I tried to use it, this balcony with the solid concrete rail seems to gently caress up the air flow something fierce. I couldn't even get the paper properly burning and I was just left with a lot of ash that dirtied up the balcony something fierce, which again showed the flaws with my plan. Also it's probably against the rules here or something and I can just bet my neighbors will complain too.

gently caress I hate living in the city so much. At least I can take it to my parents summer cottage and go there for barbecuing but that's gonna a 50 mile one way ride for BBQ then.

Any reason why you can't set it up down below next to the bikes? Grab a cooler full of your favorite libation, cook some meat, read some books and probably make a new friend or two!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the best way to stop the water tray being an absolute nightmare to clean after smoking? Put something else under the meat lined with foil so it can just be thrown in the bin once its done?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Scott Bakula posted:

Whats the best way to stop the water tray being an absolute nightmare to clean after smoking? Put something else under the meat lined with foil so it can just be thrown in the bin once its done?

Yeah, I use a drip pan (foil pans work fine). If you put a little water in it at the beginning (to prevent burning), you can usually turn the de-fatted drippings into something useful. I usually mix it with some BBQ sauce and simmer it on the stove for a few minutes and serve with the meat.

As far as the guy with the WSM on the balcony goes, I'm pretty sure electric smokers were invented for you. :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Any reason why you can't set it up down below next to the bikes? Grab a cooler full of your favorite libation, cook some meat, read some books and probably make a new friend or two!

This is in the city. There's probably a hundred apartments in this house alone and I know there are some weirdos in some of them. I dunno, I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving this piece of equipment down there for even 10 minutes, especially not if it has food I am meant to eat in it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

GigaFool posted:

As far as the guy with the WSM on the balcony goes, I'm pretty sure electric smokers were invented for you. :)

Yeah I guess, I really want to work with good old coals and fires though. If it doesn't work out here, it'll have a nice home near the sea. Perfect place to spend a day or more just chilling with a smoker and something to read.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Stringent posted:

I gotta disagree with this. The moisture from the mop will burn off after an hour or so and I've found it keeps the meat on the outside from drying excessively.

Ok, ill give it another try next time I make some shoulder.

Ill do one unmopped and one mopped...any suggestions for mop liquid and procedure?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

BraveUlysses posted:

Ok, ill give it another try next time I make some shoulder.

Ill do one unmopped and one mopped...any suggestions for mop liquid and procedure?

1/3rd rum, 2/3rds apple juice?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I did two shoulders and two racks on my WSM this past Friday. All of it rubbed with my own rub mix (brown sugar, salt, chile powder, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne, cumin, and pepper). The ribs came out a little over done (pulling away from the bone), but I blame that on the ribs my friend got.

The shoulders were on for about 12-13 hours (9.5lb and 11lb), pulled when internal temp hit 185 for a while. I chopped them instead of pulling them because I like it better.

I made an Eastern NC style BBQ sauce for one of them using Ruhlman's recipe from here. The other I let people use whatever they wanted on. Both turned out great.

Here's a shot of the cut shoulder:

And one of the racks of ribs

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Is that just a weird glare? Why is that rack grey? Looks awesome though. I'm going to do a few racks of ribs in my WSM in a week or so, how long did you have them go for?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I don't know why they would look gray. It was overcast outside when I took the picture, so maybe a weird glare like you said.

I did those for about 6 hrs total. 3 / 2 wrapped / 1 and they were over done. I probably should have done 2 / 1 / 1 or something closer to that.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yeah, 3/2/1 for ribs is too much. I usually do 2/1.5/1 or so.

Also, don't mop your pork shoulders! All you're doing is slowing down the cooking process.

I think I linked this before but the BBQ stall has been proven to be evaporative cooling and not the collagen rendering, which was the most popular theory. By mopping a shoulder you're letting heat out and letting air in, both of which are going to screw up your temps, and you're just adding more moisture to the roast which needs to evaporate before it can continue cooking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719.html

quote:

Based on Blonder's data, I now recommend that you wrap pork shoulders and beef briskets at about 150°F, after about 2 hours in the smoke. By then it has absorbed as much smoke as is needed. If you wrap it then, the meat powers right through the stall on a steady curve and takes much less time. It also retains more juice.

Ball says that he is now following a similar protocol in competition. He won't say what temp he cooks at on his MAK pellet smoker, but he is now foiling when his bark is the deep mahogany color he wants, usually somewhere between 140 and 150°F. He leaves it in the foil all the way up to the end, takes it out of the cooker, lets it come down in temp to about 175°F so it stops cooking, and then wraps it in a towel and puts it in an insulated holding box called a cambro for an hour or two to rest (see my article on how you can rig a faux cambro).

There is a problem with this approach for some cooks: The meat does not have a hard chewy bark on the exterior. Ball says that a hard bark is emblematic of overcooked meat. He wants a dark, flavorful, tender bark. But if you want a hard bark, the solution is to pull the meat out of the foil when it hits 180°F or so, and hit it with higher heat to dry the exterior and darken the rub. Or just skip the foil altogether, do things the old fashioned tried and true way, and just be patient. Either way, the results are superb.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Why do I feel dirty for posting this?

Before the cut:

^ That is what happens when you get lazy about making sure your brown sugar is not mixed in well, although it was kind of a burnt sugar zip to it. All is well when smoking.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 17, 2012

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
We got my dad a bge for fathers day and now I'm all kinds of jealous.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

We got my dad a bge for fathers day and now I'm all kinds of jealous.

They are amazing! Set up a Craigslist auto search and you can find a used one at a great price.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Found this fella on craigslist for :10bux:, works like a charm. :D

Now I have an incentive to deal with that cherry tree I've been meaning to bring down..

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

coyo7e posted:

Now I have an incentive to deal with that cherry tree I've been meaning to bring down..

Get some grill paint on that poo poo, it'll dress right up.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I suggest painting it to look like R2D2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I was able to score a 18.5" Weber smoky mountain off of craigslist for $50 this past week. I cooked up some spare ribs yesterday as my first smoke, they came out tasty but not perfect. I want to try brisket next, I'm in Texas where brisket is how BBQ is judged. I'm excited about the prospects.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Brisket can be tricky so don't be disappointed if it turns out tough the first time.

What was wrong with your ribs? Also good job on the WSM score. I'd buy a 50 buck WSM any day of the week.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

coyo7e posted:

I bought one of these new from Home Depot. It works pretty well for me. Put lava rocks (buy a new bag the ones that it comes with are crap) on top of the electric element if you haven't already. oh and don't use an extension cord.

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

I was able to score a 18.5" Weber smoky mountain off of craigslist for $50 this past week. I cooked up some spare ribs yesterday as my first smoke, they came out tasty but not perfect. I want to try brisket next, I'm in Texas where brisket is how BBQ is judged. I'm excited about the prospects.

Make sure you have a digital probe thermometer, and read/follow this link:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

The poster above me that said brisket is difficult is totally right-- my first brisket tasted awful but the second one I did was tons better. Make sure you start early.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well got my smoker away from the city now so I can use it, spent the last 2½ days at this place and made some ribs.

I just put a homemade dryrub on the ribs that I had slathered in mustard first and let them be for about 5 hours in the smoker. What's this about wrapping ribs?

Anyway these came out really good, bone easily pulled away from the rib and that's how it should be IMO. Midsummers up this weekend and thats a big thing in Finland, plan to buy a lot more ribs.

It would be interesting to try and make more than one recipe and see which ones turns out best.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

foiling them for the last 20-30 minutes helps the ribs come up in temp quite a bit and will cause them to get that "fall off the bone" tenderness to them. Personally I hate having them that mushy and it will cost you points in most comps.

I just cleaned out my 22" WSM the other day and a buddy will be in town soon, so it'll be brisket, shoulder, and ribfest in my back yard. My last brisket came out decent but I needed to let it rest longer. Will get some pictures up next time I cook.

E: Anyone looking for a good pocket thermometer should invest in a Thermapen (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/) I love mine to death and the thing is super fast and accurate. Got it as a gift from a guy at a KCBS meet.