Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well, unless it's something special about this laptop's VGA system, VGA can drive 1920 * 1080 without issue. If it is limited to 1600*1200 for some reason (Lack of video memory maybe), you can control how you want to deal with the scaling either from your video card's control panel (Best option, so long as the video in question is not Intel).

What model Ultrasharp is it, 23/22/2112? These should all also have options to either stretch, maintain aspect ratio, or display 1:1 pixels from the input signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Gwaihir posted:

Well, unless it's something special about this laptop's VGA system, VGA can drive 1920 * 1080 without issue. If it is limited to 1600*1200 for some reason (Lack of video memory maybe), you can control how you want to deal with the scaling either from your video card's control panel (Best option, so long as the video in question is not Intel).

What model Ultrasharp is it, 23/22/2112? These should all also have options to either stretch, maintain aspect ratio, or display 1:1 pixels from the input signal.
I'm going off of what I see in Windows's display properties. The resolution slider caps at 1600x1200. Maybe that'll change when a monitor is actually plugged in?

I'm looking at getting the 2312HM.

The video is in fact Intel 965 Express. Worse, I won't have access to any third-party control panel software because I work for a federal agency and our laptops are locked down tight. I can't install any unapproved software. So if I can't manage it from the default Windows display properties panel, I can't do it at all.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you plug in a monitor, it should pick up the list of available resolutions from the monitor's EDID and let you set whatever the max is in the windows display settings. And yes, I feel your pain on the work laptop issue :) I work for SSA and our laptop image is.. less than awesome (Pair up wiundows Vista, 2 gigs of RAM, and full drive encryption done in software on a core2 laptop with a 5400 RPM hard drive, and you have a recipe for an absolutely awesome experience).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

10-8 posted:

I'm going off of what I see in Windows's display properties. The resolution slider caps at 1600x1200. Maybe that'll change when a monitor is actually plugged in?
It should, yes. Without anything plugged in it'll only display what it sees the built-in monitor as being able to display. Overall you should be fine.

And yeah, shout out to the laptops the military uses. WinXP, IE7, 2GB RAM, full software encryption, etc. It's IE7 that really gets me. Who in the world thinks that it's a good idea to continue using a browser that is literally years behind the rest of the world, and then turn around and complain about falling victim to phishing, drive-by, and other web-based attacks?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
At least our Windows 7 image is getting a browser upgrade! ...to IE8 :suicide:

Our proxy/firewall is also set to block all connections from anything that does preset an IE7 or IE8 user agent string, which handily breaks, oh, just about loving everything useful like software updates, web based installers, or any number of other things. I love having to use fiddler2 to rewrite the HTTP headers on any program that needs an outside network connection.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Hi, I've recently bought a monitor (Acer S240HLBID LCD LED 24" HDMI Monitor) for my new PC (GPU Radeon 6870) and it only came with a VGA cable as standard, so I'm looking at getting a HDMI cable for it, but I'm not sure which type I need. I'm in the UK, and these are my options (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5349704.htm or this sort http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9045561.htm) there's quite a big price difference between the types, and I wanted to check if there would be a big enough difference in quality to warrant the high-speed cable.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
"High speed" HDMI cables are complete and total bullshit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Spoken like someone who couldn't afford 99% oxygen-free cables :smug:

(you're right of course, only thing to really consider is cable gauge for long runs)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

A few weeks ago, I got a 23" Viewsonic VX2336s IPS 1920x1080 for $180 and planned to use an old 21.6" 1680x1050 TN as my secondary. That setup was fine. Then I discovered Korean monitors, got one, and it's been a glorious few days. I temporarily used the Viewsonic as my secondary, and while the resolution and size completely mismatched my Korean, the setup was fine. But when I boxed up the Viewsonic to be returned and plugged in the old 21.6", I felt cramped. I don't know if it was the size, resolution, both, TN, or being an old, yellowing panel with a scuff near the middle, but it was awful.

When I returned the Viewsonic today, they had a refurbed 27" Acer 1920x1080 TN, also for $180. I hadn't really budgeted for 2 monitors, and at $300, the Korean was more than I expected to spend, but it was a great long term value. Still, the 21.6" is just miserable, so the real question is whether to go with the Acer or another <$200 monitor. At that price, a 23" IPS is the best I can hope for; I didn't keep the Viewsonic because it had some purple fringing issues, and it looks like the LG 23" IPS is my only other option (other than a refurbed Dell 2312).
So after a couple days with the Korean monitor + Acer 1920x1080p dual 27" setup, I have some interesting thoughts.

Colors are different when running DPT, as we're comparing LED + IPS + glossy vs CCFL + TN + matte, but in practice, video quality isn't a problem on the Acer, at least while watching some 1080p trailers from Apple.

I was thinking that in the grand scheme of things, paying $140 more for a second Korean is kind of a no-brainer, but there are actually times where the pixel density on the Korean is a bit much, and the larger physical size of things on the Acer is a nice break for my eyes.

So all in all, the setup works for me, if not for most others.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Gwaihir posted:

movax posted:

Spoken like someone who couldn't afford 99% oxygen-free cables :smug:

(you're right of course, only thing to really consider is cable gauge for long runs)

Thanks, I picked up a cheaper one and it works great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kind of crossposting from the laptop thread:

My new job is buying me a laptop. I'll be primarily doing industrial design work, so among other requirements, I'm looking for something with a really good display. I hold as the gold standard my old 23" Apple Cinema display, which I still use on my desktop because it has wonderful color and basically zero shift with viewing angle.

I have good eyes so I'm looking at 15" 1080p models. I'm comparing the Lenovo W530, the Lenovo Y580, and the Sony S-series. The Sony is advertised as having an IPS panel, but without any further information. The Lenovos are supposedly pretty good, but in the laptop thread, some guy said that the Lenovo 1080p displays aren't true IPS (I guess this would make them VA or whatever). Does anyone know about the colors and viewing angles on those Lenovos? And is the Sony display a good one?

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost
Anandtech did a rundown on the Sony S series. It has some color issues which they discuss thoroughly, but you have pretty slim pickings for good panels in laptops right now. I think the HP Envy 15 uses the same panel, you might want to check that out also.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5722/sony-vaio-se-an-ips-laptop-for-under-a-grand

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sagebrush posted:

Kind of crossposting from the laptop thread:

My new job is buying me a laptop. I'll be primarily doing industrial design work, so among other requirements, I'm looking for something with a really good display. I hold as the gold standard my old 23" Apple Cinema display, which I still use on my desktop because it has wonderful color and basically zero shift with viewing angle.

I have good eyes so I'm looking at 15" 1080p models. I'm comparing the Lenovo W530, the Lenovo Y580, and the Sony S-series. The Sony is advertised as having an IPS panel, but without any further information. The Lenovos are supposedly pretty good, but in the laptop thread, some guy said that the Lenovo 1080p displays aren't true IPS (I guess this would make them VA or whatever). Does anyone know about the colors and viewing angles on those Lenovos? And is the Sony display a good one?

https://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4600/fs

Dell Precision explicitly states it has 1920x1080 IPS panel as an option:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 7, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

https://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4600/fs

Dell Precision explicitly states it has 1920x1080 IPS panel as an option:

The Precisions are nice, but as far as I can tell you can only get them with older Quadros that can't even match the CUDA performance (important to me) of a modern GeForce, or a FirePro that's kinda useless because it doesn't do CUDA at all.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

internet inc posted:

Knowing that I'm on a budget, and not too crazy about quality, would using an ASUS VS229H-P as my primary display be a good compromise? It uses an IPS panel, can be bought for less than $200, and puts out a resolution that my computer will be able to handle. Is it even worth it to go IPS at such low prices? Should I just stop caring so much and buy whatever's on sale you cheap gently caress?

Trip report.

This thing owns. The colors are bright and awesome, the text is sharp as gently caress and everything is just crystal clear. I really can't imagine how you can go beyond this.

What sucks : It's now $20 less than what I paid for it a month ago and it makes my lovely TN Hanns.G look like rear end.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

The Precisions are nice, but as far as I can tell you can only get them with older Quadros that can't even match the CUDA performance (important to me) of a modern GeForce, or a FirePro that's kinda useless because it doesn't do CUDA at all.

They're probably due a refresh soon anyway, what with Ivy Bridge..

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

edit:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 8, 2012

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I checked out one of these listings today and the seller I looked at, green-sum, claimed to be some kind of official distributor of yamakasi, which made me wonder, are those korean IPS screens actually for sale in korea? Like, can you buy them in the big electronics stores next to Samsung, LG, BenQ etc. displays?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I checked out one of these listings today and the seller I looked at, green-sum, claimed to be some kind of official distributor of yamakasi, which made me wonder, are those korean IPS screens actually for sale in korea? Like, can you buy them in the big electronics stores next to Samsung, LG, BenQ etc. displays?

Yes, you'll likely see these company names in retail computer stores in Korea. You probably won't find these exact models, as they are intended for use in 'internet cafes' which are popular in the country. The ones on sale would likely have features (like multiple inputs, working controls, etc) that the cafe's simply don't need or want to pay for, but that an inexpert end user would find indispensable.

We are getting these probably from larger internet cafe chains who have purchase agreements directly with manufacturers and are reselling on the side, without any manufacturer backing (warranty, etc). A pretty good deal, as long as you know what you are getting into. It might also drive prices in north america down a bit, but it'll take a while for that to happen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yup. Most of these displays were destined for the PC cafe market. That's why some of the Catleaps come with a glass surface over the panel, so that idiots who spill drinks onto the screen don't ruin it.

It was either HardForum or Overclock.net where a Korean said they were familiar with PC Bank.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It actually says on many of the listings that the tempered glass is intended for PC Cafes because they're sturdy and easy to clean. In a home environment it's not quite necessary, though perhaps worth considering if you have kids.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Hey, you're paying for a poo poo-hot IPS screen more or less hot-glued to a bit of plastic that may or may not serve as a stand. You're certainly not paying for a proper advertising campaign; I mean, poo poo, these monitors have pride and they are going to ride the world like something out of a Game of Thrones. What more could you ask for?

I also like how one of the examples for one model I found was a comparison as to how much StarCraft2 view-space you got vice a smaller screen.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Came home today and turned my Shimian on... no picture. :stonk: Swapped cables, swapped computers, nothing. Resigned myself to a life time of regrets. Then tried the on screen controls just to see if I could snap it back to life (have a higher end model with the scaler and OSD) and somehow the contrast had been zeroed out? I certainly didn't do it. Turned it back up, good as new.

Just a future note for anyone who might come across the same problem.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cygni posted:

Came home today and turned my Shimian on... no picture. :stonk: Swapped cables, swapped computers, nothing. Resigned myself to a life time of regrets. Then tried the on screen controls just to see if I could snap it back to life (have a higher end model with the scaler and OSD) and somehow the contrast had been zeroed out? I certainly didn't do it. Turned it back up, good as new.

Just a future note for anyone who might come across the same problem.

Do you happen to have a fan on your desk? Some korean electronics are very sensitive to the negative air pressure a fan generates, especially when you leave it running overnight, it can do serious harm to your device.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Do you happen to have a fan on your desk? Some korean electronics are very sensitive to the negative air pressure a fan generates, especially when you leave it running overnight, it can do serious harm to your device.

That's only a problem if all the doors and windows of the room you're in are closed.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

You're certainly not paying for a proper advertising campaign;

I don't know I'm re-convinced to buy my monitor again after those ads, just sayin'.

I have to be careful not to get atoms that have been split by fans near my Shimian, in fact my earlier issues with it were due to having fans too close it seems!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
So is a Cat Leap like a Cougar Pounce? I need to know this before I make a purchase.

Has there been an effective difference between the different Korean monitors you guys are buying from the shady Korean ebay mafia?

Seriously, though, that price point is just about exactly in my impulse buy range.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If it makes you feel better, sure, Cougar Pounce. I prefer to think of it as talking about internet cats, personally. The Korean monitors all use the same IPS panel, and all more or less hot-glue them to a stand and call it a day. Some of them have slightly better or worse stands (they all suck), some have built-in speakers, some (for an extra ~$100) have a scaler, OSD, and more inputs than just DVI, and some for an extra charge guarantee a pixel-perfect screen. So the actual salient differences between them are usually pretty easy to figure out, and it's just a question of which features you want.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Is there such a thing as a 2560x1440 monitor that's under or around 24"?

Guni fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 10, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guni posted:

Is there such a thing as a 2560x1440 monitor that's under or around 24"?
Not really, that kind of DPI just isn't really needed.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Tunga posted:

Not really, that kind of DPI just isn't really needed.

Ahk I didn't think so (after a quick google). Are there any monitors (27inch, 2560x1440) like the dells, but .. prettier, yet aren't korean ones (I worry about the warranty etc) and under around 5-600 AUD? The dells remind me of my screen at work.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you want 'prettier', then probably your only choice is the 27" Apple Cinema Display. That's going to be way out of your price range though. The HP ZR2740 is a somewhat cheaper non-Dell option that still has a warranty.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Guni posted:

Ahk I didn't think so (after a quick google). Are there any monitors (27inch, 2560x1440) like the dells, but .. prettier, yet aren't korean ones (I worry about the warranty etc) and under around 5-600 AUD? The dells remind me of my screen at work.
The only 27" 2560x1440 you're going to find under 600AUD are the Korean ones. The ZR2740 is a solid monitor, but it's $650 in the US, which going with the usual trends means it'll cost you roughly a billion AUD because technology hates your country for some reason.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Guni posted:

Pretty? The only potential downside to the Dells (to some) is the anti-glare coating, other than that, it's got more features than anything else in that market.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DrDork posted:

The only 27" 2560x1440 you're going to find under 600AUD are the Korean ones. The ZR2740 is a solid monitor, but it's $650 in the US, which going with the usual trends means it'll cost you roughly a billion AUD because technology hates your country for some reason.

So very, very true. Do the Korean monitors come with a warranty? I really do like the look of them, it's more if something went wrong with one I guess. Is the extra pixel check worth the $50 or so?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Guni posted:

So very, very true. Do the Korean monitors come with a warranty? I really do like the look of them, it's more if something went wrong with one I guess. Is the extra pixel check worth the $50 or so?
They usually do have a "warranty," but you'll have to cover shipping. In the US that's a pretty big expense; it may be less painful for you since you're so much closer. Whether the pixel-perfect stuff is worth it is your call. Personally, I know if I had a bad pixel, I'd get all OCD about it and never be able to NOT see it, so it'd be worth the price, but you may not care as much. Also, if you look around the eBay sellers, you can usually find ones that'll offer it for more like $30, which makes it an even easier up-sell in my mind.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shrughes posted:

That's only a problem if all the doors and windows of the room you're in are closed.

This isn't getting nearly enough love :golfclap:

e: the joke :ssh:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alright, so no idea if the new MBP TNG display is IPS or not, but it's a pants-wetting 2880x1880 display in 15".

movax fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 11, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

movax posted:

Alright, so no idea if the new MBP TNG display is IPS or not, but it's a pants-wetting 2880x1880 display in 15".

That is achingly beautiful, goddamn. They're STILL bucking the trend of ever wider displays, infact, that one has a taller than normal ratio. What more can you say? That's just going to look glorious..

Edit: oh, it's 1800 not 1880, so it's not taller than normal 8:5. Still, that's good too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gwaihir posted:

I knew my future was NOT in sales when I worked at Best Buy and we started carrying this insanely expensive HDMI cable.

I thought it was an April Fools joke...