Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Al! posted:

Forget the business model. The Old Republic is desperate to hold onto a million subscribers despite being the biggest nerd property ever. Kingdoms of Amalur failed spectacularly recently taking tens of millions of taxpayer dollars with it and they didn't have much more to show than a handful of empty maps. Who is going to give this inexperienced team the millions upon millions of dollars it takes to make an MMO in this day and age?

I can't believe people paid $1000 for a lifetime subscription to an MMO that will never come out. But hey, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I think my biggest concern about the whole thing is Kickstarter becoming this graveyard of uncompleted projects that got funded and didn't get done or live up to what they promised. Kickstarter is a fantastic idea, but a lot of people are using it for really dumb things, and if enough of those dumb things get funded and fail, where does the future of crowd funding go?

But I imagine that's already something you've all discussed at length, so don't mind me.

On the not doomsaying hand, I hope TorchShips gets funded.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Al! posted:

Forget the business model. The Old Republic is desperate to hold onto a million subscribers despite being the biggest nerd property ever. Kingdoms of Amalur failed spectacularly recently taking tens of millions of taxpayer dollars with it and they didn't have much more to show than a handful of empty maps. Who is going to give this inexperienced team the millions upon millions of dollars it takes to make an MMO in this day and age?

Rift is doing fantastic, but everyone always forgets Rift. :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Utritum posted:

About 25 hours left on The Two Guys From Andromeda's Kickstarter, and coincidently they are about $25k from their goal.

This is really exciting. :munch:

$1.000 every hour. C'mon, goons, give them your buckazoids. If Tim Schafer can come back to make adventure games, so can these guys.

Kyrosiris posted:

Rift is doing fantastic, but everyone always forgets Rift. :smith:

The fact I have been expecting it switch to a F2P model since last year and have yet to see this happen does show it's either doing very well and/or has really stubborn leadership.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Orv posted:

I feel really bad on the behalf of the Embers of Caerus team who are planning some cool stuff, but planning it for a subscription MMO to launch in 2016.

Also Conquest 2 pulled its pitch down, so you might want to update that. A shame, I loved the first game, but they were way overreaching there.

I feel bad for all the dumb pledgers who basically just signed up for the vaporware version of Darkfall 2. Seriously, when people see 'Full loot, open PvP combat', permadeath, and player run politics/economy, they suddenly lose all common sense.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Orv posted:

On the not doomsaying hand, I hope TorchShips gets funded.
I do too but it's not gonna happen :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

octoroon posted:

I think the word "MMO" might be what's giving you that feeling. I kind of instinctively dismiss any KickStarter that claims to want to make an MMO. I mean it would take some absolutely stunningly crazy name-recognition for something on that scale to seem viable through KickStarter.

Also maybe this:

Yes, that is what it takes to create an MMO. We'll just get right on that programming stuff with your 500k!

Nobody is making a 2012 quality MMO on $500K. Nobody is even making one on $5mil.Hell I'd be nervous about a $50mil budget, although I'd concede its possible. Some sort of lovely ultima online isometric crappy blah thing, maybe, but not a modern MMO. The labor in putting together enough content to keep a huge number people from not becoming absurdly bored over a span of months is off the scale.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

Licensing is also an issue to consider, UDK, is $250k for a full license, or 25% of the profits.

Unity is $1500 for pro, and then again for each android and ios if your into mobile. Unity is FAR more affordable, and a better solution for a starting developer. Also its GameObject inheritance design is actually really handy, and makes troubleshooting very easy.

When we are done with Kinetic Void, and are moving on to our next project we will evaluate what engine we will use, but passing on from Unity will be hard as we will have experience with it and our licenses are already paid for.

The only thing that really scares me about Unity is its asset management tools. The whole real-time iiterative thing is nice as gently caress, and C# is a much nicer language for loving around in than C++ and its verbosity and compile-link-run cycles but I'd be terrified of its asset management tools.

Still, for a nutty little game, its probably a saner prospect than tackling the hairy beast that UDK3 represents.

UDK4 , however is going to loving own, whenever its eventually released. In any decent game project the real workload is in asset creation (Good looking animated 3D is just hard stuff to create), and UDK4 looks much more artist friendly.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 11, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

duck monster posted:

The only thing that really scares me about Unity is its asset management tools. The whole real-time iiterative thing is nice as gently caress, and C# is a much nicer language for loving around in than C++ and its verbosity and compile-link-run cycles but I'd be terrified of its asset management tools.

If you mean the Asset Server, We have been using it over a year and haven't had a single problem with it. its actually pretty solid. all it does is create a repository, and when you do something on your end you can commit the change, which uploads it. and the rest of the team can then update their copies of those assets. It is not a real time thing, and multiple people cannot be editing the same thing at once.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Poor plucky little TorchShips, which is super awesome but far too nerdy to succeed, just released an update which includes the breakdown of pledges by source. I always enjoy seeing these things:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Saoshyant posted:

$1.000 every hour. C'mon, goons, give them your buckazoids. If Tim Schafer can come back to make adventure games, so can these guys.

There's no way that KS fails; it's in what I like to call the "Guaranteed Success Zone"- whenever a KS gets up to 90% funding, it's guaranteed to succeed. It's just human nature; people who were on the fence will fund because it's a "sure thing", Nervous Nellie initial backers will up their funding just to make sure it gets past the post, and fans start doing the media blitzkrieg spam to make sure everyone everywhere knows about it and how close it is.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Shh, you'll ruin the fun of seeing people get really worried about kickstarters that have roughly a 100% chance of success.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, it works for making people aware they can actually still pledge. For some people it might feel like this has been going on forever.

I just realized that with this KS done soon, I won't have any to back that I really want to see completed besides Dead State. Tex Murphy is already a sure thing (and I never actually played any of the games despite now owning them on GoG), so what's there left to back?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Electric Pope posted:

Shh, you'll ruin the fun of seeing people get really worried about kickstarters that have roughly a 100% chance of success.

Hey, this one has been picking up in the last few days, but it's been in a dire situation for nearly two weeks. It wasn't a 90% chance until two days ago. Now I'm not worried anymore, but I was.

evilmiera posted:

what's there left to back?

TorchShips? Not my thing, but might be yours.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

evilmiera posted:

Well, it works for making people aware they can actually still pledge. For some people it might feel like this has been going on forever.

I just realized that with this KS done soon, I won't have any to back that I really want to see completed besides Dead State. Tex Murphy is already a sure thing (and I never actually played any of the games despite now owning them on GoG), so what's there left to back?

Ground Branch, Retrovirus, Haunts: The Manse Macabre, Skyjacker, and basically anything that looks interesting in Kickstarter Katchup.

And yeah back TorchShips even though it's a lost cause.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, mouthbreathing 12 year olds continue to be upset about the Tropes v. Women kickstarter.

:hurr:

More on her site that I won't paste here because I'm not sure if this is a great place to discuss this. Still, four days left to get her up to 1,000% of her goal if you want to help prove a point? Even though she may have no idea what to do with the money by now, all the stretch goals have been completely crushed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NmareBfly posted:

Well, mouthbreathing 12 year olds continue to be upset about the Tropes v. Women kickstarter.
…thereby further showing the need for the project.

I wonder if they'll ever manage to realise that bit of irony and what any such realisations will do to them.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Utritum posted:

About 25 hours left on The Two Guys From Andromeda's Kickstarter, and coincidently they are about $25k from their goal.

This is really exciting. :munch:

Only 14k left now. This reminds me of the Republique kickstarter a bit, just without so many angry people.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
And SpaceVenture just made a sudden big jump forward, and has now landed on $503k.

Seems like another beloved adventure game franchise will make a comeback (in spirit at the very least)! :)

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Tippis posted:

…thereby further showing the need for the project.

I wonder if they'll ever manage to realise that bit of irony and what any such realisations will do to them.

I'm expecting a lot of "well, isn't it a good thing that those people did that because..."

I don't think gamers want to confront their latent sexism and will sooner shoot themselves (here's hoping!) than reflect on their faults.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Utritum posted:

And SpaceVenture just made a sudden big jump forward

This may have something to do with it (arrived in my mailbox earlier today):

Ken Williams (ken@kensblog.com) posted:

With less than 24 hours to go, the Two Guys from Andromeda - Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe who created the original Space Quest adventure games - are just $17,000 short of the $500,000 goal they need to build a new Space Adventure game.

If you haven't already pledged your $15 for a copy of the finished game, please do it now! Follow this link for full details:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

I'm expecting a lot of "well, isn't it a good thing that those people did that because..."
I suppose. Validating its own stupidity is really one of humanity's most highly evolved skills. :downsgun:

quote:

I don't think gamers want to confront their latent sexism and will sooner shoot themselves (here's hoping!) than reflect on their faults.
Here's to hoping.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Krenzo posted:

This may have something to do with it (arrived in my mailbox earlier today):

Ah, Ken Williams rescuing the Space Quest guys! Now I have seen everything.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

duck monster posted:

Nobody is making a 2012 quality MMO on $500K. Nobody is even making one on $5mil.Hell I'd be nervous about a $50mil budget, although I'd concede its possible. Some sort of lovely ultima online isometric crappy blah thing, maybe, but not a modern MMO. The labor in putting together enough content to keep a huge number people from not becoming absurdly bored over a span of months is off the scale.

People need to move away from the Everquest model. You could build a Diablo-style game where dungeons and loot are generated from tilesets, or an Eve-style MMO where the players have more agency and the premade stuff matters less, for a lot cheaper than WoW or TOR.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Randallteal posted:

People need to move away from the Everquest model. You could build a Diablo-style game where dungeons and loot are generated from tilesets, or an Eve-style MMO where the players have more agency and the premade stuff matters less, for a lot cheaper than WoW or TOR.

…also, people need to move away from the WoW/TOR model, where you rely on a long-established IP to draw people in and then throw tons of money on it to retain them. Yes, an MMO can have high running costs, but they'll depend on how you choose to approach the whole content angle, and you don't need to have millions of subscribers to make it all work.

So many MMOs have failed in the last few years because they did exactly that: take an IP, wring it through GenericMMOTemplate 1.0™, assume that you have 5M+ subscribers, and scale all costs and investments to meet this assumption. Very few seem to stop and think that, just maybe, GenericMMOTemplate 1.0 went out of style 5 years ago (and/or is already covered in full by WoW) and thus won't generate those millions of subs, making the whole thing overpriced and doomed from the get-go.

The move to F2P models and user-generated content is the best they've come up with so far to work around those miscalculations, but I'm willing to bet that there are other methods of doing it and making a good living out of the whole thing.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Give me a Diablo 2 style game with randomly generated dungeons and then release an incredibly robust toolset to let me make my own, fixed dungeons and give me drop-in co-op. Kickstart that poo poo.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

and then release an incredibly robust toolset to let me make my own, fixed dungeons and give me drop-in co-op. Kickstart that poo poo.

You can pretty much do this with NWN1 right now, can't you? :v:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

You can pretty much do this with NWN1 right now, can't you? :v:

Yes. I would like a newer game with more friendly modding tools. Neverwinter Nights is over a decade old now, I'm pretty sure.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Give me a Diablo 2 style game with randomly generated dungeons and then release an incredibly robust toolset to let me make my own, fixed dungeons and give me drop-in co-op. Kickstart that poo poo.

Torchlight 2 is pretty much exactly this, robust toolset and all, unless I am missing something. And it is also going to be released pretty much any minute now.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 12, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Yes. I would like a newer game with more friendly modding tools. Neverwinter Nights is over a decade old now, I'm pretty sure.

And it is still the best in the market for that purpose, sadly! :smith: NWN2's problem was that the toolkit was too loving obtuse for newer users to break into. NWN1's was plenty powerful and easy to pick up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

NmareBfly posted:

Even though she may have no idea what to do with the money by now, all the stretch goals have been completely crushed.

I hope she records a video of just her laughing and throwing crisp 20s into the air. Really fill those internet misogynists with rage.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

octoroon posted:

Torchlight 2 is pretty much exactly this, robust toolset and all, unless I am missing something. And it is also going to be released pretty much any minute now.

I think end of July was the last word in the TL2 thread :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Not really gaming related, but I don't think this is a big enough deal to make its own GBS thread about it, and it's directly related to SA's struggles so:

The guy behind The Oatmeal, that vaguely unfunny webcomic that's a pale, pale imitation of Hyperbole and a Half, had a big debacle thing last year where funnyjunk was stealing his stuff, curiously mirroring SA's problems with ebaumsworld. Anyways, now funnyjunk has sued him for "willful defamation of character" to the tune of 20 thousand dollars, so Oatmeal guy started an indiegogo campaign to collect 20k to donate to charity. You can view it here. It's now at 45k.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Oh for gently caress's sake, he even used flex funds.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wonder why he went with the altogether lovely and unreliable alternative to KS instead of...you know...KS.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Occupation posted:

I wonder why he went with the altogether lovely and unreliable alternative to KS instead of...you know...KS.

Because IndieGoGo has no standards whatsoever.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Because IndieGoGo has no standards whatsoever.

And offers the "Well, you get any money you can scrounge together, so feel free to run off to the beach with it as long as we get our 9%!"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Occupation posted:

Because this way he would have gotten all the money raised, even if he hadn't gotten twice as much as his stupid goal.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Occupation posted:

Besides the other reasons people have mentioned, it is, supposedly, a straight up charity drive, which kickstarter doesn't allow.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If a guy wants to use Indie gogo to raise money for charity while simultaneously shaming idiots on the internet, I don't have a problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If a guy wants to use Indie gogo to raise money for charity while simultaneously shaming idiots on the internet, I don't have a problem with that.

Yeah, but the fact that he can use an indie game crowdsourcing site as a vehicle for that kind of shows something may be wrong.