Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

kidsafe posted:

I'd expect the prices to trickle down steadily. The best you could hope for is two boutiques to open up in your area and engage in a price war.

I know my friend in WA would usually just go to the Duty Free shop at the border crossing...

Good idea, I had forgotten about the duty free. Probably because the people that run it are insane right-wing assholes. I'll have to stop by and check it out again.

I heard someone say that these taxes were temporary and would expire but I can't find any confirmation and with the state of Washington's economy it seems unlikely they would give up the revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Privatization in Washington has been pretty lame so far.

Shelf prices look good but roughly 25% tax is added at checkout. $3.77 per liter plus 20.5%. I also heard something about the stores having to pay a 10% distributor tax which they must be adding to the shelf price. Most everything I checked has been the same price or higher than the previous state prices. A few things have been a few dollars less at most. I didn't look much at the bottom-shelf spirits that are in the $10-15 range.

Costco does have better prices but they also have the worst selection. Glenlivet 12 at $38 from them is about the same as before when it was $40 from the state.

Grocery store selection was average with several of the most common brands in each category. Safeway seemed to be the best followed closely by Rite-Aid, and then Albertsons. I haven't checked QFC yet. All the stores seemed to have trouble getting their shelves stocked with about half the spaces on the shelves tagged but empty. One checker at Albertsons said only half their shipment arrived.

The state liquor store licenses were put up for auction and most of them will reopen as private stores but they haven't opened yet due to some confusion in the new law and policies. It's looking like that will be our only option to get better selection.

The Costco near me has exactly one single malt Scotch, the store branded Macallan 15, and a store branded bourbon that doesn't say the distiller.

On the other hand, Trader Joe's has a pretty fair selection and the prices are actually pretty close to the state liquor store prices after taxes. If you haven't looked there I would.

Safeway did seem to have the best selection that I've seen and the prices weren't too bad. At the QFC near me the selection was mediocre and the prices for any Scotch seem way too high (without a card it's $80 pre-tax for Laphroaig 10, at the liquor store it was $56 after tax, maybe I was just very lucky with that liquor store price though).

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The Costco near me has exactly one single malt Scotch, the store branded Macallan 15, and a store branded bourbon that doesn't say the distiller.

For those in the Bay Area, Costco has Lagavulin 16 for 51 dollars right now, if I remember correctly. Found at both stores in South San Francisco.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I've only wandered by one Safeway (which was not the best location in the first place) and it had a fairly terrible selection. I didn't even know about the tax-at-the-register scam until I read this thread...

I think I'm going to be just making do until somebody gets around to opening a good specialty store... I wonder how difficult that will be, especially with the 10K sq ft requirement?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I think all the state stores were <10k sqft and they auctioned off the licenses for those so I expect almost all of them to reopen and take on the specialty niche. They and some other smaller locations should open once the WSLCB figures out the details of the new laws.

No Trader Joe's out here in the boonies. Costco here had a poo poo ton more vodka than anything else, but yeah the whisky selection was pretty slim. I was actually surprised by how much Rite-Aid had. That store always felt like it was nearly dead so maybe they're hoping for a rebirth as a liquor store.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Base Emitter posted:

I've only wandered by one Safeway (which was not the best location in the first place) and it had a fairly terrible selection. I didn't even know about the tax-at-the-register scam until I read this thread...

I think I'm going to be just making do until somebody gets around to opening a good specialty store... I wonder how difficult that will be, especially with the 10K sq ft requirement?

If any of the state liquor stores near you got bought during the auction, those are exempt from the size rule. The one I checked still has the same selection. The shelf prices are also the same, although the tax is no longer included.

It also looks like there can be exemptions for the size rule but I'm not sure how often they'll do that.

More on topic: Can anybody recommend bourbons that are more like Elijah Craig 12? I've only really tried that, Woodford, and Maker's Mark as far as bourbon goes, the Woodford seemed too sweet for me, and I wasn't a huge fan of Maker's Mark when I tried it, but that was a while ago. I was thinking of trying Four Roses but I haven't found any yet.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

More on topic: Can anybody recommend bourbons that are more like Elijah Craig 12? I've only really tried that, Woodford, and Maker's Mark as far as bourbon goes, the Woodford seemed too sweet for me, and I wasn't a huge fan of Maker's Mark when I tried it, but that was a while ago. I was thinking of trying Four Roses but I haven't found any yet.

Four Roses is pretty sweet, at least the single barrel is. You might want to try Evan Williams Single Barrel which is more oaky. I actually preferred it to EC12. In addition, if you're looking for some punch and spice, you might try Wild Turkey 101. It's probably one of the best values in bourbon at like $19-22 a bottle.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I just picked up a bottle of Makers 46. It's not bad, but it's not great; it tastes like Makers, but at the same time it doesn't. I probably won't buy it again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

"Fine, but wouldn't buy again" is pretty much the consensus on Maker's 46. Of course, I feel like that about their standard bottling too.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
State liquor store reopened as a private store yesterday with a better selection by far compared to the grocery stores and prices were just slightly higher.

They had Laphroaig QC, Speyburn Bradan Orach and 10, Singleton 12, Balvennie Doublewood, Talisker 10, Oban 14, Glenlivet 12, 15, 18 and 21 and Nadura, Glenmorangie 10 and 12 Sherry/Quinta Ruban/Nectar d'Oro, Glenfiddich 12, Glen Grant 10, Glenrothes 98 SC and Select Reserve, Highland Park 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Bowmore 12, Auchentoshan, Aberlour 12 and Jura 10. I really wanted to pick up the Laphroaig Quarter Cask but it was $83 after taxes. I picked up Elijah Craig 12 for $35 as an intro to bourbon instead.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Quarter Cask but it was $83 after taxes

Oh my god, I'm so sorry. What is with your state?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

GramCracker posted:

I just picked up a bottle of Makers 46. It's not bad, but it's not great; it tastes like Makers, but at the same time it doesn't. I probably won't buy it again.

I got a bottle at an event, got to dip it myself and everything. Started drinking Maker's when I was 16, so the only real kick I get from the stuff is nostalgic. Makes a drat fine mixer, if you can afford the price point.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

beefnchedda posted:

For those in the Bay Area, Costco has Lagavulin 16 for 51 dollars right now, if I remember correctly. Found at both stores in South San Francisco.

Thanks much for the heads up. Was able to grab this at the Santa Clara Costco today. Was on an endcap and I almost missed it, definitely wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't looking.

Got this last year at Costco in Septemberish for the same price and its my absolute favorite of the half dozen or so scotches I've tried.

The only problem is my wife came home about an hour after me and said I smell like I've been smoking. MMM campfire scotch.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

Oh my god, I'm so sorry. What is with your state?

Pre-privatization it was $60. People here got the law they voted for. Unfortunately they didn't read it closely and believed Costco when they said it would mean cheaper alcohol. Well, it's cheaper now at Costco than anywhere else even though it's more expensive everywhere than it used to be.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the Elijah Craig 12 so far.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Pre-privatization it was $60. People here got the law they voted for. Unfortunately they didn't read it closely and believed Costco when they said it would mean cheaper alcohol. Well, it's cheaper now at Costco than anywhere else even though it's more expensive everywhere than it used to be.

I honestly want to believe it's just stores seeing what they can get away with right now, since most (not QFC, gently caress QFC and their pricing on whisky, loving $55 for Glenfiddich 12 and $80 for Laphroaig 10), just took the shelf prices from liquor stores and kept them, ignoring the fact that liquor store prices included taxes.

Like I said before, check Trader Joe's if there's one near you. The one by me has Laphroaig 10 year for about $55-60 after tax. Unfortunately they don't have QC.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

Anyone have experience with sub $40 Scotch whiskies? I've heard that Old Pulteney 12 is good, and also have heard good things about the Gordon and Mcphail bottlings of Highland Park. I think it'd be fun to try some of the cheaper stuff, if for nothing else, to ease the pain on my wallet.

In non budget news: This whisky, this god drat whisky. Wonderful stuff.

Old Pulteney is a great whisky that I have in my cabinet, it's fresh, salty/seaweedy and a nice change of pace from your Islay whiskies.

If you want to try something good I would reccomend this

Auchentoshen Three Wood, it's rich, fruity, sweet, a perfect after dinner whisky.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Is it fairly cold where you store your whisky? Because those fuzzy floating things are proteins that fall out of solution when the temperature drops. It's pretty normal. If the whisky warms up again they will disappear.

It could also just be some particulate matter that ends up in the bottle if the whisky hasn't been chillfiltered. This is a good thing.

This is correct. Whisky naturally contains fatty acids, proteins and esters which solidify at lower temperatures and makes the Whisky turn cloudy in the bottle, or when adding water to it it might become cloudy in the glass. Most Whisky is chill filtered to remove these particles for cosmetic reasons.

Some higher end whisky is not chill filtered to preserve flavour, like Laphroaig Quarter Cask but it's questionable if it makes any difference really. Also most cask strength whisky is probably not chill filtered as the cloudiness only really happens at <46% ABV.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Vegetable Melange posted:

I got a bottle at an event, got to dip it myself and everything. Started drinking Maker's when I was 16, so the only real kick I get from the stuff is nostalgic. Makes a drat fine mixer, if you can afford the price point.

I've always wanted to do that, it just seems like it would be a neat experience and a cool little thing to keep.

Kenning posted:

"Fine, but wouldn't buy again" is pretty much the consensus on Maker's 46. Of course, I feel like that about their standard bottling too.

Yea, that's exactly what the owner of my liquor store said, but I felt like trying it anyway. I know my review was pretty lovely; "Yea, it tastes like whiskey, but it doesn't." I have no idea how to accurately taste/review.

On another note, all I really drink is an Old Fashioned. So my friend and I went to this crazy 5 star Italian restaurant in Washington DC and they made me the BEST Old Fashioned I have ever had. The only garnish it had was lemon peel and a massive ball of ice, you could slightly taste the Whiskey and it had a very nice slight hint of lemon. I will forever be on the quest to recreate or find an Old Fashioned that is as good ad that one was. However, I think I'm close as I found the perfect, and what looks to be very similar (minus the lovely ice), Old Fashioned recipe while bored at work yesterday: http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/42

Also, anyone who likes huge cubes of ice, get one of these for $7: Tovolo KING Cube Ice Tray

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

GramCracker posted:

On another note, all I really drink is an Old Fashioned.

This is more or less what I have been doing:

http://oldfashioned101.com/

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I mentioned before an Old Fashioned being my utility drink, and the simplicity is its elegance. You may experiment with simple syrup rather than crystal sugar, as that mixes much easier and may be the difference between the ones made at home and the one you had at the restaurant.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Paramemetic posted:

I mentioned before an Old Fashioned being my utility drink, and the simplicity is its elegance. You may experiment with simple syrup rather than crystal sugar, as that mixes much easier and may be the difference between the ones made at home and the one you had at the restaurant.

This is exactly what the bartender said he does. I ordered a second Old Fashioned after I finished the first, and upon tasting it I noted aloud that it tasted different from the first one. This set the restaurant into Defcon 5, and the bartender came over and asked what was wrong, ect and I stated that there was no problems the first one was fantastic. The guy told me the second one is different because they switched bartenders and then he began to explain how he made the first drink.

Moral of the story: simple syrup is the way to go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Simple turbinado syrup is the way to go. 2:1 sugar:water. When you make a syrup this thick though you've got to agitate it in the glass to get it in solution with the whiskey or else it'll just sink to the bottom and make the first half of the drink to dry and the second half too sweet. The richness of the cane flavor is worth it though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Did anyone see this?

Jim Beam 1795

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

GramCracker posted:

Did anyone see this?

Jim Beam 1795

Good god. No matter how good, I don't think I could ever swing $175 for a bourbon.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

NightConqueror posted:

Good god. No matter how good, I don't think I could ever swing $175 for a bourbon.

I've heavily debated buying that (granted I could somehow get my hands on a bottle) simply for the awesome bottle I'd have. Oh, and the delicious liquid inside. But mostly for the bad rear end bottle.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

GramCracker posted:

I've heavily debated buying that (granted I could somehow get my hands on a bottle) simply for the awesome bottle I'd have. Oh, and the delicious liquid inside. But mostly for the bad rear end bottle.

I'm sure you can find a bottle just as cool for $30 somewhere.

I bought Pappy 23 year one time because "that is just what you do if you're a bourbon snob", most expensive single bottle I ever bought. I also bought some of the Arctic Explorer Scotch, that comes in as a close second. Neither has been opened yet.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

GramCracker posted:

Did anyone see this?

Jim Beam 1795

$175 for an eight year old single barrel? :psyduck:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Notice how it's only really being posted on gear/cool stuff websites? Ya, it's not really being marketed at whiskey drinkers. Eight years old, below 50%, AND they gyp you out of 50ml. That cool bottle is only 700ml.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tigren posted:

Notice how it's only really being posted on gear/cool stuff websites? Ya, it's not really being marketed at whiskey drinkers. Eight years old, below 50%, AND they gyp you out of 50ml. That cool bottle is only 700ml.
Also if it's only available in a European airport's duty free shop, I'm guessing the market is European/world travellers who are already paying a lot more than it goes for in the US for regular bourbon: http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/american-whisky-cat1031.aspx

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Tigren posted:

700mL would make sense since it's being sold in a German Duty Free shop. In fact it's one reason why smaller spirits brands in the EU/UK don't make it over here, it's too much of a hassle to create separate 750mL bottlings for one market.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Anyone have suggestions for a good whiskey to make Rusty Nails with? I was thinking about a cheap-ish blend like Johnnie Walker Black or something. I've had them at bars before, but have virtually no idea what whiskys pair well Drambuie.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
Jameson makes a great Rusty Mick, which is one of my favorite drinks.

However for a Rusty Nail, Johnny Red or Chivas are a little nicer. Black is a very strong tasting whiskey. Or just something like dewar's works great.

ed. black is not much cheaper than the macallen...

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

NightConqueror posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a good whiskey to make Rusty Nails with? I was thinking about a cheap-ish blend like Johnnie Walker Black or something. I've had them at bars before, but have virtually no idea what whiskys pair well Drambuie.

The thing about Drambuie is it's quite potent, and it's going to remove the complexity of pretty much anything you put it with. I'd go with Johnny Walker Red for this. Red is specifically meant for mixing, whereas Black is supposedly their bottom-tier blend meant for drinking neat. Drambuie will pair well with pretty much any whisky, as it's essentially a whisky/honey/spice liqueur. You might also consider the Famous Grouse, or Black Grouse if you want to upscale it a bit.

Also, I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams to try as a utility bourbon, it's quite good for the price. Fairly complex, with a taste I'm not used to, but can't place. I'm assuming it's related to the sour mash aging. It's not bad at all, but it's not the same as the other bourbons I drink routinely (Russell's Reserve, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Maker's). I'm keen though for the price, and seeing as I bought it for utility, it's definitely worth it. Should make for good old fashioneds, and without regret based on the price, though I'm currently enjoying it on rocks after trying it neat. First impressions, and all that.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'll go with the JW Red. Probably saved me a few bucks, and since it's going to a party, I'd say its likely the whole thing will be drained anyway. I'll save the good stuff for me!

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Recommend me a scotch for someone who likes Laphroaig, I want to start tasting some strange.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

AWWNAW posted:

Recommend me a scotch for someone who likes Laphroaig, I want to start tasting some strange.
Benriach Curiositas.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

AWWNAW posted:

Strange? Isle of Jura has a really weird texture that people either love or hate. Bowmore is another Islay that is somewhat different than the others. Do you want to taste things similar to Laphroaig, or things different from Laphroaig? Those two are the same region but neither are really similar.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sorry, I should've been less colloquial and more specific. Similar to Laphroaig in peat and smokiness, but not Laphroaig.

Also Oregon whipper snapper is gross.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

AWWNAW posted:

Laphroaig is my favorite so I just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr which, quite frankly, blows Laphroaig's claim of "the most richly flavored scotch whisky" right out of the water. It's not as smokey (but it's still very smokey and peaty) but drat it is full-bodied. You can almost chew on it.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nostrum posted:

Laphroaig is my favorite so I just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr which, quite frankly, blows Laphroaig's claim of "the most richly flavored scotch whisky" right out of the water. It's not as smokey (but it's still very smokey and peaty) but drat it is full-bodied. You can almost chew on it.

This is what I was going to recommend as well, it currently reigns as my favorite* distillery, having supplanted Oban on a recent trip to Scotland. It's not quite as much smoke in a bottle, as Nostrum said, but it's very complex, and warm, so warm, so where it lacks the smoke flavor it makes up for the smoke mouthfeel. As it says on the bottle, they've taken the fire but left the warmth. Highly recommend Lagavulin 16 if you're at all into the smoke and peat scene.

*inasmuch as one can have a favorite distillery, I suppose. I've had better SMWS bottlings, and frankly I have a hard time saying I have a "favorite" whisky seeing as there's so many expressions. I suppose it's more accurate to say that it is the one that has had the biggest impression on me most recently.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 12, 2012