Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

After reading through some of this thread and the 25 year anniversary one on GAF, I've decided to give this series a shot. I like a lot of what I've heard about the series, and it sounds like these games fix a lot of problems that usually bug me in JRPGs.

I already own DDS 1+2, Persona 3+4, Nocturne and Strange Journey. Is there a recommended path to play through the games? I usually see it recommended to play them in the order I listed them but I'm not really sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona 3 and 4 are way more accessible than the rest. Strange Journey is a bit sadistic with the dungeon design.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I know this isn't technically an SMT game, but since the general Atlus thread is gone it seems like the best place to ask: can anyone tell me about Gungnir? I abruptly remembered it yesterday and after looking it up I realized it's coming out in just a couple of days. I was one of the crazy people who really liked Knights in the Nightmare, so I have a degree of affinity for Sting's stuff, but I know almost nothing about this one so I'm not sure if I should bother with it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dunbar posted:

After reading through some of this thread and the 25 year anniversary one on GAF, I've decided to give this series a shot. I like a lot of what I've heard about the series, and it sounds like these games fix a lot of problems that usually bug me in JRPGs.

I already own DDS 1+2, Persona 3+4, Nocturne and Strange Journey. Is there a recommended path to play through the games? I usually see it recommended to play them in the order I listed them but I'm not really sure why.

Of the one's I've seen and/or played, Persona 4 is probably the most accessable, followed by P3, I would play Nocturne after that then Strange Journey. I can't speak for the digital devil games and have no idea where they would go in that list.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would say that DDS is a slightly more forgiving/simpler Nocturne, and thus may be a good primer for the real deal. I haven't played DDS2 though, so I don't know if anything is vastly different for the sequel.

Anyway, having completed Persona 3 and put in around 80 hours into Persona 4, I would say that going straight to P4 is the best way to get introduced to this series, no question. So what if it ruins P3's gameplay? P4 is so much better in every category that I don't think I would have minded playing it first and never touching P3 at all. I played P3 first because "P4 would ruin it", and I regret putting off P4 for so long to be honest.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 11, 2012

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Persona 3 is a good starting point due to it's simplistic battle system. DDS2 is a direct sequel to DDS1, so make sure to play those in order, but P4 is unrelated to P3. Nocturne is great but a bit harder than the others, and SJ is just an rear end in a top hat game. It's pretty good, but it just HATES anyone foolish enough to play it. :sigh:

My recommended order:
P3 -> DDS1 -> DDS2 -> Nocturne -> Strange Journey

You can play P4 whenever you feel like watching a less coherent Scooby Doo episode. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P4 is WAY more coherent than P3 :colbert: I'm actually genuinely impressed with its plot; it's leagues ahead of P3's which was basically an 80 hour After School Special. The murder mystery is definitely more engaging to me than whatever nonsense SEES was all about.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Technique posted:

My recommended order:
P3 -> DDS1 -> DDS2 -> Nocturne -> Strange Journey
This is what I'd recommend as well. P3 is an excellent entry point to the series - P4 is good too, but I think more people have complained about going from P4 to P3 than the other way around. DDS is just a JRPG with character customization (Edit: and I should add that it's the kind of system you can't screw up), no collecting or fusing or whatever, but it'll get you used to the combat system and slogging through annoying dungeons before you start Nocturne. Put Strange Journey off as long as possible.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I think people complain a little too much about going from p4->p3, but it is a little 'smoother' to go 3->4. Honestly though the core advice is this: if you're only going to be able to stomach one ~70 hour JRPG make it persona 4. Another input, I've only played a little bit of nocturne and watched my friend go through some hours of DDS1, so take this however you want: The DDS games are a little more accessible because of the differences in customization, BUT be aware that DDS1 and DDS2 are basically one game and you'll want to play them sequentially which alone can make it very daunting.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
In Devil Survivor 2, what affects how much time you get to spend in a day? I'm on my second playthrough, and the MC has gotten up half an hour later on Thursday and Friday than the guide I'm using says he's supposed to. I can't do any events until 7:00, when the guide says I should be able to do stuff at 6:30. The Bedtime event also came half an hour early on Thursday.

Is the game taking back time it thinks I won't need since Jungo got killed? Or did this happen because I told Airi that the MC gets a lot of sleep?

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Strange Journey was frustrating in ways I've never experienced before, Nocturne doesn't have poo poo on it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sector E :allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Where I decided the developers had their fun and just loving pulled out a map. :unsmith:

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

I enjoyed Sector E and was excited to get back there on my 2nd playthrough. I loved the holy poo poo I'm screwed factor when a hole, warp, or status effect got you. This added a lot of tension to the otherwise, step on every square and uncover the map formula.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What's the sector with the moving floors, D? That was my "ok you want me to use a map I get it" point.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What's the sector with the moving floors, D? That was my "ok you want me to use a map I get it" point.

I believe that was D in the junkyard. I enjoyed that one too with the phase shifting and blackout portions.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dunbar posted:

It depends on what kind of games you like. Nocturne and Strange Journey are very heavy on the dungeon crawling, while the Personas have more balance between that and character interaction. DDS has a little more interaction than Nocturne, but is still very dungeon-y.

While the DDS games are two parts of the same story, each one is relatively short. As such, it may be a good idea to start with the first DDS. If you enjoy that, go on to the second; otherwise, try one of the Personas. 3 generally has a more sombre and serious atmosphere, while 4 is cheerful and upbeat. The opinions on which is better are, as I'm sure you've noticed, somewhat divided :v: so again, pick one based on your preferences.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

After so much excitement for The Golden, this makes me very sad. I almost don't want to play the game at all anymore, knowing that it just won't be the same.

How much money could we throw at the original voice actors to make them come back? :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Uh Chie's voice was pretty bad. Also she sounded like a grandma.

A hA! Is this our CHANCE!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Teddie's new voice (if arena is a preview) is much worse.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tae posted:

Teddie's new voice (if arena is a preview) is much worse.

I think they said something about using someone other than the Arena guy? Not 100% on that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Uh Chie's voice was pretty bad. Also she sounded like a grandma.

A hA! Is this our CHANCE!

Come on now, that's like the best line in the whole game.

I think it's endearing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

King of Solomon posted:

I think they said something about using someone other than the Arena guy? Not 100% on that.

Yes, when they announced P4G for the West someone asked them this. Original article here

quote:

Any news on returning VA cast? Or can we expect replacement voice actors such as Teddy in the Arena Tutorial. If so will these mean reworking all of their voice work?

An official response to your question:

Persona 4 Arena, being a fighting game with one of the most substantial story modes the genre has yet seen, represents one of the most ambitious recording projects in ATLUS history. Every effort was made to retain the fantastic talents of the Persona 3 and Persona 4 voice casts, who were responsible for making those roleplaying games so memorable.

In a couple cases, however—including Teddie, as noticed by fans—and despite our best efforts, circumstances mandated that changes be made. We’re confident in the quality of the final English dub and ask fans to reserve judgment until they can see—or in this case, hear—how each character has been brought to life within the game’s full context.

Any changes for Persona 4 Arena with regards to the voice cast *do not necessarily indicate* changes for Persona 4 Golden.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As long as Troy Baker is still Kanji, I could give less of a gently caress that they're changing Chie and Teddie.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Which reminds me, I exclusively used Yukiko/Chie/Yosuke first time through, I should give the others a chance this time. I remember really not liking Naoto.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Naoto was nice for random encounters but fell short on bosses due to ya know, bosses being immune to instant death. Golden will be changing this up though, the party members are also learning new spells from social linking and Naoto is learning Agidyne (only confirmed spell so far), giving an option for bosses.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh hot drat, mind charged Agidynes. IIRC Naoto is the only one of your party members in P4 to learn Mind Charge, and she could only really use it on Megidolaon.

EDIT: She probably won't get fire boost/amp though. Imagine Yukiko with Mind Charge :D

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tarezax posted:

Oh hot drat, mind charged Agidynes. IIRC Naoto is the only one of your party members in P4 to learn Mind Charge, and she could only really use it on Megidolaon.

EDIT: She probably won't get fire boost/amp though. Imagine Yukiko with Mind Charge :D

Yukiko with Mind Charge would basically make her a better mage then the Main Character.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Adding Mind Charge to Yukiko's obscene Magic stat and SP pool would make her the best party member in the cast by a wide margin, and she arguably has a claim to that title already.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Adding Mind Charge to Yukiko's obscene Magic stat and SP pool would make her the best party member in the cast by a wide margin, and she arguably has a claim to that title already.

Let's not be too hasty here. She could get Invigorate as well. Now imagine that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Which reminds me, I exclusively used Yukiko/Chie/Yosuke first time through, I should give the others a chance this time. I remember really not liking Naoto.
This was my team for most of the game as well. I kept wondering when the hell Chie was going to learn the -dyne spells, and well...yeah. I would've probably switched her out for Teddie a lot sooner had I known. Turns out Teddie not only learns better ice spells, but has some pretty great buffs and healing as well. Yosuke/Yukiko/Teddie is a pretty drat versatile team.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Nessa posted:

After so much excitement for The Golden, this makes me very sad. I almost don't want to play the game at all anymore, knowing that it just won't be the same.

How much money could we throw at the original voice actors to make them come back? :(

I had the same reaction when I first heard but now I doubt that it's going to ruin the game, I assume that atlus knows they won't get anyone as good as the originals but they'll probably get people who are at the least do a well enough job.

(although I'm still hoping that between this point and release they can work something out with teddie's VA :v:)

By the end of the game I was running Yosuke,Teddie and Naoto. Yosuke had some great debuff spells, Teddie was the best healer and Naoto had megidoloan which helped me a lot in the last boss fights.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

This was my team for most of the game as well. I kept wondering when the hell Chie was going to learn the -dyne spells, and well...yeah. I would've probably switched her out for Teddie a lot sooner had I known. Turns out Teddie not only learns better ice spells, but has some pretty great buffs and healing as well. Yosuke/Yukiko/Teddie is a pretty drat versatile team.

Yeah I think those guys are the first S. Links you get so everyone ends up maxing them first and using them exclusively.

Chie basically only has ice spells for knockdowns, but late game her physical attacks can outdamage anyone else. Power Charge + God Hand is the biggest single target damage your teammates can do, it makes her great on bosses.

The problem with having Yukiko and Teddie on the same team is they both have element weaknesses. If you max out S. Links by the end of the game nobody has a weakness but them, so you're giving a lot of enemies potential free turns.

I think it's designed that way so you only use one of them as your healer.

Naoto and Teddie also max out pretty late, I wouldn't be surprised if most players never max Naoto out.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Nessa posted:

Come on now, that's like the best line in the whole game.

I think it's endearing.

This I don't get.

Persona 4 has an excellent localization, but this is one case where not only the actress gave a less than believable performance, but the line itself is simply badly translated. The translator most likely wanted to use the word "chance" because the original line is simply "CHANSU CHANSU!" without thinking how differently that word is used in casual Japanese.

I understand it was funny, but I personally always in favor of fixing a bad translation/performance to a better one, no matter how nostalgic I am for the former.

But what do I care, I'm getting the game tomorrow.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

orenronen posted:

When you've become familiar with the new version I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

orenronen posted:

RUB IT IN MORE :mad:

Didn't realize it's out in Japan so soon. Obviously you can't answer any of the re-localized stuff but let us know if it's a big jump over P4 with all the stuff they've added.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I last posted in this thread a couple months ago asking for advice on the Contrarian King I think, just got a save outside the last boss room and am doing some grinding to get some skills that seem useful. So all this talk about which teammates you used and such is something I can actually participate in. I used Kanji, Chie and Yukiko most of the time until I realised it was better to bring Teddie and Yosuke for the lower levels, level them up and use their SP and then bring in my A team for the higher stuff. I ended up beating every dungeon after Yukiko's castle in one day with that and buying out the vending machines every time they got restocked. Chie never learning dyne didn't bother me, I had personas that could do that and weak ice does well enough for weaknesses. Also her english voice is awesome and she doesn't sound like a grandma.

S. link wise the only ones I didn't max out were Temperance (never even got this one), Magician, Lovers, Tower, Empress and Moon. Not bad for my first go through without using a guide (except to get on the path to the true ending, I did get the right answer when it popped up the big old list of every named character in the game which was pretty awesome.

Game is pretty good, probably going to have to try one of the other ones at some point now. I'll leave playing Persona 3 for like a year though, if I give it enough time the changes from 4 will seem less jarring hopefully.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you have a PSP, Persona 3 Portable would definitely help smooth out the transition. You can actually control party members in that game!

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Endorph posted:

If you have a PSP, Persona 3 Portable would definitely help smooth out the transition. You can actually control party members in that game!

God dammit endorph what the gently caress did you do this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yeah I think those guys are the first S. Links you get so everyone ends up maxing them first and using them exclusively.

Chie basically only has ice spells for knockdowns, but late game her physical attacks can outdamage anyone else. Power Charge + God Hand is the biggest single target damage your teammates can do, it makes her great on bosses.

The problem with having Yukiko and Teddie on the same team is they both have element weaknesses. If you max out S. Links by the end of the game nobody has a weakness but them, so you're giving a lot of enemies potential free turns.

I think it's designed that way so you only use one of them as your healer.

Naoto and Teddie also max out pretty late, I wouldn't be surprised if most players never max Naoto out.
I've been pretty happy with the protection afforded by the various dodging accessories for their weaknesses. Haven't had any knockdown problems with the final dungeon, which is where I switched her out. It just seems weird to me to not -dyne spells on all three party members I guess :shobon: Otherwise you're asking your MC to pull double-duty on heavy ice damage and elec damage.

It's smart to not bring in Kanji/Naoto at least because that's a whole extra set of armor and equipment to maintain. Keeping your party the same as much as possible means you can also only buy stuff for them as well.

E: On my New Game+ run I'm probably going to stick with Chie though for simplicity's sake, now that I know that she'll never learn the -dyne spells and plan around that accordingly.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 12, 2012