Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Just beat Serious Sam 3 on Easy a little while ago (I could have probably gone one difficulty level up and not had much trouble, but oh well). A lot better than SS2, although the level design got a bit repetitive at times, and it feels like there weren't as many enemy varieties.

And as with the previous games, the developers apparently have a huge boner for the kleer skeletons; they're the most annoying enemy in the game, so of course, they appear very often, and in very large numbers. Really, I'm not sure why I enjoy these games as much as I do, since a bunch of the enemies are really annoying.

So another game down, and countless more to go. I've been bad about buying games again, though only ones on sale. I got all the games in GOG's current sale that I didn't already have, and I bought the Thief games from Steam last weekend.

Not sure what I'll go through next. Maybe the last two Strongbad episodes that I haven't played yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Beat Prince of Persia The Two Thrones and Kane and Lynch: Dead Men. Both were pretty short, but really fun. Both endings for Kane and Lynch were depressing though.

Now Playing: Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat Skyrim. 50 hours exactly. I did most of the Companions questline, finished the College of Winterhold quest line, and then just powered through the main quest once I hit about 35 hours. I figure I probably saw only about 40% of the content in the game, and it's absolutely fantastic, but after a while the dungeons started to seem pretty same-y and I got tired of jarls and innkeeps asking for my help with their stupid problems. But the world of Skyrim is indeed jaw-droppingly beautiful and just wandering around harvesting butterfly wings is fun and engaging.

Next up: trying to decide between CoD4, Lone Survivor and Crusader Kings II.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger, finishing off the Kilrathi Saga.

In short: :gonk::suicide::gonk:

Kind of a downer ending. Everyone you know from the previous games is either dead when it starts or dies in the course of the game, with the exception of Maniac and Tolwyn (ie, the two people you want most not to survive) and Paladin (who is shilling for Tolwyn's genocide projects now). The Confederation has not one but TWO planet-destroying superweapons in the works, and by the end of the game you have, in fact, blown up Kilrah. Congratulations, you're a mass murderer and your boss is a change in uniform away from being Grand Moff Tarkin. Also, Hobbes turns coat and you have to kill him yourself, as you didn't feel lovely enough already.

On the gameplay side of things, it's kind of a departure from the previous games, ditching WC1 and 2's small dogfights in relatively fragile ships in exchange for a more Freespace-esque huge missile bays vs. huge numbers of enemy ships swarm approach, which I didn't really like, partly because I prefer the WC1/2 style to begin with and partly because Freespace did it much better. The live action FMV looks better in some ways and worse in others, but it doesn't matter because briefings have been gutted, debriefings are gone entirely, and there's much less conversation in general, despite the game taking up four discs rather than three floppies.

I'm glad to have finally finished the trilogy but I can't honestly say that I enjoyed Wing Commander 3.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lamacq posted:

Next up: trying to decide between CoD4, Lone Survivor and Crusader Kings II.
If you've never finished the CoD4 single-player campaign, you really should. There's a reason the game set off a modern-shooter craze, and it's not because of its gripping multiplayer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Crysis Warhead.

This is not a good week for me in terms of game choices. At least it was short.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Beat Max Payne yesterday. I don't think I've ever quick saved/loaded so much in a video game. I just had to go in each room perfectly and take down as many enemies as I could with only 1 slow jump. Overall, it was an extremely fun short game, but holly molly does Max love his long winded metaphors.

Next I'll do Max Payne 2, since that seems like the most obvious choice.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Beat Max Payne yesterday. I don't think I've ever quick saved/loaded so much in a video game. I just had to go in each room perfectly and take down as many enemies as I could with only 1 slow jump. Overall, it was an extremely fun short game, but holly molly does Max love his long winded metaphors.

Next I'll do Max Payne 2, since that seems like the most obvious choice.
You were in a computer game.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
I went to sign up for this and the steam2backloggery program craps out for me, it may be because I don't have my steam games in the actual steam folder (using a dynamic link to store them elsewhere since steam insists on trying to use my C drive). Any idea for a workaround or am I just gonna have to suck it up and add the games manually?

The error, in case anyone cares : http://imgur.com/dSjs2

sheepdemon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 7, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

sheepdemon posted:

I went to sign up for this and the steam2backloggery program craps out for me, it may be because I don't have my steam games in the actual steam folder (using a dynamic link to store them elsewhere since steam insists on trying to use my C drive). Any idea for a workaround or am I just gonna have to suck it up and add the games manually?
Install Steam on your drive where your Steam games are.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zedicus Mann posted:

Some of the hallucinations in the game were really annoying. The one where you had to navigate the hallways gave me trouble before I figured out you have to follow the sound. :doh:

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

Zedicus Mann posted:

Install Steam on your drive where your Steam games are.

Turns out I'm a liar and Steam games are in the Steam folder, it was Origin I had to do the link thing with.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Zedicus Mann posted:

Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

Edit: VVVVV Side note, thanks ToxicFrog for your app. <3 it.

Malek fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 7, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sheepdemon posted:

The error, in case anyone cares : http://imgur.com/dSjs2

steam2backloggery doesn't look at your installed games at all, it looks at your Steam profile page - which means your Steam profile needs to be public for it to work. Yours isn't.

If it still doesn't work even with a public profile, either Steam or Backloggery has changed their site format again and broken it. God forbid they expose a stable API I can use.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

Oh poo poo, yeh I took it off public recently due to assholes trying to get my earbuds off me, thanks, ill change it for this (turns out there is a seperate section for profile and inventory anyway, doh)

sheepdemon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 7, 2012

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Beaten: Hard Reset. Satisfying robot shooter that needs more variety and ends so abruptly I honestly thought the game glitched out. Good anyway while it lasts.

Also beaten: Ben there, Dan that. Not my style at all.

Next up is probably Hydrophobia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wow, the Batman Arkham City DLC was disappointingly short. Two hours, maybe, if you're hunting achievements. Definitely not worth $10, unless you're just now buying it and getting the GotY edition, maybe.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Well, I finally landed a job a few weeks ago after 10 months of applying, interviewing, getting rejected, rinse, repeat. So the progress on my backlog is going to slow considerably, but on the upside I'll actually have money to buy games in the Steam summer sale!

Hey, wait a sec... :negative:

Anyway,

NULLED: Korsakovia (Source mod). This is another project by thechineseroom, the same team who made Dear Esther, and unfortunately a patch to the Source engine since its release has rendered it incredibly crash-happy. I eventually got to a point where the game would crash after loading any of my saves, so I had to Null it until an update comes out.

But honestly, I'm not even sure whether or not I'd want to finish Korsakovia. Not that it's a bad game; in fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's a work of pure genius, and I don't use that phrase lightly. It's just... disturbing on some base, visceral level that no other game I've ever played has touched - not in the jump-scare sense, nor even the Silent Hill body-horror level. While playing it, you actually get the feeling that you're taking a journey through the head of a madman, and the fact that thechineseroom were able to reach that suspension of disbelief using mostly recycled Half-Life 2 assets makes me wonder what they could do if they decided to polish it into a commercial product like they did Dear Esther.

Until then, my plea to thechineseroom: please patch this mod!

BEAT: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate. Here's an analogy for you all: F.E.A.R. Extraction Point is to Half-Life Opposing Force as Perseus Mandate is to Blue Shift. That should really tell you all you need to know.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Work and side projects picked up a lot this month so I got almost no playing done, and when I did have some spare time, I was in no mood to play much of anything more complicated than Bejeweled.

As such, I've started a "catharsis mode" game of Dungeons of Dredmor - easy, no permadeath, and a skillset I've never really tried (pretty much Maximum Rogue, with no Mana-related skills at all).

Once I'm in a gaming mood again, it'll probably be back to Rayman Origins, and then Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Backlog's stayed pretty static (basically already having everything in the bundles will do that for you) though I expect that to change since my last birthday was full of "have one PS3 game's worth of money; go spend it on Steam".

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Beat 2 this week:

Max Payne 2: I thought the combat was better than the first. It felt like you actually had to use the regular time slow instead of time jumping all over the place like in the first game. Having the time meter refill as you just run around is a much better system I feel. I did notice that Max's voice seemed a bit different. Could they not get the same voice actor, or did he just change it?

Burnout Paradise: This is actually a really big deal for me as it's the first racing game I've beaten on Steam and the 2nd racing game I've ever beat after the original GT on Playstation. It was quite a ride, and what made it better was the photo finish at the end of the last event. I was literally an inch ahead of the other racer. Sooooo satisfying to beat the game like that.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Max Payne 2: I thought the combat was better than the first. It felt like you actually had to use the regular time slow instead of time jumping all over the place like in the first game. Having the time meter refill as you just run around is a much better system I feel. I did notice that Max's voice seemed a bit different. Could they not get the same voice actor, or did he just change it?
It's the same voice actor in all three games. Maybe just his attitude changing from the first game explains his voice change?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zedicus Mann posted:

It's the same voice actor in all three games. Maybe just his attitude changing from the first game explains his voice change?

Yea, maybe. I don't know he just seems a bit different.

I'll have to grab Max Payne 3 to finish off the trilogy some time this summer. I hope it's as good as the original games, even though I know Remedy didn't make it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Beat Max Payne 2 as well. It still holds up from when I last played it. It fixes the issues from the first one like the stupid difficulty across the last few levels, and the grenades. In MP1 if a grenade landed anywhere near you it was almost impossible to get away before it blew up. The bullet time is modified to make the gunplay more :krad:

Also beat Garshasp: The Monster Slayer. It could have been quite good, but it is janky and unpolished as gently caress. There are also some poor design decisions. Sliding down walls :kratos:

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yea, maybe. I don't know he just seems a bit different.

I'll have to grab Max Payne 3 to finish off the trilogy some time this summer. I hope it's as good as the original games, even though I know Remedy didn't make it.
It's different, but it's not bad.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Beat two freeware games, Ib and Cave Story. Ib was a fun little rpg maker game. Originally I tried playing Cave Story a long time ago, but I was really bad at it and couldn't finish it. Thankfully I got the hang of the game in this playthrough.

For triple A titles, I just beat LoZ: Skyward Sword. The game was disappointing for me, with the game constantly telling you the answer to every puzzle. Flying around in the sky is pretty dull because the small island only have chests on them. The 3 areas you keep backtracking to are not that fun to travel through, and with the 7th visit you'll be annoyed. It really seems like they spent so much time on the wiimote controls they didn't have enough time to put a good LoZ game around the mechanics.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Decided I needed something lighthearted and whimsical while beating down string processing in C for my thesis, ended up playing Cargo: The Quest for Gravity start to finish - it's a pretty short game.

In a word: :lsd::stare:

It's a very different kind of crazy from The Void - and much, much easier, sufficiently so that I don't think it's even possible to lose - but you can tell they're still figuring out the correct dosage for...whatever it is they're on.

Despite its sandboxy appearance it doesn't really have a lot of stuff to do or a lot of staying power, but the "main game" is short enough that the game is pretty much as long (or short) as you want it to be.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
My student life ended and I became a full-time employee some time ago. With my gaming time reduced, and my budget increased, it was time to take action.

After I got the last Humble Bundle gifted despite my reservations on how they're all action games, I added all the games I own to backloggery to see how bad my addiction habit had become.

I'm considering going on a gaming fast for a year, only accepting gifts. I have enough unplayed games anyway.

Currently playing: The Movies, Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Beat: Rogue Warrior: Not as bad as its Metacritic score of 29 suggests. Okay, don't get me wrong, it's a basic cover shooter in a completely uninspired setting, but it's not buggy or unplayable. (Reviews point to a raft of technical issues, maybe it's patched or I'm just lucky?). I beat it in a bit over 2 hours, which is the perfect length as I was over it by then. If you paid full price for it you'd be understandably pissed, but I got it in the Quakecon pack with a million other games for $40 so who gives a poo poo.

The most distinctive aspect of this game is your character of Dick Marcinko voiced by Mickey Rourke. He swears nonstop, everytime he kills anyone. If you have a developed sense of humour you would find the nonstop xenophobic vulgarity tasteless and offensive. I don't, so I found it hilarious. He even sings a song in the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

It's quite easy on normal difficulty. I'm sure a few of you have this game sitting shamefully on your Steam list so give it a try.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm currently playing through Dead Island, and I'm having a blast with it. I've noticed a few bugs, probably due to it being the PC version (weapons and *alcohol* randomly equipping when I pick them up, one or two weapons disappearing when I try modding them), but otherwise, I'm having a lot more fun than I expected. I'm about halfway through, and have been trying to do as many side-quests as I can. Between this, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Just Cause 2, I seem to be a huge fan of "open world" games.

Steam shows that I've put about 14 hours into it so far, so it will probably take me a little while longer to finish. Despite the size of my backlog, though, I'm in no hurry, since I'm actually enjoying it and am not constantly wondering "How many more chapters/levels until I finish?" like I seem to do with many other games, even ones I don't actually hate.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

dflanny posted:

Beat: Rogue Warrior: Not as bad as its Metacritic score of 29 suggests. Okay, don't get me wrong, it's a basic cover shooter in a completely uninspired setting, but it's not buggy or unplayable. (Reviews point to a raft of technical issues, maybe it's patched or I'm just lucky?). I beat it in a bit over 2 hours, which is the perfect length as I was over it by then. If you paid full price for it you'd be understandably pissed, but I got it in the Quakecon pack with a million other games for $40 so who gives a poo poo.

The most distinctive aspect of this game is your character of Dick Marcinko voiced by Mickey Rourke. He swears nonstop, everytime he kills anyone. If you have a developed sense of humour you would find the nonstop xenophobic vulgarity tasteless and offensive. I don't, so I found it hilarious. He even sings a song in the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

It's quite easy on normal difficulty. I'm sure a few of you have this game sitting shamefully on your Steam list so give it a try.

Your post has made me want to play this, haha. The swearing with every kill, in particular. :)

Once I finish up with Chaser (a game I both like and hate), I'll move onto Rogue Warrior! Thanks for the writeup.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Eh! Frank posted:

I'm currently playing through Dead Island, and I'm having a blast with it.

We need to start organizing multiplayer games so we don't have to do these drat Backloggeries alone. The game mood totally changes with another person.

Goes from single player survival horror on a paradise island to the most whacked out "what can physics break now" fun fest.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

Currently playing: The Movies, Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius.

The Movies and Evil Genius will consume your time, all I know is your better off playing through 3 Call of Duty games in the length of time you'd need to clear one of those games.

Though at least your enjoying your free time.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Chinook posted:

Your post has made me want to play this, haha. The swearing with every kill, in particular. :)

Once I finish up with Chaser (a game I both like and hate), I'll move onto Rogue Warrior! Thanks for the writeup.

I was so tempted by Chaser, some lovely early 2000s fps for $1.25, but I forgot to buy it :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

dflanny posted:

I was so tempted by Chaser, some lovely early 2000s fps for $1.25, but I forgot to buy it :(

Good news: Summer Sale in like ten days! Bad news: it's as terrible as you have heard it is! At least Rogue Warrior is vaguely amusing due to all the dumb swearing. Chaser does not seem to have any redeemable feature.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I remember vaguely playing the demo of Chaser back in the day. it didn't do too mucb for me then becaause the demo was a sewer level for some unknown reason. Way to try and sell your game guys!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dflanny posted:

I remember vaguely playing the demo of Chaser back in the day. it didn't do too mucb for me then becaause the demo was a sewer level for some unknown reason. Way to try and sell your game guys!

Serious question: has there been any game in which the sewer level wasn't total poo poo?

I'm not confident in my ability to evaluate sewer levels fairly, since they cause reflexive nausea ever since I played FF8, but I sure can't think of any.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Chinook posted:

That end credits song is really fantastic. I have no interest in the game, but I also enjoyed the Giant Bomb quick look (XBox version but I don't think it matters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIjdDZ7fPQ

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Serious question: has there been any game in which the sewer level wasn't total poo poo?

I'm not confident in my ability to evaluate sewer levels fairly, since they cause reflexive nausea ever since I played FF8, but I sure can't think of any.

I... really don't know. I'm not sure how exciting you can make a sewer. And why do sewer levels even exist anyway. Like who the hell ever hangs out in a sewer. Is it just game devs being fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as kids and being like, yeah man, sewers!!!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The opening to Oblivion was a sewer and it was fun. It's problem was just repeating it every time you made a new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The opening to Oblivion was a sewer and it was fun. It's problem was just repeating it every time you made a new character.

Well, it was a bunch of ruins/catacombs and then some caves and then ruins again and then a sewer for like 30 seconds and then you're out of there.

The sewers in Vivec were alright, I guess? Not great but I don't really hate them.