Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wasn't King's Quest at the very least groundbreaking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The first two or three, yes. After that they were just generic adventure games with loads of trial and error bullshit and cheap deaths.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah, it was. They were the first real graphical adventures.

While I don't have any interest in any more King's Quest games, KQIII was ~my first adventure game~ so the series will always find a soft spot in my heart.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

macnbc posted:

Roberta Williams wouldn't dare make a game for "average people" now. She'd probably see it as slumming.

Wikipedia posted:

However, in 2011, the video game website Gamezebo reported that Roberta Williams was working on a social network game called Odd Manor.

I can't wait to see what a Facebook game for people of a certain income or education level looks like.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
I loved King's Quest 6. But then I haven't played it since I was a kid. Maybe it's better to keep the great memories.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Occupation posted:

No, no it wasn't. At all.

Anyways she's been shown to be an elitist rich douche after the fact sooooooooooooooooo

And yet there she is sitting in a hot-tube with no sign of a swimsuit on the cover of Soft-Core Adventures.

Seriously though, KQ is a series that was bullshit but innovative for the first few and then dropped the innovative part. Go watch the Retsupurae's by Slowbeef and Diabeetus of KQV/VI for demonstrations of their unfairness.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it was. They were the first real graphical adventures.

Tennis For Two was innovative and groundbreaking but I'd rather play Pong anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

seorin posted:

This ranks pretty high up on the list of things that make me embarrassed to be a gamer. It's like shining a light behind your fridge to discover a bunch of cockroaches, only instead of scattering they start lunging at you and crawling up your pants leg. I can't up my donation more than I already have, and I'm not sure how much good it would do anyway, but drat if I don't want to donate more anyway just because of this bullshit. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that, either. These trolls are apparently completely unfamiliar with the Streisand effect.

And now we're up to 1100 percent. Considering how much funding comes in within the last few hours, what're the odds she might hit upwards of 13 or 1400?

Even though I still can't really afford it, I added a little bit to the pile.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wonder how much she'd make if she actually announced what she was going to do with it. :v:

At this point, I'm pulling for involving developers directly (interviews and such) and expanded coursework / curriculum. Higher production values too, but you can dump an infinite amount of money into that so I'd prefer more solid content first. Hell, at this point she could hire a few grad students to do a lot of the gruntwork of actually playing video games (or watching LP's all day.)

What I hope it doesn't lead to is a year of weekly 30 minute deconstructions of individual games, 'cause I think that would get boring fast. But whatever! A few of those might be nice too -- I would like a Metroid: Other M special. What about a show on the evolution of breast physics?

Huh, the top reward tier is gone.

E: Hey, Shmorky just donated. And a guy from Bungie, neat.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 12, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Barudak posted:

And yet there she is sitting in a hot-tube with no sign of a swimsuit on the cover of Soft-Core Adventures.

Seriously though, KQ is a series that was bullshit but innovative for the first few and then dropped the innovative part. Go watch the Retsupurae's by Slowbeef and Diabeetus of KQV/VI for demonstrations of their unfairness.
To be fair it was part of their business model. Hintbooks were a very lucrative business before the internet came to be. :v: Although out of all the Sierra series, King's Quest was definitely my least favorite.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just gave the Tropes & Women project $25 just to spite the harassers.

I'm also thinking of backing the Nuka Cola Season 2 project.. I watched the first one-shot episode and thought it was decent even if I'm not really a Fallout fan. Could anyone who has seen the first episode tell me if it's any good? For $25 you get both seasons so I'm curious.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 12, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Cult reached its $5,000 goal already, and is at about $6,500 with 23 days still to go.

I mean, sure, on one hand this is obviously much smaller-scale than a lot of other projects, but it seems to be doing significantly better than Malevolence: The Infinite RPG (though that did end up hitting ~$35,000 with a similar initial goal). I am curious as to whether it is:

1. The fact that lots of the tiers cover naming rights to different sorts of NPCs in the game
or
2. The fact that everybody apparently wants more Roguelike games

That is leading to its rapid success? Perhaps both!

All I know is, 2013 is going to be the Year of Seeing "Quarex" Show Up In Games :smug:

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Quarex posted:

Cult reached its $5,000 goal already, and is at about $6,500 with 23 days still to go.

I mean, sure, on one hand this is obviously much smaller-scale than a lot of other projects, but it seems to be doing significantly better than Malevolence: The Infinite RPG (though that did end up hitting ~$35,000 with a similar initial goal). I am curious as to whether it is:

1. The fact that lots of the tiers cover naming rights to different sorts of NPCs in the game
or

All I know is, 2013 is going to be the Year of Seeing "Quarex" Show Up In Games :smug:

I suspect that it is going well because of how good the guy's world gen looks.
I have confidence in him completing the project based on that alone.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Quarex posted:

This post is great, because whether it is serious or sarcastic, it is actually serious. Because either you learned a lot about Kickstarter inbetween all the debates about things on Kickstarter, or you are making a comment about how Kickstarter is mostly arguing about the merits of various Kickstarters, which is basically true at this point.

:thejoke:

This thread and the Awful Kickstarters thread certainly have begun creeping closer together in content, which is funny.

I did in fact think ahead and mean it in both ways. :thejoke:

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Again, <3 Brian Mitsoda and the crew and I wish them all the best, but this poor Dead State Kickstarter is doing the whole two steps forward one step back thing. Check out their latest update about rewards. A bunch of cool physical stuff... plus a picture of one of the weapons from their stretch goal, all ready to go into the game :doh:

Someone needs to explain to them that "stretch goals" work best when you can at least plausibly claim that you need the extra money to implement them. Showing off a partially finished stretch goal when you're not even 3/4ths of the way to your normal goal is... inapposite at best.
They should make hiring the guy who made the character portraits for Age of Decadence a stretch goal. You can see some of them as avatars on the Irontower forum, they're seriously fantastic.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Magical Zero posted:

They should make hiring the guy who made the character portraits for Age of Decadence a stretch goal. You can see some of them as avatars on the Irontower forum, they're seriously fantastic.
I think you can see them all here. That is a pretty good idea, they are indeed pretty great.

The new physical tiers seem to have jogged Dead State into a higher gear today. They've pulled in twice the money today as yesterday, and the average donation has jumped up $40 to about $62 per pledge.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rebel Blob posted:

I think you can see them all here. That is a pretty good idea, they are indeed pretty great.

Are those photoshopped photos? A few of them look an awful lot like celebrities or actors I can't quite name.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
That bullet is pretty sweet, but $80 is too rich for my blood.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Quarex posted:

or

What does this mean:
Cult is written entirely in Python, and utilizes the libTCOD roguelike library to make text look purty. Yes, that's correct - Cult so far is only text.

Please don't tell me a "game" that has only text so far has gotten $6000.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It means it's ascii graphics only, right now. Like most other roguelikes.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

illiniguy01 posted:

What does this mean:
Cult is written entirely in Python, and utilizes the libTCOD roguelike library to make text look purty. Yes, that's correct - Cult so far is only text.

Firstly this is totally normal for a roguelike, secondly libtcod has support for more than ascii.

e: most roguelikes (including every single popular one) has astronomically more effort put into it than $6000 would buy you.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Barudak posted:

In the manual for the Leisure Suit Larry collection, Roberta's face on the cover has been obscured, undoubtedly as a result of her own demand. Al Lowe's face was chosen to replace it.

That wasn't a joke I was making, by the way. If it were a joke, I still would have said it, or something similar, but nope.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 13, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

illiniguy01 posted:

What is this crap? Yes, games can use only or mostly text. Some good games even do it, no need for the incredulous quotes. If it's not your cup of tea there's no need to poo poo in it.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

illiniguy01 posted:

Works for Dwarf Fortress.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Antitonic posted:

Works for Dwarf Fortress.

I'm actually surprised at how steady the donations continue to roll in for Toady. It seems like the "craze", as relatively minor as it was, died down a couple years ago, but the last two years he saw over $40k in donations each. That's enough for him to live on. 2011 was his second biggest year. This year is on track to be the biggest yet.

Is he still working on the game by himself?

I would totally back a Dwarf Fortress Kickstarter, if it meant Toady hiring actual help and getting a solid interface and maybe even simple 2D tile based graphics in the game. But Toady is crazy and doesn't believe in charging any money for the game he's spent the last 5 years of his life working full time on.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 13, 2012

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm actually surprised at how steady the donations continue to roll in for Toady. It seems like the "craze", as relatively minor as it was, died down a couple years ago, but the last two years he saw over $40k in donations each. That's enough for him to live on. 2011 was his second biggest year. This year is on track to be the biggest yet.

Is he still working on the game by himself?

I would totally back a Dwarf Fortress Kickstarter, if it meant Toady hiring actual help and getting a solid interface and maybe even simple 2D tile based graphics in the game. But Toady is crazy and doesn't believe in charging any money for the game he's spent the last 5 years of his life working full time on.

Toady also doesn't believe in letting anyone see his source code but him (yes, it's still a one-man operation), so I can't see what a Kickstarter would fund, unless donations really dry up.

Still, good on him for getting all that money. It blows my mind how consistently huge his donation total is month-to-month.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

I decided to support a game called Word Realms because the people making it are pretty cool. It is close to its goal but is also ending soon. I'd love to see it get funded.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nuka Break Season 2 made it to 200% funding. This means more Tim Cain and Chris Avellone!

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

illiniguy01 posted:

What does this mean:

What the hell is wrong with you?

Speaking of Cult, does anyone else hope he doesn't reach his 10K milestone and get a tileset artist because the ASCII is so beautiful?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tufty posted:

Speaking of Cult, does anyone else hope he doesn't reach his 10K milestone and get a tileset artist because the ASCII is so beautiful?

Presumably even if he does there'd still be an option to use text mode.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

illiniguy01 posted:

implying roguelikes aren't games

Boy, do I have some news for you.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 13, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Feminist Frequency is about to hit $100,000. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

What happened on the 12th to cause such a huge spike?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

something posted:

What happened on the 12th to cause such a huge spike?

More and more people finding out about all the people who threatened to rape her and the media coverage that came from that.

edit: and it's past 100K.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

NINbuntu 64 posted:

More and more people finding out about all the people who threatened to rape her and the media coverage that came from that.

edit: and it's past 100K.

Haha that's awesome. The best kind of backfiring.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tufty posted:

Looking at his screenshots, he's not really usIng ASCII text, though, he's using a text rendering engine with a custom font to create a (probably lovely to author for) pixel art. ANSI-style pixel art is cool as an accomplishment over limitations of hardware, but his are largely self-imposed software limitations.

It looks nice for what it is. That's not a cOmpliment to any aspect of the game other than their artist himself.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Very nice. RPS just released a pretty good summary article of all the misogynistic attacks on her KickStarter: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/13/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games-vs-the-internet/

It's a pretty good writeup and expresses how horrible people have been at quite some length.

Sigma-X posted:

Looking at his screenshots, he's not really usIng ASCII text, though, he's using a text rendering engine with a custom font to create a (probably lovely to author for) pixel art. ANSI-style pixel art is cool as an accomplishment over limitations of hardware, but his are largely self-imposed software limitations.

It looks nice for what it is. That's not a cOmpliment to any aspect of the game other than their artist himself.

It's fun to see people make cool things with limitations, self-imposed or otherwise.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

All her trolls got what they deserved - they got her a whole shitload of money.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It's not a game, but I think its really funny that VENUS PATROL raised a hundred thousand dollars for their video game blog (months and months ago) and the website still refers people to their kickstarter.

Its really easy to scam people with this and nobody gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Heran Bago posted:

All her trolls got what they deserved - they got her a whole shitload of money.

Forgive me for linking this, but I find this hilarious.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/143129695

Basically some very upset 4channers are playing with the idea of making an opposing kickstarter.