Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Saoshyant posted:

Good news: Summer Sale in like ten days! Bad news: it's as terrible as you have heard it is! At least Rogue Warrior is vaguely amusing due to all the dumb swearing. Chaser does not seem to have any redeemable feature.

It's really fun if you play on easy and are okay with getting lost because there is no waypoint or map and the objectives are sometimes difficult to find. (Think of it as realistic!) Sure, it's not GOOD, but there are plenty of nice touches if you can see past some of the badness. :) Think of it as a retarded Perfect Dark, with all the good and bad that entails.

[The sewer level was the first time you got to fight the Triad/Yakuza guys in the cool suits, so I kinda liked it. Just keep in mind that I like bad games.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Good news: Summer Sale in like ten days!
Where did you get this info?!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Nulled: Osmos. I cannot beat this game. The last two levels of it are harder than 100%-ing Super Meat Boy or VVVVV for me, and I'd rather use the time I'd need in order to beat them to, I dunno, build a real car from scratch.

Next I'll play something that's as far removed from Osmos as possible. I think I'm going to have nightmares about orbiting planets and Sisyphean tasks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thoughtless posted:

Nulled: Osmos. I cannot beat this game.

Don't feel bad. It's an unwinnable piece of poo poo and made that way on purpose.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Containment: The Zombie Puzzler - An odd game for sure, looks simple enough but was actually deceivingly difficult at points, especially towards the end with the Z-Rex / Undead Dino Skeleton which took way too long to deal with. Still a fun game and worth checking out. Steam says I played it for 2 hours, so the campaign only takes about an hour.

I'm currently playing a few games, Syndicate(2012 remake/reboot thing) - which isn't all that good really, plus the bloom is too blinding in some levels, Machinarium - which is really, really tough to solve for some reason, and Blocks that Matter - which is quirky and fun and a little too frustrating at some points...

Man, I must suck at gaming if these are giving me strife!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Saoshyant posted:

Don't feel bad. It's an unwinnable piece of poo poo and made that way on purpose.

Yeah, I started playing this when I got it in a Humble Bundle as it looked pretty chill from the video. After a few levels it hit a difficulty cliff. I persisted with it for a bit but quickly gave up.

Edit: In fact, in an amazing coincidence, I'm giving away a copy of this on Steamgifts! It's public, so you'll have to compete with the unwashed masses, but your chances of winning are still higher than actually beating this game!

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/xB0W4/osmos

put both hands in fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 14, 2012

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PowerBeard posted:

Machinarium - which is really, really tough to solve for some reason

Machinarium's cluing is loving awful. I honestly have no idea why the game is as well regarded as it is.

Thoughtless posted:

Nulled: Osmos. I cannot beat this game. The last two levels of it are harder than 100%-ing Super Meat Boy or VVVVV for me, and I'd rather use the time I'd need in order to beat them to, I dunno, build a real car from scratch.

Seriously, go check out those global achievements. Nobody beats Force.

(Getting all the trinkets in VVVVVV is totally worth it though. I can't imagine beating Osmos could remotely compare.)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'd just like to say how relieved I am to hear you lot complain about Osmos. I nulled it ages ago because it suddenly got tough as poo poo and I couldn't beat it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

Machinarium's cluing is loving awful. I honestly have no idea why the game is as well regarded as it is.

Yeah, they're next game, Botanicula, just felt so fluid and easy by comparison, at least its puzzles were somewhat solve-able.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah, it's the last two or three Force levels that I can't beat. Those are some achievement statistics. 1.9% beat Force and all of those 1.9% also beat the whole game.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Because it's really charming. This applies to other Amanita games too. I'm also playing this right now and it gets kinda dumb but at least there is the hint system.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xik posted:

I'd just like to say how relieved I am to hear you lot complain about Osmos. I nulled it ages ago because it suddenly got tough as poo poo and I couldn't beat it.

Osmos was a big disappointment to me because it starts off as a nice chill orbital physics-y puzzle game and then a few levels in it suddenly goes ALRIGHT BEND OVER

The opening (which is also the loving demo) completely misrepresents the game.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zedicus Mann posted:

Where did you get this info?!

Last year it started at the end of June and ended around July 4th, so I think that's where most people are getting it from.

I beat Dead Island this week after deciding to use my 360 controller with analog combat enabled. It was sooo much better than using M+B. Nothing is more satisfying than hitting a Thug's arms with a baseball bat till they break at the bone and hang down by his sides. The gun combat was a satisfying detour at times from the melee gameplay and made it feel a bit less repetitive. The story and dialog on the other hand was pretty awful, but then again, I don't play zombie games for the those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I picked up the Hundle a little while back, and I've beaten LIMBO and completed Psychonauts, the latter 100%.

Unfortunately, I also ended up getting DotP13, so I'm hoping I'll be able to at least finish that.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Osmos was a big disappointment to me because it starts off as a nice chill orbital physics-y puzzle game and then a few levels in it suddenly goes ALRIGHT BEND OVER

Osmos is on my Backloggery, do I remove it now or play up to the point it makes me its bitch?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

Osmos is on my Backloggery, do I remove it now or play up to the point it makes me its bitch?

Play it to that point, it's not bad game. Or just do everything except the Force levels.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

Play it to that point, it's not bad game. Or just do everything except the Force levels.

Yeah, feels like I should at least try. I hate nullifying recently released games.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Thoughtless posted:

The early force levels were kind of neat. I'd say play it breadth-first; Ambient was kinda neat and Sentient was great - Force is clever but maybe too clever for its own good.

In my own backlog news, I actually beat Dungeons of Dredmor. It was in TINIEST OF BABIES MODE (Easy, No Permadeath, No Time To Grind, no Realm of the Diggle Gods) but I did it with a nearly-pure Rogue build (Swords, Bows, Dodge, Burglar, Assassin, Perception, Archaeologist) - I couldn't craft anything that wasn't level 0, and I had no abilities whatsoever that used mana. Dredmor fell to a Bolt-Council-Standard Iron Bolt.

Launched from a loving clockwork railgun Brax was selling right outside his door, and backed up with EYE LASERS.

Victory is sweet, even though I hadn't really slotted this in in the first place.

I guess I should go back to Rayman Origins now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Progress!

Completed Sam and Max: Season 2. Absolutely hilarious and far superior to the first one. Can't wait to get to the third one.

Then I went into a RTS binge and finally:

Beat Starcraft 2, the campaign. Been playing it on and off since last Christmas and it was a great time. I'll have to take some time off to learn the multiplayer aspect so I can put some scrubs in their place.

Completed Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, all three campaigns. I knew there was a reason why I've been in love with this series since the 90's.

I'm still working on completing Bastion, but the Author challenge is a pain in the butt. Only recommended to the brusher masters.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Beat Jamestown. Great game. I might try finishing all the challenges too but one of them is incredibly difficult to obscure Japanese bullet hell levels. I think I've lost 50 times already, but unlike some other games I'm enjoying my total lack of progress and repeated dumb deaths.

Nulled EDGE. Boring, so very boring. Cubes are boring. I like puzzle games but man, this isn't interesting or fun at all. It was included in some bundle so I don't feel guilty about not playing it more.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

Nulled EDGE. Boring, so very boring. Cubes are boring. I like puzzle games but man, this isn't interesting or fun at all. It was included in some bundle so I don't feel guilty about not playing it more.

I played the demo for EDGE, all I remember were that the controls were messed up. DO you get used to it at all, or is it a distraction throughout?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

I played the demo for EDGE, all I remember were that the controls were messed up. DO you get used to it at all, or is it a distraction throughout?

Depends on what part of them annoyed you. It's cube racing, the game, so the controls always feel like you're racing a cube. They're intentionally clunky, I think.

If you mean how the keys correspond to the isometric view, then yeah, that you do get used to.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just finished Amnesia. Was pretty good overall but holy poo poo it scared me at some points.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Finally got around to finishing Bioshock after several attempts. I still don't understand why Andrew Ryan wanted to be beaten to death with a golf club.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Convex posted:

Finally got around to finishing Bioshock after several attempts. I still don't understand why Andrew Ryan wanted to be beaten to death with a golf club.
To prove his point about ~Free will~ being the best, and you being to weak to resist and stuff.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

To prove his point about ~Free will~ being the best, and you being to weak to resist and stuff.

In that case, make the player cut off their own hand or something.

Problem solved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PowerBeard posted:

In that case, make the player cut off their own hand or something.

Problem solved.
The guy was old as balls, everything was going to poo poo, and he wanted to go out on his terms.

Makes sense to me, in a weird "We want this to happen, how can we justify it?" kind of way.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
NULLED: Prince of Persia (2008). I've finally come to the conclusion that no new Prince of Persia game will ever be nearly as good as The Sands of Time. In this bizarre, fantasy-themed attempted reboot of the franchise, I really enjoyed the setting and the simplified controls. But, despite the impressive technology on display, PoP 2008 somehow managed to feel more constrained than any of the PS2-era games. While the SoT trilogy had you leaping and wall-running through grandiose palaces and Arabian cities, PoP 2008's levels just feel like... levels. That fact, plus the combat that they somehow managed to bungle even more than SoT's, meant that playing this one quickly became a chore.

BEAT: VVVVVV. I avoided this one for a while thanks to the "retro" aesthetics, but the simple mono-color environments and C64-style chiptune soundtrack only serve to mask a game with tons of modern trappings. I always enjoy games that eschew convention, and a Metroid-vania-style platformer with no combat, extremely frequent checkpoints, and freedom of movement limited only by your skill level works really well, to the point where I wonder why every other game in that style has the standard hidden save-points and artificial progress-blocking walls. It's also short at about 3 hours' play time, so it never wears out its welcome. Highly recommended.

NULLED: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. I enjoyed this one until the first level with infinitely respawning enemies. No FPS should EVER have infinitely respawning enemies. I just hope the later titles don't, since they're the real reason I bought the BiA pack back when it was on sale.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Beat Magicka. The game went from moderately challenging to hard as balls at times, but I still found it interesting. Chapter 11 is where I started to hit a brick wall as the spells I was using prior to this chapter worked very well, but as soon as I fought the first Yeti I realized that my spells were useless and I had to relearn a new set before I finally finished the chapter. I really think the game is about knowing exactly what combination of spells to use at the exact time, and once you know a fight the game becomes incredibly easy. Still really fun though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Daily deal is Worms Golf...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70620/

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry! At least it's not a tempting game to buy. :)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 17, 2012

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Beat Machinarium. Gorgeous game with really bad adventure game syndrome. If you're not going to obsessively click every pixel to see what you can take, you might as well use a walkthrough. Fun minigames but I hate pixel hunting, so I'm glad it's over.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Last week I had a happening where a friend suggested I get Metro 2033 and play it. A few days later I saw it while scrolling through my list. I guess I'll need to learn to search my Backlog before assuming that I don't own a game.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!
Finally got around to putting together a Backloggery page. I knew I had a pretty big backlog going on but I didnt expect to be really big :eek:.

100+ Games waiting to be finished, and that's only counting the games on my steam account. I've been trying to play through Mount & Blade: Warband but becoming the King of Calradia seems to take a good chunk of time and I really want to start shrinking my backlog before the summer sales hit. Can anyone recommend short games to play on the side?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yummy Dead Cow posted:

100+ Games waiting to be finished, and that's only counting the games on my steam account. I've been trying to play through Mount & Blade: Warband but becoming the King of Calradia seems to take a good chunk of time and I really want to start shrinking my backlog before the summer sales hit. Can anyone recommend short games to play on the side?

Amnesia, Bastion, Ben There Dan That/Time Gentlemen Please, Machinarium, Shadowgrounds 1/2...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Yummy Dead Cow posted:

Can anyone recommend short games to play on the side?

Bastion, Jamestown, Trine, and the Max Payne games are all pretty short and really excellent.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yummy Dead Cow posted:

Can anyone recommend short games to play on the side?

Most of the good ones are already listed, but I'd throw in The Ball, NightSky, and Scoregasm.

I love the crap out of BIT.TRIP RUNNER but this love is to put it mildly not universal.

On the not-good-but-short list, ARES, Limbo, And Yet It Moves, Shank, TRAUMA (easily single-sitting).

Sonic Generations, Psychonauts, Darwinia, and Uplink are really good but are less short than those others (10-20hr).

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Machinarium...

Don't you even dare claim that Machinarium is short, it feels like it'll take forever with its confusing puzzle layout.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!
Thanks for the suggestion you guys. I went ahead and marathoned my way through Machinarium and boy did it seem like a slog for such a short game. Here's a little review I wrote for it.

quote:

While heavy on captivating atmosphere, the slow pacing of the otherwise short game makes for a paradoxically tortuous and pleasing experience. It's obvious that much care was put in to the design of the game and it is a joy to watch the world come to life with its steam-punk aesthetic. However, going through excessively long activities (Unlocking the help book gets really tedious.) and hunting down small items in a highly detailed environment can get really frustrating without a bit of patience.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
In my trend of completing games at aren't really on Steam, here I go...

BEATEN: Medal of Honour (2010)- Really too short and I can see how people found it a forgettable experience, yet somehow I liked it a little more than Battlefield 3's campaign. Maybe because the glare wasn't nearly as bad compared to the Frostbite Engine.

Currently playing and possibly half-way through Syndicate (2011) and also Magicka, which is strangely cathartic when you mash the fire and lightning elements to cook goblins alive.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I spent most of my gaming time the last couple of months playing Mass Effect III Multiplayer, but I did manage to play a few of my other games. Most of which were complete dreck.

BEATEN: Cogs. I actually crossed this off in January, but I never posted about it in this thread. I don't know if I'm just not cut out for puzzle games, but I eventually rage-uninstalled this. I marked it as Beaten because gently caress this game, I'm never touching it again.

BEATEN: Commander Conquest of the Americas. I really wanted to like this game, because it has the same setting as the 1994 version of Sid Meier's Colonization. What I got was a game with boring and shallow mechanics, and it goes out of its way to hide critical information from the player. I wasted my money on this one.

BEATEN: Crusaders Thy Kingdom Come. This game was actually loads of fun. Until the last mission, where the difficulty just spikes through the ceiling. In every mission before this, you can crush the enemy with almost zero losses if you're skilled enough. Not the last mission; to even have a chance of victory you have to sacrifice a minimum 3/4ths of the army you've been carefully expanding and upgrading from the word go.

BEATEN: Legio. A computerized board game. It might potentially be fun if you've got another person to play with, but the AI is just brain-dead. I didn't enjoy this much.

BEATEN: Majesty II. gently caress this game. No really, gently caress THIS GAME. There's no balance to the difficulty curve, just an endless uphill battle. I eventually started using Cheat Engine to give myself unlimited money, and even then there were several missions that took multiple attempts to finish. Trial-and-Error gameplay in its most irritating and obnoxious form.

BEATEN: And Yet It Moves. When people use the phrase "Generic indie platformer", they're talking about this. It's technically competent and artistically talented, but it's just incredibly boring to play.

BEATEN: Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West. There is something sad about a multiplayer-only shooter that has no playerbase. I played a few rounds, but there's only 10-20 people still playing this, so not much point getting invested.

For now, I'm going to do another playthrough of Dragon Age I, because I never got around to playing the Awakening expansion pack. Once Origins+Awakening+DLC is finished, I'll import my save to Dragon Age II. I want to see if it's really as bad as everyone says it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EightDeer posted:

BEATEN: Cogs. I actually crossed this off in January, but I never posted about it in this thread. I don't know if I'm just not cut out for puzzle games, but I eventually rage-uninstalled this. I marked it as Beaten because gently caress this game, I'm never touching it again.

Cogs is to the 15-puzzle what Everyday Genius is to Sudoku, and it's probably the best 15-puzzle-based game I've ever played.

The problem is that the 15-puzzle is widely and justly reviled as being neither original nor fun. It's better than the Towers of Hanoi, but only because it doesn't require exponential time to solve.

What I'm saying here is that Cogs is a good implementation of a lovely puzzle, and no matter how good the implementation is it can't overcome that inherent shittiness. Not liking Cogs doesn't mean you won't enjoy games built around good puzzles like Everyday Genius or, better yet, SpaceChem.