Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Musicbrainz picard for tagging, album art downloader for.....album art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been googling but I can't find desktop software that duplicates what GoodReader on ipad can do:

I want to specify a crop portion of a pdf to view so I can remove the margins and just have the text (consistent margins here). The problem with zooming in most pdf viewers (foxit, etc) is that when you go the next page it resets back to the top left corner. Any ideas? I know you can crop pdf files but I was hoping for a solution in the reader.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got my copy of Win7 Pro through the student deal that Microsoft ran through Digital River a couple years ago. Because I'm super-smart, I lost the physical disks that I had them send me (I'm sure I have them...buried in the closet somewhere) and deleted the download long ago. I was able to use a key retrieval program to get my registration key, but is there a way to get a copy of Win7 Pro that's both free and legal?

It seems that there ought to be some way or another that I can use my registration key to get access to the software, since I really don't fancy going through a bunch of storage totes for disks that may or may not have been broken in my last move.

My apologies if this has been gone over a million times. It wasn't in the OP, and the thread is huge at this point.

vvv Thanks a million, Toast Museum! That's exactly what I was looking for. vvv

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 10, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Achmed Jones posted:

is there a way to get a copy of Win7 Pro that's both free and legal?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Can anyone tell me why the gently caress Windows 7 has decided to pull this poo poo on me with the bright green title text?

I've checked into every setting I can think of, and nowhere do I have it set to bright fuckin' green. The only notable thing to happen lately is VLC crashing a few times, but I've restarted three times since then, same thing.

EDIT: Switching to new nVidia drivers fixed the green text, but now all my window borders are red when I have them set to greyish/black :psyduck:

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 11, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Can anyone tell me why the gently caress Windows 7 has decided to pull this poo poo on me with the bright green title text?

I've checked into every setting I can think of, and nowhere do I have it set to bright fuckin' green. The only notable thing to happen lately is VLC crashing a few times, but I've restarted three times since then, same thing.

EDIT: Switching to new nVidia drivers fixed the green text, but now all my window borders are red when I have them set to greyish/black :psyduck:

Try wiping out your nVidia drivers and removing the card via Device Manager. Rebooting will allow everything to come up fresh and pull the latest WHQL drivers.

If you're still having the issue after that, you might have a dying vid card.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AlexDeGruven posted:

Try wiping out your nVidia drivers and removing the card via Device Manager. Rebooting will allow everything to come up fresh and pull the latest WHQL drivers.

If you're still having the issue after that, you might have a dying vid card.

Yeah, before I read this I tried doing a clean install of the drivers and that fixed it. Thanks though!

It's still the goddamnedest thing though...my taskbar and aero window borders had a strong reddish tint (ie, picking blue as the taskbar color turned it purple) but everything inside those windows was perfectly normal and looked as it should.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I need a real quick and dirty solution: I have a handful of remote hosts that I need to ping every few minutes and fire an email if they do not respond. I of course have googled and downloaded several options but I am not entirely happy with what I have seen so far. Wanted to see if any of you had suggestions based on things you have used. Thanks

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Syano posted:

I need a real quick and dirty solution: I have a handful of remote hosts that I need to ping every few minutes and fire an email if they do not respond. I of course have googled and downloaded several options but I am not entirely happy with what I have seen so far. Wanted to see if any of you had suggestions based on things you have used. Thanks
Countdown to someone saying "That sounds like a job for PowerShell." Well, I'm guessing it is, I don't know much about it.

There's a PowerShell megathread.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Countdown to someone saying "That sounds like a job for PowerShell." Well, I'm guessing it is, I don't know much about it.

There's a PowerShell megathread.

Definitely a powershell job.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Syano posted:

This sounds like exactly what Nagios is made for. Far from quick, but still plenty dirty.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Syano posted:

http://www.paessler.com/prtg

PRTG could be worth a shot, my boss uses it for monitoring and it seems pretty reliable. There's a freeware version that lets you use 10 sensors for free as well.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
If I regularly want to push the contents of one folder on one server, to a folder on another server on a different network, and these are both windows machines, what's my best option?

Security is important, because this stuff will be going across the internet, and I'd prefer something that did a delta, though I guess just 'changed files' will be good enough.

Most of the guides and apps I'm finding are for servers on the same network, which don't care about security, and all the guides I see about rsync are about a windows>unix transfer which is not what I'm doing. Also "First install cygwin" makes me want to cry.

I don't mind paying for an app if it saves me a lot of time in set up. This also needs to be runnable as a scheduled task.

If it helps, this is a one way push.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

NZAmoeba posted:

If I regularly want to push the contents of one folder on one server, to a folder on another server on a different network, and these are both windows machines, what's my best option?

Security is important, because this stuff will be going across the internet, and I'd prefer something that did a delta, though I guess just 'changed files' will be good enough.

Most of the guides and apps I'm finding are for servers on the same network, which don't care about security, and all the guides I see about rsync are about a windows>unix transfer which is not what I'm doing. Also "First install cygwin" makes me want to cry.

I don't mind paying for an app if it saves me a lot of time in set up. This also needs to be runnable as a scheduled task.

If it helps, this is a one way push.

Or heck if someone can actually find a good, detailed windows > windows rsync guide I'll be happy.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

NZAmoeba posted:

Define "different network."

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

stubblyhead posted:

Define "different network."

Two different domains, in two different geographical locations, hosted by the same hosting provider.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am really not sure what thread this should be in but I am having issues with VLC and dynamic range compression. I am noticing this with DVDs I own, DVDs I've riped, pretty much any movie file. I want to watch Mission Impossible, but the background sounds loud enough to wake the dead but I can not hear the voices over the sound of my CPU fan (92mm screamer - I am going to deal with it later today). So movies like to turn the volume way down during voice sequences, and way up during explosions so your neighbors get pissed off, and it is just plain retarded that they are taking it to this extreme.

Google said "tools -> options (show all) -> audio -> filters -> dynamic range compression checkbox" and I followed google's advice, and it did not change anything. I am pretty sure this is because the audio on my file is MP3.

My sound card is onboard Realtek ALC888 HD Audio, I installed a driver from Realtek and went into the HD audio manager to set "normalize volume" and that didn't seem to make any difference either, I so I removed the Realtek driver. The windows driver seemed to be doing equaly good/bad and cuts down on one tray icon. Also, I am not sure if I like the idea of setting dynamic range compression in the driver, I don't want to force this for everything, only movies.

Do I need to find either find a magical setting in VLC (2.0.1) that will make the dynamic range compression work, or should I switch to a different media player?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'd like to ask quickly if there is any sort of really good, very easy-to-use mod/patch/frontend/whatever for DosBox that makes it more friendly, so to speak. DosBox is an amazing tool that has allowed me to enjoy a lot of software that never would have been accessible otherwise, but I find it awkward to use. Since it's been in existence for some years and been through so many refinements, is there anything out there that gives it a quick and friendly GUI or something of that nature?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like to ask quickly if there is any sort of really good, very easy-to-use mod/patch/frontend/whatever for DosBox that makes it more friendly, so to speak. DosBox is an amazing tool that has allowed me to enjoy a lot of software that never would have been accessible otherwise, but I find it awkward to use. Since it's been in existence for some years and been through so many refinements, is there anything out there that gives it a quick and friendly GUI or something of that nature?
A two second google for "DosBox GUI" brings me DosBox' own download page, which lists a number of frontends.

Or is it something else you're talking about?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am really not sure what thread this should be in but I am having issues with VLC and dynamic range compression. I am noticing this with DVDs I own, DVDs I've riped, pretty much any movie file. I want to watch Mission Impossible, but the background sounds loud enough to wake the dead but I can not hear the voices over the sound of my CPU fan (92mm screamer - I am going to deal with it later today). So movies like to turn the volume way down during voice sequences, and way up during explosions so your neighbors get pissed off, and it is just plain retarded that they are taking it to this extreme.

Google said "tools -> options (show all) -> audio -> filters -> dynamic range compression checkbox" and I followed google's advice, and it did not change anything. I am pretty sure this is because the audio on my file is MP3.

My sound card is onboard Realtek ALC888 HD Audio, I installed a driver from Realtek and went into the HD audio manager to set "normalize volume" and that didn't seem to make any difference either, I so I removed the Realtek driver. The windows driver seemed to be doing equaly good/bad and cuts down on one tray icon. Also, I am not sure if I like the idea of setting dynamic range compression in the driver, I don't want to force this for everything, only movies.

Do I need to find either find a magical setting in VLC (2.0.1) that will make the dynamic range compression work, or should I switch to a different media player?

How many speakers do you have? If you don't have a centre speaker and didn't downmix to stereo, that could be the problem, since most dialogue is routed through the centre speaker.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

NZAmoeba posted:

Two different domains, in two different geographical locations, hosted by the same hosting provider.

Any chance you can connect the two via vpn or something similar? If you can get the remote side accessible via UNC then robocopy should be able to do this. It can do mirroring, and will only copy stuff that has changed. Shouldn't be any problem with running that via scheduled tasks either.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking for a program that will change my wallpaper to something new when I boot up, any idea?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

stubblyhead posted:

Any chance you can connect the two via vpn or something similar? If you can get the remote side accessible via UNC then robocopy should be able to do this. It can do mirroring, and will only copy stuff that has changed. Shouldn't be any problem with running that via scheduled tasks either.

Maybe? But getting it set up might be a huge pain. That's why I was wondering if there isn't an app available somewhere that will do this.

I didn't think it would be that uncommon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Colonel Sanders posted:

If you click Tools > Effects and Filters and go to the audio tab there's a compressor in there. Hope you know how to use one!

(Threshold sets the volume where the compression kicks in, Ratio is how much compression to apply, Knee graduates the threshold (so smaller volume jumps generate less compression) and Makeup Gain lets you raise the overall volume since you've just squashed the louder stuff. Attack and release are how quickly it responds to the sound level jumping above and dropping below the threshold, a fast attack might clip the sharp sounds in speech and make it harder to hear what people are saying, but too slow and some BOOOOOMs might slip through. A fast release might give a pumping sound as compression constantly turns on and off, too slow and it won't react quickly enough to volume drops. RMS/Peak is just how it measures the sound level. Enjoy!)

e: in case that's overwhelming and you want some easy functional settings, just set your ratio to full, no knee (or default), lower the threshold to wherever you get a good balance between audible quiet stuff and tamed loud stuff and keep the attack and release low. Up the gain if you need a little more overall output

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 13, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a Mac and wanted to pic up Windows for gaming but it is wayyyy more expensive than I thought. What is the cheapest way I can get a copy of Windows? I have heard you can get some OEM kit version for around $100 (is there a difference between this version and others?). Finding it cheaper than that would be sweet though. Any suggestions? I am a student if that helps.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

NESguerilla posted:

I have a Mac and wanted to pic up Windows for gaming but it is wayyyy more expensive than I thought. What is the cheapest way I can get a copy of Windows? I have heard you can get some OEM kit version for around $100 (is there a difference between this version and others?). Finding it cheaper than that would be sweet though. Any suggestions? I am a student if that helps.

http://www.ultimatesteal.com

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
It needs to be said that, despite what you might hear, it is possible to do a clean install of Windows 7 with the Upgrade media - here're some directions I wrote up describing how to do so.

VVVVVV Beat you to it :hfive:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is the only student discounted Windows I saw. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200/flyout.true I can't use this if I don't have Windows though right? It's just an upgrade for people already running an older version?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Use the Pro ISO from here and you can avoid registry fuckery, not that it's terribly complicated anyway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Toast Museum posted:

Use the Pro ISO from here and you can avoid registry fuckery, not that it's terribly complicated anyway.

I don't think that will work any better. The problem is with the key, not the media.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think that will work any better. The problem is with the key, not the media.

Nah, it's all about the installer. The steps in Karthe's link are not necessary with non-upgrade install media.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

bowmore posted:

Looking for a program that will change my wallpaper to something new when I boot up, any idea?

http://johnsadventures.com/software/backgroundswitcher/ is what I use. It's pretty good.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask - the clock on my work laptop (HP ProBook 4530s, Win7 x64) is always 3-4 minutes ahead of the actual time. I changed the time in the bios (the HP-native bios) and it just automatically reverts back to the wrong time. What am I missing here? Is there a lower level bios that I can get into?

Google hasn't been much help, but I may just be using the wrong search terms.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

speedtek posted:

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask - the clock on my work laptop (HP ProBook 4530s, Win7 x64) is always 3-4 minutes ahead of the actual time. I changed the time in the bios (the HP-native bios) and it just automatically reverts back to the wrong time. What am I missing here? Is there a lower level bios that I can get into?

Google hasn't been much help, but I may just be using the wrong search terms.

Are you sure it's not resetting itself to internet time servers and your other clock(s) are just slow?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

m2pt5 posted:

Are you sure it's not resetting itself to internet time servers and your other clock(s) are just slow?

Is the work laptop part of a domain, getting time settings from a domain controller that is itself off by 3-4 minutes and not set to get updates from a good clock?

Or a Netware 4 server that is 10 minutes ahead like I have :v:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've just had a flicker of nostalgia for the bad old days - is there still anyone out there using a shell replacement (e.g. litestep, ge0shell) with windows 7? What are you using? Will any of this work of windows 8?

HKBGUTT
May 7, 2009

Is it possible to use a Windows 7 OEM-key from a laptop and install using a Windows 7 retail cd and sucessfully activate Windows? I remember this beeing problematic with Windows XP.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

HKBGUTT posted:

Is it possible to use a Windows 7 OEM-key from a laptop and install using a Windows 7 retail cd and sucessfully activate Windows? I remember this beeing problematic with Windows XP.

I've done it twice in the past week alone, one with an OEM Windows 7 key and the other with a Windows Vista OEM key, using the respective retail media. They really made this part of things way less a pain in the rear end, thankfully.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

thebigcow posted:

Is the work laptop part of a domain, getting time settings from a domain controller that is itself off by 3-4 minutes and not set to get updates from a good clock?

Or a Netware 4 server that is 10 minutes ahead like I have :v:

It is part of a domain, so the DC is probably just fast. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is kind of a silly question, is there a way to force a file to open maximized? know applications have an option in their Properties menu to launch maximized, but individual files seem not to.

There's a help file I reference frequently and it just opens up in the middle of both monitors all the time. Wish it would just loving remember where/how I close it.