Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Go figure, Amazon.jp won't ship Meikyuu Kingdom to the US.

\/\/\/ Yeah, I have a cart full of stuff that I was just going to ship via Amazon. Guess I'll skip Meikyuu because I don't feel like spending 6000¥ and still waiting 3+ weeks for one book when I could have everything else by the end of the week and spend the same amount. I've used Tenso in the past to get some J-League stuff shipped, and it was pretty painless but it did take a while. I'll probably end up trying to see if the local store can special order it.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Yep, which is why I picked up copies for myself and Mikan when I was there last month.

You'll have to make use of a proxy service such as From Japan or Tenso. Disclaimer: I haven't actually used these services, just had them in my bookmarks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DiamondSutra posted:

Indeed ti was! A large part of that might be because of all the Japanese buy in: All the core books and supplements were rewritten and published with Japanese form-factors and art for release in Japan.

Are you in Japan perhaps near Tokyo? If so, check out Cafe Daydream in Kanda: They have a library of games, including most of the Japanese TORG books.

Interesting note: The core staff of FEAR, "Suzufuki Tarot" (Nakajima) and Inoue Junichi were writers for TORG when it came out. It was their break with TORG that led them to bigger and better things.

I didn't know any of this. It's just an observation that I've seen over the years, especially with guys like Thermalhead, the guy who published the Code Geass Britannia dojin-splatbook. I never knew the reason why TORG had such a longevity over there. I think Thermalhead was running his TORG-only conventions until about 2010 and they seemed to get around a hundred people or so, which is amazing for such a dead property.

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008

Cheap Trick posted:

Yep, which is why I picked up copies for myself and Mikan when I was there last month.

You'll have to make use of a proxy service such as From Japan or Tenso. Disclaimer: I haven't actually used these services, just had them in my bookmarks.

Well, I was hoping to hold this in reserve until my copies got here and I could verify that they worked, but I found the Kingdom/Labyrinth books on yesasia with free international shipping.
(I'll update this with reports once {if} it actually gets here.)

Links:
Kingdom book (Player's guide): ($29.49, free shipping internationally)
http://www.yesasia.com/us/meikiyuu-kingudamu-meikiyuu-butsuku-shinikaru-potsupu-danjiyon-shiata/1021658817-0-0-0-en/info.html
Dungeon book (GM's Guide): ($29.49, free shipping internationally)
http://www.yesasia.com/us/meikiyuu-kingudamu-shin-oukoku-butsuku/1023556718-0-0-0-en/info.html

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DiamondSutra posted:

I stumbled across one of the most prized games in my collection: It's called "Me to Me ga Attara SAN Chekku!" or "When their eyes meet, roll a SAN check!" Basically it's a comedy romance RPG that uses motherfucking CALL OF CTHULHU as its rules engine, and yes including the SAN chart as-is, untouched. I bought it from him back in the day, and years later ran into him again online right as he was releasing Flowers!

OK, I want details on this game!
I have a feeling it is about the madness of love and such. :allears:

How does it use CoC rules for romance?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

InfiniteJesters posted:

Ooh, ooh, I've been waiting to post this! (Please forgive the 1d4chan link.)

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Touhou_Danmaku_Yuugi_Flowers_RPG

It's based off of the Touhou shmups that're so popular over there. Wholly inoffensive game but either the translation or the game itself was not designed clearly because it's hard to tell what the dealie is here.

That and the maths/mechanics for the game are terrible.

Hell, even the fluff isn't that great in this case. The shmup games have a pretty large amount of lore (backed up by fanbooks made by the one-man studio behind the games) and Yuugi Flowers' sole concession to this is a lackluster map in the back.

Given how absurdly popular the Touhou games are in Japan you'd expect this thing to have more effort behind it.

Oh hey, I did the typesetting for the pdf of this book! It was... so depressing to discover that the rules were complete poo poo. The math doesn't add up, the skills don't really help with much and some are obviously leagues better than others, and combat is nonsense. That said, the art is gorgeous, and I recommend looking at it for that much, at least. Being a Voile translation, the thing is free.

I've tried a couple times to make better Touhou RPGs but haven't made anything good/finished enough to post.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Welp, there goes :10bux: x 20. At least I have reading material for the next two years.

Ended up buying:

Shinobigami
Shinobigami Hades Trial

Sword World v2 books 1-3

Double Cross 3rd, books 1, 2, Moonless Night

Arianrhod books 1-2

I'm now broke.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

shoplifter posted:

Welp, there goes :10bux: x 20. At least I have reading material for the next two years.
Ended up buying:
Shinobigami
Shinobigami Hades Trial
Sword World v2 books 1-3
Double Cross 3rd, books 1, 2, Moonless Night
Arianrhod books 1-2
I'm now broke.

Good picks. And yeah, welcome to my world. When I leave Yellow Submarine or Role and Roll station after not being in Japan 1-2 years, the cashiers give me the lowest bows I receive Anywhere, Ever. I blow the gunsmoke off my credit card before returning it to my wallet. :-)

Pharohman777 posted:

OK, I want details on this game!
I have a feeling it is about the madness of love and such. :allears:

How does it use CoC rules for romance?

It's pretty simple: The skills have been changed to an everyday/school life set, and that element actually uses a 1d20 instead of 1d100 (the skills are shorter in scale, ranging from 1-19).

And when you roleplay your hand touching His; or your rival pushing you into a puddle right as He walks by, you roll for SAN loss.

Pretty simple!

-Andy

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Oh hey, I did the typesetting for the pdf of this book! It was... so depressing to discover that the rules were complete poo poo. The math doesn't add up, the skills don't really help with much and some are obviously leagues better than others, and combat is nonsense. That said, the art is gorgeous, and I recommend looking at it for that much, at least. Being a Voile translation, the thing is free.

I've tried a couple times to make better Touhou RPGs but haven't made anything good/finished enough to post.

Obviously there is a curse involving Toehoes and maths. :v: This plus Bahamut's woes means it is so.

And yus, the art is amazing. And the idea of battles being set on a grid like Battleship was innovative, at least, even if the execution was poor.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Which is the RPG someone mentioned in FATAL and Friends ages ago that has cyborg motorcycle knights and its set in some insane-o version of Britain with King Arthur myths an junk?

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I still really want to hear about Giant Allege. I like to think that the legal profession can only be enhanced in dignity and stature by giant robot battles.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Which is the RPG someone mentioned in FATAL and Friends ages ago that has cyborg motorcycle knights and its set in some insane-o version of Britain with King Arthur myths an junk?

I've never heard of a game like this. Do you have a link to this post?

There's a fairly awesome game called Alshard which has motorcycle-riding knights. They're called Panzerritter, but the world setting is all a Final Fantasy take on Norse mythos, not Arthurian.

...maybe it's Shin-en? I remember seeing some picture from that game that looked like a motorcycle-knight of sorts, but that was long ago. It was a remarkable game back in its time (mid-90s).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't have a link, I saw it ages ago and it's just lodged in my brain. I could be mixing 2 things up, cause Final Fantasy Norse MotoKnights certainly rings a bell. Thanks anyway.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Mad Fnorder posted:

I still really want to hear about Giant Allege. I like to think that the legal profession can only be enhanced in dignity and stature by giant robot battles.
It's on my reading list, so I'll be posting about it at some point. If it seems worthwhile I'll be seeing about licensing it too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You're thinking of Alshard, and I think I mentioned it, but it's not King Arthur myths, it just has the flying airbase Avalon.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, I've been looking it up and that seems to be the one. I'd really love to give some of these games a try, lots of interesting stuff. Just need to, you know, learn Japanese.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Mad Fnorder posted:

Not a game, but if you can track down the American made Atomic King Daidogan, give it a shot. It's a comic by Nathan Maurer, of Buttlord GT fame, about a city where all business contracts take the form of supa robo fights.

Edit: Had the guy's name wrong.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 14, 2012

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Mad Fnorder posted:

Ewen and/or Andy will probably get through it long before I will, but if I can slog through a bit I'll post my thoughts.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
So if I wanted to get Arianrhod from Amazon Japan, which books do I need to be 'complete'? Since shipping is horrid, I only want to buy once.

Going from the Products page, I assume I just need
アリアンロッドRPG 2E ルールブック(1)
アリアンロッドRPG 2E ルールブック(2)

Correct?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Yep, that's all you need unless you want some setting books or the "senior" rules. That said, you're getting raped on shipping, ou may as well buy a few more books as the shipping should onl go up by 300¥ per additional book you add.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah, I've been looking it up and that seems to be the one. I'd really love to give some of these games a try, lots of interesting stuff. Just need to, you know, learn Japanese.

Meh, just knock it out in a weekend. It's only a language, right? :-)

Re Giant Allege: IIRC, I flipped through it at Role and Roll station, but it didn't really grab my interest. For some reason, very few mecha games do (save for the US-made "Mecha" game ( http://www.rpgnow.com/product/82258/Mecha-RPG )). Just a thing with me. I'm far more into games where the mecha is a means to kick down doors and have emo bullshit drama in my RPGs; I only like picking apart and putting together mecha stats and weapons if I'm doing it on a war mat.

Jadarx: You really only "need" the first rulebook to play. But yeah, the second one adds more options. Plus, what Shoplifter said. Throw in Endbreakers for 500 more yen at the very least: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A8%E...39651702&sr=8-1

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of sad to just find this thread now, two months after walking right past Yellow Submarine without much more than a second glance. It's just as well, I wouldn't be able to read anything I could have bought there anyway.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

shoplifter posted:

Yep, that's all you need unless you want some setting books or the "senior" rules. That said, you're getting raped on shipping, ou may as well buy a few more books as the shipping should onl go up by 300¥ per additional book you add.

What do the senior rules add? Just more of the stuff I'd get in the core books or completely new stuff?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

jadarx posted:

What do the senior rules add? Just more of the stuff I'd get in the core books or completely new stuff?

Google translated, since I'm lazy:

quote:

Product Description
Senior rule book appeared in the "Arianroddo RPG 2E" as early as. Senior class has been added, expanding the width of the growth! Square is also introduced rules combat, tactical combat more became possible! Adventure will be hot this further in a book!
Content ("BOOK" from the database)
This document is a senior rule book dealing with the additional rules and data of "Arianroddo RPG 2E" primarily. I listed are character-level data that corresponds to 10 to 20 levels - class, skills, items, enemy, such as trap it. Also posted additional rules and guidance. Would help the game play more enjoyable.

So looks like some tactical grid map based combat rules, level 10-20 rules, plus expansions of classes, skills, monsters, etc. It's roughly 3000¥, so it's up to you if it's worth it. I buy tons of games that I never end up playing, but for a game that I have to do this much work to even consider playing, I'd rather have a couple more different games.

There are 'senior' rulebooks for quite a few games out there.

\/\/\/ totally fair, and accurate. I had considered using that term as well, and it really just makes sense given the subject matter.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 14, 2012

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I would translate "joukyuu" more like "Advanced" in this case. F.E.A.R. has gotten into the habit of having the base rulebook for a game be a cheap little paperback that costs 700 yen or so, and then adding an Advanced Rulebook as a full-sized book for around 3000 yen.

I got a copy of the Arianrhod 1st Edition Advanced Rulebook because I was especially interested in the game, but it's mostly a collection of more new crunchy bits, sort of a PHB2 (but with some GM stuff). Lots of really cool stuff if you want to play the game, but for 3000 yen you can get more interesting TRPG books as reading material.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That makes me wonder, does the cult of "readability" have a lot of sway in JTRPGs? Is it more important to have clarity of rules and presentation or having a truly epic toilet read when it comes to rulebooks over there?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desty posted:

That makes me wonder, does the cult of "readability" have a lot of sway in JTRPGs? Is it more important to have clarity of rules and presentation or having a truly epic toilet read when it comes to rulebooks over there?
I don't have enough firsthand experience with the scene there to really say for sure. On the one hand they have whole books and series of books of just replays for people to read, but on the other hand I feel like the rulebooks do focus more on teaching you the game (to the point where they talk about stuff about the basics of getting people together and printing character sheets and such that Western rulebooks never bother to mention) and giving material relevant to play, rather than just being stuff to read. For example I'm currently reading the setting chapter of Arianrhod, and it focuses a lot on stuff that's relevant to adventurers, rather than Forgotten Realms style random setting cruft.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
What's the art like in the Arianrhod books, quantity-wise? One of the nice things about Meikyu is even though I can't read it very well, there's plenty of art to help convey what's going on. I was a little disappointed with Sword World since it's so text heavy.

And since Andy recommended Endbreakers, what's that about?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

jadarx posted:

What's the art like in the Arianrhod books, quantity-wise? One of the nice things about Meikyu is even though I can't read it very well, there's plenty of art to help convey what's going on. I was a little disappointed with Sword World since it's so text heavy.
Pretty much any RPG that comes in the little paperback (bunko) format will be very sparse on artwork. Part of why I haven't been posting up much in the way of pictures with my Arianrhod overview is that it basically has a portrait for each of the pre-made character archetypes, a pic of each monster, and that's about it. Not much more than Sword World. These days FEAR's large-format books tend to have a decent amount of art, but nowhere near as much as Adventure Planning Service's games like Meikyuu Kingdom and Satasupe.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Hoooly poo poo. My books are out for delivery already. :psyduck:

jadarx
May 25, 2012

shoplifter posted:

Hoooly poo poo. My books are out for delivery already. :psyduck:

Yeah, everything I've ever ordered from Amazon Japan since they bumped up their shipping costs to insane got stateside extremely fast.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Bitchtits McGee posted:

I keep meaning to proof this further, but drat it, it's just not likely to happen, so here it is: the first play log of our Meikyuu Kingdom test group, covering the initial kingdom generation. Also, I should perhaps warn you that the players are all veterans from my Maid RPG IRC channel, so expect that. Also also, if it seems like jumping in the middle, that's because this is the first time in a while they've all played together, so there was a whole ton of chattering beforehand that it was easier to just chop off completely.

To be continued... (actually, it's been continued, what I mean is I'll post it some other time because this is freaking long enough).

God I am looking forward to the second part of this so much.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In my experiences (and since I work for a photo gifts company right now that has to do international shipments with UPS on rare occasions), anything that has a pretty exorbitant shipping cost is typically because it has to be declared at customs and isn't going to be shipped on a boat or something silly. They have some serious courier services going on for that kind of stuff, and as a result, they have a very quick turnaround time.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

aldantefax posted:

In my experiences (and since I work for a photo gifts company right now that has to do international shipments with UPS on rare occasions), anything that has a pretty exorbitant shipping cost is typically because it has to be declared at customs and isn't going to be shipped on a boat or something silly.

Well, that's the thing: Amazon used to allow normal air mail and surface mail, years ago. I guess they were getting dinged with lost, untrackable shipments or something because about 4-5 years ago they went EMS (express mail) only:

Which means, yeah, things like "I order something on Saturday and it arrives on Tuesday" (!)

jadarx posted:

And since Andy recommended Endbreakers, what's that about?

It's a 500 yen ($6) RPG that's extremely stupid-simple to run and play. There's only a handful of rules, and those are combat based. It's got the feel (rulewise) of a classic console "four member party doing attacks and magic and stuff" RPG. No rules for pacing, no rules for social dueling, just extremely--EXTREMELY--simple combat and tons and tons of evocative art.

Here's the character sheet for the game:
http://t-walker.jp/eb/html/world/i_world/sheet1.pdf

jadarx
May 25, 2012

DiamondSutra posted:

Well, that's the thing: Amazon used to allow normal air mail and surface mail, years ago. I guess they were getting dinged with lost, untrackable shipments or something because about 4-5 years ago they went EMS (express mail) only:

The second time I ordered from Amazon Japan I received my books in just the shrink-wrapped part of the package. The box itself arrived separately.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Can anyone speak on Nechronica? It seems really interesting from what little I've read on it, but I'm still not entirely sure what the deal is. Supplemental question: is there any plan on translating it?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sad Mammal posted:

Can anyone speak on Nechronica? It seems really interesting from what little I've read on it, but I'm still not entirely sure what the deal is. Supplemental question: is there any plan on translating it?

I'd suggest reading Ewen's translation of the replay if you haven't already. It gives a pretty good overview of how the system works.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Is it just me or is that file completely bl-

DiamondSutra posted:

extremely--EXTREMELY--simple
Ohhh :rolleyes:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Sad Mammal posted:

What Potsticker said. As for translating it, there's more interest in an English version than I expected, but it's still a game a lot of people will find skeevy, plus there's no shortage of other interesting TRPGs to translate. So my answer to that would be, _maybe_ some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, I think going back to page 2 or 3 whenever it was posted and reading the reactions of people here might be a bit enlightening, too. In fact, I'm just going to quote what I said on the system itself:

Potsticker posted:

The system as described sounds pretty boring, though. Every roll is a d10 and you want to hit a 6 or better across the board? That's almost like just flipping a coin each time. (I do understand the granularity is necessary for things like figuring out which portion of an enemy's body you hit) However, the parts system and finding out entrails are being removed or your legs and such sound like a pretty cool mechanic. For undying cyborg fighting machines who go mad unless they chat with one another anyway.

In other news, I just ordered some more stuff from Amazon :retrogames: Including the Eternal Empire supplement, a couple of replay books, and the Arianrhod 2E rulebook. I walked through Sword World rules with some friends trying to get them interested in giving it a try, but it's rough because I'm the only one that can read the rulebook (and not that well) we ended up just starting a 4th Edition D&D game instead. I'm hoping that reading the replays will give me a better grasp on the game. At the very least, it should be good practice.

• Locked thread