Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just to touch on the point of resale value for apple products, my 2009 Macbook Pro 13" that I paid $1000 for after a discount sold (with no effort at all, sold it in 12 hours) for $700 in 2011.

Reselling Apple products is cake and their value retention is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Just to touch on the point of resale value for apple products, my 2009 Macbook Pro 13" that I paid $1000 for after a discount sold (with no effort at all, sold it in 12 hours) for $700 in 2011.

You found a sucker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I thought about selling my Air but thanks to Apple lowering the price of the new one, and prices at the refurb store...ugh

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Wonder how much I can get for my late 2008 MBP 2.4 C2D with 8 Gb of ram. Quite a few dents is the only issue...

Will probably put it in eBay e - brand new battery but the fans arent great. Running lion.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

You found a sucker.

at the time I think the average value for it online was around $600-ish so it wasn't too bad.

Dude really wanted a macbook, what can I say!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm selling my 2011 MBP to my friend, it's a 2.2GHz I7 early 2011 model with 16gb ram, 1GB radeon 6950, high res matte display, expired apple care and a 128GB SSD. I'm selling it to him for $1300.

Am I underpricing that too much? I pretty much thought "Don't really care, just want to cover the cost of my new MBA"

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Digital_Jesus posted:

Truth. I sold my imac from last year on craigslist for more than the cost of the exact same model @ the refurb store 2 months. Thanks for helping pay for my retina pro!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flyboi posted:

I'm selling my 2011 MBP to my friend, it's a 2.2GHz I7 early 2011 model with 16gb ram, 1GB radeon 6950, high res matte display, expired apple care and a 128GB SSD. I'm selling it to him for $1300.

Am I underpricing that too much? I pretty much thought "Don't really care, just want to cover the cost of my new MBA"

Try using http://www.mac2sell.net/ to see what the average going price should be.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

flyboi posted:

Expired AppleCare on a 2011?

It's entertaining how much they are like cars now. "Oh, I've got a 2010 15" MBP with the LT trim, only 50k miles!" I get too attached to my computers though, so I never really sell them. Just pass them along to parents/family/etc.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

Expired AppleCare on a 2011?

It's entertaining how much they are like cars now. "Oh, I've got a 2010 15" MBP with the LT trim, only 50k miles!" I get too attached to my computers though, so I never really sell them. Just pass them along to parents/family/etc.

Part of me wants to give it to my partner, he has a POS Sony with a broken keyboard but I'm certain he'd hate a mac as he's very afraid of change. I never did the extension so it expired in February.

Mac2sell is retarded, because it says my laptop is worth $2500 when a new one is like $2000 if that in the refurb store.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

flyboi posted:

Part of me wants to give it to my partner, he has a POS Sony with a broken keyboard but I'm certain he'd hate a mac as he's very afraid of change. I never did the extension so it expired in February.

Mac2sell is retarded, because it says my laptop is worth $2500 when a new one is like $2000 if that in the refurb store.

Gazelle.com (pretty reliable) says right around $1000 for your machine and thats not including the 16GB of ram over 8, so I'd say at $1300 you're making out pretty decent. Take it and get a free air!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Digital_Jesus posted:

Gazelle.com (pretty reliable) says right around $1000 for your machine and thats not including the 16GB of ram over 8, so I'd say at $1300 you're making out pretty decent. Take it and get a free air!

Sweet and I've posted this one about 800 times but I bought this bag today and I'm just in love with it.

http://www.ernestalexander.com/shop/messenger-bags/hudson-wax-messenger?product=14

Emailed them and they gave me a 25% off coupon so :toot:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Bob Morales posted:

I thought about selling my Air but thanks to Apple lowering the price of the new one, and prices at the refurb store...ugh

Best Buy hosed me by dropping the price of the 11in 4GB model way down to 1099. So much for resale now... I want a 13in model again pretty bad but I don't know if I want to eat a ~400 dollar loss. Maybe I can find a cheap sandy bridge 13. 8gb ram was a tempting offer though and I'd probably keep the thing for a few years due to that...

gently caress me I didn't even look at that pic but 929 now for the last gen 13. God drat Apple.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MeruFM posted:

Apple is a new world to me, how often are refreshes and how much do they improve every time? Will definitely wait at least a couple months for possible issues to come out.
Around six months on the shorter end (which is how there's "early/late year" models)...then there's years between updates on the longer end in rare cases (Mac mini a few years back, Mac Pro now). Part of it depends on Intel's chip updates, the other is just Apple's whims and timing. They're usually just internal spec updates, while every once in a while you get an external redesign. Like the unibody has been around since 2008, then tweaked for integrated battery a bit later, and now complete redesign a little under four years later.

carry on then posted:

Looks like it's Late 2008 aluminum or newer for MacBooks: http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/
Basically killing off the older Intel GMA graphics.

flyboi posted:

Simple rule I use for ballparking a price is to just undercut the refurb store by a bit. Looks like the local people on Craigslist think the same at least, 2011 MBPs with SSD are all priced around $1800 here.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Astro7x posted:

Try using http://www.mac2sell.net/ to see what the average going price should be.

Mac2sell can be hit or miss though. I just bought a used mac from a goon for less than that mac2sell lists, and then when I listed my 08 macbook for the mac2sell price it sold in less than 15 minutes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Macs take a huge hit in the 12-24 month range, but I've found that they almost never bottom out. I sold my 2005 Powerbook G4 ($2,000 new maybe?) for $400 last year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Macs take a huge hit in the 12-24 month range, but I've found that they almost never bottom out. I sold my 2005 Powerbook G4 ($2,000 new maybe?) for $400 last year.

White Macbooks are barely worth $300-350 these days, and as they are dropped from OS support that's going to go down even more.

JZA-Jenius
Apr 25, 2007
Drops Megaton Bombs More Faster Than You Blink
Is it safe to assume that I should avoid the non-Apple macbook chargers? The amazon reviews don't paint too pretty of a picture.

I have an old black MacBook with a broken screen that I want to leave hooked up to my TV, but the original charger has been chewed apart by my girlfriend's cat. I don't really want to pay full-price for a charger that will just be sitting by my TV, but I will if that's the only/best option.

JZA-Jenius fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 15, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JZA-Jenius posted:

Is it safe to assume that I should avoid the non-Apple macbook chargers? The amazon reviews don't paint too pretty of a picture.

I have an old black MacBook with a broken screen that I want to leave hooked up to my TV, but the original charger has been chewed apart by my girlfriend's cat. I don't really want to pay full-price for a charger that will just be sitting by my TV, but I will if that's the only/best option.

Yeah, you'll save yourself trouble in the long-run by just getting an official charger.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's a used but bonafide Apple adapter for a MacBook for $35..

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MC461LLAU/

Sold by an old, well-established Mac-centric company.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Best places to sell a MBP in the UK?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

a bad poster yall posted:

Best places to sell a MBP in the UK?

SA-MART? Thats where all us US goons do it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
So those of you who have played with the retina MBP already: how smooth are the animations (ie to/from fullscreen, expose, etc) and how quickly do apps launch?

So far only one person in this thread has mentioned jerky animations, but the demo MBP at my local store is jerky as gently caress, and even basic apps take three or four bounces to open (even off a hard drive that would be surprising, but off SSD it's unforgivable).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Choadmaster posted:

So those of you who have played with the retina MBP already: how smooth are the animations (ie to/from fullscreen, expose, etc) and how quickly do apps launch?

So far only one person in this thread has mentioned jerky animations, but the demo MBP at my local store is jerky as gently caress, and even basic apps take three or four bounces to open (even off a hard drive that would be surprising, but off SSD it's unforgivable).

Thank you for further vindicating my decision to sit this round out.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I really find it hard to believe its supposed to operate that way, which is why I'm asking for other people's experiences with them. Maybe there's something wrong with the demo unit at my store or something. But I am going to wait and see...

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/apple-to-charge-199-for-battery-replacement-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/

quote:

According to an article in Computerworld, Apple will charge $199 to replace the 95 watt-hour battery in the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, an increase of $70 from the traditional $129 that Apple charges for replacement batteries in the standard MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4

Edit: I can't imagine a good reason for this. Is this simply to squeeze more out of people who are "professional" enough to buy this? Will this happen to the other MacBooks once they receive retina displays?

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 16, 2012

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

What slows it down are the HiDPI scaling modes, especially the 1920x1200 option. Honestly I've been running it at the full 2880x1800 res and everything is super smooth. What sort of applications do you want launched? Launching things like iTunes takes under a second, iChat, for whatever reason, takes 2 bounces, iMovie takes 3-5 seconds depending if its been launched before, etc.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

tuna posted:

Honestly I've been running it at the full 2880x1800 res
I thought this wasn't possible natively...

EDIT: Just saw about SwitchResX.

Are things actually readable? Seems like they didn't include the option for a reason. I know text on my 2560x1440 27" iMac is pretty tiny. I can't imagine native 2880 on a 16" screen.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I imagine he means the standard retina res.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Man, it sure takes longer to do an upgrade install of Lion than a fresh new one.

And if your hard drive isn't in tip top shape, watch the install blow up your drive when it tries to create a recovery partition..

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Are things actually readable?

There are pictures here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387363

Someone is even running it at

3840x2400

tuna posted:

What slows it down are the HiDPI scaling modes, especially the 1920x1200 option.

That certainly appears to be the case. I just checked one out in store and the UI was choppy as hell. Scrolling webpages was abysmal. I would not buy what I saw but if things run smoothly at 2880x1800 I will (the panel itself is sensational).

Why don't they include a 1440x900 non HiDPI mode?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 16, 2012

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That resolution in the pic would kill me eyes after a few minutes, but I'll be damned if it wouldn't be fun to use the OS like that for a bit.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

I imagine he means the standard retina res.

Nope the actual non-scaled version. I'm testing a bunch of (mainly DCC) applications that I don't need to read text in, but rather view graphics in. For that, it's actually really great. Of course this is just testing and benchmarking until ML comes out and of course, applications are updated to work well on this retina display.

KingEup posted:

That certainly appears to be the case. I just checked one out in store and the UI was choppy as hell. Scrolling webpages was abysmal. I would not buy what I saw but if things run smoothly at 2880x1800 I will (the panel itself is sensational).

Honestly the UI and scrolling speeds in HiDPI 1920x1200 are not "abysmal" but they do have some lag. The slowest thing is a slight bit of lag while scrolling in Safari. Switching between spaces etc is milky smooth still. In fact when I benchmark actual application OpenGL performance it is also really close or exactly the same (depending on how the application handles it). It depends on what you need from a machine, I guess?

Obviously Apple's method of supposedly rendering 1920x1200 at 2x the resolution and then scaling it down is inefficient at their intended goal of retina/resolution independence. However I also find that the UI elements at the "native" retina setting to be comically huge and would not like to work like that, ever.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think all of this doubling-then-scaling stuff is a temporary hack (and one that works far better in practice than it has any right to, honestly) until we get true resolution independence some time around when the sun swells up and engulfs the earth.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

tuna posted:

Honestly the UI and scrolling speeds in HiDPI 1920x1200 are not "abysmal" but they do have some lag. The slowest thing is a slight bit of lag while scrolling in Safari. Switching between spaces etc is milky smooth still. In fact when I benchmark actual application OpenGL performance it is also really close or exactly the same (depending on how the application handles it). It depends on what you need from a machine, I guess?

It's kinda funny that 99% of all the stories from people who look at this thing are "I looked at the browser and...". If the browsing experience would be my main benchmark, I'd buy a different computer and save myself a lot of money.

That being said I agree that the browsing is good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

. I know text on my 2560x1440 27" iMac is pretty tiny. I can't imagine native 2880 on a 16" screen.
The 27" has 'big' text just like the 13" and 15" Pros

gamempire
Feb 19, 2012

JZA-Jenius posted:

Stick with the official charger for sure. When it comes to 3rd party chargers (unless its from like Belkin or a another 3rd party reputable brand) and batteries, its really a bad idea. You have no idea of the quality of the materials or if they meet Apple's specifications.

I've seen 3rd party charges overheat and leave scorch marks on furniture, and I've seen them destroy batteries and entire machines. And I've seen 3rd party batteries bulge and break and in one case, explode. Lithium polymer battery fires are not fun, especially when the local Hazmat team shows up.

My advice would be to try to find a used, real Apple charger if you don't want to pay full price for a new one. Or you can always let your girlfriend try and take the old broken one into an Apple store and try and get them to swap it out.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
My new Air has hardlocked 3 times in 3 days while just surfing the web and watching video. My first thought was the RAM is defective, so I'm running memtest on it now. Is there a diagnostic tool for the SSD?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

flavor posted:

It's kinda funny that 99% of all the stories from people who look at this thing are "I looked at the browser and...". If the browsing experience would be my main benchmark, I'd buy a different computer and save myself a lot of money.

That being said I agree that the browsing is good.

There's not a whole lot else you can look at on a display model at the Fruit Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

A friend if mine just happened to get a retina MBP today and reports no slowness or jerky animations at all, even at the intermediate resolutions. Maybe the store demo model I looked at was having issues.