Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Xandu posted:

Really, Anna Kendrick can't find better roles than this and that what to know when you're expecting movie?

Although the guy from Workaholics is awesome.

More than likely, she has a lovely agent. I mean come on, almost a fifth of her movies are Twilight :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
She's totally pointless in Scott Pilgrim.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But shes so pretty. :unsmith: I think I fell for her in 50/50.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

New poster for V/H/S

Sick.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So does the Punisher go after a snuff film ring or something in this movie?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

jisforjosh posted:

More than likely, she has a lovely agent. I mean come on, almost a fifth of her movies are Twilight :smith:
To be fair, the first one came out a year before "Up in the Air", and I'd assume that like most actors in that series, she was contracted to appear in all of them. Plus, she's probably gotten a shitload of money out of it, given how much the budget for those movies inflated over time, plus the residuals these movies will get once they play on TV a billion times.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robert Denby posted:

To be fair, the first one came out a year before "Up in the Air", and I'd assume that like most actors in that series, she was contracted to appear in all of them. Plus, she's probably gotten a shitload of money out of it, given how much the budget for those movies inflated over time, plus the residuals these movies will get once they play on TV a billion times.

As crappy of a story the series is, and how cheesy it is, the producers/studios made bank on the rabid fans from just theater releases.

The series cost 265,000,000 to make, and have made $2.5B that's a really good return on investment regardless if the movies sucked according to most people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I like the concept but, you're right, the 8-bit aspect of it makes the skull look too cartoony.

I loved that poster they had for its festival appearance. Just white poster board with a VHS taped to it and V/H/S sharpied above it.

Didn't AxleBlaze win one of those?

Yes, yes I did :)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fat, black, blonde, dead, tomboy, old and bjork. They're like the seven dwarves of lovely female cliches.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Robert Denby posted:

I think they were filming the second one while they filmed Up in The Air or close enough because I remember George Clooney making fun of her for being in Twilight. I'm pretty sure everyone involved with Twilight knows how terrible they are and just rolls with it. Especially Pattison. And I still have no loving clue how Dakota Fanning ended in them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

axleblaze posted:

That's loving awesome, but I can see why they also changed the poster.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

axleblaze posted:

Did you play the tape?

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I've been looking up Polish movie posters, and I liked this one enough to buy a cheap reprint of it. I like the style and its of my favorite Kurosawa movie, I'd like to frame it at some point...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Someone's gone to the effort of plotting colour trends in movie posters since 1914.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

WebDog posted:

Someone's gone to the effort of plotting colour trends in movie posters since 1914.

It's a shame they didn't make any movies in 1924.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm less interested int he gradual shift from about 80/20 warm/cold to aobut 50/50, and more interested in the weird one-year outliers where suddenly it's a whole different distribution (1919, 1920, 1977, 1980, etc.) Not entirely sure what happened in those - I'm guessing big releases that caused a bunch of copycats?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I'm less interested int he gradual shift from about 80/20 warm/cold to aobut 50/50, and more interested in the weird one-year outliers where suddenly it's a whole different distribution (1919, 1920, 1977, 1980, etc.) Not entirely sure what happened in those - I'm guessing big releases that caused a bunch of copycats?

Well, I can't really tell what happened in 1919-1920 (best-selling film that year was The Miracle Man, but much of it is now lost) but I know that 1977 is when Star Wars was released.

I mean, look how blue this is...

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 16, 2012

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cleretic posted:

Check here.
http://www.vijayp.ca/movies/

Drag the slider along till you reach whatever year and it will spit out on a pie chart what posters were referenced.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Is there any reason as to why green and purple have never been popular colours?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

Non-primary colors as well as being likely associated with illness and poison when used together, I think.

Edit: gently caress if I know. I did a quick internet search and apparently green and purple are natural colors. It may have to do with vibrancy and contrast. Some other stuff I'm reading is that purple and green is a Victorian color combination, used in advertising back then.

Edit 2: Really, for maximum contrast, you want purple and yellow or green and red.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 16, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Purple and green are ugly colors that's why :colbert:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Purple is the best color. Preferably eggplant

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

bows1 posted:

Purple is the best color. Preferably eggplant

Aubergine. Or is 'eggplant' the colour? Eh, aubergine sounds better.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 17, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lizard Combatant posted:

Aubergine. Or is 'eggplant' the colour? Eh, aubergine sounds better.

Yeah, it sounds better if your Eurotrash. :colbert:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, it sounds better if your Eurotrash. :colbert:

Just speaking the King's old boy. Spare me your quaint American cant.

e: Yes, 'aubergine' has a French origin. But that's English for you, stealing the best of other languages.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 17, 2012

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

QuoProQuid posted:

Purple and green were commonly used as colors for super villains in comic books. 60's Marvel is probably most notorious for it. Just had that conversation with my dad yesterday. It's the sort of thing you don't really notice until someone mentions it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Die Laughing posted:

Purple and green were commonly used as colors for super villains in comic books. 60's Marvel is probably most notorious for it. Just had that conversation with my dad yesterday. It's the sort of thing you don't really notice until someone mentions it.

Huh. Suddenly the Incredible Hulk is in a whole different ballgame.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

DC did it just as much. The Joker, Lex Luthors power armor, The Parasite, Brainiac, etc. It's because all the heroes were primary colors, red, yellow, blue, so making the villains purple and green was a simple visual shorthand.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

Huh. Suddenly the Incredible Hulk is in a whole different ballgame.

Don't forget that The Incredible Hulk was much more a monster story than it was a superhero when it was created. Stan Lee and Stan Goldberg butted heads on his original color though so maybe I'm fighting myself here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nate Breakman posted:

Don't forget that The Incredible Hulk was much more a monster story than it was a superhero when it was created. Stan Lee and Stan Goldberg butted heads on his original color though so maybe I'm fighting myself here.

He was originally supposed to be grey, but then there was a colorist error in the 2nd or 3rd issue and he turned green, and they ran with it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So during halftime at yesterday's football match I had the unpleasant misfortune of seeing a tv ad for Sandler's latest movie and noticed that they actually used tweets as review blurbs.

Next we'll posters that allow for realtime display of tweets mentioning the movie.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZeeBoi posted:

So during halftime at yesterday's football match I had the unpleasant misfortune of seeing a tv ad for Sandler's latest movie and noticed that they actually used tweets as review blurbs.

Next we'll posters that allow for realtime display of tweets mentioning the movie.

Tweets must be a godsend for marketing people. Making a few fake Twitter accounts and writing glowing tweets about your product and being on the golf course my noon instead of the days of writing fake testimonials and staging fake man-on-the-street interviews.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It's also a nightmare when a hashtag trends for all the wrong reasons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

If they can't filter them to only show the good ones, this will be the best thing to ever happen.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

If they can't filter them to only show the good ones, this will be the best thing to ever happen.

There was some Mass Effect 3 thing that collected mentions of the game on Twitter and a few other places and collaged them together. They anticipated that people would be overwhelmingly positive, so there was no filter or oversight for what went up. Problem was, internet response to the game quickly turned extremely negative and blew up in their face. For a while, you'd see the internet, in all it's hyperbolic glory, declaring "WORST GAME EVER" on their automatic ad.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

ZeeBoi posted:

Last week I saw a New York Times ad for "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" that used tweets instead of reviews. Frankly, I'm amazed this isn't something that's caught on, especially for movies dependent on word of mouth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

Last week I saw a New York Times ad for "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" that used tweets instead of reviews. Frankly, I'm amazed this isn't something that's caught on, especially for movies dependent on word of mouth.

The example to follow here isn't using tweet reviews but simply using the title of the itself. "Look at that, this movie is the 'best'!"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A whole bunch of posters for Total Recall came out yesterday.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
For a second I had to google "Rekall."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJEllFk3Hqw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

QuoProQuid posted:

A whole bunch of posters for Total Recall came out yesterday.

Well, at least they put effort into this one. The rest of them look like stock photos.