Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

Totally the opposite of SuperSpecialAwesome
Just about to finish it for the third time :). Revolver=awesome. Why the hell did I stick with the assault rifle or machine pistol on my last 2 games?

Also the amount of praxis points you can get is craaazy! When entering Panchea I had gotten 54/69 (≈78%) of the upgrades. Considering you don't need any hacking upgrades except capture and turret/robot control it meant having every upgrade I wanted. They really should have balanced that a bit better.

Also I really want to punch Megan Reed in her stupid face:argh: just like I did Sarif and Taggart (so drat satisfying that you can do that).

NecroBob posted:

I got Foxiest of the Hounds and Pacifist on my last playthrough. My understanding is that if you get the "Smooth Operator" bonus in every place that it's applicable, you'll get the Foxiest achievement. Guards can see you, but as long as they don't set off alarms, you're good.
The Deus Ex wiki has really detailed instructions for getting the bonuses and achievments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Fidde posted:

The Deus Ex wiki has really detailed instructions for getting the bonuses and achievments.

Oh, definitely! I had this open in a second window the entire time during my last playthrough.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can you still get Factory Zero in The Missing Link if you use takedowns?

e: What the gently caress how did I not get it :staredog:

muike fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 14, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fidde posted:

Just about to finish it for the third time :). Revolver=awesome. Why the hell did I stick with the assault rifle or machine pistol on my last 2 games?

Also the amount of praxis points you can get is craaazy! When entering Panchea I had gotten 54/69 (≈78%) of the upgrades. Considering you don't need any hacking upgrades except capture and turret/robot control it meant having every upgrade I wanted. They really should have balanced that a bit better.

Also I really want to punch Megan Reed in her stupid face:argh: just like I did Sarif and Taggart (so drat satisfying that you can do that).

You can punch them? I just wrapped things up at Panchea and I don't recall seeing an option for it. I guess just hit Q? I've wanted to sock those two for the longest time, them and Pritchard, the jackass.

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

Totally the opposite of SuperSpecialAwesome
And that's why this and the first Deus Ex are so awesome. Several interesting things you can do aren't spelled out for you. You can just test the boundaries of the game and see what's possible. And often the game acknowledges that you've made those choices. This was even more prevalent and awesome in the first Deus Ex.

Fidde fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 14, 2012

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I never knew this, there are actually 12 endings. Okay so its mostly a tone and dialogue change to what you get already, but the stuff which comes out of immoral's set of endings is actually kind of nice for a videogame. Jensen actually sounds somewhat remorseful for what he had to do to get the job done.

That said, i could totally see them going with the Taggart ending if they make another Deus Ex:<Subtitle> before the original, or if they go with an alterative take on the first game.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
As I was beating the game I started writing a review for it (hobby) and it's kinda been fermenting in my mind for a while now, and everytime I see a dumb Youtube video I really, really, want to start playing again. My first playthrough was as close to non-lethal and stealthy as I could get without actually doing it, but now I've just got a strong urge to carry a vending machine all whole way.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

muike posted:

Can you still get Factory Zero in The Missing Link if you use takedowns?

e: What the gently caress how did I not get it :staredog:
I can't remember if I was cheated out of this one, too, but maybe this happened to you:

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Factory_Zero posted:

If you don't get the achievement and you are positive you did not do anything that would prevent you from getting it, most likely one of the Spec Ops guys blew up in the Detention Camp. 10 minutes is plenty of time to knock all the guards out to prevent any from exploding. The explosion seems to occur at the same time, or shortly after, dealing with the gas.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

So I'm trying to get into the game but the whole "only 1 energy cell recharges" thing is really ruining it for me. Having to find a chocolate bar so I can knock someone out is getting tiresome. That trainer in the OP doesn't work. Is there some other mod that'll let me recharge more than 1 base cell?

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw
There is no such mod. Just get the faster recharge aug and look around for more chocolate bars. By the end of the game I usually have so many that I'm running out of space in my inventory. It's fairly rare that you need to do more than one takedown in quick succession anyway.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

doctor 7 posted:

So I'm trying to get into the game but the whole "only 1 energy cell recharges" thing is really ruining it for me. Having to find a chocolate bar so I can knock someone out is getting tiresome. That trainer in the OP doesn't work. Is there some other mod that'll let me recharge more than 1 base cell?
The latest patch broke the trainer, right now all we have is a Cheat Engine script:

code:
local addr = "[[[[[dxhr.exe+015DE1A8]+14]+270]+6C]+A0]+274";
local f = createForm( true );
local t = createTimer( f, true );
timer_setInterval( t, 1000 );

timer_onTimer( t, function( )
local energy = readFloat(addr);
if math.abs(energy % 30.0) < 0.005 then
writeFloat(addr, energy + 0.01);
end
end );
Source: this Eidos Forums thread

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
:shepface:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Hello, new wallpaper.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is The Missing Link the only story addon they're doing? It's kinda disappointing there is all this build-up to this moon base and nothing.

For a sequel I guess.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm pretty sure we've been blue balled by the moon base for twelve years now.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

I really ought to do a, for want of a better term, insanity run sometime :haw: I've not even killed anyone with a vending machine yet! But it'll have to wait until I've done my 'kill all enemies' run. After playing through what seemed like an endless queue of sword 'n sorcery RPGs I really needed a change[1]. I thought I'd milked DX:HR (and it's DLC) dry when it came out, but drat its still an awesome game, that still totally does the business for me.

As for the 'kill all enemies' :turianass:gimmick:turianass:... Well, I did three playthroughs previously, of which one was entirely non-lethal (bosses aside), and the other two were mostly non-lethal. Even my so-called gun-centric run had a shitload of stealthing and stunning in it. So it was time to just stomp around and blast everyone to hell and back.

While modding the Pistol is as enjoyably overpowered as it was in the original DX, there is something especially cathartic about a shotgun with the 'double-fire' mod.

[1] Especially after trying Two Worlds II. God drat, that game just battered me with its excessively weird... everything.

Edit: Okay, so I finally caved in and tried the 'carry a hacked turret around' thing. loving glorious :supaburn:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is The Missing Link the only story addon they're doing? It's kinda disappointing there is all this build-up to this moon base and nothing.

For a sequel I guess.

I think so. Which is a shame. For me it was to DX:HR as "Lair of the Shadow Broker" was to ME2, inasmuch as it had in it everything I liked about the game, and then some, and none of the stuff I disliked.

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 18, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Wait wait, how long is The Missing Link, and is it just a big level? And are there any conversation bosses?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Szmitten posted:

Wait wait, how long is The Missing Link, and is it just a big level? And are there any conversation bosses?

It is pretty sizable, in my opinion. I must have gotten a good 10+ hours out of my three jaunts through it (though I do like to take my sweet time in these sorts of games). As with the base game, it can be quite breezy if you run and gun, all the way through to slow and tense if you go for an aug-less ghost run. (Incidentally, it is worth with going for an aug-less ghost run; its very well tuned for that sort of approach.)

I can't remember if they is any CASIE-style conversation stuff to be had, but such key encounters it has are nothing whatsoever like the Merc-boss fights from the base game. Like the base game, there are a smattering of side-quests to be had too.

There is some backtracking to be had, though for me it wasn't an issue. The areas the DLC is set in are largish, and there was a good sense of them being actual *places*. I thought it was well worth the MSP.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I just keep going back and forth on it and I keep hearing mixed reactions, but it's an okay price so I might go for it at some point.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

magimix posted:

It is pretty sizable, in my opinion. I must have gotten a good 10+ hours out of my three jaunts through it (though I do like to take my sweet time in these sorts of games). As with the base game, it can be quite breezy if you run and gun, all the way through to slow and tense if you go for an aug-less ghost run. (Incidentally, it is worth with going for an aug-less ghost run; its very well tuned for that sort of approach.)

I can't remember if they is any CASIE-style conversation stuff to be had, but such key encounters it has are nothing whatsoever like the Merc-boss fights from the base game. Like the base game, there are a smattering of side-quests to be had too.

There is some backtracking to be had, though for me it wasn't an issue. The areas the DLC is set in are largish, and there was a good sense of them being actual *places*. I thought it was well worth the MSP.

There's a conversation where the mod is used, but only for a quick persuasion and nothing like a "boss-fight" as seen with most of the more important characters in the main game.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Szmitten posted:

It's just one big level, but the way Liberty Island was just one big level. There's a lot of stuff to explore.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Is it possible to disable head bobbing yet? I'd like to finish this game one day.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
My finest moment in Deus Ex was incapacitating all of the UNATCO agents before sending the signal in Hell's Kitchen, accomplished through the ancient art of blocking their vision with cardboard.

10 years later, I'm doing the same thing in the police station.

Maybe in 10 years the AIs will start batting the boxes away, then I'm hosed. Either that or their next character will have an aug that generates cardboard.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You would need special Praxis kits made from cardboard.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Deus Ex: Human Cardboard. So people will be left behind, it's cardboard.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

I just keep going back and forth on it and I keep hearing mixed reactions, but it's an okay price so I might go for it at some point.

The best DLC is some variation on the main game, or just the same but in such a way that feels more important. Missing Link doesn't offer any features that the rest of the game doesn't already have (except a boss battle that's actually fun), and it actually feels less important than the rest of the game. If it was a regular part of the game it wouldn't really stand out. So yea, definitely not must have. But, if you like the game, and just want another level, get it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

The best DLC is some variation on the main game, or just the same but in such a way that feels more important. Missing Link doesn't offer any features that the rest of the game doesn't already have (except a boss battle that's actually fun), and it actually feels less important than the rest of the game. If it was a regular part of the game it wouldn't really stand out. So yea, definitely not must have. But, if you like the game, and just want another level, get it.

Fighting the Mantis is fun. :colbert:

Just don't take the easy way out and get the upgrade that negates electricity. The floor is lava, electric lava and you must jump to survive!

The other two guys were chumps though.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 19, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Just finished playing Alpha Protocol. It is very satisfying for that "need more Deus Ex" fix, even though it isn't the same experience.
Particularly of note is that there is no path of the perfect 100% run-through. You're going to make sacrifices. Your playthrough and ending will be unique. How things goes inescapably comes down to your choices, so you might as well not read internet guides, try to min/max things, or only settle for saving everybody. Give up your OCD from the very beginning.
It's definitely a gem. Feels crafted like it's the kind of game one of the designers always wanted to make.

(Warning that there is a lot more mandatory combat and 0 air ducts to crawl through.)

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Hogburto posted:

Just finished playing Alpha Protocol. It is very satisfying for that "need more Deus Ex" fix, even though it isn't the same experience.
Particularly of note is that there is no path of the perfect 100% run-through. You're going to make sacrifices. Your playthrough and ending will be unique. How things goes inescapably comes down to your choices, so you might as well not read internet guides, try to min/max things, or only settle for saving everybody. Give up your OCD from the very beginning.
It's definitely a gem. Feels crafted like it's the kind of game one of the designers always wanted to make.

(Warning that there is a lot more mandatory combat and 0 air ducts to crawl through.)

With a bit more polish and some improvement, AP would have been one heckuva game

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dice Dice Baby posted:

With a bit more polish and some improvement, AP would have been one heckuva game

Yup, it topped off a long series of Obisidian games like that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's been said a thousand times before, but Alpha Protocol comes the closest of any game I know to a real video game story, one that actually responds to even your smallest decisions in a meaningful way instead of just branching at big glowing decision points.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I've played through Alpha Protocol at least 12 times and saw completely unique and new content I had no idea existed every single time. Compare that to something like Mass Effect where you can maybe see what being mean is like on a second playthrough. I still maintain you haven't beat Alpha Protocol until you've played it through at least three times and marveled at how differently stuff turned out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sounds like I really need to get Alpha Protocol. Does it play like Deus Ex, and if so, is it more like the original or HR?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game is mission based as opposed to HUB based like DX. As far as actual sneaking, it feels more like if HR was a budget title than the first game.

Also, any game with an "Orphans created" stat needs to be played by everyone.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
HR if I had to compare it to something. Pro Tip: go pistols and melee/stealth.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

jojoinnit posted:

Sounds like I really need to get Alpha Protocol. Does it play like Deus Ex, and if so, is it more like the original or HR?

It has the shooting mechanics of the original DX, where you have to actually wait for the crosshairs in order to reliably aim, but it has the feel of a lower-budget Mass Effect, with a lot of third-person moving around in cover. It's basically a hybrid of DX and Mass Effect 1, which means it's clunky at the best of times, but you're not playing for the merely passable action sequences, you're playing for the highly reactive story and dialogue. Go with pistols and stealth, only fire your gun when you've lined up a critical shot or else you will miss. Then do a second playthrough where you roleplay as what is commonly referred to as "Shotgun rear end in a top hat" and work out your frustrations while also being constantly surprised at how differently things are turning out.

You know the moment where you go into the woman's bathroom and Manderley is like "Hey, don't go in the women's bathroom."? AP is basically an entire game of that.

EDIT: It also shares a similarity with the first DX in that the opening missions are lame as gently caress. The game does not take off at all until after you finish Saudi Arabia, so if it's not grabbing you right away, I really suggest you power through because those first few missions are essentially a glorified tutorial, even though you already HAD an entire tutorial mission.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

jojoinnit posted:

The gameplay is almost completely different - the point of comparison is mostly the complex, open-ended story. Hope you like playing stealth in HR, because that's the only way to play AP that isn't completely miserable, at least when you're just starting out. Alpha Protocol is a ton of fun if you can work with the initially awkward gameplay, and it's cheap too, so I'd say go for it.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
"This weekend only, save 75% on all Deus Ex titles! The award winning franchise blends the best of Action and RPG: the perfect mix of combat, stealth, hacking, and social gameplay."

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15147/ - Discount ends Monday at 10am Pacific Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cyne posted:

The gameplay is almost completely different - the point of comparison is mostly the complex, open-ended story. Hope you like playing stealth in HR, because that's the only way to play AP that isn't completely miserable, at least when you're just starting out. Alpha Protocol is a ton of fun if you can work with the initially awkward gameplay, and it's cheap too, so I'd say go for it.

HR does have more interesting actual gameplay and more complex levels.

But Alpha Protocol is a pretty decent game overall despite the flaws and worth trying if you enjoyed HR.

And it does a better jump at allowing the player to change the plots in interesting ways throughout the game while HR has a smaller selection of points to change the plot direction of the game.

• Locked thread