Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hahah yeah, I made my main character based off of the Lady from the Black Company books. My pawn is a massive, grizzled old warrior. You do get a guy voice if you chose a guy pawn, but it's not necessarily YOUR pawn's voice. Seems Capcom couldn't afford to have all the voice actors say "MASTER!" one more time. :v:

Ah, I may have lucked out and had just the right one, then.

Also you have good taste in books! Maybe I'll make a One-Eye pawn if I can find a lovely enough hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

My main pawn was originally intended to be Croaker but I didn't stick with the gimmick because the pawn I'd made in the demo looked cool, so I kept him. One-Eye and Goblin gimmick run would be the best run. :allears:

It would be better in co-op so you could throw one another off and/or at things.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Manatee Cannon posted:

My main pawn was originally intended to be Croaker but I didn't stick with the gimmick because the pawn I'd made in the demo looked cool, so I kept him. One-Eye and Goblin gimmick run would be the best run. :allears:

It would be better in co-op so you could throw one another off and/or at things.

The legacy of Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers lives on.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is the DLC just those make-work notice board quests and horse armor?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Am I the only one who doesn't kill the non-hostile animals like ox and deer and rabbits? My Arisen is a friend of nature. He also doesn't eat meat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't kill the non-hostile animals like ox and deer and rabbits? My Arisen is a friend of nature. He also doesn't eat meat.

Yes. Yes you are. Everyone here murders every living thing they come across for money. When times are tough, so will you! "Friend of nature" is all well and good but when you need that money for that new weapon, thinning out the population of the local wildlife seems like a good prospect.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Not me cause it's just a waste of time. I think I did the rabbit one before I realized board quests are pretty much meaningless aside from the gold rewards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went out of my way to fire dozens of arrows at a herd of deer for something like 750 gold.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is the DLC just those make-work notice board quests and horse armor?

Looks like it since I really doubt they'll make an expansion like RDR and GTA4 have. It looks like metal golems aren't completely immune to magic since I was able to hit the amulet that's floating in the air with the MK's magic cannon and actually destroy it. Dunno if it was because i had no enchantments on or what.

Playing as the legendary dire werewolf is pretty drat funny especially in cutscenes.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

How rad is magic archer? It looks pretty rad what with the magic and the abstract sculpture bows.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FirstPersonShitter posted:

How rad is magic archer? It looks pretty rad what with the magic and the abstract sculpture bows.

It's pretty rad. Remember how it was kind of annoying to kill those weakling goblin packs over and over again? With Magic Archer just use one ability and kill them all in about 2 seconds.

The only downside is that the abilities have an element attached to them and the default attack is magical, so you won't be able to do damage to Metal Golem plates that are in the air.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Do you like making mosh pits out of anyone with a single arrow and setting yourself on fire?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You know Harpies? You get a homing shot that hits ten targets at once.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Giggily posted:

You know Harpies? You get a homing shot that hits ten targets at once.
And all ghost-types enemies, which tend to get one-shotted because it's a holy element attack and they are tiny, frail little babies.

Magick Archer with Assassin augments: Turning the night from harrowing experience to hilarious free-farm in a few easy steps.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Man I gotta get into this sweet magic archer action. I kind of overlooked the class cause I assumed it would all be like, foresty elf poo poo. But apparently it is actually a self-immolating SAM turret.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The best part of magic archer is that flare shot. In most games it's usually useless. In this one, it's literally like a half mile worth of light. Really makes fighting dire wolves and poo poo at night a breeze.

Man I gotta get into this sweet magic archer action. I kind of overlooked the class cause I assumed it would all be like, foresty elf poo poo. But apparently it is actually a self-immolating SAM turret.
Honestly the biggest problem with MA is that your damage will feel like crap sometimes. There's really no super duper magic bows in the game if I can recall correctly. There's probably a way to fix this through the various augments.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rascyc posted:

Honestly the biggest problem with MA is that your damage will feel like crap sometimes. There's really no super duper magic bows in the game if I can recall correctly. There's probably a way to fix this through the various augments.

Take both the Mage and Sorceror magic boosting augments. I'm level 40 something, having not gotten to the end game at all really, and my magic attack with the bow is about 600. The end game ones should get that to at least 800, assuming that my stats don't increase much at all until then. Magic Archer is okay for damage if you do things right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The best end game magic bow I've ever seen had less than 300 magic. Considering I get over 1000 from my archistaff, it's a little sad. Does the assassin get a magic augment? Because I thought the only damage modifiers you get as assassin are for strength. Otherwise, sorcerer for acuity would help. If that and the weaker magic buff augment stack then that could go a fair way towards making your magic stat not terrible as a magic archer. Also leveling a lot as sorcerer.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Manatee Cannon posted:

The best end game magic bow I've ever seen had less than 300 magic. Considering I get over 1000 from my archistaff, it's a little sad. Does the assassin get a magic augment? Because I thought the only damage modifiers you get as assassin are for strength. Otherwise, sorcerer for acuity would help. If that and the weaker magic buff augment stack then that could go a fair way towards making your magic stat not terrible as a magic archer. Also leveling a lot as sorcerer.
The Nighttime and Solo augments apply to both Strength and Magic.

You also have to consider the rate of attack between Sorcerer and Magic Archer. Magic Archers can let loose a ton of arrows before a Sorcerer has a fully charged High ____. Additionally, you get a bunch more mobility as a MA, which is the main trade off. Sorcerers are most definitely a lot more damaging, but that's a result of losing mobility and having long casting times.
Furthermore, MAs have a fairly diverse movepool. You have dagger skills, staff skills and magic bow skills.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah but 800 is just on the boundary of poop for post-game, but that sounds like it's before bloodlust. Bloodlust makes post-game way easier for everyone. Another thing to consider is that immolate is passive damage on big targets, so you can immolate yourself and stab away. Anyway for most of the game MA is a blast, I enjoyed about 30 levels of it myself. I just don't know if I could play one in post-game.

To be honest I don't really like the post game much anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's still be faster to deal with a group of enemies (or a single large enemy) as a sorcerer, though is the thing. One cast of meteor - not even high meteor and I kill everything around me. The ice spear can flat out kill a chimera in one cast.

I don't feel that the trade offs are really fair to the magic archer is what I'm saying.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've got a level 60 sorceror in the post game already and the reason I don't play it much is that everything is either trivial or incredibly frustrating. A couple of hellhounds are a huge problem for me but any of the big monsters are stupidly easy. If I can get a spellcast off usually I win. If there's anything small and fast that interrupts easily there is really gently caress all I can do. Plus I miss out on climbing on enemies and melee combat and all that. Makes the game feel a bit QTEish.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's still be faster to deal with a group of enemies (or a single large enemy) as a sorcerer, though is the thing. One cast of meteor - not even high meteor and I kill everything around me. The ice spear can flat out kill a chimera in one cast.

I don't feel that the trade offs are really fair to the magic archer is what I'm saying.
And I can immolate myself, jump on that chimera and stab it to death in a couple of seconds.
In all honesty, it doesn't really matter. Min/maxing and damage efficiency is really not an issue in this game. Magic Archer is more fun to play than Sorcerer, so I get more mileage out of it. I don't really care if a single Bolide can kill a bunch of goblins.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the best end game Archistaff has 1000~ magic, while the best end game Magick Bow has 500~ magic. At the same time, Magick Archers can also get magic daggers. They aren't as broken as Sorecerors, but they aren't bad by any means.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Nahxela posted:

And I can immolate myself

Was on the fence about magical archery, but drat sold me on this.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The best thing about that is that you can fly through NG+ by just running at everything and instantly killing small and mid sized enemies. It made some areas like the catacombs super short when you know the layout and just run your rear end to the quest marker.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Sometimes, when I'm near a Healing Spring, I will immolate myself and stand in it for fun.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
So goon tooooooo bad has a warrior with a giant metal ball and a commoner's dress. It's amazing, but I've never seen the dress before. Is it DLC?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Magick Archer is the best class because you can light yourself on fire and shoot your pawns at the enemy.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Damnit, loading my savegame made my Xbox freeze so now I have to start over again :negative:

Isn't it possible to have more than one save in this game or is it just one 'profile' or something for each character that you save into? Otherwise, why wouldn't you keep multiple saves of varying points in the game, as well as two of your current save? That's like, babytown frolics.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

TehGherkin posted:

Isn't it possible to have more than one save in this game or is it just one 'profile' or something for each character that you save into? Otherwise, why wouldn't you keep multiple saves of varying points in the game, as well as two of your current save? That's like, babytown frolics.

Because it isn't possible.

1 character, 1 save. The game will give you a "checkpoint save," occasionally that's separate from your hard save, but it's not like a Bethesda game or something where you get a list of all your saves to choose from.

When you're loading a game from the main menu, your last save is all you have.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bakalakadaka posted:

Magick Archer is the best class because you can light yourself on fire and shoot your pawns at the enemy.
Speaking of which, does that MA ability kill your pawn dead dead or just knock them down and leave them revivable?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

likecnsnnts posted:

So goon tooooooo bad has a warrior with a giant metal ball and a commoner's dress. It's amazing, but I've never seen the dress before. Is it DLC?

1. wow fast, I only made him into a lady and put him in the outfit like twenty minutes ago.

2. It's the Servant's Garb, which is in the game now but most people don't know where to get it. As far as I know you can only find it in the Duchess's Bedchamber, but only if you search the room at night. During the day the search spots in the room always give just money. Also, random chance and all, you should save before you start searching because you won't necessarily get it the first time.

My hope is that the relative novelty of my anime battlemaid might translate into amazing profits because I want to buy those dumb super expensive accessories. And dragonforged the stats on it are actually alright.

e: makes you wonder what other search spots change according to time of day.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 20, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Any PS3 players in the post-game looking to get an easy Ur-Dragon kill, it's probably going down in the next 5 minutes or so. Follow along on the worst forum on the internet to find out when the grace period kicks in!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/63156735?page=8

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In. Your. Face. Stupid hydra. That's what you get for calling me out and making me hike all the way out there.

I've only done Warrior, Fighter and a smidgen of Strider on this character; would I be totally hosed if I decided to jump into Magic Archer at level 50 in the post-game? Maybe I'll just wait until I (eventually) get back in to NG+.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
I'm trying to transfer some items from my main character to a new character I made on another account. I figured I could just gift them to the other account's main pawn but I can't seem to find the pawn in the rift by searching by online id. Is there a work around or an easier way to do this?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

Speaking of which, does that MA ability kill your pawn dead dead or just knock them down and leave them revivable?

It flat out kills them dead. The final pawn you sacrifice will also trigger Autonomy if you have it, so the final sacrifice packs quite a punch.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Any PS3 players in the post-game looking to get an easy Ur-Dragon kill, it's probably going down in the next 5 minutes or so. Follow along on the worst forum on the internet to find out when the grace period kicks in!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/63156735?page=8
And nevermind! It looks like this generation had no grace period.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Jesus christ, I could listen to that main theme song forever and ever. I don't have the OST, is there any more tracks as fantastic as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTeHzzefS4

Lyrics, which are amazingly bizarre, believe it or not:

quote:

Today I woke and looked outside again
But the sky looked the same to me
Something told me that this world had changed
Couldn't figure out what did it mean

Some say to get out fast, looks like it's gonna last
Get all your things and fly (DON'T LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND)
Some said it'll be OK, just go ahead and stay
Be sure to drink your iodine

The wind is pushing me, into the clouds again
I feel the blood in my veins
Time is running free, I feel like letting go
Just like the Dangan

Staring out to the hourglass inside
My mind is racing and wild
Blinded by eyes that cover up the facts
Uncertainty with all the cracks in a smile

I'm breathing life or death, are we making progress?
Not really sure this time (THE CHOICE IS YOURS AND MINE)
Not sure what to do next, no real test reflex
Can't touch or see with my own eyes

The wave is pushing me, into the current again
Time is running free, I feel like letting go
Nothing to slow me down
Dragon inside of me, I feel it letting go
I can't hear not a sound
Flying into free, I hit the mother lode
I am the Dangan

The wave is pushing me, into the current again
Diving into free, can feel it letting go
Not gonna hit the ground
The sky is painted free, why can't we understand
We kill ourselves in the end
It's simple as one, two, three, it's written in the sand
We are the Dangan

Flying
Flying
Flying
Flying into free

It's part of why I've described DD to people as "real-time 1980's dungeons and dragons," as someone who's never gotten to play it really just seems to nail that sorta feel.

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

And nevermind! It looks like this generation had no grace period.
Hahaha, that was bugged as gently caress. I participated a little earlier and got two wakestone shards, an amborial meat, a saurian tail as late rewards. :raise:

• Locked thread