Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

And before anyone brings this up again, YES I KNOW THAT THE PLURAL OF PREY IS PREY.

THIS IS WHY THERE IS A TL NOTE IN THE CHAPTER.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

If you're still confused about this, read through the TL note again and think about why I would write it. If you still don't understand, think harder.

poo poo at english, poo poo at damage control. Good chapter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
"A man who has lost everything will turn to the devil."
drat.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
How did he get the thumb drive? Is that his sole ability, stealing small objects from across the room?

I wonder how long it usually takes for a regular to become a ranker, and at what point they get to live forever. Regulars are so much weaker that they must all be planning on training for decades as they climb.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cooldude2.0 posted:

I wonder how long it usually takes for a regular to become a ranker, and at what point they get to live forever. Regulars are so much weaker that they must all be planning on training for decades as they climb.

I think as you get more powerful (higher in the tower?) the longer your lifespan anyway. So even making it up to the 20th floor probably gives you a significant boost to your lifespan.

It's probably an effect of all that shinsoo.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

cooldude2.0 posted:

How did he get the thumb drive? Is that his sole ability, stealing small objects from across the room?

I think he just ran up and grabbed it. If you were fighting somebody else to the death, wouldn't you be caught off-guard if somebody appeared out of nowhere and threw a grenade at you?

Spellcheck
Oct 23, 2008

by angerbot

cooldude2.0 posted:

he used a reel from his pocket. The impressive thing is he caught it on the very top of the remote while it the inside of a pepper cloud and being held by a ranker. IF anything this man has EPIC aim.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Slime posted:

I think as you get more powerful (higher in the tower?) the longer your lifespan anyway. So even making it up to the 20th floor probably gives you a significant boost to your lifespan.

It's probably an effect of all that shinsoo.

Which is part of what makes Baam/Viole such a monster. Shinsoo is part power for Rankers and part a challange since it starts effecting movement in higher densities. Shinsoo is less then Air to him and any Shinsoo technique someone may have spent years working on he learns with a glance.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So how important is the exposition in the first few chapters? Im trying to start this manhwa since it looks interesting, but even batoto's images are hella blurry and I can't make out any text(the first chapter of the second floor). Am I hosed? Or is it just my phone sucking?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You're trying to read it on a phone which is almost certainly the problem

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

You're trying to read it on a phone which is almost certainly the problem

Thank goodness you're right. I'll see you guys again in a few days when I've caught up :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just finished the latest chapter, thought more were out than that...

Vol 2 shat on my favorite part of the manwha which was our irregular's derpyness. I personally hate brooding characters because they add nothing to a series besides frustration and usually really dumb looks. I hope Prince Zahad punches him in the face and we can get back to monster teamwork soon.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

Just finished the latest chapter, thought more were out than that...

Vol 2 shat on my favorite part of the manwha which was our irregular's derpyness. I personally hate brooding characters because they add nothing to a series besides frustration and usually really dumb looks. I hope Prince Zahad punches him in the face and we can get back to monster teamwork soon.

New Baam is radically different from old Baam but I don't know if I'd describe him in the way that you have. The whole no-eyes thing is getting overplayed a bit, but I don't feel like he brings 'brooding' and 'frustration' to the table. I get a lot of indifference from him, toward the regulars he's with and probably more importantly, to the 'test' itself. The whole idea of this FUG business he's up to is making a mockery of the testing procedure, which is effectively spitting in Zahard's face.

I don't know why he's redirecting his betrayal angst toward Zahard, but it definitely seems like something that'll come up in future chapters - I can't imagine we'll get through this part without a flashback at least mentioning his FUG induction.

Most importantly, though, it's been hinted this whole time that the old Baam is still hiding under his bangs. I won't go into raw discussion here, but feel free to get a peek at the next chapter and make up your mind on the situation here:
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=101&weekday=mon

As a final note you should hunt down some of the older blog posts, SIU shares quite a bit of his thought process on the characters and where he's going with the series. You can find those strewn about the Batoto forums.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sarcophallus posted:

I don't know why he's redirecting his betrayal angst toward Zahard, but it definitely seems like something that'll come up in future chapters - I can't imagine we'll get through this part without a flashback at least mentioning his FUG induction.
I always assumed it was because he's still not capable of hating Rachel, so he blames her betrayal on the test system Zahard and the noble families set up.

Maybe he even believes that if he can destroy the system Rachel will come back to him.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 19, 2012

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Sarcophallus posted:

It definitely should come up in future chapters, but I think he may just be him realizing that his betrayal was less a personal thing and more the natural result of people wanting to climb the tower. Cuz that crap is happening to everyone on these floors. I think he probably just realizes that since all irregulars are guaranteed to be the strongest in the tower, he's in a better position than anyone else in existence to put an end to all the bullshit after he reaches the top.

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 19, 2012

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Frome posted:

It definitely should come up in future chapters, but I think he may just be him realizing that his betrayal was less a personal thing and more the natural result of people wanting to climb the tower. Cuz that crap is happening to everyone on these floors. I think he probably just realizes that since all irregulars are guaranteed to be the strongest in the tower, he's in a better position than anyone else in existence to put an end to all the bullshit after he reaches the top.

This is more or less what I had in mind. I don't think he came to the conclusion by himself, though - if only because of his last lines in the part 1 epilogue. It was pretty obvious that he was directing his anger at her, so I figure the guide and FUG basically coached him into hating Zahard's system. That fits in with the change from his epilogue line to his response to Chicken Love, when questioned about his goal.

The way I see it at the moment is that Rachel was a sort of naive mother figure to him, and Hwa Ryun came in to inject the 'reality' of the tower. After all, Rachel thought the Tower was a magical tower where wonderful 'Fae' would guide children to the top. That was clearly not the case, even from the first two chapters. While Rachel realized it immediately when she came to the Tower, (Where she felt Headon basically told her to die), Baam didn't see any of it as unusual until after Rachel's betrayal, which did away with the naive innocence that she was responsible for in the first place.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rachel's betrayal was all designed to hide Baam from Zahard from what I remember though. They needed to have him appear dead so that the rulers wouldn't be aware of another irregular climbing the tower. I would have thought Baam would have been told of this once he'd been recovered after the betrayal took place

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Scott Bakula posted:

Rachel's betrayal was all designed to hide Baam from Zahard from what I remember though. They needed to have him appear dead so that the rulers wouldn't be aware of another irregular climbing the tower. I would have thought Baam would have been told of this once he'd been recovered after the betrayal took place

I'm hesitant to agree in the sense that I don't think Rachel was "in" on the plan at all, I'm under the impression she truly thought she'd killed him. I don't disagree that there's some sort of conspiratory plan to hide Baam between Yu Hansung and Headon.

Best as I can tell Baam wasn't told, because of these two frames. Or maybe Baam just wants to know if she was ignorant of the plan or in on it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I meant that he knows since the time skip

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sarcophallus posted:

New Baam is radically different from old Baam but I don't know if I'd describe him in the way that you have. The whole no-eyes thing is getting overplayed a bit, but I don't feel like he brings 'brooding' and 'frustration' to the table. I get a lot of indifference from him, toward the regulars he's with and probably more importantly, to the 'test' itself. The whole idea of this FUG business he's up to is making a mockery of the testing procedure, which is effectively spitting in Zahard's face.

Most importantly, though, it's been hinted this whole time that the old Baam is still hiding under his bangs. I won't go into raw discussion here, but feel free to get a peek at the next chapter and make up your mind on the situation here:
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=101&weekday=mon

As a final note you should hunt down some of the older blog posts, SIU shares quite a bit of his thought process on the characters and where he's going with the series. You can find those strewn about the Batoto forums.

I thought the whole "Ill just do the guardian test" was a lot better way of saying screw the system. Not only does it go over Zahad law bs, it also raises way more people to higher levels, usually with positive feelings towards Baam, thus creating an army of cool people instead of going all Sasuke on us and just making the situation worse. For me the tone and style switch felt like changing from One Piece(fun, well thought out, pretty) to Bleach(bland/blank). I guess it seems to be reverting a bit though, which is good. The only loner character I've seen done well is Guts, and that's because he doesn't push away help like an idiot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There was never any indication that Rachel did not betray Baam. Otherwise, why would she have actually stabbed him? No one was observing them in the bubble. Baam doesn't have any special resistance to being stabbed, drowning or water pressure. It isn't clear how he survived, but it certainly wasn't due to anything Rachel did.

Rachel accepted the deal to kill Baam. She stabbed Baam. She used Baam's death as a way to get carried to the top of the tower. So, obviously this was all a clever ruse by someone who had never demonstrated any particular resourcefulness.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

There was never any indication that Rachel did not betray Baam. Otherwise, why would she have actually stabbed him? No one was observing them in the bubble. Baam doesn't have any special resistance to being stabbed, drowning or water pressure. It isn't clear how he survived, but it certainly wasn't due to anything Rachel did.

Rachel accepted the deal to kill Baam. She stabbed Baam. She used Baam's death as a way to get carried to the top of the tower. So, obviously this was all a clever ruse by someone who had never demonstrated any particular resourcefulness.

It's totally part of the deal she made with Headon, he probably told her to betray Baam because he wants Zahard out of there and he knows Baam is a god damned monster. I mean, the other irregular that is super powerful with shinsoo can supposedly create life. With Baam's mind shattered by the betrayal, he can be easily influenced.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Early scan for 'Preys' 2:

http://imgur.com/a/ZEk0e

Magnifying glass icon in the top right maximizes, 7 pages total.

This weeks' chapter is really good.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sarcophallus posted:

Early scan for 'Preys' 2:

http://imgur.com/a/ZEk0e

Magnifying glass icon in the top right maximizes, 7 pages total.

This weeks' chapter is really good.

"lobdevil"

Spellcheck
Oct 23, 2008

by angerbot
oh i loving love the person who's writing/drawing this. he knows how to deliver what you want to see. :black101:

Spellcheck fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 20, 2012

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Hot drat. This chapter has got some awesome action going on.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yesss!!! this is want I want, and I want more!!

Also, I knew that sissy henchman couldn't have beaten Haku.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This series has just surpassed HxH as my favorite series, I think.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

:flashfap:Oh god yes:flashfap:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What a good chapter. From the way Viole(t) dealt with the worm guy thing controlling Yeon, he knew exactly what do to, which implies to me that he knows those two.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hietala posted:

:flashfap:Oh god yes:flashfap:

:flashfap: I will join you, this series always delivers.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Edge Zero posted:

This series has just surpassed HxH as my favorite series, I think.

I think it's coming close to the mark but I haven't ye found a really good villain in ToG akin to either Hisoka or Kuroro. There was Lo Po Bia Ren but he got summarily smashed into the ground.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Furious Lobster posted:

I think it's coming close to the mark but I haven't ye found a really good villain in ToG akin to either Hisoka or Kuroro. There was Lo Po Bia Ren but he got summarily smashed into the ground.

One of his bodies at least, he could still show up again.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hietala posted:

One of his bodies at least, he could still show up again.

He's pretty close to being a Hisoka clone anyway, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Furious Lobster posted:

Id' argue that Rachel fills that role and while not physically intimidating is a masterful manipulator. Frankly I'm looking forward to Baam smashing people Rachel throws in front of him for little while.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think Rachel was a master manipulator. I think she was basically a normal person who ended up in a pivotal role by accident. She got special treatment including her hand-picked super team only because the administrators wanted to use her as a weapon against an irregular.

Rachel was fond of Baam, but not to the degree Baam was obsessed with her. Once her legs got messed up, her only hope of climbing the tower was to take the deal to kill Baam. Ultimately, she valued her dream more than she did Baam. Also, she was too afraid to accept Baam's offer to accompany him up the tower because of how many enemies he had just by existing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
There wasn't a villain for part 1 because it wasn't about triumphing over a person, it was about Baam climbing the tower. Wangnan doesn't have an established Big Bad yet because he has that same goal. Viole might, but he's deliberately being left as a cipher. If Zahard personally came down to kill his puppy, we're not going to know for a while yet.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think Rachel was a master manipulator. I think she was basically a normal person who ended up in a pivotal role by accident. She got special treatment including her hand-picked super team only because the administrators wanted to use her as a weapon against an irregular.

Rachel was fond of Baam, but not to the degree Baam was obsessed with her. Once her legs got messed up, her only hope of climbing the tower was to take the deal to kill Baam. Ultimately, she valued her dream more than she did Baam. Also, she was too afraid to accept Baam's offer to accompany him up the tower because of how many enemies he had just by existing.

A few corrections:

One, Rachel's legs work perfectly fine. She was faking the injury to garner sympathy. It also helped her take Baam off-guard; you'll see that she's standing when she shoves him off. It's foreshadowed at a few points before that, too.

Two, Baam is not being treated as an enemy. Considering events with Headon and the Guide he was given immediately after Rachel's betrayal, this was just a way to get him where they wanted him going. That's up, not out. If they wanted him dead, Hwa Ryun would have killed him when he was helpless and injured and alone.

Three, she didn't do it because she was afraid. She was told that doing that to Baam was the price of her climbing the Tower, and she decided to pay it. That's it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

What a good chapter. From the way Viole(t) dealt with the worm guy thing controlling Yeon, he knew exactly what do to, which implies to me that he knows those two.

It seems like the control wasn't total, as he managed to piss her off to get her to try and yell at him. This chapter has some solid images all around, but I think it's made me an even bigger fan of Teddy. The guy has a pretty fierce expression here, not to mention the reveal of him as the true devil-arm.

Also to nitpick, the scanlator comments added in are annoying. "Kinky" etc. I appreciate the work they put in but toning down the commentary within the strip itself would be nice.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The master manipulator is definitely Headon.

Spellcheck
Oct 23, 2008

by angerbot
I'm hoping that I'm not only one who currently thinking that Teddy is the REAL man with the devil right arm that beat Hatsu. I'm Getting that kinda feeling from the translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/108937/tower-of-god_v2_ch20_by_the-company

Proper scan, though really the only difference is the better names and the much worse translation notes.