Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sometimes I wish it was the old system when only important/introductory parts of a character's dialogue was voiced. I can often read the entire line by the time they get to their second word. Some like Ulysses or Joshua Graham however do get to voice their entire lines :allears:

Speaking of which, whoever did the environment design of the divide utterly nailed it and I really enjoyed the parts where you would not only be moving along a flat plane but also up and down. Really added extra texture to the area compared to all other zones in the Mojave.

Actually one thing I missed from FO3 was that the City Ruins provided a good "war area" that you could go to to just shoot the gently caress out of some things. In NV this was rather lacking as once you cleared out Legion camps, they would usually stay cleared including the main camp with Caesar. I just want to go shoot some assholes! :(

Continuing weaponschat: holy crap the minigun is actually GOOD this time around compared to the big steaming pile of poo poo it was in FO3. The thing will rip down 3 adult death-claws charging at you before they get into clawing distance no problem.

Edit: Hey I never bought this avatar, thanks raptorfag! :v:

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.
Yeah, I'm disturbed as gently caress by your MLP bondage avatar, but man now I want to installed F:NV again, and Lonesome Road. :( Just great times.

And the minigun. Pure gold, one of my favorite weapons even knowing how overpowered even a simple plasma rifle can get.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I played though FO2 recently and fell in love with the Bozar. I think Horrigan was the only character that didn't die to a single Bozar burst, after I got the Sniper perk. Looking forward to recreate that in my current New Vegas playthrough, but I'm not yet rich enough to buy Bozar from the Gun Runners.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

For my new game I decided to do OWB right at level 1 and now I'm comfortably overpowered for the rest of the game, god the LAER is a joke.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

massive spider posted:

For my new game I decided to do OWB right at level 1 and now I'm comfortably overpowered for the rest of the game, god the LAER is a joke.

Does poo poo fall down pretty easily at that level?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Question about Dead Money ending: so how do I lock Elijah in the vault? Is he supposed to actually go inside? I managed to sneak out of the room and walk all the way to the area behind the forcefield before the collar even starts beeping, but there's an invisible wall at the last door blocking me from the elevator.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Does poo poo fall down pretty easily at that level?

Its not easy, but I found it less annoying than the bullet sponges they become at high level. A couple times I just had to run but doing quests gives so much XP I jumped like 12 levels by the end. I couldn't pass most of the dialog checks though so I missed out on a lot.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Xerxes17 posted:

Actually one thing I missed from FO3 was that the City Ruins provided a good "war area" that you could go to to just shoot the gently caress out of some things. In NV this was rather lacking as once you cleared out Legion camps, they would usually stay cleared including the main camp with Caesar. I just want to go shoot some assholes! :(

This is what mods are for. Install IWS (increased wasteland spawns) and the enemy AI patch and it'll be just like you want it to be. Sure, if you clear actual towns and scripted groups they stay dead, but this combo will give you folks to shoot whenever and there's actual logic behind what is spawned where.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Maybe after DAII, but didn't ME2 sell wildly better than ME1?

All the news stories I read after ME2 came out described its sales in various shades of disappointment. Whether that was in relation to delusional EA projections or to the first one's success I have no idea.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

trevalyan posted:

Not to mention that the RPG immersion of Fallout 3/ Skyrim are vastly different compared to ME and DA. A voiced protagonist would only be a distraction and added expense to people who just enjoy killing things.

The pieces was in there though. Hearing Yuri Lowenthal or Laura Bailey as the courier speak will be quite fun in New Vegas.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

grate deceiver posted:

Question about Dead Money ending: so how do I lock Elijah in the vault? Is he supposed to actually go inside? I managed to sneak out of the room and walk all the way to the area behind the forcefield before the collar even starts beeping, but there's an invisible wall at the last door blocking me from the elevator.
Don't go to the elevator, use the same door that you came in from.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 23, 2012

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Smol posted:

Don't go to the elevator, use the same door that you came in from.

Not sure what you are talking about, since there's only one exit from that area anyway. I'll just add that when I kill Elijah, I can pass just fine. If I sneak out, he triggers the alarm eventually, the objectives are marked as completed, but there's an invisible wall standing at the last door, preventing me from reaching the elevator.

edit: nevermind, I tried again and got through. No idea what that was about.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 23, 2012

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

grate deceiver posted:

Not sure what you are talking about, since there's only one exit from that area anyway. I'll just add that when I kill Elijah, I can pass just fine. If I sneak out, he triggers the alarm eventually, the objectives are marked as completed, but there's an invisible wall standing at the last door, preventing me from reaching the elevator.

edit: nevermind, I tried again and got through. No idea what that was about.

Happened to me too, I had to run through three or four times before it finally let me out. Really frustrating.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp, I beat the game. Had speech 100 and could've told the legate to back down, but what fun is that? I killed that motherfucker and everyone at the camp.

Ending was very underwhelming compared to FO3's gundam stomping on Enclave troops, I have to say. But FO3 sucked for a ton of reasons that largely don't exist in Vegas.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ending was very underwhelming compared to FO3's gundam stomping on Enclave troops

That was pretty poo poo as the player character had no agency at all

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was pretty poo poo as the player character had no agency at all

No, it's pretty fun and cool. Exactly once. After that it's dull and unlike the FO:NV climax, completely static - it never changes, not least because you can't pick sides.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The giant robot pales in comparison to turning legion into hamburger by turning on the dam turbines, the Boomers in their B-29 bombing people left and right, and fighting alongside factions that are there because of your actions as a player.

Old Thrashbarg
Dec 18, 2003
I finished New Vegas recently for the second time, this time with all of the DLC. It's way better the second time around, and is now squarely in the ranks of my favourite RPGs of the last few years.

That said, I wish the game could have taken a lesson from Dragon Age 2, of all games. Specifically, it would've been cool if the game could have been divided into time intervals with a few years between each. It would've been fascinating to see the player's decisions have consequences in the long-term.

Anyways, in the spirit of arguing for the "greyness" of each faction, here's a tirade against one that's generally considered spotless: the Followers of the Apocalypse. Are they the most irresponsible and dangerous faction in New Vegas? They spread medicine and tech heedlessly, even to those who will use it for bad ends, or potentially use it for bad ends (like the Great Khans). They espouse pacifism, weakening defenses against other more vicious factions. They maintain their pristine image while letting the burden of actually governing fall on the NCR. They spawned Caesar.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Old Thrashbarg posted:

Anyways, in the spirit of arguing for the "greyness" of each faction, here's a tirade against one that's generally considered spotless: the Followers of the Apocalypse. Are they the most irresponsible and dangerous faction in New Vegas? They spread medicine and tech heedlessly, even to those who will use it for bad ends, or potentially use it for bad ends (like the Great Khans). They espouse pacifism, weakening defenses against other more vicious factions. They maintain their pristine image while letting the burden of actually governing fall on the NCR. They spawned Caesar.

Certainly not, but I do like how we get to see firsthand, via Arcade, that the Followers just aren't hot poo poo. Most of the criticism of FOA is that "yeah, but they're just not big and influential enough to really make a difference!" If it was that way, the whole faction would seem like a really preachy dev team self-insert about how they would actually try to help people and be holy and angelic. :smug:

But it's not. Arcade lets us know the Followers have no plan and he's been sitting around in a tent fiddling with agave accomplishing jack all. In a world with stimpaks, radaway, and Auto Docs, why do we need the Followers again? The game lets us know there's just not much for them to do.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bilal posted:

But it's not. Arcade lets us know the Followers have no plan and he's been sitting around in a tent fiddling with agave accomplishing jack all. In a world with stimpaks, radaway, and Auto Docs, why do we need the Followers again? The game lets us know there's just not much for them to do.

Jesus, where did you get this impression? Freeside and most of the rest of outer Vegas are totally dependent on the Followers Agricultural and medical expertise as well as their charitable nature to not collapse into a pile of jet addicted whores. I can't imagine that New Vegas is alone in that regard, there are tons of lousy unstable shitholes that'd be dependent on a group like the followers in the fallout universe.
Their problem is that they simply do not have the resources to meet every (or even most) of the problems presented. Arcade mentions that the only reason hes trying to create bathtub stimpacks and the like is because they are running out of pre-war medical supplies to raid.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The Followers are essentially a University in the NCR and Doctors Without Borders in the Mojave. They aim to make people self-sufficient, and in the process they hope that some of their philosophy rubs off on the population when or if they manage to govern themselves. That certainly beats the forced assimilation that the NCR, Legion, or even House sometimes employs.

They are the closest thing to being objectively good in this game of moral gray areas, but they still fit in just fine because their noble idealism is so often crushed under the heel of powerful forces that are considering more convenient or pragmatic options.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
They're a bit more than an NGO though, in that they do sometimes resort to subterfuge. Ignacio Rivas, the Follower at Helios One, is intentionally witholding the information he has on the facility from the NCR authorities, despite being granted access for the sole purpose of sharing such knowledge. He also asks the Courier to thwart the NCR's own goals for the plant.

Of course, the player is probably going to sympathise with him since the Followers are by and large a rather saintly bunch, and knows of the level of corruption of which the NCR can be capable. Still, it's not hard to see why some within the NCR, particularly several OSI scientists, regard the Followers as insidious seditionists.

Infanticide posted:

They aim to make people self-sufficient ...

I like this part, not only because it's true, but it's also exactly what Caesar first does after becoming a hostage of the Blackfoot tribe. He looks at the tribe's primitive practises and decides that he can improve them through the sharing of pre-war knowledge. And he uses pre-war literature to provide a philosophy that they can use to provide a direction for future progress.

Of course, this knowledge does include how best to stack the bodies of your enemies for means of intimidation, and the philosophy Caesar brings is more nationalist, imperialist and totalitarian than pacifist. But his early methodology is very much in the Follower tradition.

Veeta fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 23, 2012

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Jesus, where did you get this impression? Freeside and most of the rest of outer Vegas are totally dependent on the Followers Agricultural and medical expertise as well as their charitable nature to not collapse into a pile of jet addicted whores. I can't imagine that New Vegas is alone in that regard, there are tons of lousy unstable shitholes that'd be dependent on a group like the followers in the fallout universe.
Their problem is that they simply do not have the resources to meet every (or even most) of the problems presented. Arcade mentions that the only reason hes trying to create bathtub stimpacks and the like is because they are running out of pre-war medical supplies to raid.

How about healing poultice? Granted the big problem is Caesar has tight control over the Cave Fungus which keeps proper medicine from being made. All Arcade needs to do is successfully clone cave fungus samples and set up several mushroom grow ops and they should have reliable medicine beyond stims.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This thread always makes me feel like I'm the only guy in the world that thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Douche Bag posted:

This thread always makes me feel like I'm the only guy in the world that thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3.

I had no expectations for it and loved it, although the walking got annoying.

Just finished it, with first ending NCR friendly with loads of allies, and the second allowing my robot army to sweep out everyone. Is it not possible to use robots and keep the NCR around?

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Douche Bag posted:

People use hyperbole a lot, but I think most people enjoyed Fallout 3 at the time and then liked Fallout New Vegas even more.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Infanticide posted:

People use hyperbole a lot, but I think most people enjoyed Fallout 3 at the time and then liked Fallout New Vegas even more.

I enjoyed fo3 a lot but New Vegas is just so much better in a lot of ways.

The thing that really irked me about Fo3 though is that once the Enclave is introduced regular guns are obsolete and plasma rifles just obliterate all enemies with ease.

Liam neeson is more of an interesting reason to progress than all these factions telling you what to do though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Douche Bag posted:

I tried downloading and playing it the other day.

Every time a new area would load up the game would just freeze.

I sorta gave up after that.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Bobnumerotres posted:

Liam neeson is more of an interesting reason to progress than all these factions telling you what to do though.

Maybe for some people, but what if you don't give a gently caress about your Fallout Dad? Then you have zero reason to progress.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rape Jake. posted:

Maybe for some people, but what if you don't give a gently caress about your Fallout Dad? Then you have zero reason to progress.

Every time I try to do an evil run in FO3 I end up bowing to Liam. I mean. How can you not forgive him? That voice. I get a boner every time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Followers aren't pacifists at all- they employ a lot of mercenaries and guards.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really disagree. I'm interested in the factions, the large-scale conflict in the Mojave, the different philosophies and the struggle for power. By comparison, Vault Dad is pretty drat dull.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Rape Jake. posted:

On that note, it was really difficult for me to give a gently caress about what happens to New Vegas. I see countless posts in this thread about the writing and this unbelievably interesting plot. I just found it to be extremely dull and cliche. It took me until about a month ago to finally take two hours to beat the game. I put around 80 hours into it within a few months of release, but once I explored everything I just stopped caring. The DLC was disappointing in that regard aside from Honest Hearts. I wish I could've seen the same improvement from 3 to NV that you guys have, but outside of the news guns there just isn't anything there for me.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

astrollinthepork posted:

On that note, it was really difficult for me to give a gently caress about what happens to New Vegas. I see countless posts in this thread about the writing and this unbelievably interesting plot. I just found it to be extremely dull and cliche. It took me until about a month ago to finally take two hours to beat the game. I put around 80 hours into it within a few months of release, but once I explored everything I just stopped caring. The DLC was disappointing in that regard aside from Honest Hearts. I wish I could've seen the same improvement from 3 to NV that you guys have, but outside of the news guns there just isn't anything there for me.

The plot and the writing being good to me has never been about the plot-points that lead to the "game over," but rather that they have created a believable and interesting world for me to dream up characters to gently caress around in. It's about the journey, not the destination. And most of the fun I've derived from any fallout game has been from creating a unique character and seeing how they impact this world that has been laid out for them to interact with.

Fallout 3, for me, was disappointing because I couldn't will myself to play a second play-through. I've played four New Vegas characters and couldn't begin to guess how many Fallout 1 and 2 characters I've started (many of which never completed the game) because there was incentive for me in those games to create a "different person" as I was assured their experience would feel different. For some reason, Fallout 3 just didn't provide that incentive for me.

I mean, I know Fallout 2 inside and out to the point where I wish I could just "forget" the game to experience it anew so that it would be more enjoyable-- but I still get the itch to play it every once in a while. You'd think it would feel pretty stale by now. Fallout 3 didn't give me that itch once-- there's something about it that just feels empty.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

astrollinthepork posted:

Trolling is bannable, dude.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Douche Bag posted:

Oh I enjoyed it immensely. Then I hit the ending. :negative:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

astrollinthepork posted:

Uh, care to give us any particular reason you think like this, or should your fascinating opinion speak for itself?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

astrollinthepork posted:

If you honestly and truly cannot see a MASSIVE upgrade in quality from the fallout mad libs/fan fiction of FO3 to a Genuine Sequel in NV, then I just don't know what to say. :eng99:

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Infanticide posted:

Uhh I'm not sure if you realized it when you posted this but, no, things can only be great or terrible, there's no such thing as 'getting some things right' or 'good but flawed.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008

FauxGateau posted:

So uhh... my bad? Can we be friends again?

I really wasn't trying to be a dick, I just thought you were a newer entrant to the thread that didn't know who ropekid was. It's fascinating to me how active this is so far after release.