Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Man I want to start listening to prog rock (after seeing that episode of The Venture Bros) so I got a hold of some Crimson King.

Any suggestions for which album I should start with?

Well, if you haven't already done so, you might as well start with what Dean heard!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Man I want to start listening to prog rock (after seeing that episode of The Venture Bros) so I got a hold of some Crimson King.

Any suggestions for which album I should start with? Honestly I like the sound of the music but I'm having a hard time hearing the lyrics. Although that's always been an issue with me and music.

Edit: Would Protomen be considered prog?

Which album did you start with? IMO In the Court... and Red are the two to start with. They've definitely been...uneven, but those two are pretty much inscrutable.

As far as prog for newcomers goes, I always recommend the good Yes albums (The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge), as they're so much fun and have so many good riffs that you don't even have to concentrate on the "mystical" edge of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Any suggestions for which album I should start with? Honestly I like the sound of the music but I'm having a hard time hearing the lyrics. Although that's always been an issue with me and music.

I tried to not be that guy but somebody should probably point out that the band's name is King Crimson.

If you like what you hear and you're looking for somewhere to go from King Crimson, listen to Anekdoten and Gösta Berlings Saga. (Sweden is a goldmine of amazing prog nowadays.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I started listening to King Crimson with In the Court and Red, and while I wouldn't consider either among my absolute favorite King Crimson albums years later, they're both excellent entry points and both representative of what are really two completely different bands with the only common element being Robert Fripp. If you really like In the Court, be sure to listen to In the Wake of Poseidon, which I think is a bit better and more cohesive album overall. And Larks' Tongues in Aspic (first album with the same core lineup as Red) is totally loving brilliant, but it's not something that really resonated with me on the first listen.

As far as Yes goes, I think The Yes Album is consistently one of their best, as well as one of their most accessible, and an ideal place to start. Fragile's a bit more experimental but also a bit uneven, and Close to the Edge (my first Yes album) I don't think is the best entry point—the title track is absolutely one of the best things they've ever done, but I've never really been a fan of side 2. My personal top three Yes albums are Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer, and Going for the One, but I don't think any of those aside from maybe Going for the One are good entry points.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Thirding the Yes suggestions. Also, Genesis's "Nursery Cryme" is the album that convinced me to start exploring prog, though I would equally recommend any of their albums between there and "The Lamb", but certainly give a tune called "The Musical Box" a listen. It has it all: an out-there story, flutes, long solos, style changes, and a very bombastic ending. For some slightly less standard recommendations, check out Triumvirat. They strike me as a more-refined but less experimental Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I can vouch that "Spartacus" and "Old Loves Die Hard" are both fun listens if you're into keyboard-shredding and happy-sounding synths. As someone mentioned early in this thread, Spock's Beard had a pretty good run around the turn of the century when Neal Morse was still with them. I think "The Kindness of Strangers" would be a good listen, especially since you complained a bit about vocal volume with King Crimson. They combine prog song-structure with more poppy/commercial lyrics and vocal style. Oh, and since you mentioned you liked Act I over in the Protomen thread, you might check out a really old Genesis jam called "The Knife". It has a similar unrefined but fierce feeling.

As for The Protomen's "classification", they do have a couple of common prog characteristics: concept albums (hell, a concept discography), a love of synths, orchestration in some tunes, and on-stage theatrics. I was on quite a prog kick around the time I found out about them, and based the tastes of some other fans of the group that I know, there seems to be a fair bit of overlap between the two fanbases. That said, I tend to describe their style as arena rock. More fist-pumping than head-bobbing goes on at their shows, basically :)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Trespass is a severely underrated album. I mean, every Genesis fan loves The Knife, but I also consider Stagnation one of the best songs they ever did, and Peter Gabriel's vocals on Looking for Something are just disgustingly good. I suspect he was born with the voice of a world-weary old man.

Edit: Seriously, here's a 17-year old Peter Gabriel sounding the same as he always has on an early Genesis demo. It's kind of spooky, really.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 16, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'd like to suggest Hemispheres by Rush, Signify by Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (disc 2's suite) & A Change of Seasons.

I think Signify is the perfect blend of chill space/psychedelic rock and prog rock and has some pretty accessible stuff on it, like Waiting and Sleep of No Dreaming plus the unique stuff like Every Home is Wired and Dark Matter.

A Change of Seasons is pretty much where I got started on prog, and is easily one of their easiest to listen to all the way through (which is pretty good considering it's one of DT's longest songs). Six Degrees has some serious variety in it and again, is really easy to listen to all the way through.

Hemispheres is a classic, and songs like La Villa Strangiato are what cement Rush's place as legends as far as I'm concerned.

e: added some links

\/\/\/ I've always considered it a bit less proggy than their later work (except for the title track). SW has said he regrets it because of it's Floydian vibe but I do love it (especially Stars Die and Moonloop)

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 15, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'd toss Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways in that list if we're going the Steven Wilson route. People accuse it of aping Animals a bit too much, but I still think it's their strongest album.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

david puddy posted:

Hemispheres is a classic, and songs like La Villa Strangiato are what cement Rush's place as legends as far as I'm concerned.

I totally agree—La Villa Strangiato is the specific track that got me interested in Rush, even. I'd maybe get A Farewell to Kings first, though, as I think it's just as great, and the two are bridged by Cygnus X-1 Book I and II. I practically consider A Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres a double album.

Misogynist posted:

I'd toss Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways in that list if we're going the Steven Wilson route. People accuse it of aping Animals a bit too much, but I still think it's their strongest album.

I realize I'm critical of Porcupine Tree to perhaps an obnoxious extent, but I have to say I absolutely hate The Sky Moves Sideways, if not for being extremely derivative of Pink Floyd then just for being boring as hell. It was the first thing by Porcupine Tree I heard and it made me avoid the band for years—which was really a shame, as I love Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, and some of their other material. For me, Porcupine Tree are at their best when they're straddling the line between progressive rock and pop/alt. rock/metal.

On an unrelated note, Magma's new album Felicite Thosz is already out in France, and will be everywhere else on June 25th—it totally snuck up on me. I haven't heard it yet, but will post impressions when I do.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 16, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The problem I have with Porcupine Tree is that every album after Signify has a bunch of songs on it that I absolutely can't stand and skip every time. That doesn't make the albums unsalvageable by any stretch, but it always takes me out of the moment when I remember how much I hate whatever's going on in "Drawing the Line" or "Don't Hate Me" or "Four Chords That Made a Million."

Then again, I got into King Crimson through their chillout songs like "In the Court of the Crimson King," "In the Wake of Poseidon," "Epitaph," and "Starless." I guess it's kind of predictable that I'd like The Sky Moves Sideways an awful lot. :)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 16, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
poo poo, Four Chords That Made a Million was on Lightbulb Sun, wasn't it? Oh well, at least it's under four minutes long.

It's not because The Sky Moves Sideways is chill that I dislike it, it's just that I find it incredibly uninteresting and tedious for what it is. I mean, I've listened to it several times and find it difficult to remember any of it aside from the chorus to Stars Die, which isn't even on the original version of the album anyway.

Also, that's a strange selection of King Crimson songs to call chillout music. I'd understand labeling Book of Saturday, Trio, or like half of Islands that, but Starless? One of the most climactic songs in all of progressive rock?

Edit: That's as good an excuse as any to repost my favorite performance of Starless. The best bit is of course Fripp at the end hitting maybe the most powerful single sustained note I've ever heard, but I always crack up at the ecstatic audience member who yells out "THEY'RE PLAYING STARLESS! ALRIIIIIGHT!"

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 16, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

poo poo, Four Chords That Made a Million was on Lightbulb Sun, wasn't it? Oh well, at least it's under four minutes long.

It's not because The Sky Moves Sideways is chill that I dislike it, it's just that I find it incredibly uninteresting and tedious for what it is. I mean, I've listened to it several times and find it difficult to remember any of it aside from the chorus to Stars Die, which isn't even on the original version of the album anyway.

It was on the original US release :eng101:

But I am in the same boat with every album at least having a song I usually skip (Don't Hate Me, Tinto Brass, Four Chords, Creator Had A Mastertape, etc.) but I regularly listen to all of their albums in full because I find those songs don't neutralise or worsen the album enough for me to dismiss any of it. I can forgive SW for Drawing The Line because it leads into Kneel and Disconnect, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Rollersnake posted:

I'd maybe get A Farewell to Kings first

Actually I totally agree with this, I've really only started listening to AFTK recently (I don't know why I was neglecting it) and it really is fantastic the whole way through.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
If Rush then Moving Pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Pictures_%28album%29

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

david puddy posted:

But I am in the same boat with every album at least having a song I usually skip (Don't Hate Me, Tinto Brass, Four Chords, Creator Had A Mastertape, etc.) but I regularly listen to all of their albums in full because I find those songs don't neutralise or worsen the album enough for me to dismiss any of it. I can forgive SW for Drawing The Line because it leads into Kneel and Disconnect, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Drawing the Line is an absolutely amazing song besides the chorus! :argh:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I totally agree but the chorus sounds so out of place it completely ruins it every time, haha. If any of you have the gear, The Incident in 5.1 is phenomenal (especially the sub-track The Incident)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

david puddy posted:

I totally agree but the chorus sounds so out of place it completely ruins it every time, haha. If any of you have the gear, The Incident in 5.1 is phenomenal (especially the sub-track The Incident)

Yup, the chorus sounds like it was ripped from a The Killers song or something. It's a really good live song though.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
No mentions of

?

Shame.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
For whatever reason, I've never been a fan of 2112. Even when I was a teenage Randroid I thought most of the title song was laughable, and I still don't think any of it is truly classic Rush except for Temples of Syrinx and maybe A Passage to Bangkok.

It was the first Rush album (and one of the first prog rock albums) I bought because it was the only one I knew of at the time, and I didn't know La Villa Strangiato was that Rush track I'd heard that I really liked, or what album it was on.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 18, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
2112 is easily my favorite Rush song. The title track is awesome in a cheesy sci-fi way, which Rush excels at. Even the shorter tracks on the album, especially Tears, are really good. It's a pretty good intro to dorkier side of prog as well.

AFTK/Hemispheres together loving own more than anything as far as Rush is concerned, though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

glompix posted:

AFTK/Hemispheres together loving own more than anything as far as Rush is concerned, though.

Agreed. Hemispheres especially, since it's just 4 awesome songs, with no filler. The only other album Rush made that could say that is Moving Pictures (also loving awesome).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I didn't mention 2112 because I prefer Hemispheres as a whole. I love the song 2112 (especially Presentation) but the only song I like off side 2 is A Passage To Bangkok, and that isn't half as good as like, The Trees or Circumstances I think.

\/\/\/ I gave it a shot and while I didn't think it was bad, I don't think it's that great. I really like Caravan but from there it just kind of all sounds the same. I probably just need to give it more of a chance but it didn't do it for me on first listen.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 19, 2012

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So, anyone else give Clockwork Angels a listen?
I was expecting the whole steampunk concept album to be hilariously cheesy, and maybe awesome. But it turned out way better than I was expecting, with only a handful of the songs having any heavy steampunk references in the lyrics. It's probably the only Rush album that's come out since I've been alive that I really enjoy (all the way through, that is). I'd compare it to the effect Iron Maiden's Brave New World album had.

e: Then again, there's a few albums between Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels that I've never really given a hard listen. Twenty albums is alot, even for a devoted fan.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 19, 2012

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Schizotek posted:

I was expecting the whole steampunk concept album to be hilariously cheesy, and maybe awesome. But it turned out way better than I was expecting, with only a handful of the songs having any heavy steampunk references in the lyrics. It's probably the only Rush album that's come out since I've been alive that I really enjoy (all the way through, that is). I'd compare it to the effect Iron Maiden's Brave New World album had.

e: Then again, there's a few albums between Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels that I've never really given a hard listen. Twenty albums is alot, even for a devoted fan.

All of Rush's best albums are between Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm not the biggest Rush fan, but I just found Moving Pictures, Power Windows, and Grace Under Pressure (along with Yes's Fragile which I pirated like 15 years ago) for $5 apiece in Best Buy's discount rack so :shobon:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Is there no appreciation for The Alan Parsons Project in this thread? Surely anyone who's interested in prog rock should give such songs and instrumental tracks as The Raven, Lucifer, The Turn Of A Friendly Card suite, Psychobabble, You Don't Believe, Where's The Walrus?, and La Sagrada Familia a try.

Also, I don't believe anyone's mentioned yet that the first album by Chris Squire and Steve Hackett as Squackett was released a few weeks ago. It's called A Life Within A Day, and it's pretty good! Here's the title song.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Schizotek posted:

I'm letting Clockwork Angels digest a bit before I decide how much I like it. I like it a bit more each time I listen to it. There are some low points though that I'm disappointed with - like "The Garden". "Carnies" has an amazing opening riff that should have been focused on more. And I don't know why they even bothered to include "BU2B2"...As of right now, I don't think it's as good as Snakes And Arrows, or even Vapor Trails. But maybe in a few weeks Clockwork Angels will have endeared itself to me...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Prog Doctor posted:

I'm letting Clockwork Angels digest a bit before I decide how much I like it. I like it a bit more each time I listen to it. There are some low points though that I'm disappointed with - like "The Garden". "Carnies" has an amazing opening riff that should have been focused on more. And I don't know why they even bothered to include "BU2B2"...As of right now, I don't think it's as good as Snakes And Arrows, or even Vapor Trails. But maybe in a few weeks Clockwork Angels will have endeared itself to me...

I don't think it's as good as Vapor Trails, either, but it's definitely better than Snakes and Arrows. It's a grower, though. There are a couple of crappy songs, most egregiously The Wreckers which sounds like a song that got left off of My Favorite Headache, but Lifeson just rules the whole way through. Great effort by him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Is there no appreciation for The Alan Parsons Project in this thread? Surely anyone who's interested in prog rock should give such songs and instrumental tracks as The Raven, Lucifer, The Turn Of A Friendly Card suite, Psychobabble, You Don't Believe, Where's The Walrus?, and La Sagrada Familia a try.

I was obsessed with La Sagrada Familia (and that whole Gaudi album) when I was about 12 years old, having been turned on to it by a German friend. Haven't listened to it since then and I'm a little afraid to.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

BigFactory posted:

I don't think it's as good as Vapor Trails, either, but it's definitely better than Snakes and Arrows. It's a grower, though. There are a couple of crappy songs, most egregiously The Wreckers which sounds like a song that got left off of My Favorite Headache, but Lifeson just rules the whole way through. Great effort by him.

Maybe I just thought the last few albums were terrible, but Clockwork Angels seems better than anything they've done in at least twenty years (again, not a big feat when you look at it).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Punch Card posted:

Maybe I just thought the last few albums were terrible, but Clockwork Angels seems better than anything they've done in at least twenty years (again, not a big feat when you look at it).

Better than Counterparts? I can see people not digging T4E or Vapor Trails (personally love both of them), and I think Snakes and Arrows was a let down, but CP is just a better record.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sorry to break from the Rush discussion, but my boss just joined these guys as their bassist for Farfest 2012 and holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMqsM4Fzl0

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Huh, weird to see so much disdain for Snakes & Arrows. I thought it was easily their best effort since Counterparts or Bones, and certainly the most consistent. Still haven't heard Angels, but I'm saving up for a car, so extraneous purchases lead to weird guilt problems. Whatevs, this isn't e/n, more talk about prog. Totally dig that Squackett tune from a few posts up.

Also, that's...uh, not what I generally think of when I hear the name Cathedral. Had no idea there was another group with that name.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sombrerotron posted:

Is there no appreciation for The Alan Parsons Project in this thread?

I still loving love I Robot but honestly I never really even tried listening to anything else. I can't even say why, maybe I just thought it'd be incredibly cheesy? I guess now's my chance to see if I was right or wrong.

e: whoop, does the Ladyhawke soundtrack count? that's deliciously 80s

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Yodzilla posted:

I still loving love I Robot but honestly I never really even tried listening to anything else. I can't even say why, maybe I just thought it'd be incredibly cheesy? I guess now's my chance to see if I was right or wrong.
APP's style is pretty consistent, so if you weren't offended by I Robot, I doubt you'd be offended by any other of their albums. At the very least, give the terrific Tales of Mystery and Imagination a try.

Parapsyche
Sep 25, 2007
Clockwork Angels definitely didn't stick out at me too much at first, but after listening to it multiple times I'm liking it a lot more and it feels very cohesive as a whole. Definitely not my favourite Rush album (that would have to go to A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, or Moving Pictures...give me a break, it's like picking a favourite child), but it's climbing up my personal Rush chart for sure!

Also, for that dude who wanted to get started on some prog rock...if you want some cool instrumental stuff, be sure to check out the Ozric Tentacles. Great music to just listen to and zone out to, and generally very enjoyable. Also, if you can track down an album called Black Noise by a band called FM, give that a listen as well. It's a wicked album and I listen to it very frequently. Finally, Fragile by Yes is a solid album, if not a little bit strange and disjointed at first...but you can hear some awesome use of the bass and keys on it if that's your kind of thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Parapsyche posted:

Also, for that dude who wanted to get started on some prog rock...if you want some cool instrumental stuff, be sure to check out the Ozric Tentacles. Great music to just listen to and zone out to, and generally very enjoyable. Also, if you can track down an album called Black Noise by a band called FM, give that a listen as well. It's a wicked album and I listen to it very frequently. Finally, Fragile by Yes is a solid album, if not a little bit strange and disjointed at first...but you can hear some awesome use of the bass and keys on it if that's your kind of thing.
I think even prog nerds tend to listen to Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, and Heart of the Sunrise and skip at least half of the tracks in between

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Misogynist posted:

I think even prog nerds tend to listen to Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, and Heart of the Sunrise and skip at least half of the tracks in between

Don't skip Long Distance Runaround. :smith:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Parapsyche posted:

Clockwork Angels definitely didn't stick out at me too much at first, but after listening to it multiple times I'm liking it a lot more and it feels very cohesive as a whole. Definitely not my favourite Rush album (that would have to go to A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, or Moving Pictures...give me a break, it's like picking a favourite child), but it's climbing up my personal Rush chart for sure!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Prog Goonies, on PT Vinyl albums, which do you think is the best to get (in vinyl)? Im thinking about Stupid Dream or The Sky Moves Sideways

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Given the fact that Stupid Dream sells for over $250 pretty much any time someone decides to sell one, The Sky Moves Sideways. You can get it from burning shed for like $20.