Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PublicOpinion posted:

Combine them. A character's One Unique Thing is that they rip bits off of giant monsters and attach them to their living armor.

Hmm, wonder how you would support this mechanically without it spiraling out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tollymain posted:

Hmm, wonder how you would support this mechanically without it spiraling out of control.

Incremental bonuses. Parts come from a big bad in each session.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That's what your magic items are. Other players get less... sticky items.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

PublicOpinion posted:

Combine them. A character's One Unique Thing is that they rip bits off of giant monsters and attach them to their living armor.

This is the greatest idea.

I hadn't heard of Last Stand but I signed up for the kickstarter. I'm guessing there will be mechanics that could be mixed into a 13th game for a truly amazing boss fight, like the battlefield as the enemy thing.

also, Monster Hunter as RPG didn't sell me as much as the idea of Shadow of the Colossus did.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Why has no one started freaking out that Greg Stolze is going to write stuff for the 13th Age Facebook game? Because I hate Facebook games but I'm super excited to see what he'll do in the setting.

Liet
Oct 7, 2003

Elfgames posted:

Hah screw 13th age, last stand is where it's at.

I'll be funding that once I cash my paycheck today :cool:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

rantmo posted:

Why has no one started freaking out that Greg Stolze is going to write stuff for the 13th Age Facebook game? Because I hate Facebook games but I'm super excited to see what he'll do in the setting.

Bro you just made my day :awesome:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just cared about a facebook game.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Stealing boss monsters' powers?
Last Stand sounds like Megaman: TTRPG

Fabiolean
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on a boat

P.d0t posted:

Stealing boss monsters' powers?
Last Stand sounds like Megaman: TTRPG

That's not an accident! We're all huge fans of Mega Man and Mega Man X, and I've been trying to recreate the Blue Bomber in nearly every table-top game we've played since we were schoolkids :)

Since the bio-armors were forged from the enemies of mankind, it also made a lot of sense to tie the advancement mechanic into taking MORE pieces from enemies.

Fabiolean fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 23, 2012

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You people leave the 13th Age thread alone, go talk in the Last Stand thread instead. You're going to make Wade cry.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
But will Last Stand feature a Chaos Shaman class Mikan, this is important.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Gomi posted:

But will Last Stand feature a Chaos Shaman class Mikan, this is important.
Oh, I've figured it out! It's cross-gaming instead of cross-class. The Ranger can take a spell from The Chaos Shaman from other games.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Fifth, our sweat equity model *seems* capable of pushing the Facebook game 13AFBG out into the world sometime later this year; partially because our programmers rock. Partially because Gregory Marques who handled Tiny Adventures once upon a time is now running it. Partially because great writers like Logan Bonner, Greg Stolze, and Tracy Hurley have signed on to help write the adventures. And partially because we will cunningly re-use as much of the art from 13th Age as possible to illustrate the online game.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I can't believe that I'm excited to play a Facebook game. What is wrong with me?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

I can't believe that I'm excited to play a Facebook game. What is wrong with me?

I guess it turns out you're a normal person.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Mikan posted:

You people leave the 13th Age thread alone, go talk in the Last Stand thread instead. You're going to make Wade cry.

Hey, it did remind me to kick in as a Last Stand backer.

rantmo posted:

There's so much stuff packed into Rob's open letter that it's ridiculous. "Here's a history of my new creator-driven company and how it works, and oh by the way, we're making a Facebook game with Greg Stolze, Logan Bonner, Tracey Hurley and the guy who did D&D Tiny Adventures, and me and Jonathan are probably doing a 13th Age Kickstarter. Heinsoo out."

Rob and Jonathan will both be on Evil Hat's That's How We Roll podcast on Monday talking about the topics Rob covered in the letter: http://thatshowweroll.libsyn.com/. I'm a big fan of THWR so I'm very happy about this.

In other news, we're still on track for delivering the Escalation Edition by the end of the month so you should be seeing it next week.

e: I really liked Tiny Adventures and was baffled when WotC pulled it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the FO dev team does with the as-yet-unnamed Facebook game. ("13th Age: Farm of the Lich King")

waderockett fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 24, 2012

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

waderockett posted:

and me and Jonathan are probably doing a 13th Age Kickstarter. Heinsoo out.

Why do you hate my wallet so

waderockett posted:

In other news, we're still on track for delivering the Escalation Edition by the end of the month so you should be seeing it next week.

On the other hand, happy to hear this and can't wait to finally get to read it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm pre-ordering on a paycheck when I'm not buying :siren: a wedding ring :siren:, will I still be able to get the early PDF if I place my order after it drops?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

moths posted:

I'm pre-ordering on a paycheck when I'm not buying :siren: a wedding ring :siren:, will I still be able to get the early PDF if I place my order after it drops?

Make the ring yourself. This is preordering we're talking about.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
It you don't preorder 3 times your monthly income it betrays a real lack of commitment.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I know we've all been just doing our playtest thing, but has anybody homeruled anything like grabbing into their game?

Let me be clear that the kind of grabbing I'm talking about is latching onto a 60 meter tall creature and climbing it strike weak points à la Shadow of the Colossus / Dragon's Dogma. I'm messing around with some stuff now but I'm having trouble creating something that is elegant like most things in the book.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The only thing I've felt a need to houserule is a way to revive downed companions outside of a cleric spell. Here's what I settled on:

Standard Action; DC 20 WIS check with appropriate background. If successful the target takes a +5 to their next death save. Results 20 and above count as if a natural 20 was rolled.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Oh wow, I had never even thought about downed companions outside of battle. I'll probably incorporate that too.

Really the only reason I'm looking to incorporate grabbing and climbing is because I'm trying to add some extra tactics to monster battles. After playing Dragon's Dogma I really liked the way monsters were handled and wanted to see if I could incorporate some of the tactics to fight them into tabletop rules. For example, having a couple of people grab onto the leg of a cyclops to set it off-balance and have it fall, allowing the party to strike its eye without having to climb it (also doing more damage). I figured I would give the monsters moves that would allow them to shake off attackers, or pick them up and throw them.

Along the same lines, I've been wondering about tweaking Called Shot (and just saying it's something everybody has from the start) so that players can target weak points (like a griffin's wing, eyes, things like that) and not only giving them the bonus they called, but giving them a bonus for hitting a weak spot.

The way I've designed it so far is that there are a series of books that players can buy on certain monsters. These books will usually come in a series and give the players certain advantages. For example (since I'm playing on Roll20), volume 1 of a book about goblins might allow the players to see all goblin health bars without having to roll any kind of insight or monster knowledge check. The second volume might list defense numbers to beat, resistances, and weaknesses.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 24, 2012

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

moths posted:

Absolutely. Also, congratulations!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Got to play again last night, everyone had a really good time. Playing at level 2, the rogue consistently did 50-120 damage every time she hit. Played a cleric, not a lot of enjoyment to be had during your turn as a cleric in this iteration of the class. Watching the rest of the party do crazy poo poo and pump out huge numbers because of me mostly makes up for it though. Excited to see what's in store for the updated version!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

-Fish- posted:

Got to play again last night, everyone had a really good time. Playing at level 2, the rogue consistently did 50-120 damage every time she hit.

This seems a little high. What was going on?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm mostly guessing here since I don't actually know the system, but just going off of notes from around the net, maybe it was expanded crit on bloody feature + disappear for double damage feature + extra sneak attack. He also said the Cleric was giving bonuses too, so I assume a Cleric spell or two was in the mix as well, increasing the damage some more.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
While I'm leaking money, when is the cutoff for the pre-order period?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I just hopped into a gaming group that's running this, and I'm overall a huge fan after my first game. My only complaint is I can't seem to find the role that my character, a sorcerer, plays. Since his damage dice on the whole only level up every other level, I think he's a bit underpowered at even levels. He also lacks the utility spells of a wizard, and just generally doesn't seem to be holding up in the party. Am I doing something wrong?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I've had a question gnawing away at me for some time. Let's say I'm having the campaign center around the PCs serving as members of a crew scouting out a new continent for colonizing, or something similar that has them far away from civilization. How would I go about incorporating the Icon system?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

I've had a question gnawing away at me for some time. Let's say I'm having the campaign center around the PCs serving as members of a crew scouting out a new continent for colonizing, or something similar that has them far away from civilization. How would I go about incorporating the Icon system?

I don't see why others wouldn't be trying to colonize, albeit in small groups as their icons want a cut of things as well. Also, new ships of men or supplies could come in, or if your personal icon is the Archmage just teleport poo poo at you from the sky. Hell, things like the Crusader could just have goals that match or work against yours indirectly, like unearthing a demon prison tomb.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Father Wendigo posted:

Have the crew instead be an entire fleet of ships, with Alpha Centauri-style strong personalities in charge of one or more? To steal even more blatantly, lift the "commander holding everyone together dies upon arrival" device from the game, and have the captains form factions with shifting alliances and vendettas.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Kevindanger posted:

I just hopped into a gaming group that's running this, and I'm overall a huge fan after my first game. My only complaint is I can't seem to find the role that my character, a sorcerer, plays. Since his damage dice on the whole only level up every other level, I think he's a bit underpowered at even levels. He also lacks the utility spells of a wizard, and just generally doesn't seem to be holding up in the party. Am I doing something wrong?

I actually had one of my playtesters complain about this too. How has using Gather Power been for you? I'm just curious because I've been wondering about this myself.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mystic Mongol posted:

This guy right here got it in one.

RSIxidor posted:

I'm mostly guessing here since I don't actually know the system, but just going off of notes from around the net, maybe it was expanded crit on bloody feature + disappear for double damage feature + extra sneak attack. He also said the Cleric was giving bonuses too, so I assume a Cleric spell or two was in the mix as well, increasing the damage some more.

When she hit things, they died. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a single monster that she attacked that didn't all but explode.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does disappear mean you only actually get to attack once every other turn, though? Kinda takes the edge off the high damage.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Gort posted:

Does disappear mean you only actually get to attack once every other turn, though? Kinda takes the edge off the high damage.

Yep. It's not so much a damage feature, more a mobility/avoidance feature. You take a lot less damage when you're only on the map every other round, and it can also let you take better advantage of momentum.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Zandar posted:

Yep. It's not so much a damage feature, more a mobility/avoidance feature. You take a lot less damage when you're only on the map every other round, and it can also let you take better advantage of momentum.

It actually works to keep your damage at about the same level. It's less swingy than attacking every turn, but if you're doubling from crit and from disappearing then you are looking pretty good on the overall DPR.

Also, it just sounds really cool to disappear and strike from the shadows. I absolutely would do this every round that I'm not already hidden starting right at the first turn.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

RSIxidor posted:

It actually works to keep your damage at about the same level. It's less swingy than attacking every turn, but if you're doubling from crit and from disappearing then you are looking pretty good on the overall DPR.

Also, it just sounds really cool to disappear and strike from the shadows. I absolutely would do this every round that I'm not already hidden starting right at the first turn.

Well, yes, it shouldn't affect your DPR at all except indirectly (teleportation letting you choose your targets better, more concentrated damage meaning greater overkill, etc.). That's what I meant by "not a damage feature". It'll be more swingy, though, not less; fewer rolls means that the randomness doesn't get smoothed out as much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool ability and I really like it for both its fluff and mechanics. And, well, big numbers are fun; they're just not going to increase your raw damage output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Zandar posted:

Well, yes, it shouldn't affect your DPR at all except indirectly (teleportation letting you choose your targets better, more concentrated damage meaning greater overkill, etc.). That's what I meant by "not a damage feature". It'll be more swingy, though, not less; fewer rolls means that the randomness doesn't get smoothed out as much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool ability and I really like it for both its fluff and mechanics. And, well, big numbers are fun; they're just not going to increase your raw damage output.

Yeah, I did get it backwards on whether it swings more or less.

You are right that it is not a damage mechanic, it's a mobility/setup mechanic. I think they managed to make a good setup mechanic here because of the double damage. It doesn't penalize you for setting up for a turn (in the way the DDN Hide action does at L1).

• Locked thread