Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rorac posted:

You know, there was a picture of a locomotive that threw a piston into a house earlier in this thread. For the longest time I've been trying to figure out how that would happen, and this is the only reason I can think of. I knew about diesels running away but I never really thought about it in this context, thank you.

Do you need me to repost the pictures of the destroyed engine from my first ship? That was a diesel that overspeeded. Messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Do you need me to repost the pictures of the destroyed engine from my first ship? That was a diesel that overspeeded. Messy.

I'd like to see them. I can only imagine how large one could gently caress up when dealing with marine engines.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Two Finger posted:

So I get a message today from a friend from my ship that DG4 had exploded and punched a hole in the bulkhead next to it. No one was hurt, thank loving god, but I do have some photos here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LTBS posted:

This found it's way into my flower bed. I don't know where it came from. The only two cars that are usually in my driveway are an old suburban and a new Xterra. I guess it's my neighbor's way of saying I need to water my plants?

Seriously, no clue where it came from.

I'm almost positive that's a KA24E water pump - which would be a SOHC 240SX (89-91 I think) or a D21 (Hardbody) 4 cylinder truck.

Looks like it got chucked out a window or something - it's dinged up in ways that just don't happen when you're removing it, unless they took one hell of a big hammer to it. When I changed mine it came off with one decent whack from a mallet, same when I changed one on a friend's 240SX. :iiam:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From work today.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

From work today.

Goddamn, was that wheel just flopping around like a fish or what? That didn't get to your shop under its own power did it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As a matter of fact, it did! Complaint was 'pulls to the left when driving.'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

From work today.

What....cut it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It remains a mystery. Dude didn't seem to have any idea what so ever of what caused it. He wanted to know if that would cause his pull :psyduck:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What car is that? Reminds me of the control arm on my MKV VW.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh slipped my mind, I believe it was an early 00s Civic.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

911 GT3 center lock failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbE6OzjyVV0

Found that after a bit of googling. Came up after hearing about another incident where a wheel came off at 110 mph. The nut was intact and still had a part of the hub attached.

Scary

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aurune posted:

911 GT3 center lock failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbE6OzjyVV0

Found that after a bit of googling. Came up after hearing about another incident where a wheel came off at 110 mph. The nut was intact and still had a part of the hub attached.

Scary

Someone didn't follow the wheel fitting process properly! http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/01/suspension-walkaround-supplement-porsche-center-lock-wheels.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

It remains a mystery. Dude didn't seem to have any idea what so ever of what caused it. He wanted to know if that would cause his pull :psyduck:
Does he have any enemies?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

I dunno, if that event happened like the other he was describing, if the nut and hub were still attached to the wheel, well, I think the nut did its' job, and was probably put on properly (or terribly hosed up enough to break a hub? I don't think so though.) Of course you can't tell why the gently caress the wheel just pops right off that 911 in the video so whatever, probably some stupid poo poo like improper tightening. But 450ftlbs on one of those nuts? Jesus. Talking about spinning a tire against concrete when the car is fully resting upon the ground, that's crazy.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
This was a Volvo B230 with sleeved cylinders, a 2.5L stroker crank, and a half-cemented block. As far as the owner can figure, one of the cylinder sleeves let go at 28PSI and it hydrolocked.

Remnants of an H-beam rod:

And the piston:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to volunteer to sound stupid - half cemented block?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Almost literally what you think it is. It's filling up part of the block with cement to make it resist distortion (sort of like a closed deck block, but on crack).

They also used to call them "hard blocks" or "filled blocks." Old school drag-strip tech.

e: I think they usually pour it into the coolant passages, so a half cemented block would be halfway to the head with cement.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cakefool posted:

Under extreme stress (read: tons of boost) you get cylinder wall deformation, which usually ends in Bad Things so in some drag car cases they fill the water jackets with filler, making the block more rigid and obviously no longer water cooled.

edit: beaten

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Drag racing thing. They literally fill half the block's water passages with cement (or a purpose made substance) to strengthen it. The decreased cooling isn't much of a concern when you're only going flat out for a 1/4 mile at a time.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. If the valve seals, piston rings, or turbo start leaking sufficient oil, they will run away. Any diesel can. They'll just eat their own lubricating oil till it runs out and then die a horrible death unless you can find a way to block the intake of air.

But with the locomotives, I'm pretty sure there is a cutoff for the generator to the motors, so even if the engine ran away they'd just cut the feed of power.

on an AC locomotive the em2000 would probably throw the crowbar resistor if the engine runs past 950 rpm. this would lock down the generator and quickly stop the engine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boat posted:

Drag racing thing. They literally fill half the block's water passages with cement (or a purpose made substance) to strengthen it. The decreased cooling isn't much of a concern when you're only going flat out for a 1/4 mile at a time.

Plus a lot of those cars are running alcohol fuels, which burn cooler, so there's not as much cooling load.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Why would you ever want only half the water jacket filled with cement? You're blocking all the coolant passages either way, why not fill it up and get more rigidity?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Why would you ever want only half the water jacket filled with cement? You're blocking all the coolant passages either way, why not fill it up and get more rigidity?

I'd guess weight.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So you can drive it to the strip, convinced that it's safe since you've still got some coolant flowing but really you're just softening everything up so it blows-out at the drags like the above pics.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Lady drops off her 1998 Ford Expedition at my shop for a brake inspection. When asked what kind of problem she's having, she simply says: "It makes noise in the front."

Bringing it in from the parking lot was a borderline suicide attempt. Aside from the extremely low brake pedal and the horrendous metal-on-metal grind of what's left of the front brakes; there was also an obnoxious groaning creak every time the suspension moved or the wheel was turned.

First thing I saw after pulling off the right front wheel:

Turns out that one of the bolts that go through the caliper slide and hold it to the support was missing for so long the other one just finally snapped under the stress. Look close enough and you can see the snapped end still in the support, also what's left of one of the pads themselves:

The brake rotor. Not the worst I've seen, but still pretty bad:

Oh, and about that creaking noise:

How some people can risk their lives like this is just :psyduck:

\/Not for passenger vehicles unfortunately. Illinois is weird like that.\/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Root Bear posted:

Lady drops off her 1998 Ford Expedition at my shop for a brake inspection. When asked what kind of problem she's having, she simply says: "It makes noise in the front."

loving hell. No annual inspections in your state?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

opengl128 posted:

loving hell. No annual inspections in your state?

Wisconsin doesn't have an inspection of any sort (either)... you see some interesting heaps rolling around as a result. Or not rolling around, just sideways on the shoulder with broken tie rods after hitting a pothole.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
None in Colorado either. I don't think I've ever seen a state that does inspections.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Come to Pennsylvania and prepare to be financially raped on such asinine things as whether your shift position indicator is aligned properly and whether or not the idiot flap in your filler neck is still there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

thelightguy posted:

Come to Pennsylvania and prepare to be financially raped on such asinine things as whether your shift position indicator is aligned properly and whether or not the idiot flap in your filler neck is still there.

Sounds like you just said "Don't come to Pennsylvania"

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm trying my hardest to get out.

To be fair most shops ignore those parts of the code and stick to checking brakes, suspension, and lights, but it's still in there and god help you if you move to a new city and don't have anyone to point you towards a shop.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Doccers posted:

None in Colorado either. I don't think I've ever seen a state that does inspections.
VA does inspections. Sometimes I think it's mostly a way for shops to charge $30 for a $.99 light bulb, but though it's a pain in the rear end to have to go waste a few hours some morning sitting in line at a local shop, it really does cut down on the number of total shitheaps plying the streets.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 26, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kastein posted:

I've put something like 5k on the one in my other jeep with the head gasket completely blown between cylinders 3 and 4.

All these motors still run perfectly (well, aside from the one with the chunk of missing head gasket... and I drove that one to the airport today) without a single tick or odd sound and perfect oil pressure.

If you want to be able to brutally abuse a vehicle in ways that should never be done, and still not have to replace any major components, buy a jeep with an inline 4 or inline 6.

kastein posted:

I expect the middle of the HG in my 98 XJ to look about the same when I take it out. I think I'm up to 10k miles on it since it dropped two cylinders now. Compression test showed 150, 150, 30, 30, 150, 150 psi readings.

as promised...

hmmm there seems to be a problem

bottom of HG, cylinders 4-1

bottom of HG, cylinders 6-4

top of HG, cylinders 4-1

top of HG, cylinders 6-4

detail: lack of HG cylinders 3-4

cylinders 2-3 were close to burning through too, from the look of it. In fact it probably already started leaking, I felt a noticeable decrease in power from the already horrible lack of power.

Again, this was a running driving vehicle that could be persuaded to maintain 75-80mph on the highway and got 15mpg, or 13 if I drove it like I stole it.

And the best part is that the head and block surfaces look like I can probably just clean it up and slap another gasket in. I was expecting significant erosion and flame polishing since I basically wrote the motor off a year ago and have been trying to kill it since then (4.0s are $100 in my area, I'd rather slap a new one in than do a head gasket in-vehicle...) but never actually succeeded.

Guess it's time to put the new motor in, and maybe throw a gasket in this one and keep it as a spare. Oil pressure was great and there weren't any bad noises aside from the rushing of compression from cylinder to cylinder and the horrible OH GOD PLEASE KILL ME NOW chugging of a 4/6 cylinder motor.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grover posted:

VA does inspections. It's mostly a way for shops to charge $30 for a $.99 light bulb, and though it's a pain in the rear end to have to go waste a few hours some morning sitting in line at a local shop, it really does cut down on the number of total shitheaps plying the streets.

Some might say the same about house inspections too. :3:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

grover posted:

VA does inspections. It's mostly a way for shops to charge $30 for a $.99 light bulb, and though it's a pain in the rear end to have to go waste a few hours some morning sitting in line at a local shop, it really does cut down on the number of total shitheaps plying the streets.

Compare this to MD, where cars with no working brake/tail lights (unless the center one has LED's) are pretty common. I'm torn on inspections, it'd be nice to cut down on that but they really are a pain.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I think the state inspections here in Maine are a good thing. Sure, it pisses me off to make my car safe to pass sometimes, but with all the rust, total heaps would be driving around.
But my car has good joints, brakes, suspension is ok, nothing is very loose, and no rust holes that are too big. And it will pass, it all depends on where you go. He even told me to get the minor fuel leak fixed sometime before next year inspection.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

sanchez posted:

Compare this to MD, where cars with no working brake/tail lights (unless the center one has LED's) are pretty common. I'm torn on inspections, it'd be nice to cut down on that but they really are a pain.

I love it when the only brake light that works is half of the center light but it's covered with a 'GRAND AM' diffuser so only about 1/2 of the light from half of the brake light is actually being shown.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Method Loser posted:

I dunno, if that event happened like the other he was describing, if the nut and hub were still attached to the wheel, well, I think the nut did its' job, and was probably put on properly (or terribly hosed up enough to break a hub? I don't think so though.) Of course you can't tell why the gently caress the wheel just pops right off that 911 in the video so whatever, probably some stupid poo poo like improper tightening. But 450ftlbs on one of those nuts? Jesus. Talking about spinning a tire against concrete when the car is fully resting upon the ground, that's crazy.

You have someone in the car apply the brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sanchez posted:

Eh... it's only $16 and they give you a 2 week rejection if you want to do the work yourself.

Really, how hard is it to give your car a once over before you take it in?