Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

With my Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist party so far the game has been easy as poo poo, I'm doing all the tablet dungeons pretty much just for shits and giggles. For the most part I've had more Gil than I know what to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The White Dragon posted:

Spellblade Samurai

Unfortunately, !Spellblade doesn't work with Katanas.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Well, finally beat FF5 for the first time. This run was generally pretty easy, save for a few battles where !Blue and !Gaia were both worthless. There was a definite dip in the last half of world 2 and the pyramid, with a notable exception for Exdeath. I had two Reflect Rings, so once I got him into the spell spamming stage he killed himself. Got Lvl3 Flare out of the deal, which came in handy for a lot of random battles and Azulmagia.

Hermes Sandals/Mighty Guard/White Wind saw me through Neo Exdeath pretty painlessly. A few deaths here or there, but generally nothing to worry about. Magic Lamp'd the back part, Dark Shock -> Lvl5 Death'd the front, and just wailed on Top and Bottom because I couldn't get Evil Eye to stick on the bottom. Almagest was doing ~700, so it wasn't too bad. Krile could !Jump through it and do a full HP white wind. Most of the battle was spent mashing A to actually do damage. I didn't want to spend MP on Aeroga or anything since I needed to save it for White Wind and reapplying Mighty Guard.

My least valuable class was definitely the Geomancer. Faris spent a lot of time face down since she ended the game with something like 14 defense. Dragoon was so-so, though the Holy Lance did respectable damage and !Jump had its uses. Berserker was fantastic. Easily the second most valuable class I had. It let me cheese a few fights that !Blue couldn't and the Rune Axe with !Blue was by far the strongest weapon I could equip. Blue Mage? Hahaha. Ridiculous in pretty much every situation.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I remembered that I had both a Knight and a method to Berserk, so this took a total of about ten minutes and exactly two tries (the first go he landed a physical attack on Faris before she used Guard).

Ragnarok: feels good man

...I'm gonna end up figuring out Omega just because the #victory backlog is preventing me from a rereg. Man I forgot how much this game owns.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

W.T. Fits posted:

For a list of good rare steals, consult this Google document a bunch of the guys in the IRC channel threw together: FF5FJF Tips

Woa very nice! This document is great. Major kudos to the people who contributed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Woa very nice! This document is great. Major kudos to the people who contributed.

I am of the opinion that the Dragoon part is a work of art. :colbert:

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Most definitely. Enjoyed the Chemist exchange later in the document, which almost made me pony up $5 to change up my party and live the dream, but honestly my mix of Blue Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer has been pretty cake so far.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Be careful with X-Attack, though, because you can't choose your target. Definitely switch it out for something else at the final boss because it can and will hit the dead dummy targets. Spellblade Samurai and Shirahadori (actually maybe more like $Toss) Mystic Knight sounds fantastic though.

I remember reading somewhere that the GBA version of the game had the dummy targets on Exdeath (but not on the Sandworm) removed. Someone want to confirm or deny that?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy is probably the best spell period against single targets. And most bosses by the time you get it are single targets.

I didn't get this at all on my playthrough. I had never used much magic on past FF5 runs but when I got Flare and Holy my first thought was "gently caress yes time to NUKE everything" only to then see Flare do as much, or less than, a Bolt/Ice/Fire 3 buffed by a rod. Factor in a boss with a weakness and it wasn't even close.

On Exdeath my Blackmage was hitting 3k+ with those spells while flare was maybe 2700-3100, ending up under 3k more often than not. Meanwhile Butz is throwing out 4k damage Holy (8-9k in trench) for 20 MP vs Flare's 50 MP. I never realized how weak the 'ultimate' magic is in FF5 until my hardmode run and Flare needs about a 50% damage boost to ever be considered feasible.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I disagree. Being able to replace the Berserker's godawful Agility and Magic penalties (-9 Agility, -23 Magic) with the modest boosts of the Bard (+8 Agility, +11 Magic) is really helpful if you plan on using the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe. A !Magic command from any of the Mage jobs (except Red Mage) would be better, of course, but Equip Harps isn't a bad alternative, all things considered.

My rundown is mostly within the context of my party. I'm sure almost every ability has a place in certain parties, but since I had access to !White it made Equip Harps' stat bonuses for Rune Axe irrelevant.

Edit in italics.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 25, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the GBA version of the game had the dummy targets on Exdeath (but not on the Sandworm) removed. Someone want to confirm or deny that?
Can confirm, dummy targets are still a pain in the rear end and I paid the price for going in with X-Attack and just "setting and forgetting," as it were: if you do that, Exdeath will still wipe your 70-something all-jobs-mastered party because you're wasting so many attacks.

W.T. Fits posted:

Unfortunately, !Spellblade doesn't work with Katanas.
Oh, motherfucker. Ah well, pack that Gil away and make a party of $Tossers!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't get this at all on my playthrough. I had never used much magic on past FF5 runs but when I got Flare and Holy my first thought was "gently caress yes time to NUKE everything" only to then see Flare do as much, or less than, a Bolt/Ice/Fire 3 buffed by a rod. Factor in a boss with a weakness and it wasn't even close.

With a Holy boosting piece of equipment worn. (Like the Sage Staff) Holy's power is 361. This makes it the single strongest spell in the game. In comparison, Flare's is 254 while a boosted Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga is 277. Finally Bahamut is 254. And there is very little that resists or absorbs the Holy element.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 25, 2012

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Aaaand I'm done :sweatdrop:

Mystic Knight was, undoubtedly, the star of the show. Spellblade is useful for almost every situation, in the end I pretty much just revolved my team around acting as support for the MK.
Dragoon wasn't bad either since it can at least equip shields, heavy armour, do decent damage with jump and occassionally miss getting hit by stuff by merit of being off-screen.
Geomancer and monk stink! Though gaia at least is somewhat useful on Neo Exdeath, since it always uses wind slash on all his parts.

Great game, perhaps not the best way to play it for the first time but still fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Griever posted:

Geomancer and monk stink!

Just did my second reg for normal mode so I could actually get some water/fire/earth jobs, AND GUESS WHAT MY WIND AND FIRE JOB ARE! I just got done with you, Monk. Leave me alone.

Course, my water job is Summoner and all the earth jobs are good for something so I'm feelin' fine.

And huh, I'd never looked closely at Faris's Mystic Knight sprite before. That's certainly an outfit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr Pepper posted:

With a Holy boosting piece of equipment worn. (Like the Sage Staff) Holy's power is 361. This makes it the single strongest spell in the game. In comparison, Flare's is 254 while a boosted Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga is 277. Finally Bahamut is 254. And there is very little that resists or absorbs the Holy element.

The thing that's supposed to make up for it is Flare's defense-penetrating qualities, but it takes something with roughly 25 MDEF to make the difference even. Only one piece of Neo Exdeath - the front physical piece - has 25+ MDEF.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
(Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage)

Almost done with World 3. Have all the tablets, just need to get the optional summons (because I can) and then do the final dungeon.

My Berserker got off two Swords Dances on Antlion, so yeah. The Pyramid was a breeze thanks to Requiem, and it gave such wonderful goodies as the Gaia Hammer and a second Gold Hairpin. Melusine took awhile to get started, but soon I was spamming so much Blizzara down her throat that she died quickly.

I then gave my Monk Equip Axes so she wouldn't be useless. I love how Monk carries Berserker in World 1 with Barehanded, and then Berserker returns the favor in World 3. Of course, my Monk sucks with the Gaia Hammer, but still.

Unlock the Rune Axe (gently caress yeah), Magus Rod, and Apollo Harp. Get Hero's Rime, which became 75% of what my Red Mage does every battle. The Magus Rod lets my Red Mage's spells somewhat compete with my Doublecasting Bard's. Rune Axe + Equip Harp = Complete annihilation. Upgrade at Phantom Village (Running Shoes for everyone!), and then head for the Island Shrine. Wendigo was slow, but that just meant Hero's Rime had more time to kick in. I ended the battle with my Berserker dealing over 8000 damage with the Rune Axe. Hell yeah.

I decide to tackle the Fork Tower. Minotaur was easy enough with my Monk feeding my Berserker HiPotions. Omniscient took a bit of strategy, where I let him fling his pathetic spells while I used Hero's Rime, Swift Song, and Mana's Paean to superpower my Red Mage and Bard. From there, I managed to get Omniscient from full HP to 0 without him even getting a chance to do anything. It was glorious.

Great Sea Trench was marvelous because Requiem and Dwarves. The pigs were tedious to deal with, but I managed to luck out and have enough lag between reviving to wipe them all out at once. Did the Istory Shrine, got the Titan Axe to give my Monk a decent weapon (since a Monk's poo poo magic makes the Gaia Hammer near-useless) and then wailed on Leviathan until he croaked. The Titan Axe actually lets my Monk compete with my Berserker in damage now.

Just need to do Odin, Phoenix, and Bahamut for completeness sake. Maybe Mime too for laughs. At any rate, I'm pretty much set with my party, and it's great to see everything coming together.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Great Sea Trench was marvelous because Requiem and Dwarves. The pigs were tedious to deal with, but I managed to luck out and have enough lag between reviving to wipe them all out at once.

Couldn't you have just thrown a Magic Lamp Odin at them? The trench even has a lamp-recharging spot.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

>:| ^^^

Mega64 posted:

Great Sea Trench was marvelous because Requiem and Dwarves. The pigs were tedious to deal with, but I managed to luck out and have enough lag between reviving to wipe them all out at once.

You should get the Magic Lamp before going down there, Odin's an insta-kill against them.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Coming fresh of X2 and its job system (which mostly own, though there's some you sort of get then never use again) and not really having played the early ones, what other FFs use the job system or close approximation without feeling like there's a bunch of useless jobs?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

Coming fresh of X2 and its job system (which mostly own, though there's some you sort of get then never use again) and not really having played the early ones, what other FFs use the job system or close approximation without feeling like there's a bunch of useless jobs?

FF3, 5, and Tactics use the job system. I've found useless jobs in each game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

penguinmambo posted:

FFXII international :getin:

Five and Tactics are probably the best as far as useless jobs go, the GBA version of Five has I think 25 jobs and of them only Thief, Geomancer, Monk, Berserker, and maybe Beastmaster don't hold up into the endgame. Tactics, the only problem is that the unique characters' jobs are all sick nasty and way better than generic jobs. You can totally go the whole game without using any of them, though, aside from the main character.

Don't play three.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FF3, 5, and Tactics use the job system. I've found useless jobs in each game.

FFXI and XIV :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
3's job system is inherently imbalanced, some jobs are meant to be linear improvements on others. The most notable example of this is that in the endgame of the NES version, there's no real reason to use anything but Ninjas for physical characters and Sages for casters. The game as a whole is kinda busted and that system is obviously sort of blah and un-ideal; but then, it's an 8-bit JRPG. Its competition is FF1, FF2 (which is not only the worst FF but one of the worst RPGs I've ever played period), and the NES DQ games which also have an awful lot of rough edges and shallow parts.

5 is actually pretty well-balanced for a casual playthrough. There are some jobs, like the aforementioned Thief and Monk in 5, that aren't amazing for an endgame party... but then, the whole point of the job system in those games is that you change jobs. Thief has the invaluable Steal ability and transfers the highest possible Agility bonus to Traveler/Mime when mastered, and Monk has a couple of pretty interesting skills in Counter and HP+30% as well as the highest possible Stamina bonus.

There really aren't any useless classes in 5 for a normal, four-character playthrough.

EDIT: And yeah, Tactics is an incredible game as a whole, but I think the job system is actually more imbalanced and hosed up than FF5's. There's also not a lot of reason to bother with it later in the game, because the protagonist and the plot-important NPCs you recruit have incredibly powerful custom classes that make grinding other ones feel like a waste of time.

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 26, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

penguinmambo posted:

You'd probably like 5.

Tactics is also great, but it might require more time than you're willing to invest in it.

You should avoid 3 because there are several jobs that exist only to be used once or twice and then never again.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There really aren't any useless classes in 5 for a normal, four-character playthrough.

Berserker's not nearly as bad as I thought it was, but it's pretty trash in a normal playthrough.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm not doing the FJF because I want to beat FF5 the "right" way first, but all this FF5 talk has made me start up the game again so I can finally finish it. Currently at the Castle of Walse.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: And yeah, Tactics is an incredible game as a whole, but I think the job system is actually more imbalanced and hosed up than FF5's. There's also not a lot of reason to bother with it later in the game, because the protagonist and the plot-important NPCs you recruit have incredibly powerful custom classes that make grinding other ones feel like a waste of time.

The special jobs ARE pretty awesome, and certainly beat the Squire class they replace. However, for true game breakage you'll be relying almost entirely on generic classes and their abilities. Mediator Brave/Faith manipulation, Blade Grasp, Two Swords, Draw Out Wizards, Sunken State Dancers, the general brokeness that is Math Skill... sure, you can win the game with Orlandu, but if you want to truly make it cry you'll be using generic jobs.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Super sorry I probably missed this somewhere but is there any word on if that weird rhythm game is any good I enjoy final fantasy music and my 3ds is gathering dust so was thinking about getting it, but I don't see anyone talking about it at all.

I've played the demo songs. I think its kinda fun from what it lets you play. The actual gameplay is more similar to DDR rather than EBA.

It's cute, and the music seems promising, as long as you're just looking for somthing reltively light and easy to play you'll probably enjoy it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

The special jobs ARE pretty awesome, and certainly beat the Squire class they replace. However, for true game breakage you'll be relying almost entirely on generic classes and their abilities. Mediator Brave/Faith manipulation, Blade Grasp, Two Swords, Draw Out Wizards, Sunken State Dancers, the general brokeness that is Math Skill... sure, you can win the game with Orlandu, but if you want to truly make it cry you'll be using generic jobs.

Or you can just make MATH SKILL ORLANDU :black101:

(but seriously there are so many generic jobs in that game with amazing abilities. You have no idea how fun it can be until you rub it in Eledibs' face by teleporting to him on the first turn with an army of dual-wielding Summoners with Knight Skill, Mind Breaking him to 2 or 3 MA, Power Breaking him to 1 PA [to encourage Zodiac], and then usually following up with Speed Break just to be a dick)

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 26, 2012

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

I think X-2 does a pretty good job of making all the jobs useful to some degree. At least it doesn't have anything comparable to 5's Berserker or Tactics' Archer.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

gigglefeimer posted:

I think X-2 does a pretty good job of making all the jobs useful to some degree. At least it doesn't have anything comparable to 5's Berserker or Tactics' Archer.

The Al/Chemist is still as broken as ever, though.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

The Al/Chemist is still as broken as ever, though.

Not really. It's very useful and fun, it has advantages and disadvantages compared to other jobs.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Started another run on Hard Mode and, uh, I think I've got it in the bag already. As of the Water crystal, I have Thief/Blue Mage. Given that all my non-Blue Mages did was Blue Magic last time, I can't see this going too badly.

Edit: And my Fire job is Ranger. This is solid so far. !X-Fight Thief should do some respectable damage.

Edit 2: And last, but not least, Berserker. I must admit, I was almost hoping I'd get one. You know, if I didn't get Summoner or Chemist or something.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 26, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Wada just came out and admitted that "we're not making games that have exceeded the quality of Final Fantasy VII", which is why a remake won't come out.

I guess Wada forgot IX came out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gigglefeimer posted:

Not really. It's very useful and fun, it has advantages and disadvantages compared to other jobs.

Alchemist in X2 was really good for random battles though. They had free full party heals but with a long cast time - if the battle ended while they were still casting the heal would go off anyway. You just set them to heal right before you finished a random encounter, you're never in danger of random fights again :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Wada just came out and admitted that "we're not making games that have exceeded the quality of Final Fantasy VII", which is why a remake won't come out.

I guess Wada forgot IX came out.

Any chance of a link to that?

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Alchemist in X2 was really good for random battles though. They had free full party heals but with a long cast time - if the battle ended while they were still casting the heal would go off anyway. You just set them to heal right before you finished a random encounter, you're never in danger of random fights again :v:

Letting defensive actions still happen after the monsters died was a really nice little feature, considering that you got AP by using skills and not winning battles.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kyrosiris posted:

Any chance of a link to that?

http://andriasang.com/con1ny/wada_on_ffvii_remake/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

there you go.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Thanks. That doesn't really bode well for those of us who think FF7 was fairly overrated, I guess. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It's just surprising to me considering FFIX was more well-received from game critics than VII was. If he thinks FFVII was the pinnacle of quality in the franchise, well...