Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Dream Drop Distance will be one of the games digitally awailable for download on the 3DS, I believe.

Also, I may be the only one, but playing Terra as a mix of sword keyblade and magic (with an emphasis on magic) owns!

he has some really fantastic physical commands. I'm not really sure why people think he sucks so bad! I mean, compared to Aqua, everyone in the series is terrible to play as, but come on. He has the strongest (physically) Keyblade in the game, all of his Keyblades are incredibly long, and he has a bunch of great physical commands that hit a wide area. I think the biggest problem with Terra is that you play as him first, so if you only play through the game once, by the time you've gotten to Aqua and actually understand all the mechanics of the game, you're gonna look back and think Terra was terrible. Only through multiple playthroughs have I been able to use Terra to his full potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

he has some really fantastic physical commands. I'm not really sure why people think he sucks so bad! I mean, compared to Aqua, everyone in the series is terrible to play as, but come on. He has the strongest (physically) Keyblade in the game, all of his Keyblades are incredibly long, and he has a bunch of great physical commands that hit a wide area. I think the biggest problem with Terra is that you play as him first, so if you only play through the game once, by the time you've gotten to Aqua and actually understand all the mechanics of the game, you're gonna look back and think Terra was terrible. Only through multiple playthroughs have I been able to use Terra to his full potential.

That he does, but his exclusive magical commands also has some bit of power or useful effects behind them. Incidentally, I started the game with Aqua, and ended as Terra, so I think I find Terra a bit more fun and rewarding to play as than Aqua (and he has the best way to rack up Experience quickly if you know what you're doing)... which incidentally led to me losing badly the first time I did the Aqua vs. Terranort fight.

Generally, my command deck as Terra is packed with four magic commands, and two physical commands, which I've carefully chosen after perceived usefulness or coolness. (I also have a pure physical + 1 Curaga deck, and one pure magical deck.) No Name is used for it's high magic stat and decent physical power (59 Strength and 55 Magic when level is maxed, and I don't have BBS Final Mix, besides it looks cool).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

All this BBS talk is making me wish there was a PSP emu that could run it. It's probably the only way I'll ever get to play it. :(

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can basically ignore the plot of Re;coded since it literally doesn't matter until the ending, and the secret movie. But the game is fun as hell, has a slightly better version of the command deck system from BBS, and I really liked the level matrix stuff. Mostly because I think it's cool that you can dick around with your stats in order to affect EXP/item drops/etc.

I never understood why people think Days is better than Re:Coded. For one thing, Days' gameplay is so unpolished and the boss fights are sloppily designed. Not to mention it stuck with the old KH1 command system, which was no fun at all. Re:Coded had good gameplay and awesome boss fights. Especially the Heartless Sora and Roxas fights. The addition of the command deck made everything much more action packed as well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I found Terra to be my favourite character, especially due to his final boss fight. His combat was much more focused on physical attacks and parrying, which I found more fun than just waiting for spells to recharge. Unfortunately he was let down by his voice actor.

Did anyone notice how his voice sounded completely different in one of the flashbacks? I can't remember if it happened in either Aqua or Ventus' story though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Is it bad that I found Willa Holland as Aqua to be worse than Jason Dohring as Terra, particularly at the end?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

waywardhorizons posted:

I never understood why people think Days is better than Re:Coded. For one thing, Days' gameplay is so unpolished and the boss fights are sloppily designed. Not to mention it stuck with the old KH1 command system, which was no fun at all. Re:Coded had good gameplay and awesome boss fights. Especially the Heartless Sora and Roxas fights. The addition of the command deck made everything much more action packed as well.

Now now, Days has some really amazing unique bosses, like Leechgrave and Ruler of the Sky. They are awesome.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Is it bad that I found Willa Holland as Aqua to be worse than Jason Dohring as Terra, particularly at the end?

She's pretty lifeless, but is written really well. Terra's VA isn't bad, but he's written horribly.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've been playing Re:coded lately, and I just finished Olympus Coliseum. Am I the only one who thinks this is the worst version of Olympus Coliseum yet?

I remember people talking about how great it is, but I just don't understand how anyone could enjoy it beyond the first floor. I normally prefer turn-based RPGs over action ones, but the RPG they made for this level is just so bad.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I just played the demo for 3D, and I have to say that I'm not really impressed. The flowmotion stuff feels overpowered as all hell, unless they put some sort of limit on it in the full version, and for the demo itself they chose to show off the most boring location, with a lame character (with an awful theme tune), with a boring boss.

I'll still get 3D when it comes out but I'm far less hyped for it than before I played the demo. Also, has Sora's VA always been this bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Also, has Sora's VA always been this bad?

His actor was 14 when this all started and he's now 24. It's probably getting increasingly hard for him to continue doing the voice of a chipper teen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I just played the demo for 3D, and I have to say that I'm not really impressed. The flowmotion stuff feels overpowered as all hell, unless they put some sort of limit on it in the full version, and for the demo itself they chose to show off the most boring location, with a lame character (with an awful theme tune), with a boring boss.

I'm not sure why people think the flowmotion stuff is overpowered, or that commands are useless. The flowmotion moves are pretty weak, even if they are flashy. Commands do way more damage at the cost of a slight recharge time. I was using a combination of both when I played through the demo (multiple times) and it seemed pretty fun.

Also I guess I didn't look much at the bottom screen my first time through because there was some kind of challenge where I had to kill three dinosaurs in 20 seconds that gave me some loot as a reward. Cool, I guess? I don't know what the points do.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

ImpAtom posted:

His actor was 14 when this all started and he's now 24. It's probably getting increasingly hard for him to continue doing the voice of a chipper teen.

Wait, they've used the same voice actor for all the games? :psyboom:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait, they've used the same voice actor for all the games? :psyboom:

Mostly.

During the scenes with Young Sora and Riku in BBS, they used different VAs, but Haley Joel Osment and David Gallagher have voiced the same character for the rest of the games, yes. Kairi has had 3 different VAs; Hayden Panettiere in Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Alyson Stoner in Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and Ariel Winter when Kairi was a young girl.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is there a reason why Sora looks so young again? I wouldn't mind his voice sounding different if he actually looked older.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

That loving Sned posted:

Is there a reason why Sora looks so young again? I wouldn't mind his voice sounding different if he actually looked older.

Because it's a dream. Also HEART POWER.

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Now now, Days has some really amazing unique bosses, like Leechgrave and Ruler of the Sky. They are awesome.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like Days. It has some of my favorite moments in the series. And you're right, there are some unique and clever bosses. But it's still really unpolished.

I will say that Days certainly has a better plot than Re:Coded though. Days' plot was part of the appeal of the game for me. Re:Coded's plot just existed as an excuse to beat crap into a pulp with an oversized key.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

That loving Sned posted:

Did anyone notice how his voice sounded completely different in one of the flashbacks? I can't remember if it happened in either Aqua or Ventus' story though.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be them when they're several years younger, but they got lazy and didn't make a different model so it just looks like they go on about how they are TRUE BROS FOREVER when they've only known each-other for like a month.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Critical is dumb for exactly this reason. It's not more of a challenge, it's "grind a bit more and the game is basically Normal"

They didn't really balance the extra difficulties very well in the KH games. Don't they literally just bump your HP in half and the enemies HP to double or something like that?

Also this thread is making me think I'm gonna buy KH 3D even though I constantly complain about every KH game I play.

KH2 Final Mix had a rather balanced Critical Mode. You had half HP but you also did double damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr Pepper posted:

KH2 Final Mix had a rather balanced Critical Mode. You had half HP but you also did double damage.

Wait, really?

Also they start you off with a bunch of awesome Abilities in case you want to do a zero exp run, which would mean you wouldn't learn any level up abilities.

EDIT: I am crazy and I went for the "Complete x worlds at level 16 or under" simultaneously with my first playthrough, instead of revisiting the worlds. Oh yeah, and I was on critical difficulty. Yeah, I couldn't deal with it any more at the boss of Hollow Bastion. It was just too loving ridiculous at that point.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 27, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of final mix, any got any strats for Larxene? I laughed when I saw her health, I wasn't laughing after the 20th death, how many attacks does she have?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

Speaking of final mix, any got any strats for Larxene? I laughed when I saw her health, I wasn't laughing after the 20th death, how many attacks does she have?

Spam Reflect. Each of her clones can take damage, and each of their attacks can be reflected individually. Think about that for a second.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait, really?

Also they start you off with a bunch of awesome Abilities in case you want to do a zero exp run, which would mean you wouldn't learn any level up abilities.

EDIT: I am crazy and I went for the "Complete x worlds at level 16 or under" simultaneously with my first playthrough, instead of revisiting the worlds. Oh yeah, and I was on critical difficulty. Yeah, I couldn't deal with it any more at the boss of Hollow Bastion. It was just too loving ridiculous at that point.

What you mean you didn't beat Critical Mode with EXP 0 equipped the entire time? :smug:

Yeah, they altered the damage formula for Critical mode in KH2FM. To help make a Level 1 run bearable.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

After being a spergin fashionista in the FF7 LP concerning character designs, someone teased that I should do one for something a little weirder like KH. Would anyone find this this interesting y/n

keet fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 27, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

penguinmambo posted:

After being a spergin fashionista in the FF7 LP concerning character designs, someone teased that I should do one for something a little weirder like KH. Would anyone find this this interesting y/n

Absolutely!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

penguinmambo posted:

Yes, absolutely. :)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

penguinmambo posted:

Yes! Do it! :)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Spam Reflect. Each of her clones can take damage, and each of their attacks can be reflected individually. Think about that for a second.

Got her on the first try with this tip, thank you very much. :D

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New video with more info about the Dream Eaters that you make friends with:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150866619476160

You can breed them? Oh dear. Goodbye, free time...

keet
Aug 20, 2005

This is not gonna be any critique of mind whether the style is good, anymore than I could objectively say I dont like power rangers because I don't like the color red.

KH is usually cited to follow one of the stronger of two major design paths for FF-esque modeling. For the sake of brevity let's call it the Belt and Zippers path (Nomuraism – google any major character in “final fantasy x-2”) and Beads and Sashes path (Amanoism - google “Gogo Final Fantasy”). KH follows the first very closely. I think almost too universally closely. Whatever your opinions on it being stylish, the idea Sora Riku and Kairi (and Roxas and co.) having Nomura-style clothing is a nice touch of world building, because it suggests a style unique to that town/world/whatever while giving it an excuse to look costumey. Goofy and Donald even make a specific mention they're clothes are different because they're trying to fit in. So it kind of breaks my immersion (and gives me the sense 'this was entirely designed by a guy') we see the style pop up around characters not in these worlds have similar designs.

Amongst the decidedly exaggeration-prone fanbase (both pro and con) and in the context of already anime-laden jrpg designs, mostly the hallmarks of Nomuraism are:

*Blue eyes
*Solid bold colors with an avoidance of intricate tiny patterns
*Gloves and bracelets
*Belts and Zippers of a chunkier style
*Asymmetric clothing

But why this style? Let's ignore the very plausible answer Nomura simply likes the style. You saw hints of it all the way back in FF8 with Squall, then Lulu (mostly an experiment) and the Paine (who mentions in interview he liked her design a lot), and the whole punk/leather subculture in Japan was very much in swing during that time. The style has become slightly less outlandish, and if you want an example of a more subdued thing being represented check out World Ends With You, but that game also has the conceit that they're actually supposed to BE normal outfits. They don't have the slight-to-major costume quality other rpgs sometimes have.

But is there a design reason for Nomuras? Sure. From a pre-PS1 standpoint, Nomuraism doesn't work. Stuff is not detailed enough. Nonetheless, Amanoisms aren't much better because of the lack of detail for graphics during the time. Suggesting textures or cloth vs leather is a no go. However, the Nomuraism of solid bright colors DOES work well, which is why all the sprites in those games look good despite their simplicity. Unsurprisingly Nomura designs a lot of the earlier sprites.

Now it's the nex-gen era. Cloth is still pretty hard to model realistically (cloth as a distinctive thing started looking good around FF9, IMHO). What do vinyl, leather, and buckets not do as well as cloth? Bend, and when they do its in a chunky way. The feel and texture of them is also much easier to get across visually than cloth in a game with nice-but-not-great graphics. Belts are basically worn in real life to KEEP things from moving, so now you have a realistic visual excuse for an outfit when it doesn't really flow for modeling purposes. The metal, zipper bits, and seams (what transformer fans would call “Kibble”) is also a little BIGGER on models than they should realistically be to emphasize this. Seams are important too, because while well tailored clothes can hide seams in real life, models in games are still basically polygons and seams can hide this by suggesting its part of the clothing, not the body.

(I don't remember if other games do it, but once nice touch in Kingdom Hearts is while not everyone moves with a montonous CLONK CLONK of footsteps, zippers and belts creak and jingle slightly when they gesticulate. It's another nice touch to suggest a character's model is moving when it actually isn't and, again, depends on you assuming the kibble is big enough to jangle.)

This is getting kinda long so I'll do individual characters a little later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wish they had gone further with the idea of Sora, Donald and Goofy 'blending in' with each world they visit, but it only shows up in a few of them.

The biggest problem I had with some of the worlds wasn't how out of place they looked, it was when the villains hardly acknowledged their presence. I know some of the Disney villains are actually part of the main plot, while others are wrapped up in their own stories, but when Barbarossa doesn't even notice the three cartoon characters tagging along, it feels like you're not having an impact on the events at all.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I wish they had gone further with the idea of Sora, Donald and Goofy 'blending in' with each world they visit, but it only shows up in a few of them.

The biggest problem I had with some of the worlds wasn't how out of place they looked, it was when the villains hardly acknowledged their presence. I know some of the Disney villains are actually part of the main plot, while others are wrapped up in their own stories, but when Barbarossa doesn't even notice the three cartoon characters tagging along, it feels like you're not having an impact on the events at all.

Despite its anime-as-heck OC villians, I've always given Square a pass in some regards cause we have no idea how much Disney is willing to let Square's side mess around with their properties. (I've in fact never liked POTC being included, and feel like it was mostly cause of the big release money it made. Tron at least had the structure of being literally a videogame, so maybe that's what videogames in videogame land look like.)

The vice versa is true, and sadly my dream of of the Cloud Zack and Sephiroth back story being a project co-started by Jumba and Hojo to clone cells from a violently powerful alien organism that looks like a koala in order to create supersoldiers and/or resistant to geostigmaheartless infection and accidently creating Terra and Aya Brea will sadly go unfufilled.

keet fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 28, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

penguinmambo posted:

The vice versa is true, and sadly my dream of of the Cloud Zack and Sephiroth back story being a project co-started by Jumba and Hojo to clone cells from a violently powerful alien organism that looks like a koala in order to create supersoldiers and/or resistant to geostigmaheartless infection and accidently creating Terra and Aya Brea will sadly go unfufilled.

Why isn't this the Kingdom Hearts plot.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Why isn't this the Kingdom Hearts plot.

Because KH is at once too fanficky and not fanficky enough and anyone good at FF character humor is working on Dissidia.

Using the concept of a villian being a known hero's heartless/nobody/etc. (did the suggestion this is Seph's backstory canonize yet?) coulda been used a lot more extensively rather than me fighting Goon Based On Minion Squad's Implied Job Class. You could literally have any FF hero having their villian be the H/N (and not always the lead, this game is Cameo.jpg so let's get obscure). Have a Aya vs Eve thing or, hell, Rinoa vs Ultimecia as a huge fan wink. SHove this stuff into the handheld side-quels if you like.

I'm more worried this line of thinking leads me to the thought you can replace the policewoman and rich jerk in the Gargoyles with Aya Brea and Scrooge McDuck and not much has to change from the original story.

He even has a castle back in Scotland! :v:

VVVV e: Hojo was the one who wanted to shove alienjuice into people :colbert: Gast in FF7 did tons of research on Jenova and the ancients and was a good guy. Nothing wrong with saying its why Jumba (who was a criminal) turned over a new leaf. :v:

keet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A Stitch/Final Fantasy 7 crossover game would make my head explode in the best possible way.

Though Jumba is a GOOD GUY, Hojo would be teaming up with Gantu come on guy learn your poo poo :colbert:

That loving Sned posted:

I loved the Pirates world, and I didn't even care that they didn't become realistic as funny as that would be. But I really wish they had at least changed their outfits to look like pirates.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

I am honestly surpised there is not more actual Disney/Square plot mashups in fanstuff, but then I realized KH was one of those things that used to attract two fandoms and now is basically its own fandom. Anyway.

random voice observation: Choosing Boreanz (whose last famous role among the audience superpowered broody guy who's sort of hot but also kinda creepy and comes off as an rear end in a top hat but kicks rear end alongside his magic girlfriend) as Squall is loving gold.

LEONAERISYUFFIE SORADONALDGOOFY SORAKAIRIRIKU

Gonna mention Sora's got blue eyes. That's fine. Giving everyone them is not fine, because the story later has bits of people running around who all also have blue eyes (summation of heartless/nobody/real drama: Some people are CAKE and sometimes they get separated and either become crumbs or apparently become EGGS or BUTTER or FLOUR.) It would have been a very good thing to established eye color as a nice visual cue for these folks early on. Let me quickly know who Roxas and Namine are supposed to be from, but do it in this artsy way. If Ansem and all his knockoffs have grey eyes, I don't need to look up a faq to explain this. Names from Sky/Earth/Sea? Grey, brown, blue eyes respectively. This isn't hard, people.

Two things dominate Sora's design. He visual stand in for Mickey Mouse and more broadly, much like a dinosaur has traits of a crocodile and a bird but isn't either of those, Sora and some of the other characters designs are a compromise between Nomura and Disney style animation. This is less evident in the later character designs (though most characters retain the 'softness' of color Disney is famous for) but it also means Sora moves and gesticulates more like Micky Mouse (or Rikku if you remember FFX-2). He has big feet and hands for emphasis and even has gloves and big shoes to cover up it actually looks kinda of weird. (Kairi's character model wearing light shoes and no gloves is really jarring sometimes cause of this.) He also has red pants so poofy you aren't quite sure where they end, so he has a blue vest to break up the pattern. Again, red, blue, yellow: loud Nomura colors and metal trimmings. I've always gotten the feeling the outfit is supposed to be vinyl.

Does this look dumb to you? Even better. Sora has to sell the art concept and because he's a derpy good natured guy who is still a kid you really CAN imagine him wearing this fashion disaster and thinking it's the coolest thing. No one else in the series wears something this loud.

The newer, more black outfit is mainly there to show copyright infringment on bootleg material Sora's grown up a bit. The colors are more subdued but there's also more graphic details. Sora's a little less BELTZ, even.

keet fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 28, 2012

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

penguinmambo posted:

(summation of heartless/nobody/real drama: Some people are CAKE and sometimes they get separated and either become crumbs or apparently become EGGS or BUTTER or FLOUR.)

If only everything was this simple in life. :golfclap:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Just tried the KH3D demo, seems pretty awesome, hopefully they'll have the alternate camera/lock-on mode from BBS, I can't stand the default.

Speaking of BBS, how long is the 'final act'? I still haven't played that part yet but I finished all the main character stories.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Reive posted:

Speaking of BBS, how long is the 'final act'? I still haven't played that part yet but I finished all the main character stories.

For final mix or the regular version?

I'm not sure on FM, but about...twenty minutes I guess, for the regular, if it's your first time, watching all the cutscenes.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 29, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pesky Splinter posted:

For final mix or the regular version?

I'm not sure on FM, but about...twenty minutes I guess, for the regular, if it's your first time, watching all the cutscenes.

The extra bits of Final Mix (which are part of the secret movie, btw) are probably like... twenty minutes once all the cutscenes end. And btw it is super awesome and the boss owns super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does lingering sentiment say anything in the pre-fight banter?

Speaking of which, he's also kicking my rear end, any advice bobman?