Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Really, how hard is it to give your car a once over before you take it in?

This, aside from maybe brakes, none of it's arcane poo poo that only a trained mechanic could take care of. Go down the checklist before you go in and if you fail anything your car's not safe to drive anyway. Fix, lather, repeat until your car's not a deathtrap. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

otaku69 posted:

You have someone in the car apply the brakes.

no I know, I read the page, but shitfuck that's a lot of torque on that nut

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
In Russia, a car hit a bump: http://englishrussia.com/2012/06/11/bumps-can-be-different/#more-102790

The surprising part is it was repaired.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Colonel Sanders posted:

In Russia, a car hit a bump: http://englishrussia.com/2012/06/11/bumps-can-be-different/#more-102790

That's pretty impressive. I'm not sure if it was worth the effort.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

front wing flexing posted:

That's pretty impressive. I'm not sure if it was worth the effort.

Just a scratch compared to the other poo poo that guy has restored.

Here's the full collection.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Saw this today

Not the first time I've seen a burned up Cadillac.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

NOTinuyasha posted:

What in the gently caress, why? Are cars just THAT expensive there that the labor that goes into a ridiculous repair like that is justified?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Poing posted:

What in the gently caress, why? Are cars just THAT expensive there that the labor that goes into a ridiculous repair like that is justified?

It works like this in a lot of countries outside the US.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah we don't do inspections around here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Poing posted:

It's Russia, I am sure labor costs and things like health and safety regulations and even roadworthy (seriously, some of those cut and shuts would be illegal in Australia) regulations are lax.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

He MUST trust in god to drive that around....

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Inspections are good. Canadian provinces are bad. No poo poo, there are taxicabs in Montreal that look like that Subaru (usually Pontiac 6000s.) I think only Ontario has inspections and that's only for registering a new-to-you used vehicle. The system for that is completely crooked, it's entirely written up by a dealership association and meant to make it a pain for anyone who doesn't have a buddy who's a licensed mechanic to buy a used car privately.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Doccers posted:

None in Colorado either. I don't think I've ever seen a state that does inspections.
Head west a couple of hours.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 27, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
on a 2000 Ford Explorer:

chrisgt and Slow Is Fast will recognize this...

whoever designed the stock rear leaf shackles for the Explorer was a god drat idiot, it's some kind of goofy slotted sheetmetal thing and they corrode to nothing super fast up here. Even my rustbucket 96 XJ's shackles were in way better shape than this (i.e. they were still functioning and in one piece instead of two) and this was years newer. I suspect they used lovely metal for those shackles too because the rest of the car was pretty clean, in fact the rear axle was the cleanest I've ever seen in the junkyard, still had most of the paint on the axle tubes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

thecobra posted:

Saw this today

Not the first time I've seen a burned up Cadillac.

Doesn't appear to be engine related though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Doing a google translate to english on that page is like a mechanical failure all in its own.

"It is strange that the cushions are not bummed, no?"

Must mean, "It's strange the airbags didn't deploy, no?" judging by the reply of, "When not wearing a seat belt - it does not work"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Colonel Sanders posted:

I still can't decide if you think it would have been scrapped, or simply driven the way it was. This is Russia, after all...

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

kastein posted:

on a 2000 Ford Explorer:

chrisgt and Slow Is Fast will recognize this...

whoever designed the stock rear leaf shackles for the Explorer was a god drat idiot, it's some kind of goofy slotted sheetmetal thing and they corrode to nothing super fast up here. Even my rustbucket 96 XJ's shackles were in way better shape than this (i.e. they were still functioning and in one piece instead of two) and this was years newer. I suspect they used lovely metal for those shackles too because the rest of the car was pretty clean, in fact the rear axle was the cleanest I've ever seen in the junkyard, still had most of the paint on the axle tubes.

I've replaced many a collapsed leaf spring shackles on Explorers/Rangers alike. How was getting the bolts themselves out of the bushings? They always seem to rust themselves together for me. Jerks. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Root Bear posted:

I've replaced many a collapsed leaf spring shackles on Explorers/Rangers alike. How was getting the bolts themselves out of the bushings? They always seem to rust themselves together for me. Jerks. :colbert:

No idea. I had a cordless sawzall and angle grinder with me :haw:

I was after the rearend in that car, and one shackle was already rusted in half for me, so I sawzalled the other, chopped the ubolts up with the angle grinder, sawzalled the driveshaft, cut the brake lines and ebrake lines, sawzalled the swaybar links and dragged it out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

revmoo posted:

You could wait until the owner parked the car, surround it with half a dozen strong guys and just lift the body off the frame and carry it away.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gorilla Salad posted:

You could wait until the owner parked the car, surround it with half a dozen strong guys and just lift the body off the frame and carry it away.

Pah, you can't even see into that car through the holes. It doesn't having anything on the winter beaters I've seen in Minnesota.
(No inspections, shock)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Less a mechanical failure, More a Mechanics failure. Im upgrading the speakers and stereo in my mates hilux and pulled the door skins to find these...

Thats TWO MDF spacers, both the wrong size for the speaker, and 3" long sheet metal screws straight into the door sheetmetal holding that speaker in!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
And the window and speaker work? Man some people heave really high standards of horrible. I see wood behind that top screw hole.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Forgot to mention that- theres only 3 out of 4 screws holding the thing in.

Surprisingly, both speaker and window worked! the speakers were CDT Audio 6.5" Coaxials, but theyre 2.5" deep which wouldnt fit with the existing door trims if they were actually mounted properly...

Took a bit of thinking, but this is how the new speakers ended up being mounted up

At least they are sealed against the door metal!

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

NOTinuyasha posted:

This is what I imagine every time I think I see a good deal on a "salvage" titled car.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

No. But this was!

This was on the 190E 2.3-16 where the tard that owned it had completely removed the plastic water barrier in order to install his tyte stereo. I'm a bit disappointed I can't find the pic of the giant pile of redundant cables from multiple stereo installs.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Das Volk posted:

No. But this was!

This was on the 190E 2.3-16 where the tard that owned it had completely removed the plastic water barrier in order to install his tyte stereo. I'm a bit disappointed I can't find the pic of the giant pile of redundant cables from multiple stereo installs.

Holy poo poo thats an effort and a half- Thats not a factory hole in the steel is it?

Ive cut and tweaked a few mm here and there of internal door steel to stop big speakers touching when they are jammed where they shouldnt, but thats going a few steps too far!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ferremit posted:

Holy poo poo thats an effort and a half- Thats not a factory hole in the steel is it?

Ive cut and tweaked a few mm here and there of internal door steel to stop big speakers touching when they are jammed where they shouldnt, but thats going a few steps too far!

Yeah pretty much, some dickhead cut a hole in the door and the door cards to fit his phat beatz speakers since the holes in the dash of the 190 were too small. There were 3 different power cables run through the car too from the battery to the amp. The battery terminal looked like a porcupine with all the abandoned power leads.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Some mechanical, some just plain loving stupidity on my part. Cleaning up after the tropical storm down here, I got a little too close to the flooded part of my property. It's double stupid that I loving even tried it with those turf tires on.

It's the only time I haven't been able to walk that fucker out with the loader, but the ground was too soft to get a good enough grip to push it back. You can also see all the bark missing from a nearby tree where I tried to use it for leverage.

I actually made the guy behind the counter at tractor supply say " you poor bastard " when I pop a 6000 pound cable puller and 40 feet of towing strap down on the counter.

I don't gently caress up often, but when I do... :suicide:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Das Volk posted:

This was on the 190E 2.3-16 where the tard that owned it had completely removed the plastic water barrier in order to install his tyte stereo.

Somebody has done this exact same thing to replace one speaker in my MX-5. The drivers door handle keeps going on strike, I thought it was that little spring that's in there had broken but it turned out the entire mechanism is just rusting itself solid in there.

And the speaker thay put in buzzes like nobody's business. :allears:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Blackstone Labs' newsletter this month features an oil report from a Nissan whose oil has never been changed -- ever. In 122,000 miles.

Man, I wish they'd have posted photos, but apparently the engine's still running just fine and didn't even need to be disassembled. Look at those iron and lead levels, though! Those poor bearings :cry:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I got it out!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Inspections are good. Canadian provinces are bad. No poo poo, there are taxicabs in Montreal that look like that Subaru (usually Pontiac 6000s.) I think only Ontario has inspections and that's only for registering a new-to-you used vehicle. The system for that is completely crooked, it's entirely written up by a dealership association and meant to make it a pain for anyone who doesn't have a buddy who's a licensed mechanic to buy a used car privately.

We have biannual inspections in Nova Scotia for cars and trucks, annual for bikes and I think trailers. New Brunswick has annual, I think, as does PEI, as far as I know.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

stevobob posted:

We have biannual inspections in Nova Scotia for cars and trucks, annual for bikes and I think trailers. New Brunswick has annual, I think, as does PEI, as far as I know.

Maine should have trailer inspection... Of course then mine wouldn't pass, but still.
It's not uncommon at all to see trailers with wheels fallen off. And one, just recently down the road from me. The axle was rusted in half.
I can't say much as the frame on mine broke in half hauling fire wood once, but a ratchet strap and 2x4 got it through 2 more seasons...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Glad to hear it! I have to admit that I cackled a bit when I saw your picture. That's some terrible-looking poo poo.

Hope you weren't hit too hard by the storm.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

grover posted:

Blackstone Labs' newsletter this month features an oil report from a Nissan whose oil has never been changed -- ever. In 122,000 miles.

Man, I wish they'd have posted photos, but apparently the engine's still running just fine and didn't even need to be disassembled. Look at those iron and lead levels, though! Those poor bearings :cry:

Holy crap.

And that's almost the same engine that's in my Altima too (SOHC head, but same engine family/displacement).

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Sanders posted:

The next time that car hits something its going to fold up at a point right next to the driver's left hip. Lovely.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You make it sound like this isn't how repairs are done everywhere else.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Glad to hear it! I have to admit that I cackled a bit when I saw your picture. That's some terrible-looking poo poo.

Hope you weren't hit too hard by the storm.

Just wet. It flooded about 25% of my 6 acres. According to the meter about half a mile away we got 21" of rain in 48 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

You make it sound like this isn't how repairs are done everywhere else.

That car would've been scrapped anywhere else.