Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Well, I downloaded the DLC, did the "Synthesis" ending and watched the rest on Youtube. The Deus Ex montage bugs me a little because it's so lazy in comparison to the KIA wall scene that it doesn't deliver nearly enough of an emotional punch to really work. The monologues were fantastic though, especially for the new Refuse ending and Hackett's speech.

Despite the drag, I do feel a little more satisfied with the end and the message from the team at the end of it all makes it very clear that this isn't the last we'll see of the ME universe.

Roll on the MMO so I can become a horrible basement-dweller spending all my time throwing credits at Asari. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I'm replaying with the DLC, and I forgot how ridiculous the Garrus romance is. Romance Garrus or get out.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Is anyone else having issues loading saved games? Every time I load mine it just shows the spinning symbol in the corner then crashes when I click.

*edit*
Extended cut didn't install properly and after running the repair option in Origin it worked fine. Never mind.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 27, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yesterday I was looking around on the Normandy and noticed the name Gabriella Daniels on the memorial wall. No no noooo that is terrible :(

I assume that's a consequence of not importing from ME2 (and instead editing some flags in the ME3 save editor to keep Wrex alive drat it)? Is there any way in the ME3 editor to say "no, I'm not a total clot, I DID save all my crew thank you very much"? Or should I just import an ME2 save?

The reason I didn't import in the first place is because starting at level 30 seemed like too much a leg up. Is it?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
God loving dammit I am never going to get Hijacker. I plug away with nothing by my Carnifex and every time it blows up anyway. Any tips/recommended missions for getting this one?

I only have that and the two Insanity achievements left and gently caress if I'm gonna try to get that one and the latter two at the same time :shepicide:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

404GoonNotFound posted:

God loving dammit I am never going to get Hijacker. I plug away with nothing by my Carnifex and every time it blows up anyway. Any tips/recommended missions for getting this one?

I only have that and the two Insanity achievements left and gently caress if I'm gonna try to get that one and the latter two at the same time :shepicide:

I've actually had the best luck with using high powered sniper rifles, like the Black Widow. 2-3 shots will takes out the pilot on casual, if you just want to snag the achievement.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Set the level to hardcore, play the last cerberus base level plug away at the one that comes through the hole made by the rigged fighter with the carnifex from behind cover whenever it shoots smoke move to a position where you can see it or wait it out so you can make sure all your shots hit the glass. You need a head shot after the glass breaks.

I think I've done it 3 times now and never not succeeded every time I tried.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Wait you don't get automatically get that one when you take the mech in the Jack mission?

That's where I got that one.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

randombattle posted:

Wait you don't get automatically get that one when you take the mech in the Jack mission?

That's where I got that one.

No, you don't get it from hopping in the mech that's being repaired.

My best result is on Eden Prime (From Ashes DLC). Wait until the Atlas gets dropped at the last hold position and focus on the mooks while kiting the Atlas between entrances.

Once it's the only thing left, get your squad to hold position and move around to the ladder you originally came down. If you make it before the Atlas can get you then you're free to just plug away at the canopy, break it and kill the pilot before hopping in.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I figured I"d ask in here instead of the spoiler thread. Does my Effective Military Strength matter still for the extended cut, am I going to have to go grind it out in multiplayer for a bit to make sure I can get everything?

VVV Cool, mine is high enough than. Thanks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 27, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LibbyM posted:

I figured I"d ask in here instead of the spoiler thread. Does my Effective Military Strength matter still for the extended cut, am I going to have to go grind it out in multiplayer for a bit to make sure I can get everything?

You can probably get it in single player if you're a completion (it's around ~3000 this time around). If not, just play like, two or three bronze matches.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DrNutt posted:

I've actually had the best luck with using high powered sniper rifles, like the Black Widow. 2-3 shots will takes out the pilot on casual, if you just want to snag the achievement.

And you say this just after I blew my credits on a Paladin. WELP!

Oh well, maybe I'll have enough saved up again by the Cerberus Base. Having it be part of literally the first setpiece of the mission helps.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

LibbyM posted:

VVV Cool, mine is high enough than. Thanks.

As I understand it it still does pretty much absolutely nothing except the same thing it did last time.

You could have minimum EMS and it wouldn't matter except for that short like 5 seconds at the end of a single ending you won't get to see again and be frustrated by.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Ciaphas posted:

The reason I didn't import in the first place is because starting at level 30 seemed like too much a leg up. Is it?

I'm not sure if starting at level 30 makes the game much easier, but I would say that it makes a lot of stuff more fun. You start with a bunch of skill points and get twice as much skill points per level, so you can experiment with a more diverse set of skills. Enemies scale to your level, so it shouldn't alter the difficulty too much.

If you start at lvl 30 it's quite difficult (but possible) to reach lvl 60 in one go, so if you start at lvl 1 you probably won't get much further than lvl 40 or so.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

This ain't no foolin' around.
I will always remember all the fun we all had in the ME2 thread. I thank you guys for that. Otherwise, the franchise (that I had way too much emotional investment in WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME) is dead and I will remember the good times fondly.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.

DrNutt posted:

Try using Cryo Ammo, especially on the Grissom Academy mission.

On the Cerberus base, I think I had four separate Atlas suits lying around: two hijacked, two fresh ones. Too bad I can't take a single drat one out of the hangar :(

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm going to echo dwazegek's opinion here. Moreover, I think importing a save is worth it for all the plot flags that carry over, especially if you've managed to save most if not all of your crew in ME2. You won't miss out on proper content if you start a new character in ME3, but the game essentially assumes that most people are dead and that a lot of secondary stuff from the previous games basically never happened.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

404GoonNotFound posted:

And you say this just after I blew my credits on a Paladin. WELP!

Oh well, maybe I'll have enough saved up again by the Cerberus Base. Having it be part of literally the first setpiece of the mission helps.

If the stats are similar to MP, the Paladin is essentially a slightly weaker Black Widow. Good for caster classes, pretty "eh" for everyone else, especially if you are worried about cooldowns.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

HoveringCheesecake posted:

If the stats are similar to MP, the Paladin is essentially a slightly weaker Black Widow. Good for caster classes, pretty "eh" for everyone else, especially if you are worried about cooldowns.

Well I'm playing Vanguard, so I usually pack nothing more than a Disciple and a scoped Carnifex to keep my cooldown at around 200% for ABC. No idea how well it'd work on Insanity, but it's so loving fun that I don't care.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Bioware forums are saying that if you want to see all the Extended Cut content you should reload from right before the Cerberus Base. Is that correct?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not necessary. If you choose "Restart Last Mission", you can just play through the final section of the game. It's much quicker.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Also, it may be useful to create a backup of the autosave file that's created (only a spoiler if you haven't completed ME3 or seen its ending at all before) directly after you finish talking with the Catalyst, so that you can quickly reload and try a different option if you like. All the endings are actually substantially different this time, so it's worth watching each.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not necessary. If you choose "Restart Last Mission", you can just play through the final section of the game. It's much quicker.
Thanks. I'm a bit of a completionist though, so could you please put in a spoiler tag what sort of things are added before the final section? I'm willing to replay even through that one boss fight if there's stuff like extra conversations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

You want to start before the run to the beam, they add a new scene during the beam run before Harbinger fries you

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Veotax posted:

You want to start before the run to the beam, they add a new scene during the beam run before Harbinger fries you

Ah, well then I guess if you care about this, you should start back at the Cerberus Base (or a save in between if you have one?). For me it definitely wasn't worth replaying the whole two final sections when what I was interested in was just at the very end.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ah, well then I guess if you care about this, you should start back at the Cerberus Base (or a save in between if you have one?). For me it definitely wasn't worth replaying the whole two final sections when what I was interested in was just at the very end.

If you happen to have a save in London then that's probably the easiest way to experience all the new content.
I also second making a backup of the autosave at the Star Child sequence so you can access all the different endings easily and without the need to go through the long slog and unskippable cutscenes / dialogue in the section before that over and over.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

The Bioware forums are saying that if you want to see all the Extended Cut content you should reload from right before the Cerberus Base. Is that correct?

Youtube it.

It's really not good enough to be worth playing through again. It's still contrived, stupid, and illogical and at least with youtube you can skip the parts you haven't seen. Plus the starchild has new dialogue which makes his presence in the game far, far worse now that you know exactly what their thinking behind it was.

I will never buy another bioware game in my life, not even if they make KOTOR 3 and it gets perfect reviews from everyone and is game of the year four years in a row or some poo poo.

It's been fun guys. The Mass Effect 2 thread and all that it encompassed was great, I remember when we were all young and hopeful and earnest. Those were some great times. I wonder how much gamestop will give me for all three games on trade in...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

STOP MAKING SENSE posted:

I will always remember all the fun we all had in the ME2 thread. I thank you guys for that. Otherwise, the franchise (that I had way too much emotional investment in WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME) is dead and I will remember the good times fondly.

You're a psycho if you think this game didn't cash out all emotional investments. They had payoffs to literally every character's arc, even Shepard's! It seems to me like people don't understand that the entire game is the ending of the story, not the last ten minutes. Every character isn't going to get a two minute video of their death, this isn't Six Feet Under, they all had sendoff sidequests and plotlines to give you closure.

I have to be harsh here. Calling this franchise dead, saying it's ruined, and calling Mass Effect 3 terrible are all huge, unreasonable exaggerations. How can you even have played it and say that? It's such a rich game, with such great characters, such great writing, beautiful locations and genuinely great gameplay. Don't be a moron and whine about how much you hate it just because the last 5 minutes were a little too close to Contact. Especially given how much the game already owes to Contact.

Edit: List of really good things that Goons claim are the New Worst Thing: Mass Effect 3, Prometheus, Diablo 3, Legend of Korra. Each exceptional, each derided for not being what people wish they were. Do nerds have unbelievably high expectations, so insanely high that they're unreachable even by near perfect products?

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 27, 2012

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

You're a psycho if you think this game didn't cash out all emotional investments. They had payoffs to literally every character's arc, even Shepard's! It seems to me like people don't understand that the entire game is the ending of the story, not the last ten minutes. Every character isn't going to get a two minute video of their death, this isn't Six Feet Under, they all had sendoff sidequests and plotlines to give you closure.

I have to be harsh here. Calling this franchise dead, saying it's ruined, and calling Mass Effect 3 terrible are all huge, unreasonable exaggerations. How can you even have played it and say that? It's such a rich game, with such great characters, such great writing, beautiful locations and genuinely great gameplay. Don't be a moron and whine about how much you hate it just because the last 5 minutes were a little too close to Contact. Especially given how much the game already owes to Contact.

Edit: List of really good things that Goons claim are the New Worst Thing: Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Legend of Korra. Each exceptional, each derided for not being what people wish they were. Do nerds have unbelievably high expectations, so insanely high that they're unreachable even by near perfect products?

This is a good post.

Despite my gripes with the ending and they way it was played out, I still maintain that ME3 is about the journey and not necessarily the destination. It definitely is the final chapter in the story and I can't see there being a follow on in any form because "MY CANON :qq:". I felt the characters were best fleshed out in 3 and there was a lot of emotional investment in the entire plot and all the smaller arcs spanning it.

The endings still bug me because I would have liked to have an ME1 style end option where Shepard emerges from the wreckage of hundreds of destroyed Reapers and everyone cheers before a freeze-frame, but realistically that was unfeasable and kind of ramps up the sheer destructive force that is the Harby and co.

I'd be quite happy with prequels or even a parallel storyline as a followup and the message from the team at the end of the EC certainly hints and the universe expanding further.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

scary ghost dog posted:

It seems to me like people don't understand that the entire game is the ending of the story, not the last ten minutes.

That's crap and you should know it.
If it was the end of the story the whole thing would be a giant anti-climatic event, there would be no build up of tension, no problems to be resolved, it wouldn't even be a story on its own right.

It'd be like watching hamlet but you only see the part where everybody kills eachother.
That's what the whole story being the ending would look like, this may be the final part of the story but the whole thing isn't the ending.

The end that people talk about is what's happening after the climax and how the whole over-arching reaper problem finally comes to a conclusion.

The whole story being the ending is ridiculous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not as if all three games (or even each game individually) was one story and that's it, ME3, even before the EC had a ton of running plots resolved; the krogan genophage, the geth conflict, and pretty much every companion's character arc.

I think I made this comparison before, but Mass Effect was not Lost. It wasn't a case of a writer throwing all these mysteries in the air, with everyone getting hooked because "Wow, It's Going To Be Great When Everything Makes Sense!". People got into the first game, despite the horrible mechanics, because they legitimately liked the setting, and characters. It sure as hell wasn't the reaper war storyline that basically consisted of a couple of infodumps with holograms tossed into the last half of the game.

The reaper war was not resolved very well. this is true. but there was a shitload more to the series than the reaper war storyline, and a lot of it was really good. (including the part where Casey "Fuckerlord" Hudson's team took a completely hosed up first game and turned it into one of the tightest, most satisfying action shooters on the market, without sacrificing the setting one bit)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 27, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Juc66 posted:

That's crap and you should know it.
If it was the end of the story the whole thing would be a giant anti-climatic event, there would be no build up of tension, no problems to be resolved, it wouldn't even be a story on its own right.

It'd be like watching hamlet but you only see the part where everybody kills eachother.
That's what the whole story being the ending would look like, this may be the final part of the story but the whole thing isn't the ending.

The end that people talk about is what's happening after the climax and how the whole over-arching reaper problem finally comes to a conclusion.

The whole story being the ending is ridiculous.
This entire post doesn't make sense. It sounds to me like you're saying the end of the story can't be climactic? Honestly this whole post just reads like gibberish to me.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

scary ghost dog posted:

This entire post doesn't make sense. It sounds to me like you're saying the end of the story can't be climactic? Honestly this whole post just reads like gibberish to me.

Yes, I'm saying endings cannot be climactic.
At best the ending starts at the climax and continues through the falling action and denouement, which is to say it's anti-climactic as a whole, you're missing out on the setting up of the conflict and all the rising action used to build tension and excitement.

The main plot of the mass effect series doesn't hit its climax until the last while of Mass Effect 3, so the ending, at best, can't start until then.

Saying all of mass effect 3 is the ending to the mass effect series is bull.

keep in mind I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it, I'm saying that Mass Effect 3 can't be the end because that's not what end means.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
ME3 is obviously the ending to Sheppard's story arc. Pretty evident, and I'm only at the second major planet right now. Doom and gloom all around.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Juc66 posted:

Yes, I'm saying endings cannot be climactic.
At best the ending starts at the climax and continues through the falling action and denouement, which is to say it's anti-climactic as a whole, you're missing out on the setting up of the conflict and all the rising action used to build tension and excitement.

The main plot of the mass effect series doesn't hit its climax until the last while of Mass Effect 3, so the ending, at best, can't start until then.

Saying all of mass effect 3 is the ending to the mass effect series is bull.

keep in mind I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it, I'm saying that Mass Effect 3 can't be the end because that's not what end means.

Whoa, flashbacks to high school English classes! But yeah, you're absolutely correct. Anyone that says the whole game is the ending doesn't understand the underlining formula to how all good stories are constructed. And anyone who says that all good stories don't have to follow that formula is just like the lovely musicians who say "man, I don't NEED to learn music theory, the rules will destroy my ART man."

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

scary ghost dog posted:

Do nerds have unbelievably high expectations, so insanely high that they're unreachable even by near perfect products?

You are way overselling the quality of the new enrings but yes. Yes they are. They always have been and they always will be.

It's probably healthier for the folks mad enough to quit the series forever about this to do so.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Whoa, flashbacks to high school English classes! But yeah, you're absolutely correct. Anyone that says the whole game is the ending doesn't understand the underlining formula to how all good stories are constructed. And anyone who says that all good stories don't have to follow that formula is just like the lovely musicians who say "man, I don't NEED to learn music theory, the rules will destroy my ART man."

Pretty much this.

Liking the endings of ME3 is to liking well developed stories and coherent narratives as liking taco bell is to liking something cooked by Chef Gordon Ramsay.

Sure, Taco bell is food. Hell, plenty of people like it. But it's still taco bell. Yeah, the endings are endings. You can like them if you want, there's not really anything wrong with that, so long as you don't pretend that taco bell is fine dining.

But they didn't promise us taco bell. They promised us that locally owned mexican place that's awesome and somewhat authentic with homemade tortillas and white queso. And then they handed us a chicken baja chalupa and a couple of packets of mild sauce.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Edit: List of really good things that Goons claim are the New Worst Thing: Mass Effect 3, Prometheus, Diablo 3, Legend of Korra. Each exceptional, each derided for not being what people wish they were. Do nerds have unbelievably high expectations, so insanely high that they're unreachable even by near perfect products?

Honestly, I think the successes that people have had with "getting poo poo done" on the internet have led to power abuse. In the old days, we loved games even though they might have had some stuff wrong with them (e.g.: People love Deus Ex and hate Deus Ex HR even though the ends are literally the same thing). And then we get mad about the last five minutes and post 1 star reviews on Amazon for games they won't play because... other people don't like the end? :wtf:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

TheSpiritFox posted:

I will never buy another bioware game in my life, not even if they make KOTOR 3 and it gets perfect reviews from everyone and is game of the year four years in a row or some poo poo.
This is just petty, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TheSpiritFox posted:

But they didn't promise us taco bell. They promised us that locally owned mexican place that's awesome and somewhat authentic with homemade tortillas and white queso. And then they handed us a chicken baja chalupa and a couple of packets of mild sauce.

They never promised that.

• Locked thread