Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2012/6/22/rocket.html

Okay Ardbeg, the promos are getting a little ridiculous... Seen at the shop while contemplating overpriced spirits.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Ardbeg seems to be the new "cool" whisky, especially with their more collector's minded releases like Ardbeg Day and Supernova. I just hope all this hububb doesn't drive prices up for their entry-level spirits. :ohdear:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah Ardbeg has been "cool" and "premium" for a while now and it annoys the crap out of me.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

The Mandingo posted:

I guess what I really want to know is if there are any special drinks that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Are there any 30 year olds in the $100-300 range that are worth picking up for a cliche 30th birthday drink?

My vote would be for a bottle of Tomintoul 33. Its an easy to drink Speyside that pairs well with a nice cigar. (Note if you can only find the 27 in your area, its also fantastic)

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.

The Mandingo posted:

Awesome, a new thread since the last time I read about whiskey. Goons, I am in sore need of advice or a recommendation. I am turning 30 soon and want to get a scotch treat for myself. I have long craved the Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength and have actually found a bottle in stock locally for $99 usd. Plus, the only 30 year old I've seen in any liquor store near me is a Macallan 30, and I'll be damned before I drop $1200 on a bottle.

I guess what I really want to know is if there are any special drinks that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Are there any 30 year olds in the $100-300 range that are worth picking up for a cliche 30th birthday drink? Should I just Grab the Glenfarclas and a couple other bottles to total up to ~$200?

Here's what I've currently got in my cabinet, minus the Balvenie (finished those off a few weekends ago). I'm partial to the Talisker, but have had a lot of Speyside on hand as well.

Edit: I'd also go for a good bourbon or other non-scotch whiskey, so suggest away!

The Glenfarclas 105 is exquisit. ( there is another similar glenfarclas bottling that I prefer, but that one is great.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
So I finally did it - I grabbed the last Laphroaig Cask Strength bottle at the store.

And holy cow. Drinking it without any water is like letting a firework off in your mouth. Huge, sweet peaty explosion with a super long finish. Tapers off to light smoke and wood. I can say I was definitely NOT disappointed. For $60.00, I think this was a real steal. I don't think I've ever had a whisky with a more characteristic flavor.

It might be fun to do a side by side with the little bit of quarter cask I still have left and compare. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
The Costco by me has a bottle of 60 year old Macallan 4th edition in some kind of specially designed crystal decanter.

750 ML, $16,999.99

It's under about 4 inches of plexiglass.

Who buys this poo poo at costco?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I've seen jewelry at Costco for more than that. But yeah you're right, thats the record for something consumable that I've ever heard of.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've seen a €5500 euro Macallan in the liquor section of some small neighbourhood supermarket in Berlin. It wasn't a high-class neighbourhood or anything.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

spankmeister posted:

I've seen a €5500 euro Macallan in the liquor section of some small neighbourhood supermarket in Berlin. It wasn't a high-class neighbourhood or anything.

Our local store has a bottle like that and a sign-up sheet of people who want to contribute to buying it and how much they'll pay. When the total sums to the cost of the bottle, they have a little gathering and share it.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
I'm looking for a bottle of something in the $50-75 range for my uncle's birthday.

His favorite scotch is Macallan 18, and last year I bought him Glenfiddich 15 which he enjoyed. I'm an Islay guy, so I have a bit of trouble picking something out from the less peaty scotches.

Any recommendations?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Aberlour A'Bunadh!!! If he likes the Sherry of the Macallan 18, he'll love the A'Bunadh. Alternately, you could look for Glendronach or Glenfarclas in your range.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My description of Glendronach: Like Macallan, except better.

Aberlour A'Bunadh is a bit too hot in general for me. I prefer the 18yr. I prefer Glendronach 15yr Revival to either of those.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Can anyone recommend a good bourbon? I'd like to try something new, besides my standby of Knob Creek 9-year. I'm open to a scotch suggestion too.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

mr. pastry posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bourbon? I'd like to try something new, besides my standby of Knob Creek 9-year. I'm open to a scotch suggestion too.

What have you tried, and what have you liked? Do you want something "new" that is similar to things you've liked before, or something that is different from them?

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Paramemetic posted:

What have you tried, and what have you liked? Do you want something "new" that is similar to things you've liked before, or something that is different from them?

I haven't really had a whole lot, I'd like to try something a little more different. On the bourbon side, I've had Knob Creek, Jim Beam Black Double Aged, Woodford Reserve, and Makers Mark. Out of those, I liked Knob Creek the best.
As for scotch, I've tried Laphroaig 10 yr and Glenlivet 12. I really liked the Laphroaig.

mailorder bees fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 27, 2012

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mr. pastry posted:

I haven't really had a whole lot, I'd like to try something a little more different. On the bourbon side, I've had Knob Creek, Jim Beam Black Double Aged, Woodford Reserve, and Makers Mark. Out of those, I liked Knob Creek the best.
As for scotch, I've tried Laphroaig 10 yr and Glenlivet 12. I really liked the Laphroaig.

As a first stop on the Scotch train if you like the Laphroaig would be the try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, relatively ease to get and not catastrophically expensive for trying.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mr. pastry posted:

My answer is always Blanton's :). I'd give Four Roses Single Barrel a shot too.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Buffalo Trace for Bourbon. Glenlivet 12 and Highland Park 12 are good places to start for scotch.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

kidsafe posted:

My description of Glendronach: Like Macallan, except better.

Aberlour A'Bunadh is a bit too hot in general for me. I prefer the 18yr. I prefer Glendronach 15yr Revival to either of those.

That's a pretty good description of Glendronach! A'bunadh certainly needs a drop or two of water (I try to measure it down to about 45%).

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

These!

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
I tried the Bowmore 9 year old recently and holy poo poo did I enjoy it, even though my friend said it tasted like antiseptic. What else should I try now? More Islay malts? My experience of whisky boils down to mostly blends like Famous Grouse and Teachers, Glenfiddich (I quite liked the 15 and 18 year when I tried them), and Jura Origin which I enjoyed but found slightly too harsh. Idealy I'd like something that costs less than £40 a bottle but I'll spend more if it comes highly reccommended.

threat level tesco fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Banannah posted:

I tried the Bowmore 9 year old recently and holy poo poo did I enjoy it, even though my friend said it tasted like antiseptic. What else should I try now? More Islay malts? My experience of whisky boils down to mostly blends like Famous Grouse and Teachers, Glenfiddich (I quite liked the 15 and 18 year when I tried them), and Jura Origin which I enjoyed but found slightly too harsh. Idealy I'd like something that costs less than £40 a bottle but I'll spend more if it comes highly reccommended.

If you like Islay and peat, then I have to reccommend Laphroaig 10. It's a cheap(ish) entry level malt that really gets the peat thing down well. If you're willing to spend about $10 more, you can go for Ardbeg 10. It's pretty peaty, but not as blunt as Laphroaig and it's very good too.

Also, Highland Park 12. It's very very good, with a touch of smoke, but a lot of really fruity, honey-ish character. In fact, if you're not 100% sure about peaty stuff, I'd just go with HP. It's a great whisky.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Just had occasion to try a dram of Longrow 14 year Burgundy Expression. An excellent pour! Very smokey, firey even, but in a strange way not much like the peated Islays. The Burgundy only seems to peak through, to me, but I'm told it's readily present. I may have just lost it in the full body. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has occasion to try it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Banannah posted:

As well as the recommendations already posted, I'd like to suggest both Talisker 10 and Springbank 10.

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations! The Highland Park 12 definitely sounds right up my street, and I think my dad has a bottle of Laphroaig I can pilfer for a taste.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

DoctaFun posted:

Thanks for this. I just bought some Blanton's based on this recommendation. Like the other guy, I've been drinking a lot of Knob Creek as my go to, so I wanted to try something else along the same lines. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just wanted to stop in to report that last night at the bar I saw someone order six shots of Glenfiddich 12 year for him and his friends. :wtc:

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

DoctaFun posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I'm gonna pick up a bottle to celebrate my new job.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
I was gifted a bottle of ardbeg 10 and I really can't seem to get past the flavor of burnt bandages, is this common of islay whiskies?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tim0mit posted:

I was gifted a bottle of ardbeg 10 and I really can't seem to get past the flavor of burnt bandages, is this common of islay whiskies?
Yes, and you are less of a man for it.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

My whisk(e)y collection is looking pretty great right now.

Whiskey only from left to right: (there is other booze on this shelf)
Macallan 12
Jefferson Rye
Wooodford Reserve
Leopold Bros small batch
Makers Mark
Ridgemont Reserve 1792
Redbreast 12 year

what else besides Stranahans and Blantons do I need to try?

I have had Buleitt (rye and regular)which I really like, Collingswood (which was ok) and Buffalo Trace (which I thought was super underwhelming).

Of my current selection I think the Redbreast is my favorite for sipping, seconded by the Macallan.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Old Man Pants posted:

what else besides Stranahans and Blantons do I need to try?

Highland Park 12 if you want to try more scotches.

I finally picked up the Laphroaig Quarter Cask yesterday because the price dropped from the insane post-privatization ~$90 to a closer to pre-privitization $63. I was a little afraid that it might be too strong after reading the reviews but I found it to be just right. I also got a kick out of the friends of Laphroaig booklet that was included where you can claim your 1 square foot of land at the distillery.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mikey Purp posted:

Just wanted to stop in to report that last night at the bar I saw someone order six shots of Glenfiddich 12 year for him and his friends. :wtc:
To be fair, Glenfiddich 12 is a $25 bottle here...it was probably the cheapest Scotch of any sort there besides Johnnie Walker Red Label, and a real friend wouldn't order a shot of that for you.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yea, mostly I was just confused as to why anyone would shoot scotch. Ever.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mikey Purp posted:

I honestly don't think it matters...ritual, rite of passage or just a social communion...it's a bunch of friends having fun. If it were Glenfiddich 15 maybe I'd roll my eyes, but Glenfiddich 12 is literally the ground level Scotch whisky from a recognizable name in the US that doesn't taste like turpentine.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 2, 2012

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Well you kinda Pays your money takes your choice kinda thing. There's no right or wrong way to drink whisky, if you want to shoot it, fair enough.

That said I've snorted whisky off someone before, this is definitely a wrong way to consume it though.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Old Man Pants posted:

Whiskey only from left to right: (there is other booze on this shelf)

Is that Chamucos Reposado you have there? I love that tequila.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank

kidsafe posted:

Hazelburn 12 if you can find it and are willing to pay is also a fair mix of sherry sweetness plus heavy wood influence and seaside influence. Old Pulteney as well...it has a reputation for being 'salty,' but it's really not that extreme.

Have you ever tried Hazelburn 8?
Wondering how close it is to the 12. I just picked up a bottle at the store for $62 bucks and the guy working the aisle was raving about it. I am going to try it soon.

*Edit* - It won't be the same, I just saw a review of the 12 which is not finished in the Sauternes Casks like the new 8 is. Check out about 8:10 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhnyjwYT6w4

Allantois fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I tried the Hazelburn 8 and 12 at the last Whisky festival I was at, didn't think it was anything to write home about at all to be honest. It's quite fresh, spicy almost as I remember it. Though that was after sampling a dozen other whiskies so don't take my word for it.