Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Has anyone seen any BT versions of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-USB-K...=item20c7909169

or another case for a 7 inch tablet that incorporates a keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

This is a super dumb question, but is the Nexus 7 powerful enough to go to a site like twitch and livestream without lagging all over the place?

If you're using Twitch's app, yes.

If you're using Flash in a browser, no because Flash is dead. Livestreaming sites are probably going to have to start rolling out their own stream viewer apps, UStream had a really bad one very early on and JTV has a broadcaster with no viewer, wouldn't be surprised if they adapt the Twitch app for it eventually.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The Verge Nexus 7 review is up: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That's a really positive review and the Verge guys never let me down. I'm so close to thinking about picking one of these up. I doubt I will since I have an iPad 3 but since I've been falling back in love with Google lately, who knows.

Quick question, how are the general fonts on the Nexus 7? One of the things I love most about apple is that they don't gently caress around with text, it's always formatted well and clean. My 2.3 phone has an okay general font compared to previous versions but it's still not perfect.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, as I don't keep up with Android stuff, but how long would it be before I could buy a Nexus 7 at a reduced price? iPads have really good resale value, I'm not sure if it's the same for Android tablets...?

I'm heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem, but I'd buy a Nexus 7 if I could get one cheaper than retail price, mostly to use as a Netflix and secondary web surfing device.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hypersleep posted:

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, as I don't keep up with Android stuff, but how long would it be before I could buy a Nexus 7 at a reduced price? iPads have really good resale value, I'm not sure if it's the same for Android tablets...?

I'm heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem, but I'd buy a Nexus 7 if I could get one cheaper than retail price, mostly to use as a Netflix and secondary web surfing device.

It's $200 dude, that's impulse buy money.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So now that the Nexus 7 is official, the rumormill starts again, this time with Nexus 10

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Chas McGill posted:

I'd actually be really interested in seeing what you come up with (design student here) if you do go down that route.

I'm studying towards a BCS degree in Computing and Design myself, one of the reasons I wanted a Nexus is I start the first Java module in October once I'm done with this introduction to design module and Android app basics are one of the assignments for that.

My first prototype phone case didn't work out too well but it was more of a 3D "sketch" using cardboard, velcro and hot glue. It worked fine but fell apart after an hour or so of testing.

I'm still in the ideas phase for the next one at the minute but I'm thinking of doing two designs. A larger protective hard case with an accessory compartment and built in USB adaptor so it can function as a dock. The other, wearable part is likely going to be a pouch hidden inside a flipdown panel/pocket on a tshirt or hoodie. Kinda like those "designer" jeans with the tablet pocket on the leg and a peel away panel, only marginally less stupid looking.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

So now that the Nexus 7 is official, the rumormill starts again, this time with Nexus 10

Ugh I am such a sucker for these rumors especially since the seven inch tablet rumors were 100% true. Now I'm not sure if I should wait. A ten inch nexus slate at 400$ or so would be incredible

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Quick question, how are the general fonts on the Nexus 7? One of the things I love most about apple is that they don't gently caress around with text, it's always formatted well and clean. My 2.3 phone has an okay general font compared to previous versions but it's still not perfect.

with the ICS redesign and now JB, Google has really made their fonts more consistent. They introduced their own new font for Android with ICS which was a massive advancement over the poo poo used in Gingerbread and before. like how the clock numbers were completely different from the rest of the letters (and terribly ugly to boot).

My phone is running ICS and I have noticed no inconsistencies in the fonts throughout the system. At least nothing that would make me remember. The point is that Google has upped their game since Gingerbread in the design department.

There are reviews for ICS and probably some longer ones that are more through for JB that show pretty much every inch of the system, so that's a good way to see what fonts are used and how.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

oxsnard posted:

Ugh I am such a sucker for these rumors especially since the seven inch tablet rumors were 100% true. Now I'm not sure if I should wait. A ten inch nexus slate at 400$ or so would be incredible

gently caress me, already pre-ordered the 7. However, it likely won't have microSD or HDMI so the infinity might still be a better way to go.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

golgo13sf posted:

It's $200 dude, that's impulse buy money.

I don't impulse buy anything, and if I can pick one up in the SA Mart for $150 or whatever in a month then I'd rather do that.

I'll just keep an eye on SA Mart and eBay.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I like that this is really the first reasonably priced (nearly) full-featured device to hit the tablet market in general, and it's too expensive for a crowd used to paying twice as much.

I can only see it being a blunder if ASUS has another supply shortage. If the rest of the industry continues to sit on piles of unsold product refusing to adjust their prices, it could actually work out for Google. The hardware certainly seems like a steal for the price point.

So are microSD and HDMI are both phased out of Googles post 4.0 device plans? It seems like with honeycomb/ICS things like micro-HDMI were supposed to be "certified device" standards or some jazz? It's certainly not ideal, but I guess it just puts them more in line with every other company just trying to make a buck however they can.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

hypersleep posted:

I'll just keep an eye on SA Mart and eBay.

For a 25% prove drop on a just released, much hyped, low margins device? Yeah, you keep your eye out.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

revolther posted:

So are microSD and HDMI are both phased out of Googles post 4.0 device plans?

Best explanation came from one of the Android engineers: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...b-mass-storage/

Also if you really need expandable storage for a desert island trip, remember that Android started natively supporting USB host in HC, so you could always buy a USB OTG cable (like this one) and then plug in a USB thumb drive. Not as graceful as an on device solution, but still worth noting for those who are finding it a deal breaker.

Random youtube example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1H7HRANP4

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Wow, seriously considering getting this now. I'm not even sure how I'd use it but man, I want it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I went ahead and pre-ordered 16gb version of the Nexus 7, but did anyone else in the United States notice that you couldn't pre-order the cover as well?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Optimus Subprime posted:

but did anyone else in the United States notice that you couldn't pre-order the cover as well?

My order did. :confused:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

It just shows "coming soon" for me with a place to sign for e-mail notifications, so I got no clue. https://play.google.com/store/devic...zdfY292ZXIiXQ..

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That's weird. It was definitely available as an accessory on the 27th.

(from my receipt)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I pre-ordered it as well.

Shipping Status Quantity Item Price
Not Shipped 1 Nexus 7 Cover (Dark Grey) $19.99
1 Nexus 7 (8GB) $199.00
Shipping: $13.99
Tax(NJ): $16.31
Total: $249.29

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 29, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Thanks for being my guinea pigs guys, gonna wait for your reviews :D

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
after they ship, post how good the case is. I may just use the free $25 play store credit for the case :v:

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I pre-ordered the 16gb earlier today, and it also said that the case wasn't available at this time, enter email, blah

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Shipping Status Quantity Item Price
Not Shipped 1 Nexus 7 Cover (Dark Grey) $19.99
1 Nexus 7 (8GB) $199.00
Shipping: $13.99
Tax(NJ): $16.31
Total: $249.29
What's the return policy look like?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What's the return policy look like?

Someone already beat you to the joke.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

15 days. Perfect.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks for being my guinea pigs guys, gonna wait for your reviews :D

At $200 it's the perfect stopgap until I invest some :10bux: x 100 into professional Windows 8 tablet to replace my laptop and desktop.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At $200 it's the perfect stopgap until I invest some :10bux: x 100 into professional Windows 8 tablet to replace my laptop and desktop.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm really tired of being spread across two platforms. I like my phone just fine (Epic 4G Touch) and my tablet, but I really like my wife's WP7 device and the Zunes I've had in the past.
Since it seems very likely that there will be several Transformer-like keyboard docks, I'm excited for the release of the Surface (WinRT) tablets and WP8 phones. I'll have to switch carriers because Sprint can't get Apple's dick out of its mouth long enough to consider any more WP7/8 phones and have hinted that they aren't interested. I guess I can understand, the carrier subsidies required by Apple are supposedly pretty steep.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
You could just do an Android phone and a Chromebook :D

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I noticed in the verge review that apparently landscape mode for the home screen is no longer available in jellybean?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is my plan as well. I'm actually thinking of selling my iPad and getting the 7 to use until the Surface comes out. Then I'll sell the 7 and a bunch of other poo poo laying around my house to finance the Surface. Gonna keep my Macbook though.

I'm still debating on the 8/16 version. I may just save the $50 and get the entry level model + case.

It's too cheap not to jump in, especially since I have a shitload of purchased Android apps to use on it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

I noticed in the verge review that apparently landscape mode for the home screen is no longer available in jellybean?

Yeah, this seemed lovely, since I think I'd prefer to use it in landscape the majority of the time, but I'm sure it'll be made possible by a 3rd party launcher.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I was interested in Galaxy Note 10.1, but seen as that is never going to come out, and will likely cost $500 dollars, the 7 is the better, and more available choice.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

XIII posted:

Yeah, this seemed lovely, since I think I'd prefer to use it in landscape the majority of the time, but I'm sure it'll be made possible by a 3rd party launcher.

It seems doubly odd for a device from Asus, since it doesn't make much sense for a device like the Transformer series not to support a landscape resolution.

I think it's more likely a choice specifically for the Nexus tablet, and not necessarily a JB "feature"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Octopode posted:

It seems doubly odd for a device from Asus, since it doesn't make much sense for a device like the Transformer series not to support a landscape resolution.

I think it's more likely a choice specifically for the Nexus tablet, and not necessarily a JB "feature"

I'd hope that some of the tablet ICS > JB changes are targeted specifically at the 7" or smaller screen size.

I have a 10" ICS tablet and I don't think the launcher and bottom bar changes make a lot of sense at that size, especially the lack of landscape home and horizontally centered soft buttons down in the bottom bar. Actually I'mm not even sure the phone style top notification shade is an improvement but I'd have to use it myself to decide on that one.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Android team specifically said during the fireside chat Q&A that 10" tablets will still have the system bar, not the setup used on the Nexus 7.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

revolther posted:

I like that this is really the first reasonably priced (nearly) full-featured device to hit the tablet market in general, and it's too expensive for a crowd used to paying twice as much.

I can only see it being a blunder if ASUS has another supply shortage. If the rest of the industry continues to sit on piles of unsold product refusing to adjust their prices, it could actually work out for Google. The hardware certainly seems like a steal for the price point.

So are microSD and HDMI are both phased out of Googles post 4.0 device plans? It seems like with honeycomb/ICS things like micro-HDMI were supposed to be "certified device" standards or some jazz? It's certainly not ideal, but I guess it just puts them more in line with every other company just trying to make a buck however they can.
The hardware is a steal, it's being sold for cost basically. Google is trying to gut their hardware partners.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

The hardware is a steal, it's being sold for cost basically. Google is trying to gut their hardware partners.
Yes, totally gutting their hardware partners. By selling the device for exactly the price their hardware partner was planning to sell it for.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

The hardware is a steal, it's being sold for cost basically.

ASUS aren't selling it at a loss. Google "sell through" all of their reference devices, its a split where the OEM gets the hardware profit and Google get complete control of the experience. It seems Google's long term plan to offset the cost of doing this to themselves is to make a profit off self-made Nexus-branded hardware accessories and marketing them alongside (though their first attempt at this has a very foggy value proposition).

quote:

Google is trying to gut their hardware partners.

They're trying kick to the tablet app ecosystem out of life support. Marco Arment put it aptly:

quote:

Developers are heavily swayed by three factors when deciding which platforms to develop for:
  1. Which platforms do we use ourselves?
  2. Which platforms have large installed bases?
  3. Which platforms will be profitable to develop for?

By solving 1 and 2, they'll get increased tablet app support which in turn increases the value of all Android tablets. Its an attempt to short-circuit the "no market for tablet apps due to no tablets, no market for tablets due to no tablet apps" chicken/egg problem they've got going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
http://www.merimobiles.com/Window_N101_Dual_Core_RK3066_10_1_IPS_bluetooth_p/meri4799.htm

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't take a punt on this? Or a device of its ilk. I've read and watched decent enough reviews for its predecessor with a lower resolution screen, but I'm fairly ignorant about tablets at this point and there must be something absolutely glaring I'm overlooking. Interesting to note that looking at reviews generally for these Chinese tablets, build quality is actually praised, which I thought would be appalling.

I've been incredibly curious about picking up a tablet recently, but I want something to ease me in before paying for a premium product, as I'm just not 100% convinced I would have a daily use for it, despite my gadget hungry brain trying to convince me otherwise.

Buying a cheap droid tablet like the above seems ideal, but at the same time, I don't want to piss my money down the drain on absolute rubbish. Fairly concerned there may be alot of shill reviews out there.

My only requirement is the 10" screen, I can't see anything smaller being worth it, which is a shame as the Nexus 7 looks gorgeous.

Captain Cancer fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 30, 2012