Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Naky posted:

Walk up to the back of the truck on the edge of the cliff?

South of Cottonwood Cove is Cottonwood Overlook. At the edge of the cliff is a truck. If you go up to the back of the truck, you can open the door with 50 in lockpicking. Then start picking off the stragglers in the camp after everyone that's going to die dies.

Also, I just waltzed through the Fort with a badass gauss rifle, plugging Legionaries left and right, then went up to Caesar's tent, left Boone and ED-E outside, pumped myself full of Jet, Med-X, stims, and Rushing Water, and whacked everyone inside to death with my inversal axe. God, that's loving satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I got my friend to start playing NV and after giving her a tutorial on it she started to really enjoy it. She immediately started to kill for star bottle caps. She tried to sell items she had just stolen back to their owner. A true fallout player.

I have started to play again, with the intention of playing through the DLCs. I was playing with energy weapons, but they just don't grab me as much as guns for some reason so I started over. I think it might be the lack of SMGs.

Some questions for Ropekid. How were the songs used in the game picked? They all just sound so perfect for the setting.

Also, when the game first came out the nightstalkers were invisible right?

Finally, was the accuracy of weapons using iron sights changed? I remember being able to hit targets very far away with the varmint rifle, but now the range seems shorter.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've beaten New Vegas a countless amount of times and have yet to do anything with the Blue Star Bottle caps. Can anyone tell me if the Festus guy actually exists, how many caps you need, and the general direction of where he is on the map? Not the exact location, otherwise I would just check out the wiki.

Basically, I want a hint without actually spoiling it.

VV Thank you, computer parts.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 30, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've beaten New Vegas a countless amount of times and have yet to do anything with the Blue Star Bottle caps. Can anyone tell me if the Festus guy actually exists, how many caps you need, and the general direction of where he is on the map? Not the exact location, otherwise I would just check out the wiki.

Basically, I want a hint without actually spoiling it.

There's a location called the Sunset Sasparilla Headquarters, located somewhere near Camp McCarran (sorta on the highway west of it). It'll answer all of your questions when you get to it.

e: if you do some quests for the Crimson Caravan Company they'll eventually tell you to go over there. (but not for the star caps)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ace_beef posted:

I got my friend to start playing NV and after giving her a tutorial on it she started to really enjoy it. She immediately started to kill for star bottle caps. She tried to sell items she had just stolen back to their owner. A true fallout player.

I have started to play again, with the intention of playing through the DLCs. I was playing with energy weapons, but they just don't grab me as much as guns for some reason so I started over. I think it might be the lack of SMGs.

Some questions for Ropekid. How were the songs used in the game picked? They all just sound so perfect for the setting.

Also, when the game first came out the nightstalkers were invisible right?

Finally, was the accuracy of weapons using iron sights changed? I remember being able to hit targets very far away with the varmint rifle, but now the range seems shorter.

For energy SMGs, you can use the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha or whatever that GRA recharger pistol is. It fires nonstop. Unlimited ammo. Imagine the possiblities!

Also, you have the laser RCW. I have 100 in energy weapons and I can put down prime and veteran legionaries in under two seconds with focused fire on their puny skulls.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
True, the laser RCW is nice. Sure I love the sound when people disintegrate, but somehow it just isn't as satisfying as using a shotgun to send someone flying.

I do like how energy weapons are actually viable to use from the start of the game.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ace_beef posted:

True, the laser RCW is nice. Sure I love the sound when people disintegrate, but somehow it just isn't as satisfying as using a shotgun to send someone flying.

I do like how energy weapons are actually viable to use from the start of the game.

Only reason I went energy this run is because that little personality test tagged it and gave me 33 starting...so I figure what the crap, might as well.

I love it more than guns.

EDIT: Y'know, reading the other 200 pages of this thread, I hit a realization...I hate to think what Boone does with himself at the Lucky 38 while I'm gallavanting wherever the gently caress I'm going without him. I have enough alcohol stashed in that place to kill Gabriel Iglesias's fat rear end, along with chems and food stuffed in the fridge and ED-E. I don't know if Boone drinks, but waiting on me sure has to get boring and he's probably eyed my 30 bottles of whiskey more than once.

Also, why doesn't drinking a pint of whiskey give you the empty bottle back? I like making wasteland loving tequila, dammit!

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ace_beef posted:

But their scarce mid to end-game availability is what made them so cool and special in FO1 and 2 :qq:. (only half not-serious).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Legendary bloatfly dead? Check.

52 bloatfly meat off his corpse? Check.

42 salient green from my last visit to the Sink? Check.

Now I visit a campfire, clone my prickly pear fruit, and put together 20 bloatfly sliders and 3 caravan lunches. Enough food for a couple weeks :v:

I sure hope the whole legendary bloatfly/salient green to prickly pear fruit, endless sliders thing was thought of. If so, hats off to Obsidian because that is just a boon to hardcore when I've been scrambling for food and water, even resorting to stealing all the empty bottles and food from near Silus's cell in McCarran.

While the guard was looking directly at my sneaking self :D

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Rinkles posted:

But their scarce mid to end-game availability is what made them so cool and special in FO1 and 2 :qq:. (only half not-serious).

JE Sawyer would be the man you want to blame for this. According to his blog, he was the one who was big on the idea that all skills should be equally useful from beginning to end (hence why Big Guns was cut).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any gender locked in/out quests? The legion wont let me fight in the arena with my female melee stomper but I havent encountered any others.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

D34THROW posted:

Also, why doesn't drinking a pint of whiskey give you the empty bottle back? I like making wasteland loving tequila, dammit!

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39319

There's also mods for giving you [USED] versions of skill books and magazines back once you've read them, if you really want more dead weight to carry around. I'm not sure of what this mod designer means by "vodka and beer bottles" though, might be new items he made.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anybody ever had their guns get really inaccurate? I'm rolling around with 100 in Guns and my Hunting Rifle seems to shoot about 5-10 degrees above the crosshair. My other guns work fine, but the Hunting Rifle suddenly can't hit poo poo at range, and pointing it at the head of a Fiend ten feet away and pulling the trigger resulted in a complete miss!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Pope Guilty posted:

Anybody ever had their guns get really inaccurate? I'm rolling around with 100 in Guns and my Hunting Rifle seems to shoot about 5-10 degrees above the crosshair. My other guns work fine, but the Hunting Rifle suddenly can't hit poo poo at range, and pointing it at the head of a Fiend ten feet away and pulling the trigger resulted in a complete miss!

Do you meet the 6 str req for Hunting Rifles? That can impact accuracy as well as skill. Rifle seem to vary a lot in str reqs, from like 3 to 8 depending on the model.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

massive spider posted:

Are there any gender locked in/out quests? The legion wont let me fight in the arena with my female melee stomper but I havent encountered any others.

I think that's it. Mostly gender only comes into play with the Legion if I remember correctly. I haven't run across anything other than the Arena where being a man or woman matters.

What DOES matter is the...sexuality perks, I guess you'd call 'em. Those provide access to unique dialogue choices and ways to finish quests.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

D34THROW posted:

I think that's it. Mostly gender only comes into play with the Legion if I remember correctly. I haven't run across anything other than the Arena where being a man or woman matters.

What DOES matter is the...sexuality perks, I guess you'd call 'em. Those provide access to unique dialogue choices and ways to finish quests.

Yeah every playthrough I've done has been with a Confirmed Bachelor character and Arcade at his side :swoon:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kalos posted:

JE Sawyer would be the man you want to blame for this. According to his blog, he was the one who was big on the idea that all skills should be equally useful from beginning to end (hence why Big Guns was cut).

Yeah I know, I read that post and am somewhat familiar with his proposed changes to SPECIAL with Van Buren. The weapon skills in the originals were a bit of a mess (Small Guns being the superior ranged combat skill in virtually every aspect at every stage of the game) but I loved the Old World mystique of Energy Weapons. But, yes, the skill had a late payoff and it was rather unremarkable at that.

Rather than making EWs and their ammo ubiquitous (which doesn't seems quite canonical, and diminishes their "coolness"), perhaps the EW skill could be merged with Science (to avoid having a useless early-game point sink) and some of the better EWs would have an additional Guns requirement (i.e., in addition to Science) to avoid making the Science skill too powerful.

I tried looking up how EWs were meant to work in Van Buren just now (there was to be only a single "Firearms" skill to cover all(?) ranged weapons), but there's rather little information on them on the wiki/NMA.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

The Hunting Rifle has a sight problem where the model may not actually aim where the gun will actually hit. There's a couple model fixes for this, but since the problem is with the animation and not the gun it's not a 100% fix.

mesokilo
Feb 17, 2011
Is the achievement progress counted across different playthroughs? Like if I win 10 caravan games with one character and 20 with another, do I get the Caravan Master?

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

mesokilo posted:

Is the achievement progress counted across different playthroughs? Like if I win 10 caravan games with one character and 20 with another, do I get the Caravan Master?

No.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Well, now that pisses me off. I do all this nice work for Captain Parker, finding out where some people disappeared to and cracking open a drug and gambling ring, and he responds by pumping the head of the ring full of lead solely for an insult. gently caress that noise, I should be able to kill YOU now for committing murder because, you know, all crimes in the Mojave are punished by death.

*sigh* I guess I'll settle for a sneak Gauss shot to the skull...goodbye, Captain Prickwad.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I know, I read that post and am somewhat familiar with his proposed changes to SPECIAL with Van Buren. The weapon skills in the originals were a bit of a mess (Small Guns being the superior ranged combat skill in virtually every aspect at every stage of the game) but I loved the Old World mystique of Energy Weapons. But, yes, the skill had a late payoff and it was rather unremarkable at that.

Rather than making EWs and their ammo ubiquitous (which doesn't seems quite canonical, and diminishes their "coolness"), perhaps the EW skill could be merged with Science (to avoid having a useless early-game point sink) and some of the better EWs would have an additional Guns requirement (i.e., in addition to Science) to avoid making the Science skill too powerful.

I tried looking up how EWs were meant to work in Van Buren just now (there was to be only a single "Firearms" skill to cover all(?) ranged weapons), but there's rather little information on them on the wiki/NMA.

I think Rope Kid posted some things about how if energy weapons were going to be a step above guns that it would make the most sense to have proficiency determined by a combination of guns and science as opposed to having a skill all its own that is completely useless in the early game.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Infanticide posted:

I think Rope Kid posted some things about how if energy weapons were going to be a step above guns that it would make the most sense to have proficiency determined by a combination of guns and science as opposed to having a skill all its own that is completely useless in the early game.

That would actually be fairly awesome. Science has always been a little underused compared to lockpick. The preferable alternative would be to have it see greater use through dialog, but this application would be easier to implement.

Although, the rest of the skills would have to be rebalanced to go along with that.

Survival could influence detection for Demolition checks.

On the other hand, I'd prefer if they didn't simply conflate most skills. It becomes much more difficult to differentiate characters. I suppose that could be compensated by decreasing skill point gain and adding powerful perks. Food for thought.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

On the other hand, I'd prefer if they didn't simply conflate most skills.

Yes, that's a problem. SPECIAL's a la carte, hands off approach could lead to some frankensteinian character builds (e.g., 1 Intelligence idiot savants with 100+ in both Speech and Science, although in practice the skills would be mostly bottlenecked by the low Int) but it was the player's mistake choice to make.

I still think some limited degree of skill synergizing might be interesting.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Rinkles posted:

Yes, that's a problem. SPECIAL's a la carte, hands off approach could lead to some frankensteinian character builds (e.g., 1 Intelligence idiot savants with 100+ in both Speech and Science, although in practice the skills would be mostly bottlenecked by the low Int) but it was the player's mistake choice to make.

Fantastic sans the high Science?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

Fantastic sans the high Science?

Sans the high speech. Basically.

(His actual intelligence is 6, :spergin:)

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Rinkles posted:

The way I saw it, he's not stupid, he's just decided it'd benefit him more to direct his mind toward tricking his way into jobs, rather than spending the time to learn the things necessary for those jobs. Only this time, he took on something he can't bluff his way through.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rinkles posted:

Sans the high speech. Basically.

He has the best line in the game.

"They asked for someone with a degree in theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. and here I am."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

computer parts posted:

He has the best line in the game.

"They asked for someone with a degree in theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. and here I am."

I used to have a screenshot folder with NV's writing triumphs, but I lost them in a system re-install.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So I was visiting Camp McCarran and I ran into this Frumentarius...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pope Guilty posted:

So I was visiting Camp McCarran and I ran into this Frumentarius...

Did you sell him that armour? His default is rubbish so if you sell him better stuff he'll wear it, faction-aligned or not. I've had him wearing Brotherhood armour before.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, I sold him all that kid. Didn't expect him to equip the lance.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Offscreen, Hsu scratches his head and wonders who could be leaking military secrets to the Legion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Since we're posting screenshots, Chomps should explain what those two gentlemen in the background are doing...

Also, this is my single favorite quote in the entire game. I can't help but think it's directed at the players who mash the "X" button, ignoring dialogue and then getting angry when the compass marker isn't exactly where they need to be.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also, this is my single favorite quote in the entire game. I can't help but think it's directed at the players who mash the "X" button, ignoring dialogue and then getting angry when the compass marker isn't exactly where they need to be.

I loved that whole speech, because I can't imagine a more effective way to make me explore every last nook and cranny in the entire DLC.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Dear black star bottle cap guy,

I hope you didn't expect to come running up on a guy in riot gear toting a rusty gauss rifle, tell me that the star caps are valuable and you're a collector, and NOT get your torso forcibly detached from your limbs and blown 50 feet backwards.

Thanks for the star caps though!

Yours,
Christian Grey

Dude scared the poo poo out of me too. I was not expecting to be forced into dialogue outside the South Vegas Ruins on my way to off Violet and her pack of mutts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

D34THROW posted:

I hope you didn't expect to come running up on a guy in riot gear toting a rusty gauss rifle, tell me that the star caps are valuable and you're a collector, and NOT get your torso forcibly detached from your limbs and blown 50 feet backwards.

Yours,
Christian Grey

Dude scared the poo poo out of me too. I was not expecting to be forced into dialogue outside the South Vegas Ruins on my way to off Violet and her pack of mutts.

He sure waited a long loving time to talk to you!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Just a bit of off the cuff math, but how about separating out skill points from intelligence, and just giving everybody a flat amount of level up points to use when they level up? But the cost to raise skills is balanced by SPECIAL.

For example, let's say that somebody makes a 10 Str/1 int character. Once they level up, it only costs one point of leveling points to raise their melee skill by one point, but it costs 20 leveling points to raise science by 1 point. On the flip side, 10 int characters can level up science and energy weapons cheap, but putting points into melee and unarmed is expensive.

As is, the current system makes it easier for a poindexter with 10 int to hit 100 in melee or unarmed easier than some dumb brute who could actually use those skills.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 1, 2012

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

D34THROW posted:

Yours,
Christian Grey

My favorite experience with him wasn't really with him. Tooling around outside goodsprings and I hear several loud explosions nearby. I investigate and it turns out he decided to make a b-line towards me through powder ganger camp, trigger their powder charges and taking the three of them to an early grave. Looted their bodies and was spared an annoying conversation ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

graynull posted:

My favorite experience with him wasn't really with him. Tooling around outside goodsprings and I hear several loud explosions nearby. I investigate and it turns out he decided to make a b-line towards me through powder ganger camp, trigger their powder charges and taking the three of them to an early grave. Looted their bodies and was spared an annoying conversation ninja.

I swear, that guy has to be the most common source of hilarious emergent situations in the game. I don't know how many times I've woken up and he was standing there...watching...for who knows how many hours...