Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I want to join the current iteration of Firefox, but I have now spent a couple of hours fighting to make things work instead of getting work done.

I know it's free and it's open source, but seriously why not just fix the security holes and stop changing things around? There's a degree of ego in making people have to be conscious of the tool instead of letting them just keep getting stuff done, that is annoying.

I figured out how to restore the status bar, but why take it out? A fair number of extensions (the reason people use Firefox) require the status bar to use them Tanking out the status bar makes them inaccessible.

Firefox no longer warns before quitting. Other programs just make this a check box in Preferences, but firefox has always needed some kind of weird voodoo to do this simple thing, and the voodoo that worked in 3.6.4 does not work in 12.

The original reason I never upgraded to Firefox 4: the decision to randomly throw favicons into the bookmarks bar. Why randomly change the UI? Just like the status bar, there's an annoying amount of ego displayed by changing things so that people have to mess with things just to keep them the same.

I guess this is why they keep trending down in market share. Making the same weird decisions that Netscape did in changing the UI and feature bloat instead of hammering the code to make it strong and lean.

Back to 3.6.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe firefox just isn't for you :shrug:?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

kapalama posted:

I know it's free and it's open source, but seriously why not just fix the security holes and stop changing things around?
Because, by this logic, Firefox 16 would look like this:

And hey, maybe that's what you personally want, but I don't think that goes for most people.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dodoman posted:

Maybe firefox just isn't for you :shrug:?

3.6.4 is though.

The only logic is which changing UI elements which are functional, for simply design reasons is the logic the says computers are toys not tools.

There is a reason why Apple is such an admired company. When they make design changes they are thought of in terms of function, first and foremost, and then they make them sexy.

Mozilla has made layout changes in Firefox for no particular reason, which is silly. Not to mention adding favicons into the bookmarks menu is a step backwards in any book. The browser took a quick trip back to GeoCities to say hi it looks like.

It's worth thinking about why FIrefox is losing market share. They keep making non-functional design changes without fixing the memory leaks which have plagued FF forever, and without fixing security holes. Security holes are fixed when the products flaws are fixed not when a new product is put out in its place with its own set of security flaws.

That's why Apple overtook MS in market cap, because Vista was a slow pile of 'eye candy'. Function has to matter over form, especially for a browser.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

xamphear posted:

And hey, maybe that's what you personally want, but I don't think that goes for most people.

Actually most people are going to gone from Firefox by 16, if trends continue. It's not like 'pleasing the masses' with random design changes is working.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Yes, you don't like the changes, therefore no one does and they are done at random.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

kapalama posted:

Mozilla has made layout changes in Firefox for no particular reason, which is silly. Not to mention adding favicons into the bookmarks menu is a step backwards in any book. The browser took a quick trip back to GeoCities to say hi it looks like.

See, you say this, but Firefox on my Ubuntu Unity desktop takes up less space than ever. That means I get to see more of what I actually want, which is great!
If anything, Mozilla is removing the extra poo poo that people rarely use.
I never realized how clunky the 3.x UI was until I had to use it on someone elses system and hated it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I like the favicons on the bookmark bar :smith:.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dodoman posted:

I like the favicons on the bookmark bar :smith:.

So do I. I use Roomy Bookmarks Bar to compress my bookmarks bar down to nothing but favicons until mouseover. Super convenient.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kapalama posted:

It's worth thinking about why FIrefox is losing market share. They keep making non-functional design changes without fixing the memory leaks which have plagued FF forever, and without fixing security holes. Security holes are fixed when the products flaws are fixed not when a new product is put out in its place with its own set of security flaws.

Everything I've seen has Firefox being basically stable for the past year or so, could you provide charts that say otherwise?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

kapalama posted:

3.6.4 is though.

The only logic is which changing UI elements which are functional, for simply design reasons is the logic the says computers are toys not tools.

There is a reason why Apple is such an admired company. When they make design changes they are thought of in terms of function, first and foremost, and then they make them sexy.

That's why Apple overtook MS in market cap, because Vista was a slow pile of 'eye candy'. Function has to matter over form, especially for a browser.

I have to chip in here because most of this is a big pile of bollocks.

1. Apple's design choices are often form over function. The hockey puck mouse, the lack of hardware volume controls on the 1st gen iPod touch, the iPod shuffle with no buttons at all... I don't want to derail (even bringing Apple into the discussion is stupid in the first place - IMO) but attributing Apple's success to this is nonsense.
2..Firefox 3.6.28 is the last release of the 3.6 era to have security updates, not 3.6.4.
3. Since last summer, Mozilla has had an ongoing "MemShrink" project whose purpose is to reduce Firefox memory leaks. Firefox often now comes in with lowest memory usage of all major browsers.
4. Mozilla has a good record on fixing security holes, sometimes within 24 hours if they are known to be actively exploited.
5. Vista responsible for Apple's market cap? :psyboom:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. Apple's design choices are often form over function.

Nothing truer. Why iPad and iPhone don't have microSD slots is beyond any reasonable design decision, and has made every other manufacturer think it's fine to charge you $50 for 8GB of flash because you can't add it yourself. gently caress this practice.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am being a whiny baby. Sorry thread of helpful people I have unintentionally offended. I got caught up in tryint to make FIrefox work the way I wanted, and missed a dealine that will cost me a couple hundred dollars because I could not restore my old profile in time.

I really want to get updated, but I cannot lose productivity while I figure out how to get everything up to speed. Or I just need to pat atttention to the time better, or work it out on the backup computer first.

Anyway.

1. Status Bar 4Evar takes care of the status bar.

2. Is there a way to have disclosure triangles for folders of bookmarks, and text only for the links in the bookmarks menu?

3. What are the steps to set it so that I cannot accidentally quit Firefox. The old ones were

quote:

browser.tabs.warnOnClose

browser.warnOnRestart

browser.warnOnQuit

All those are true, and then set prefs when Firefox starts, show my home page. And NEVER set the check box in the resulting dialog box to true.

But they make no difference now. (Chastened and embarassed by his outburst.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 30, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't know, but I use Tab Mix Plus, and it has an option "Do not close window when closing last tab" which I use.

Again, I don't pay too much attention the default options, but Roomy Bookmarks Bar which I use JUST to show favicons can be coerced into showing just text.

I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion, but this is the stuff I have in my browser anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Everything I've seen has Firefox being basically stable for the past year or so, could you provide charts that say otherwise?

Yeah it's been 20% +/- 2% for going on 8 years now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Nothing truer. Why iPad and iPhone don't have microSD slots is beyond any reasonable design decision, and has made every other manufacturer think it's fine to charge you $50 for 8GB of flash because you can't add it yourself. gently caress this practice.

Because a microSD slot occupies more space and uses more power than NAND flash soldered to the main board.

For the past couple years they've been trying to kill off SIM cards entirely for exactly this reason.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Because a microSD slot occupies more space and uses more power than NAND flash soldered to the main board.

For the past couple years they've been trying to kill off SIM cards entirely for exactly this reason.

MicroSD occupies space.. Yeah, barely any.. uses more power? Really? Apple has recently stuck insane resolution panels in their devices and had to uprate the battery big time. You honestly are trying to make an excuse based on power consumption against microSD? Give me a break.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 30, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No, mostly just the space consumption.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know, but I use Tab Mix Plus, and it has an option "Do not close window when closing last tab" which I use.

Again, I don't pay too much attention the default options, but Roomy Bookmarks Bar which I use JUST to show favicons can be coerced into showing just text.

I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion, but this is the stuff I have in my browser anyway.

Thanks for these!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kapalama posted:

Thanks for these!
While you're at it, take a look at Menu Editor and Personal Menu for stripping the crud out of context menus and the Firefox button menu, since you're such a stickler for a functional interface.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

kapalama posted:

3. What are the steps to set it so that I cannot accidentally quit Firefox. The old ones were
But they make no difference now. (Chastened and embarassed by his outburst.)

I believe it's browser.showQuitWarning

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I believe it's browser.showQuitWarning

I love you.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've been having these irritating "An error has occurred. Please try again later." errors on 90% of youtube videos the past few days, and I thought I'd report that I solved it by going into the Privacy options in Firefox and deleting all cookies from Youtube.com.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Long and short: I'd like no Add-on bar and running Lion, so I think I'm just poo poo out of luck. I think the next step is to just reinstall on all machines one by one. Regardless, sorry it took a bit to get back to you guys, and thanks for the help!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

pipes! posted:

Long and short: I'd like no Add-on bar and running Lion, so I think I'm just poo poo out of luck. I think the next step is to just reinstall on all machines one by one. Regardless, sorry it took a bit to get back to you guys, and thanks for the help!

Have you tried resetting your profile (Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox)? That should keep your history, bookmarks, password, etc, but wipe out all your extensions and start you fresh. Then you can reinstall the extensions you need, and hopefully it'll work.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Have you tried resetting your profile (Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox)? That should keep your history, bookmarks, password, etc, but wipe out all your extensions and start you fresh. Then you can reinstall the extensions you need, and hopefully it'll work.

Yup. I am edgecase, hear me roar :saddowns:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Firefox gurus, help! Recently youtube just plain doesn't work in firefox any more. Flash says it is up to date and noScript/ABP aren't stopping them. What the butts is going on? Everything works fine in Chrome but I'm trying to develop web apps for multiple browsers and I'm running into problems that I think are being caused specifically by my messed up firefox because they don't happen on my work computer.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

Firefox gurus, help! Recently youtube just plain doesn't work in firefox any more. Flash says it is up to date and noScript/ABP aren't stopping them. What the butts is going on? Everything works fine in Chrome but I'm trying to develop web apps for multiple browsers and I'm running into problems that I think are being caused specifically by my messed up firefox because they don't happen on my work computer.

refresh your profile, Note down your extensions/ addons as the reset button will restore everything but your extensions / addons.

Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox

if that doesn't work then un-install flash. Restart and then grab the latest flash version and install.

also are you sure you haven't accidently disabled flash related option via noScript / ABP?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

xamphear posted:

There's something to be said for nostalgia. I really like the Mozilla throbber, but I know it's useless.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No idea if this is common but I can't remember it happening before 13, now after I've had FF open for long durations all video watching starts to stutter. I can close FF and reopen but it doesn't fix it, I'll have to restart the whole PC. I've tried updating flash, etc and nothing fixes it. Works fine in IE.

Is this something new or do I need to just suck it up and reboot my PC like a man?

(Long durations = 8+ hours)

298298 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 3, 2012

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

pipes! posted:

Yup. I am edgecase, hear me roar :saddowns:

Well then, much as I hate to suggest it, you can hide the add-on bar by adding the following to userChrome.css:

code:
#addon-bar {
  display: none !important;
}

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

298298 posted:

No idea if this is common but I can't remember it happening before 13, now after I've had FF open for long durations all video watching starts to stutter. I can close FF and reopen but it doesn't fix it, I'll have to restart the whole PC. I've tried updating flash, etc and nothing fixes it. Works fine in IE.

Is this something new or do I need to just suck it up and reboot my PC like a man?

Have the latest graphics drivers?

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fangs404 posted:

Have the latest graphics drivers?

Yep. I've even completely reinstalled windows (7 64-bit). Tried uninstalling/reinstalling flash, java, everything. It only does it in FF, I can open IE side by side and IE's video works fine, but any FF video from any website will stutter every few seconds.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Anyone else having significant problems with Firefox? I pretty much can't open pages with more than a couple of videos or imbedded images in it without Firefox crashing. SA, especially threads in PYF, is constantly crashing. Sites like Jalopnik also crash on a regular basis.

I've tried resetting Firefox, updating flash, refreshing/deleting profiles, disabling add-ons, running in safe mode, reinstalling Firefox. Also made sure my audio and video drivers are up-to-date. I've submitted enough crash reports to write a novel.

And it's not just one PC, it's on all 3 of my PCs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

298298 posted:

Yep. I've even completely reinstalled windows (7 64-bit). Tried uninstalling/reinstalling flash, java, everything. It only does it in FF, I can open IE side by side and IE's video works fine, but any FF video from any website will stutter every few seconds.
That's bizarre, I don't see similar behavior. My only suggestion would be to see if disabling Protected Mode in Flash fixes it (search for "protected" on this and the previous pages).

Goober Peas posted:

Anyone else having significant problems with Firefox? I pretty much can't open pages with more than a couple of videos or imbedded images in it without Firefox crashing. SA, especially threads in PYF, is constantly crashing. Sites like Jalopnik also crash on a regular basis.
Ditto this, I don't see similar behavior, and there's definitely no way this would happen with embedded images that aren't using Flash. There are known issues with the current version of Flash, so as above try disabling Protected Mode to see if this helps. It reduces security, but it's better than falling back to an older version of Flash.

Sir Juan
May 5, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I've tried resetting Firefox, updating flash, refreshing/deleting profiles, disabling add-ons, running in safe mode, reinstalling Firefox. Also made sure my audio and video drivers are up-to-date. I've submitted enough crash reports to write a novel.

And it's not just one PC, it's on all 3 of my PCs.

This is happening to me as well, pages with embedded videos are laggy or crash as well as some Youtube videos, but not all of them. I formatted my PC and installed an SSD over the weekend and it started happening after that. I figured that I was missing some plugin but maybe not then. Chrome works fine.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well then, much as I hate to suggest it, you can hide the add-on bar by adding the following to userChrome.css:

code:
#addon-bar {
  display: none !important;
}

poo poo and goddamn, this works. Thank you so much!

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

298298 posted:

I am having roughly the same behavior with Firefox 13 in both Windows and Linux, except that restarting Firefox seems to fix it (for a while). I've started systematiclly disabling addons to see if one makes a difference (abp, noscript, garmin uploader, tab mix plus) but since restarting does clear it up for me it's a slow process.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Alereon posted:

That's bizarre, I don't see similar behavior. My only suggestion would be to see if disabling Protected Mode in Flash fixes it (search for "protected" on this and the previous pages).
Ditto this, I don't see similar behavior, and there's definitely no way this would happen with embedded images that aren't using Flash. There are known issues with the current version of Flash, so as above try disabling Protected Mode to see if this helps. It reduces security, but it's better than falling back to an older version of Flash.

Disabling Protected Mode helped a little bit -- at least now it's crashing every 5 minutes as opposed to every 2 minutes.

I'm pretty much using Chrome now until Firefox/Adobe can figure things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Goober Peas posted:

Disabling Protected Mode helped a little bit -- at least now it's crashing every 5 minutes as opposed to every 2 minutes.

I'm pretty much using Chrome now until Firefox/Adobe can figure things out.
You definitely did install the latest Beta drivers from your video adapter manufacturer, right? You're not using the OEM-provided drivers and you didn't just do the Windows "Update drivers" thing?