Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010

...and that as they say is that.

Thief/Berserker/Mystic Knight/Dragoon

Most of my trouble in this challenge came about in the early game and for a couple bosses in World 2. From there, the very moment I got the Chicken Knife and the super weapons, the game became a cake walk. I only had to re-fight the last boss once, and that was because I forgot what kind of statuses/elements to protect against.

I went a little overboard with stealing; stocked up on all the worthwhile accessories (rings, elemental shields, and mirage vests). I've only played through this game once before and I was never this thorough.

Spellblade really carried me. Once I got the Break spell random encounters were no longer a thing. Flee helped in speeding up my playthrough. Equip Lances at the end was helpful with the Dragon Lances I was able to get my hands on - it certainly helped my Berserker really contribute.

All in all, this was a lot of fun. I've still got Omega and Shinryu to look at and I'm a little worried I'll have to level up 10-20 levels to have the HP to not die and to be able to land an attack.

subujun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

So here's a thing: http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2012/06/28/final-fantasy-dimensions-will-bring-the-16-bit-era-of-rpgs-to-ios-and-android/

Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS/Android, which looks to be like 4 Heroes of Light (being a new adventure with an old school style), only more FFV-centric. Apparently it's been out in Japan for a couple of years, was it well received?

I've been keeping my eye on this one ever since it first came out in Japan in 2010 as "Final Fantasy: Heroes of Light and Darkness." It's made by the same team that developed FF4 The After Years and 4 Heroes of Light, and, like those, it's a retro throwback, full of references to previous games. It's more similar to The After Years in that it's episodic and has multiple parties, but it's entirely original content, so it's unlikely to have many of the problems that TAY had as a result of being a sequel (reused dungeons, duplicate plot points, etc.). It uses a FF5-style job system, and you have two separate parties apparently working at cross purposes, who unlock different sets of jobs as their respective stories proceed.

The one thing I haven't been able to find is some indication of its critical reception. The iOS/Android version is pretty hideous, but I don't think anybody was going to play it for the graphics. I believe at E3 they said the release date would be sometime in July.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Schwartzcough posted:

So how do people use their chemists when they're not powering up for Neo-Exdeath?

At the moment he's Focusing on his Chicken Knife. :black101:

He's sadly hitting harder than my Monk, bleh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I've decided to spend tonight soloing the end game of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years with Edge. I'll be doing this with no import data, so no bonus stuff carried over from saving files. Everyone will be dead until I get to choose my own party, in which case I'll choose only Edge.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

...Welp.

When you begin The Gathering without any import data, Edge starts at L25 and the party starts with 10,000 Gil.

The first priority is to go to Kaipo, as they sell three very important items. Tents, which will recover Edge and change the moon phases without reviving the rest of the party. HiPotions, which heal 500HP and save Heal Pill MP which could go to other spells, and Spider Silk, which casts Slow and is the best debuff in the game.

The second priority is to grind to L32. Baron area has probably the weakest enemies, and even they will knock Edge around. A couple levels later, and Edge can start to hold his own. At L32, Edge gains an extra attack multiplier, which is nice, and also learns Mirage, which is self-Blink. Two free evasions is huge considering Edge can't take a hit.

I decide to tackle Eblan first, as it has some gear that could improve Edge. Before I can tackle the boss there, I need to take care of the two Melt Golems. Each Melt Golem has 20k HP, and Edge deals 500 damage on an Attack-boosting moon. With four Spider Silks, I can get off five attacks before the Melt Golem wears off Mirage. Luckily, he doesn't use any other attacks (I saw Blaze once out of the fifty-something physical attacks), so I manage to wear them both down.

The party is revived for the boss, so they can take hits while I throw Spider Silk at it and set Mirage. For the first phase of the fight, it simply uses physical attacks. It's speedier than the Golems, so I can only get off three attacks. Well, it also has a powerful fire attack that does 700-800 damage, but Edge has 1500 HP, so I just use a HiPotion or two.

Second phase, it'll have one round between its big attack where it uses a physical attack and then immediately cast Fira for 500 damage. Still not a big deal, it just means one turn using a HiPotion instead of an attack.

Third phase, it casts Firaga for ~1600 damage, more than my max HP.

I may have to come back to Eblan later.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Mega64 posted:

...Welp.

Godspeed on your challenge, great goon :patriot: This Solo-Edge challenge sounds rough.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Edge is one of the best characters in The After Years so it's pretty viable, in all honesty.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The problem is that Edge takes a bit of prep to become a god. A lot of his awesomeness comes from his excellent equipment options, options he doesn't have access to from a clean start. He's probably the worst initial character of the party during The Gathering, at least until he gets access to some good equipment and gains some levels (since his Tale has him sharing experience with four other characters and a bullshit-difficult Challenge Dungeon).

That said, it turns out Mithril Knives are stronger than his starter weapons, so there's that. Kaipo can actually be a decent grinding spot, as I can two-shot the moths there under the Attack+ moon and they give 6-7k experience.

I'd love to find a way to deal with Eblan just so I can buy a ranged weapon and deal full-damage from the back row. Once I do that, then things will get a lot less painful.

Edit: Hey, a few levels and some better knives helped! Was able to do 700 damage an attack instead of 500, and the extra HP let me survive Firaga. Twenty-something HiPotions and three X-Potions later, and I survive.

While I wanted to get a ranged weapon, the 32-power katana is just so tempting, especially since one of the treasure chests in Eblan is a 35-power lightning katana.

Hopefully I have enough pure offense to make up for Edge's frail self. If not, I'll get a Chakram and back-row it for awhile.

Edit 2: Forgot about the Ribbon and the easy monster guarding it. Gained a couple more levels, which just barely let me kill the Great Malboro before Doom killed me, netting myself the Black Belt Gi. Then I went to Agart and found the Diamond Armlet there, so I think armor-wise I'm set for the first third of this challenge.

Tried the Mysidia boss, almost had it but two brutal attacks in a row killed me right at the end, though if I kept healed I would've got it. I'll try again later, with maybe another level or two under my belt.

Two hours in, and I'm up 14 levels and Edge is finally becoming somewhat reliable. Still fragile, but an awesome offense and agility combined with Mirage and Heal Pill make up for that. I'll pick up again in a couple of days.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Finished my Fiesta, with a Magic Lamp Zantesuken of all things. Neo Exdeath was pretty tough, too.

After finally finishing this game after giving it several attempts over the years, I can safely say that it's one of the most fun final fantasy games that I've played. I always got caught up trying to try every job, and the fiesta was just the push I needed to get through it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Eagle posted:

After finally finishing this game after giving it several attempts over the years, I can safely say that it's one of the most fun final fantasy games that I've played. I always got caught up trying to try every job, and the fiesta was just the push I needed to get through it.
And still yet you didn't get the whole ending! I recall from somewhere that you're supposed to get like character-specific scenes for everyone who's still alive afterwards.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

And still yet you didn't get the whole ending, I recall from somewhere that you're supposed to get like character-specific scenes for everyone who's still alive afterwards.

Guess I'll just fight Neo Exdeath again then. I kind of ran out of Phoenix Downs.....

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

The White Dragon posted:

And still yet you didn't get the whole ending! I recall from somewhere that you're supposed to get like character-specific scenes for everyone who's still alive afterwards.

This is true. Going back and refighting the boss in order to see what happens when certain characters are alive or dead (or petrified, zombified, etc) is kind of silly, though...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hey, looks like someone hacked away all the laws in FFTA.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's laaammme. It removes a ton of interesting stuff from it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

Edge is one of the best characters in The After Years so it's pretty viable, in all honesty.

Is the balance in TAY a lot like normal FF4? Because one thing I always found funny is that other than maybe swapping out Rydia for Yang or Porom, the party they give you for the endgame actually is the best possible party you could make from the people in the game. This was kinda fun to realize in FF4A.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Mazed posted:

By what criteria is he planning on judging "better"?

Considering that you have people all loving different games in the series for completely different reasons, and that what you get out of a video game is completely subjective, based on the individual playing it, that's not a very good milestone to set. It's even worse when you consider that this is probably the most contentious game franchise in existence (Every game is the worst game in the series. :v:)

Maybe he just means copies+related merchandise sold? I have no citation for this, but I would presume that FF7 and all that bears its name has earned the company the most out of everything FF-related.

Ignoring whatever I think of the game personally, 7 is also remembered fondly because its associated with a time where the "modern" FF aestetic starts out (creativity) while not too recent that people associate "Modern Square bullshit" (nostalgia factor) with the game. It's the best of both nostalgic worlds. Its mechanics are also more similar to old games than newer modern ones (2nd tier nostalgia factor) so even if you think the plot is dumb the mechancis are "respectable" by old gamers, even tho the game is not grind-neccessary hard.

It does not help that the other two FF games taking place in a modern setting (FF8 and especially 13) are rather controversial in the fandom. I don't doubt the comment "no Square game has been done as well as FF7 so we'd feel weird doing a remake" is a more a suggestion that, in a hypothetical universe where they did it ten years after, they probably couldn't. It's kind of like how Chrono Trigger is remembed as a perfect storm of developers and writers n stuff.

FF7 was designed to be a little bit more broadly appealing, and it's kinda of ironically terrible all the EU poo poo for that is another attempt at broadly appealing to the slightly newer market. I genuinely wish Square would pony up and let another developer handle a FF, because at this point (in a lot of genres) only someone familar with your games but outside of that Echo Chamber of Designers can you get something someone out of the loop might actually look at.

keet fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 30, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is the balance in TAY a lot like normal FF4? Because one thing I always found funny is that other than maybe swapping out Rydia for Yang or Porom, the party they give you for the endgame actually is the best possible party you could make from the people in the game. This was kinda fun to realize in FF4A.

I've only played the DS version, but Edge coming out of nowhere as my final party member and being way less useful than Yang or Cid didn't make me think this.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Question about the PSP version of FFT: the slow down fix is a fan patch right? Does that mean that I need custom firmware on my PSP to apply it?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's overall better balanced then FFIV. There's only one character I'd say is really not good. Some characters are better in pairs for their bands though.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

voltron lion force posted:

Question about the PSP version of FFT: the slow down fix is a fan patch right? Does that mean that I need custom firmware on my PSP to apply it?
Yes, yes.

However, trust me in that it is quite simple to set up using guides on this here forum, and not a pain at all (if you've got something to let you hook your PSP memory card to your computer).

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

I did not know this existed. Does a patch to restore spell quotes also exist?

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Miracon posted:

I did not know this existed. Does a patch to restore spell quotes also exist?

Oh man that would be the best.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

you would

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I wouldn't say balanced, but the game does a lot more with FF4's gameplay and gives such a large variety of characters that it makes things that much more interesting. Some characters are a large step above others, and some just suck, whether because of their lackluster abilities and stats (most of the Eblan Four, Harley), or because the way mechanics work go against the character (Agility is a very important stat in the game, and is part of why Edge is so awesome. On the flip side, Cid is horrible because his Agility is so low).

Basically, each tale gives you a set party, each with a different set of characters with different strengths and weaknesses (Yang's Tale is all Monks, while Palom's Tale follows two mages). If you import all this data into the game, you can have as many as 22 people to choose from in the final dungeon, which is very long and has a ton of bosses.

It's a big shame the story itself is so loving horrible, because the gameplay itself isn't actually that bad if you ignore the high encounter rates and the completely bullshit Challenge Dungeons (which are optional anyway). Certainly an evolution of FF4's gameplay, keeping the same basic structure while adding enough to add some actual strategy to combat.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I just beat Ex-Death (and even managed Shinryuu for the first time ever) thanks to the most ridiculous team I've ever played with.

Here's a video of the absurdness of having a White Mage/Mystic Knight/Mystic Knight/Hunter team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SZyGQGg4Os

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Somewhat under the radar, but Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is coming out this tuesday (and this friday for EU) for 3DS for those who are interested in playing Elite Beat Agents to Final Fantasy music. I'll do a write-up for the OP sometime next week as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypYapTG7jIQ

And in the spirit of the FF5 Fiesta, the above video is Clash on the Big Bridge on Expert/Hard mode. Looks pretty difficult to say the least.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 1, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

There is a patch for the PSX version that has the WOTL translation plus the spell quotes...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fister Roboto posted:

There is a patch for the PSX version that has the WOTL translation plus the spell quotes...

That version doesn't have Balthier in it. :colbert:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I tried playing FFIV but got bored with that so I started a hard mode fiesta.

So far...

...I have entirely Wind Crystal jobs.

Liquid Flame was pretty interesting, I had to let it beat on my two monks so they countered it, avoiding the blaze counter that happens whenever you attack it. Monk killed the first two bosses with Focus before they could do anything at all, but Garula and Liquid Flame's counters were pretty rough on my all physical team. Glad I got black mage for my fire job.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The stupid thing about the optional missions they added in FFT:WOTL is that you need to do them in multiplayer over Wifi because Japan has some weird boner for putting loads of wifi only content in their portable games.

In the iOS version they completely strip them out, and instead when you beat the game once they give you all the rewards you would have gotten :I

There's crazy stuff in there, the armor all has more +HP than any other armor in the game and the weapons take the best possible weapons and add 2 or 3 tiers above them. There are boots that give more than 1 MV and a lot of stuff that pumps multiple stats. Would've been nice if they just let you do single player missions for them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The fights to get them looked kind of insane too. Even just having the missions to play solo, with stuff in the shop, would be fine.

Also doesn't beating the game add it to the shops for all of your save games in the iOS version, meaning that level 1 save you have can now buy god-like equipment?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Put in some more time in my FF4TAY Edge solo run. Managed to survive the Mysidia boss's final attack, and from there the Agart fight was a breeze. At this point, Edge is starting to embrace his godhood and with some HiPotions easily took care of the Lodestone Cavern and its boss. My biggest get there was a Light Curtain, which let me survive the Dark Sage chest and snag the Mage Masher, a nice upgrade for Edge.

All that's left now is to go to the Cave of Eblan and trade in my tails. Haven't decided what I want yet, but it should be easier to figure out considering I'm only using one character and all. I don't think I need the Limit Ring since Edge won't really be reaching the damage limit, but then I probably don't need three of the other tail things either.

Probably getting the Blue Tail since Blue Armor is pretty great, but everything else doesn't seem that impressive, especially considering many of them are accessories and thus won't really be that useful. Might just get the Limit Ring for the hell of it, then.

Anyway, I think I'll be fine for the last stage of The Gathering, and from there I don't have to worry about any pesky teammates constantly reviving on me.

Edit: Took a couple tries, but I made it through Eblan Cave, getting a Rainbow and Blue Tail, some new katanas for Edge, and enough EXP to get me to L50, the max for The Gathering. From there, the boss of the level was a breeze, as their Black Magic on a down moon couldn't do much to Edge. Even Meteor hit for under 1k, with Edge having over 3k at this point.

Now I'm at the end game proper. The real fun begins!

Edit 2: poo poo, looks like I missed my chance for the Giant's Glove. That would've been handy. Oh well, not like there's a shortage of awesome accessories in the end game.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 2, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ahahahahaha. Yeah, The Gathering is definitely the hard part of this challenge. Just finished the first half of the final dungeon, and it was a breeze. Edge starts getting some really nice equipment options, including the Murasame and Moonring Blade, as well as the Red Scarf and Protect Ring. More about the latter two in a minute.

While I could go into individual boss strategies, there's really no need since I used the same strategy in most: Throw a Spider Silk to inflict Slow, put up Mirage, and go on an all-out offensive, using X-Potions or Healing Pill to heal as necessary while reapplying Mirage immediately after it runs out. Edge is fast enough to get three turns to a slowed boss's one on average, so he has time to bring the hurt and heal/buff as necessary. While there are deviations for certain bosses, there weren't really any major ones worth hiding in spoiler tags.

Random encounters alternated between lucrative and, especially in the last section, brutal, though that's because I ran with an attack-boosting moon in the front row. The last few areas have enemies with huge EXP rewards, the last area in particular averaging 20k-30k EXP to Edge. I ended up finishing the first half at L64, and I could easily level to L99 if I wanted to try my hand on the bonus bosses.

A couple of observations: Ninjutsu is much stronger than you think, as Edge's powered-up techniques can wreck enemies with a weakness. I saw them hit the damage limit against some of the weaker mobs, for the record. Healing Pill with an ability-boosting moon can outheal an X-Potion, which is handy.

Second, seems there's an interesting glitch where if you have one piece of armor absorb an element and another resist a bunch of elements, you'll absorb all the elements you resist. With the Fire Scarf's fire absorption and the Protect Ring's Fire/Ice/Lightning Resistance, Edge actually absorbs ice and thunder attacks as well as fire. Pretty handy against, say, Dark Sages who primarily use elemental spells until alone.

Now I have the Blue Armor and the Limit Ring, so I'm pretty much set until I get the final pair of katanas. I'll stick with the Blue Armor's fantastic defenses unless I need to absorb elements. Other than that, I think I'll be set for the second half of the dungeon.

It's amazing how awesome Edge is in this game. He's switched from a master-of-none in the previous game to a master-of-all.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Got him, barely. Thank goodness for Magic Lamp. I've never seen the "not all 4 alive" ending before, it's pretty :smithicide:

My final thoughts:

Monk: Oh how the mighty have fallen. Monk destroys the first world doublehandedly (heh), but right around Mua Forest they take a sharp nose dive into suck. The Kaiser Knuckles helped a bit, but my monk was basically the !Mix master in the latter third of the game. Even Equip Axes wasn't getting the job done. Probably my weakest class overall, not what I would have expected going into this.

Berserker: Kinda awesome when you're not fighting things that counter. The Death Sickle and Dancing Dagger carried him through World 2, and Equip Harps plus Rune Axe was :black101: incarnate. Add some Hermes Sandals and he was laying the hurt on a lot of things. But not as much as somebody else...

Bard: I knew !Sing was good, but not this good. As long as the enemy isn't a Heavy or a Dragon a Bard can shut down almost any encounter in the first 2 worlds, and a lot of them in World 3 as well.

Alluring Air is hilariously good, and that's not counting Hero's Rime and the like either. My only complaint is Bard cannot take a hit at all, and didn't play very well with Berserker, but it wasn't unmanageable.

Chemist: Chemist kinda blows. Don't get me wrong, !Mix is broken-and-a-half, but non-boss encounter made him feeling weak and sad.

At least that was the case until I got to World 3 and got the Chicken Knife. Turns out !Focus gets around that whole running thing. He was pretty much the champion of damage that point forward.

It was weird playing without any magic, I really got to know the Mix list well (particularly Phoenix Down + Ether, as most of my team was as durable as tissue paper). It was a blast!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Bard: I knew !Sing was good, but not this good. As long as the enemy isn't a Heavy or a Dragon a Bard can shut down almost any encounter in the first 2 worlds, and a lot of them in World 3 as well.

In post-airship world 3, you have your chemist make your enemies into Dragons (Maiden's Kiss + Dragon Fang) specifically so your bard can kick their rear end. Apollo's Harp does 8x damage against Undead and Dragons, ignores row, and always hits. You're looking into several thousand unblockable damage before you get into the bard and chemist's other buffs, and 9999 once you throw some level increases into the equation.

I coined the term "murderbard" in my own bard + chemist playthrough for precisely that reason. As for non-bosses, well, Chicken Knife stands as testament to the best way to deal with them. :D Many random encounters in this game are more trouble than they're worth.

I do grant that neither of them would play well with a berserker. There's a certain amount of prep time that you often want to do while the boss is at high HP and relatively harmless (e.g. the beginning of the final battle), and the berserker is having none of that poo poo. :black101:

I also agree that chemist in and of itself is kinda bleh for general purposes, once you've cycled it around to everyone to teach !Mix. Healing Staff duty is often helpful, but a lot of the time you'll be getting the most use out of the Chemist through whatever command you put on them. I did get a kick out of using !Rapid Fire and the Sage's Staff to have my chemist clobber my way through to the third tablet in my latest playthrough (which didn't have bard but did have ranger).

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

I feel like high Agility kinda ironically shines when no other party members are around to slow you down with their own turns. But yeah, I read your LPs, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find a little challenge run update hidden in this thread. Please post how it winds up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got my fourth job in my hardmode fiesta.

It's like I'm actually playing FFI right now. I kind of wish someone would make a permanent fiestabot, because I'm having a lot of fun playing the game like this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Vil posted:

I do grant that neither of them would play well with a berserker. There's a certain amount of prep time that you often want to do while the boss is at high HP and relatively harmless (e.g. the beginning of the final battle), and the berserker is having none of that poo poo. :black101:

Toad's Kiss would nullify your Berserker (Maiden's Kiss + Dark Matter) until you're ready for him to kick rear end. Might be another mix or two that would do similar things.

Bellmaker posted:

Monk: Oh how the mighty have fallen. Monk destroys the first world doublehandedly (heh), but right around Mua Forest they take a sharp nose dive into suck. The Kaiser Knuckles helped a bit, but my monk was basically the !Mix master in the latter third of the game. Even Equip Axes wasn't getting the job done. Probably my weakest class overall, not what I would have expected going into this.

Did you give your Monk the Titan Axe? I found it actually did decent enough damage to keep up with my Berserker until the Rift, dealing around 2k damage a hit. Of course, by the end your Monk's still better off doing utility stuff while your good characters wreck the enemy's poo poo, so it's a minor improvement.

Beaumains posted:

I feel like high Agility kinda ironically shines when no other party members are around to slow you down with their own turns. But yeah, I read your LPs, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find a little challenge run update hidden in this thread. Please post how it winds up.

Agility's probably the best stat even with a full party, especially since you can skip turns in TAY. It lets Edge get a ton of turns, especially once you Slow an enemy and can run laps around them. Plus he gets a ton of stat-boosting equipment that really boosts his damage, especially if you give him a Giant's Glove (which I missed :doh:). Combined with his handy Ninjutsu, and the only major problem Edge has is taking physical hits, and even that can be fixed by giving him a ranged weapon and sticking him in the back row.

Between my FF3 solo run, the FJF, and this, I've really been on a challenge run kick lately. Maybe I'll do a FF5 Same Character Class challenge next or something like that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I just found out you are doing a Let's Play of LoM and I am so glad someone is doing that game. It's my favorite PSX era RPG; it's a shame we'll probably never seen another "real" game in the Mana series from Square with the hand drawn art and 2D Beat-Em-Up gameplay and everything. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just picking up my game of FF5 after several months, this should be a good place to ask since you've all just beat it. I have the airship in world 3 and I'm about to descend into where library of the ancients was. I can't remember what came before this at all - are there any sidequests or summons to get before I go there? I notice its a point of no return of sorts and I think I'm a little underlevelled anyway.