Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm kind of sitting in the same holding pattern at this point to see what happens with the pi. I can follow a guide but I won't be able to figure it out on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I'm on vacation this week from work, and a coworker and I decided it would be a good idea to just BBQ the whole week. We started off Monday with 2 failed attempts at a cold smoker out of his two grills and a garbage can, and a 3rd attempt which actually worked. We then smoked some cheese in it, and made a Bacon Explosion in my WSM, which was meh, but looked really cool. Here is the setup:

Yesterday was cold smoking Salmon in the rig (one Atlantic filet, and one Sockeye filet), and hot smoking ribs in the WSM. Salmon stayed on for ~6 hours, babybacks ended up being around 4:15, here are the final products:

They came out absolutely fantastic, probably the best ribs I've ever had, despite being a little too spicy because of the BBQ sauce we made. When I went to check for doneness I actually pulled the bone right out by accident, it was awesome. Interesting story though, we had to cut two of the racks because only one would fit full length into the smoker, and the full rack was the only one that came out not quite done yet. Not sure why the length would matter, but it seemed to.

Today was supposed to be pulled pork day, but as I said earlier my friend got sick so that will be tomorrow, with a brisket to finish off the week. We did have some bagels with fresh lox though, which were awesome. Tastes almost completely different when you make it yourself.

I'll probably be back with some brisket questions later. You guys have been super helpful so far, so thanks for that!

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 28, 2012

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Home Depot has the Kingsford original 13.9lb 2-pack on sale for 6.88 until the 4th.

Edit: Lowes has 2-20lb packs for $12.99

dedian fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 29, 2012

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Super excited my Smokey Mountain just showed up from Amazon, got my trunkful of home depot discount charcoal, and time to go get some meat to cook.

If anyone is willing to take a chance and wants an 18.5 smokey mountain, I got mine from Amazon Warehouse Deals for 263 instead of 299. Supposedly it was used in good condition with damaged packaging and possible cosmetic damages. It showed up still in the factory box, no damage, looks like its never been unpacked. I know I probably could have waited and got it cheaper on sale somewhere at the end of summer but now that my wife finally let me buy one I suck at waiting.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Turns out I've been commissioned to smoke meat for my familys 4th of July party. It should turn out well. I'll probably end up doing brisket and pork shoulder. I'll post pics for sure.

Also, a pic of my smoker.

I know some people have a thing against propane but gently caress that. This guy is awesome. I live in an apartment with no yard. This guy is light, and easy to carry. He fits right into my vw golf no problem with the seats down and produces a great smoke ring every time. He's never failed to come through and has the capacity for quite a bit of food.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

davey4283 posted:

Turns out I've been commissioned to smoke meat for my familys 4th of July party. It should turn out well. I'll probably end up doing brisket and pork shoulder. I'll post pics for sure.

Also, a pic of my smoker.

I know some people have a thing against propane but gently caress that. This guy is awesome. I live in an apartment with no yard. This guy is light, and easy to carry. He fits right into my vw golf no problem with the seats down and produces a great smoke ring every time. He's never failed to come through and has the capacity for quite a bit of food.

I got a similar propane smoker made by Master Forge for Father's Day. I did a brisket flat and a pork loin at the same time, both using a rub and hickory. It was the first time I've ever used any type of smoker and I think they came out awesome.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Continuing my rib smoking experiments, this is my third time using my smoker and this time I got a whole length of rib. The ones with BBQ sauce mopped on at the end always turns out better I think. The one where I sprayed apple juice on it a few times during cooking turned out the best so far, so apple juice, maybe cider, seems like it should become a staple of my rib cooking.

I often find I'd like more salt though, should I just incorporate more salt into my rub or just put on salt separately first? Can/should you brine ribs?

These I just took of the smoker and wrapped, then forgot them a bunch of hours, just got home from the summer cottage and unwrapped them.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Fired up my WSM yesterday after a bit of a break, made some pork ribs that came out amazing as usual. First time using the smoker in 100 degree weather, was amazed at how fast it came up to temperature (got it as a xmas gift this past year). I was almost worried the ribs would burn once I saw it shoot up to 275 with 2 vents closed, and the third 25% open! I have yet to have ribs from any restaurant that have come close to ribs on the WSM, and the price is always so much lower when you do it yourself, I absolutely love my smoker and the food it produces.

With the 4th coming up, my father really wants me to make a brisket, but out of the family and my girlfriend, my father and I are the only meat eaters. I am thinking of doing a brisket that my wholesale club sells, (BJ’s), that is just the flat section of the brisket. Don’t get me wrong, I love burnt ends when I made them last time, but in this case, it would just be too much a waste of money and food for my liking.

Does anyone have experience with smoking just the flat of a brisket, how might I do this in terms of time and temp? Or is this just a bad idea from the start, smoker-wise?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

After another frustrating session of little to no smoke I've gone ahead and ordered the APS with 5lbs of cherry and hickory pellets.

Looking forward to being able to smoke with actual smoke again.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The Rev posted:

Fired up my WSM yesterday after a bit of a break, made some pork ribs that came out amazing as usual. First time using the smoker in 100 degree weather, was amazed at how fast it came up to temperature (got it as a xmas gift this past year). I was almost worried the ribs would burn once I saw it shoot up to 275 with 2 vents closed, and the third 25% open! I have yet to have ribs from any restaurant that have come close to ribs on the WSM, and the price is always so much lower when you do it yourself, I absolutely love my smoker and the food it produces.

With the 4th coming up, my father really wants me to make a brisket, but out of the family and my girlfriend, my father and I are the only meat eaters. I am thinking of doing a brisket that my wholesale club sells, (BJ’s), that is just the flat section of the brisket. Don’t get me wrong, I love burnt ends when I made them last time, but in this case, it would just be too much a waste of money and food for my liking.

Does anyone have experience with smoking just the flat of a brisket, how might I do this in terms of time and temp? Or is this just a bad idea from the start, smoker-wise?

You can smoke a flat just fine. You'll see plenty of them cooked for comps even. 225-250 until 195-200 and then rest for 2-3 hours. Flats are the good stuff!

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 1, 2012

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

The Rev posted:

Invest in a Foodsaver or some other similar vacuum sealer. You can vac-seal and freeze the leftovers, and then whenever you get a hankering for BBQ it's already there, all you have to do is defrost and reheat.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

I often find I'd like more salt though, should I just incorporate more salt into my rub or just put on salt separately first?

The first rub I mixed up was slightly too salty, and it definitely came through in the finished ribs. I mixed up a huge batch and used it for both shoulders and ribs; what obviously happened is that the shouldes were excellent (having been pulled and mixed up) and the ribs were too salty (where every bite has lots of bark).

Now I make rubs with less salt, and salt the shoulders prior to rubbing, so I can still use the same one for a number of things.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

rigeek posted:

Invest in a Foodsaver or some other similar vacuum sealer. You can vac-seal and freeze the leftovers, and then whenever you get a hankering for BBQ it's already there, all you have to do is defrost and reheat.

I want to second this. Even just in a baggie wrapped in tin foil works well. Canukistan suggested this a few pages back and I've been following those sage words of advice.

Also this kind of goes without saying but when reheating don't try to recook. Give it just enough heat to warm otherwise you'll dry out the meat.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
One of the beauties of the foodsaver is, you can boil the bag .. put a pot of water on to boil, take the bag out of the freezer, drop the bag in once the water is boiling, and boil for a bit, the Q is as good when you open the bag as it was when it came off the pit.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Cooking a packer for 4th of July. Haven't decided yet whether to fire up the WSM and cook it overnight low-and-slow or fire up the kettle early Wed and cook it hotter and faster. I'm determined to nail it. Gotta figure out a kick-rear end sauce to make with it. I made a Dr Pepper BBQ sauce once that rocked, but I was too shitfaced to remember. Maybe I'll try that again.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

We made a kickass sauce this week, it was mustard based. I had never tried any mustard based sauces before, and it did not disappoint. I'm definitely making it my go to from now on.

1 cup prepared dijon mustard (could use yellow)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Cook for ~20 minutes

For the ribs we mopped it on about 10 minutes before we took them off, for the pulled pork we mixed a little bit in initially, then left more out to add to sandwiches to taste. The chipotle chili powder ends being decently spicy after cooking onto the ribs, so if that's not your thing you could substitute for cayenne, or just make your chili powder without chipotles!

You couldn't really tell on the pulled pork though. Man it was awesome.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 3, 2012

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
I got the 9.5lb packer brisket. Going to trim the hard fat off the fat cap, but leave most of the rest. Smoke it on the Weber kettle using the charcoal baskets w/ Royal Oak and hickory chunks. Going to foil at ~165 and separate the point for burnt ends shortly after that. Wish me luck goons.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
You guys have inspired me to do some ribs this weekend. The wife and I got a Large Big Green Egg for our anniversary. I've really only used it for hotter cooks while still getting used to manual temp control.

@McSpankWich that sauce looks tasty, I'll have to try it out. I love mustard.

Just tonight we did teriyaki pineapple burgers. I was a bit afraid that they wouldn't turn out because of a little fiasco with the egg.

I lit the fire and left the top off and the draft door wide open for it to come up to temp. I ended up forgetting about it for a while. I checked the temp and it was a raging inferno. Dial temp was at 250 which means it went all the way around. must have been close to 1000 deg in there. Got a flash/back-draft when I cracked the lid and singed all the hair of my arm.

Anyways, shut it all down to cool and put the burgers on after 15 mins or so. It was still too hot and they were over cooked but still better than I expected.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It definitely has a learning curve; you will learn quickly its always better to undershoot on temps because it takes so long to normalize if you go way over. The bottom is the main temp control, Daisy wheel on top is your fine adjustment.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Each smoke is so different, I did ribs again yesterday and they came out great, but not nearly as tender as last weeks. It's frustrating because the mistakes I made last time I corrected so they should have been better. They made it to 190 in ~4.5 hours.

The only thing I can think of is that it took the WSM about an hour to get up to temp for some reason. But that shouldn't effect the final tenderness negatively, right? If anything, it's more time under 140 to absorb smoke right?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

McSpankWich posted:

Each smoke is so different, I did ribs again yesterday and they came out great, but not nearly as tender as last weeks. It's frustrating because the mistakes I made last time I corrected so they should have been better. They made it to 190 in ~4.5 hours.

The only thing I can think of is that it took the WSM about an hour to get up to temp for some reason. But that shouldn't effect the final tenderness negatively, right? If anything, it's more time under 140 to absorb smoke right?

Ribs are weird in that they aren't called done by time or temperature but by the tear test.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect.html

quote:

How To Tell When Ribs Are Done

The best way to tell whether your ribs are cooked to perfection is to use the "tear test". Take hold of two adjacent bones toward the middle of the slab and give them a pull. If the meat offers a bit of resistance but then tears easily, you know the ribs are done just right.

Other indicators of doneness, such as how far the meat has pulled down the bone or whether a toothpick passes easily through the meat, are not as reliable as the tear test.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Yeah, just for an example of how variable smoking is, last week I did 2 picnic shoulders and 1 butt in my electic smoker w/AMNPS. All three pieces went in at the same time, 1 PM in the afternoon.

The butt and one of the picnics were finished at 1 AM. The other picnic wasn't done until 7 AM. The two picnics were exactly the same size, and I've made a few modifications to the smoker so the temp is consistent everywhere in the box. The shoulder that took the longest seemed a little fattier when I was shredding it, so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

McSpankWich posted:

Thats an abnormally long time to hit temp. Mine hits 225 in about 20 minutes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Did you have a full water pan? Cold or hot water in the pan to start? Just that can make a difference in time to hit temp.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I bought one of these new from Home Depot. It works pretty well for me. Put lava rocks (buy a new bag the ones that it comes with are crap) on top of the electric element if you haven't already. oh and don't use an extension cord.

Make sure you have a digital probe thermometer, and read/follow this link:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

The poster above me that said brisket is difficult is totally right-- my first brisket tasted awful but the second one I did was tons better. Make sure you start early.

I have one of these as well, but I had a lot of trouble with it running over-temp, how did you control that? Also, how did you apply the smoking wood, use a cast iron pan? Even after it was soaked overnight, the wood still lights up on fire for me...

e: by "one of these" I mean the brinkman electric smoker

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I had about a 1/2 full water pan that I filled with the hose. I did the tear test, but on the end instead of the middle, that was probably the problem and I just got lucky last time.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I have one of these as well, but I had a lot of trouble with it running over-temp, how did you control that? Also, how did you apply the smoking wood, use a cast iron pan? Even after it was soaked overnight, the wood still lights up on fire for me...

e: by "one of these" I mean the brinkman electric smoker

I'm not very familiar with electric smokers as far as the over-temp issue, but if your smoking wood is catching on fire instead of just smoldering, I'd check the airflow of the smoker (the smoking wood is getting too much oxygen), but you can also wrap the wood in foil with some holes poked through it to better control the oxygen that gets to the wood (so they don't catch on fire).

Soaking your wood does nothing but delay the smoke, not control the smoke generated from the wood. When you soak the wood, whatever you're smoking in has to first evaporate the water that the wood soaked up (which in most cases is negligible) before it can start to smoke.

Lots more about this on the following site, as well as all sorts of other awesome info:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

dedian posted:

I'm not very familiar with electric smokers as far as the over-temp issue, but if your smoking wood is catching on fire instead of just smoldering, I'd check the airflow of the smoker (the smoking wood is getting too much oxygen), but you can also wrap the wood in foil with some holes poked through it to better control the oxygen that gets to the wood (so they don't catch on fire).

Soaking your wood does nothing but delay the smoke, not control the smoke generated from the wood. When you soak the wood, whatever you're smoking in has to first evaporate the water that the wood soaked up (which in most cases is negligible) before it can start to smoke.

Lots more about this on the following site, as well as all sorts of other awesome info:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

The foil is a great idea I didn't think of, thanks. And yes the wood was catching fire...I think I just need to experiment with it more.

Great link as well, should've seen it earlier in the thread

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Did some ribs for the 4th. Rub was your normal stuff, but I added some Szechuan peppercorns for shits and giggles. It was spicy and good. Took about 6-6.5 hours because I had to leave after putting them on and the temps hovered around 200 instead of the 225 I usually try for. This was really the first time I thought that they were "competition doneness." They were perfect. Didn't fall off the bone, left teeth marks , and left a clean bone after eating them.

I also did some country style ribs but didn't get a picture of them.

I was hoping to do a picnic shoulder tomorrow, but it is still in the freezer and I don't think it will thaw before I need to put it on. Guess I'll just do hamburgers and hotdogs.

LTBS fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 6, 2012

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
With my wsm I usually wait until the fire is good and hot. I then add a little bit of water to get it down to 225 or so. For me It's easier to bring it down than back up in a decent amount of time.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

MasterControl posted:

With my wsm I usually wait until the fire is good and hot. I then add a little bit of water to get it down to 225 or so. For me It's easier to bring it down than back up in a decent amount of time.

I usually do that too, but I was impatient. They still turned out great though.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.
Smoked by first brisket ever (for that matter it was the first piece of meat I have ever smoked) over July 4th on my Green Egg and it came out awesome, one of the best I've ever had. It was so tender, I couldn't even properly cut slices.

I started the first at about 12:15 am on Tuesday night, put the brisket on at 1:20 after the fire stabilized at 250 and then took it off around 11:15 am or so once it hit 195.

Green Eggs are awesome.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I smoked a Boston butt today for about 11 hours @ around 200-250 *F today using hickory to flavor it. Cannot wait to tear into it, but I figured I'd post some pics while I await for the baked beans to finish up!

My setup - there are hickory trees behind the smoker that supply me with a near endless supply of wood.

On the smoker

The final product!

Ill try to post up chopped pics when its all said and done!

Edit:

Breaking it down

All broken down

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 9, 2012

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Had a huge throw down this past saturday at a friend's house. Cooked ribs, 2 pork butts, lots of chicken, brawts, shrimp. So much food there will be leftovers for days. Anyways, here's a pic of my chicken and stuffed jalapenos. Chicken was at about the 3 hour mark, with about an hour and a half left to go. Came out extremely juicy. No final shots as by the time it was all done all I could think about was eating.

Had to cook my stuff on the weber, as there was no way I could transport my egg. Did manage to fashion an extra grate that added almost double the cooking area.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
how long do you guys let cryo ribs sit in the fridge? I got some 'previously frozen' last Tuesday I think, for the 4th, and didn't have a chance to cook them, though I thawed them. If I wanted to smoke them on Saturday should I throw them in the chest freezer or let them sit in the fridge?

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I am smoking my first pulled pork! I can't wait to taste it. I am using Raichlen recipe. I will post picture of result later tonight or tomorow!

e: later this evening

I had family coming over and it was a huge success!

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 15, 2012

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.
Did another brisket flat and pork loin today. This time I pulled them out of the smoker at 150° and put them in the oven in foil. Left the brisket in until it hit 185°. It lost the bark, but it cooked so much faster and was just as tender and flavorful as last time when I left it in the smoker the whole time.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Haven't had my smoker out much this year, but I've been using my Weber Performer almost daily. In the absence of a general BBQ thread (as far as I know), please allow me to post the chicken thighs I did on Saturday night. Mmmm, these were gooooooood! Mopped with some no-name brand honey garlic sauce, and cooked with a big ol' hunk of hickory on the coals. Delicious!

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Currently at the 8 hour mark of my first brisket and hovering in the 170s. Probably gonna foil it soon and kick the cooker temp. up so its ready for a late dinner tonight. Also just threw on some bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapenos that should be ready for an appetizer in about 2 hours.

drat the house smells good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright y'all, I need some seriously spot on and sage advice.

I'm going to smoke a duck this week, and I've never done that before. I need it to turn out perfectly the first time - and by perfect I mean crisp skin, perfectly seasoned meat, and falling off the bone-yet-moist end results.

I always brine meats I smoke, so my plan is to brine the duck with a sort of like, brown sugar / tea / 5 spice mixture, with lots of pepper, prick the poo poo out of the skin, and then smoke at around 200-200 for about 4-6 hours. then maybe I'll take a blowtorch to it to try and crisp the skin?

is there anything special I should be thinking about when cooking duck? I saw a few failures in this thread, so just looking for any experience from anyone who has done this before...