Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PaybackJack posted:

I don't think you can close your own threads anymore, which is why I PM'ed Winson_Paine to do it, which is why he's here asking about it.

...really? That's news to me! I wasn't meaning to impugn your record, your last post was pretty clearly "this should be the final post in the thread peoples".

Also, King Chicken, that's a great NT description, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Lordpen posted:

Sounds good! Now to try and find a place that sells it in Sweden.

I read up on eclipse a while back and I just don't feel like getting another space war game, besides spiders vs monkeys just sounds more fun!

Eclipse isn't really a space war game. It's more of a worker placement Eurogame pretending to be a space war game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

silvergoose posted:

...really? That's news to me! I wasn't meaning to impugn your record, your last post was pretty clearly "this should be the final post in the thread peoples".

Also, King Chicken, that's a great NT description, love it.

Actually now that I check on the it, I guess I can open/close it at the top of the page. I remember there was, what seemed like a long period where only Mods could close a thread because there was a string of people closing threads for no good reason. I've been here a while so it's possible it hasn't been that way for years.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Manatee Insanity posted:

Agricola has been my favorite for awhile now. I highly recommend it if you want to try the euro style of games.

I'm not sure I can agree with this. I say this as someone who really likes Agricola and Euro games. If gric were about anything other than farming it would be questionable whether it were a Euro game or Ameritrash, and if there were a single d6 in the box there wouldn't be any debate. Most of the complexity comes from the mountain of rules rather than emerging from the interaction of a few simple rules, the theme drives the mechanics instead of being pasted on, there's a pile of fiddly bits and multiple decks of cards, and it's pretty goddamn long. As an example of what euro games are like to someone interested in trying one out, it's really not very representative at all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
If you want to recommend a great worker placement Euro game, Hansa Teutonica is your best option. It's really simple. It gets people used to the idea of action blocking without completely ruining their strategy at a key point, thus it's more friendly for beginners. It has very typical Euro style scoring in that you don't always want to be first to score X because then others can score more after that.

Also it has wooden cubes, glorious glorious wooden cubes.

I think thread superstar White Howler agrees with this, I seem to recall he loved this game as well. You should link his "Meepletown" blog in the main op.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm not sure I can agree with this. I say this as someone who really likes Agricola and Euro games. If gric were about anything other than farming it would be questionable whether it were a Euro game or Ameritrash, and if there were a single d6 in the box there wouldn't be any debate. Most of the complexity comes from the mountain of rules rather than emerging from the interaction of a few simple rules, the theme drives the mechanics instead of being pasted on, there's a pile of fiddly bits and multiple decks of cards, and it's pretty goddamn long. As an example of what euro games are like to someone interested in trying one out, it's really not very representative at all.

If it was Ameritrash, I'd be able to raid enemy farms and murder their families with my battle-boars to win as the last man standing :colbert:

The AT/Euro split has been long dead for years now. Agricola took the AT concepts of using a metric ton of cards and integrated theme to make a game more fun, but other than that it's entirely Euro with engine building, indirect conflict, and an entirely economic focus. It's almost like calling Fighting Formations: Grossdeutchland Infantry Division a Euro because Chad used some worker placement mechanics to streamline an ASL type system. It just combines the best ideas of both genres to make something awesome, and I'm all for that. Rigidly classifying games is almost impossible now beyond a rough guideline, and the old split was preventing these great new games we're seeing today.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wouldn't call The 'Gric a long game, its about an hour and a half or two hours with five people. That's not overly long at all.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PaybackJack posted:

If you want to recommend a great worker placement Euro game, Hansa Teutonica is your best option. It's really simple. It gets people used to the idea of action blocking without completely ruining their strategy at a key point, thus it's more friendly for beginners. It has very typical Euro style scoring in that you don't always want to be first to score X because then others can score more after that.

I think thread superstar White Howler agrees with this, I seem to recall he loved this game as well. You should link his "Meepletown" blog in the main op.

I like Hansa Teutonica, but every game I've seen has always been a bit of a clusterfuck to get to the +Action location. I also think that there needs to be a stronger incentive to go down the middle route as well, as the games I've played/seen seem to never use approximately 75% of the board. We could just suck, though, but more actions is super tempting.

For a similar "upgrade" mechanism on a seemingly underrated game, I would really recommend Endeavor. I only played it once, and I think someone might get burnt out quick if they play it over and over again, but I think it has some really interesting mechanisms. No random element either, except for the way the board is set up, which also adds an element of variability to the game.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I love Hansa Teutonica. It plays 2 to 5 which is good flexible range for a game night. Plus it has the right amount of cockblocking your opponents joy with out totally shutting them out. Clogging up the routes to the Actions upgrade is always fun.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

GrandpaPants posted:

I like Hansa Teutonica, but every game I've seen has always been a bit of a clusterfuck to get to the +Action location. I also think that there needs to be a stronger incentive to go down the middle route as well, as the games I've played/seen seem to never use approximately 75% of the board. We could just suck, though, but more actions is super tempting.

Use the round merchant in the action route(s) to force people to compete you away at double the cost/gain. Then use those free traders to free up more merchants from your Liber Sophiae. Then go free your actions when you can fill up the route with traders from all over the board.

Played a 3-player game of it 2 weeks ago and I scored more points than my opponents combined :smug:

nimby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 2, 2012

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
For me the only terribly useful difference between Ameritrash and Eurogames is whether mechanics or theme drive the gameplay. Arkham Horror is clearly about elder gods dicking around with mortals, and when the designer thought of different ways for that to happen he came up with rules to represent them. Dominion is clearly a game about playing the deck you build, with some stuff about real estate thrown in because it has to be about something. There's just enough exceptional rules going on in Agricola that feel to me like additions for theme (some crops have different yields!) and they pile up in a daunting way when you're teaching it that it moves outside the space I have allocated for euros in my own mental model.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
How does one go about teaching rules for games?

For games I have to teach very often (eg. Cosmic Encounter or Chaos in the Old World), I've come up with a specific system that works well enough. But for any of the other games I own, it feels daunting to teach. The other issue I have is that I'm learning that teaching any of these games I don't have a quick teaching system for causes people to lose interest. Is there a general guide to what should and shouldn't be taught up front for most games?

Additionally, what do people think of Tribune? I understand it has its issues, but I'm unsure as to what they are, and we always have a good time playing it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

"Ameritrash" is a needlessly negative term, and BL's Transformers/2001 analogy is terrible.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

Additionally, what do people think of Tribune? I understand it has its issues, but I'm unsure as to what they are, and we always have a good time playing it.

That's what I think about Tribune too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I would have posted about napoleons triumph more but I wanted a more general overview of war games to help the newbies. Let me reiterate though: napoleons triumph is loving amazing and one of the best games I ever played.

Also the 3 hour thing wasn't referring to t&e because that would be an insanely long game of it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

OmegaGoo posted:

I love Tribune; there is certainly something off about it, like it would be even better if one thing were different, but I'm not sure what. Still a lot of fun.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I would have posted about napoleons triumph more but I wanted a more general overview of war games to help the newbies. Let me reiterate though: napoleons triumph is loving amazing and one of the best games I ever played.

Also the 3 hour thing wasn't referring to t&e because that would be an insanely long game of it.

I just wanted a big write up for the game on the first page. If Napoleon's Triumph became the most popular wargame, I'd be happy. The only downside is that it's a horrible online game. Every implementation I've seen attempted is awkward and takes way longer than a face to face game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PeterWeller posted:

"Ameritrash" is a needlessly negative term, and BL's Transformers/2001 analogy is terrible.

"Ameritrash" is to boardgames as "cheap" is to fighting games. It's been long-since co-opted by the community and isn't really a bad thing so much as a tongue in cheek reference to the past.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Countblanc posted:

"Ameritrash" is to boardgames as "cheap" is to fighting games. It's been long-since co-opted by the community and isn't really a bad thing so much as a tongue in cheek reference to the past.

Right on. But that just makes BL's analogy even worse.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I'm a big Euro-gamer since university, with BSG, Arkham, Catan, Carcassonne, Agricola, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Memoir '44, and a bunch of other of the 'core' games which I play often.

However, I still have a fondness for dungeon crawlers (despite not being a fan of tabletop RPGs or videogame dungeon crawlers) since playing only two games of Hero Quest back in the day. Due to this, I'm really quite excited about Descent 2, which I've read a lot about.

Also, recently as a break from longer games we've played a lot of Alien Frontiers lately, which we affectionately call 'Space Yahtzee', as that's basically exactly what it is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

EddieDean posted:

I'm a big Euro-gamer since university, with BSG, Arkham, Catan, Carcassonne, Agricola, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Memoir '44, and a bunch of other of the 'core' games which I play often.

However, I still have a fondness for dungeon crawlers (despite not being a fan of tabletop RPGs or videogame dungeon crawlers) since playing only two games of Hero Quest back in the day. Due to this, I'm really quite excited about Descent 2, which I've read a lot about.

Also, recently as a break from longer games we've played a lot of Alien Frontiers lately, which we affectionately call 'Space Yahtzee', as that's basically exactly what it is.

It can join Roll Through The Ages in the "yatzee-likes with themes that aren't the same as monopoly themes" genre.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

nimby posted:

Use the round merchant in the action route(s) to force people to compete you away at double the cost/gain. Then use those free traders to free up more merchants from your Liber Sophiae. Then go free your actions when you can fill up the route with traders from all over the board.

Played a 3-player game of it 2 weeks ago and I scored more points than my opponents combined :smug:

Is there a good place to play Hansa Teutonica online? What a great game - being versatile in your strategy is the key to success. As for actions, you can actually win with just 3. Probably not 2, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
7 Wonders looks like a lot of fun based on that write-up. I might make that my next purchase, but probably not until everyone is sick of dominion.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Same explanation can be offered for many racist/stereotypical terms. Doesn't make them any better, too.

(just curious about fighting game terms: "cheap" as opposed to what?)

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
So HEY, board goons! Four of us in the irc are going to play Virgin Queen tonight using its VASSAL module, and we need two more players. So yeah, let's get a couple of more players for this crazy game.

(I guess I should warn that this game is pretty complicated and you should really know the rules to either this or Here I Stand beforehand, and if the latter you should skim over the changes VQ has)

Oh and here's a mibbit link to the Board Goons irc.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

For fans of Space Alert there is a great app for iOS, don't know about android, that randomly generates the events in the game. A must have if you're bored of the CD.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Kiranamos posted:

Is there a good place to play Hansa Teutonica online? What a great game - being versatile in your strategy is the key to success. As for actions, you can actually win with just 3. Probably not 2, though.

No, there is not..I've looked high and low. Hansa is online but not the Teutonica variety. (unrelated games)

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

7 Wonders looks like a lot of fun based on that write-up. I might make that my next purchase, but probably not until everyone is sick of dominion.

The thing you buy when everyone is sick of Dominion is a new Dominion expansion. After a while it stops happening.

quote:

Same explanation can be offered for many racist/stereotypical terms. Doesn't make them any better, too.

I seriously do not know what to say if you think these are analogous situations. Perhaps "Counterarguments exist in one case that do not exist in the other?"

Edit: I mean, I get that this whole "reclaiming language" idea comes from sociologists talking about racial slurs and whatever, so the connection makes sense. But surely you'll agree the parallel is not so complete that all conclusions you draw in the one case would automatically transfer to the other?

Pierzak posted:

(just curious about fighting game terms: "cheap" as opposed to what?)

As in "cheap shot." A tactic that supposedly doesn't require much skill. "Quit trying to capture Australia in Risk, that's cheap." This is the sort of thing you hear from whining children on Xbox Live.

Generally stupid because if the game is well designed at all, you're probably ruining it if everyone refuses to use an important tactic. (For instance, a lot of people complain that grabs/throws are cheap, but almost all fighting games are fundamentally based around a rock/paper/scissors system. Blocking neutralizes strikes, grabs beat blocking, strikes outrange grabs. So just removing grabs from the game is Not Good.)

McNerd fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 2, 2012

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I only play Hansa Teutonica with the expansion board now, gets rid of the silly +Action bullshit.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Trynant posted:

So HEY, board goons! Four of us in the irc are going to play Virgin Queen tonight using its VASSAL module, and we need two more players. So yeah, let's get a couple of more players for this crazy game.

(I guess I should warn that this game is pretty complicated and you should really know the rules to either this or Here I Stand beforehand, and if the latter you should skim over the changes VQ has)

Oh and here's a mibbit link to the Board Goons irc.

This game looks really nice. The map is fantastic.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The Great Fire of London. Yay or nay? It doesn't seem to have the buzz Tamany Hall did. And strangely it seems to just be for the USA, given it is already in print in Europe?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872179144/the-great-fire-of-london

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 2, 2012

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

What a terrible description of and analogy about Ameritrash games.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
It is shameful that Power Grid hasn't been mentioned yet. It's been my favorite game for a long time, and everyone should give it a few plays at least.

Just picked up Eclipse. Got nervous that the second printing would dry up and I'd be waiting who knows how long for a third, and a local shop had it for MSRP. Can't wait to try it out.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Funso Banjo posted:

This game looks really nice. The map is fantastic.

It's a pretty swell game, but definitely look at the rulebook (freely available as a download on the BGG user page). The game is up there in terms of complexity. Really up there.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Trynant posted:

It's a pretty swell game, but definitely look at the rulebook (freely available as a download on the BGG user page). The game is up there in terms of complexity. Really up there.

Any game that has a "Jilted by Elizabeth table" is a game that demands to be played.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

Any game that has a "Jilted by Elizabeth table" is a game that demands to be played.

Don't forget to calculate your Patronage Modifier!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

BoBtheImpaler posted:

It is shameful that Power Grid hasn't been mentioned yet. It's been my favorite game for a long time, and everyone should give it a few plays at least.

Power Grid is definitely my favorite game too, and it should be played a few times, but I wouldn't say a shame it hasn't been mentioned since there's a lot of math involved and math puts off a lot of people in board games.

But it's still a great game and I'm terrible at math.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you guys enjoy Virgin Queen, the designer of the game was lead designer of the expansion for this obscure little game called Civilization 5. Unfortunately, Virgin Queen seems like one of those games that I would love to play, but could never get on the table.

Ed Beach, convert your boardgames into videogames.

Edit: Re: Power Grid, I played Power Grid: First Sparks, and while I like the original Power Grid more, First Sparks is much much more newbie friendly and will likely be suggested more since it is less heavy. The "technology" cards are mostly useless though and definitely seem the weak link in design.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

Power Grid is definitely my favorite game too, and it should be played a few times, but I wouldn't say a shame it hasn't been mentioned since there's a lot of math involved and math puts off a lot of people in board games.

But it's still a great game and I'm terrible at math.
I've always been under the impression that the person at the table who's best at math will essentially always win, and that's kept me from picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So, where does that subset of games that include Railroads and/or Stock Certificates fall in the Amer/Euro spectrum, anyhow? (And is anyone here of sufficient authority on them to contribute an overview post on that group?)

• Locked thread