Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Code Jockey posted:

If Dead Souls drops to a low enough price [and I'm sure it will before long] I'd say give it a try. Yeah it's a lot different of a game, and personally I loved it, but even if you hate the gameplay it's pretty worth it for the characters/story.

Majima in a zombie apocalypse alone is worth the cost of admission. :v:

e. Oh and the lag. I wish they'd fix the lag. :/

Majima is the only good thing about that game and he amounts to barely a fourth of the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

Majima is the only good thing about that game and he amounts to barely a fourth of the content.

Oh come on it was kind of fun. :smith: I liked it but tastes are subjective I suppose. It was clunky as gently caress in terms of aiming/camera but sometimes it was nice to just cruise around mowing down zombies.

The lag nearly killed it for me, but I thought it was a fun game which just happened to be set in a game world I love with characters I love playing as. I mean, it's definitely not a "Yakuza game", and had it not been in the world it was in I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

e. Also, it has a great soundtrack, at least I thought so. The installer music / XMB music [which I normally hate the existence of] and some other tracks were awesome.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Role Play McMurphy posted:

No, it's borderline terrible. It's like six hours of firing assault rifles at generic bullet-sponge robots in austere (boring) environments and then a totally haphazard relationship meter slapped on top. Except the main character is so unlikable and groanworthy that you'll like every other character less the more you improve your relationship with them. Then there's like two hours of tired cutscenes with the most disposable of Japanese tropes.
Oh, it's that bad? The demo fairly impressed me as far as games like that go. I thought Dead Souls was the Yakuza team's first prototype for a shooter, and then BD was their finished product. I guess maybe they are both prototypes and still have a long way to go?

Well, except for the main character being a nothing, I pretty much expected that. It looked like they were going for an American action movie feel with him, and are terrible at that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

New month, new games!

Known July PS3 Releases on Playstation Network and known prices
Any word on the free PS3 games for PS+ subscribers?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Any word on the free PS3 games for PS+ subscribers?

The only one that's known for sure is Pac-Man DX or whatever it's called.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, I guess I would pick up Dead Souls once it's $20-30. Can't believe it's still at $60 here :canada:

Welp, I guess I'm out of games to play for the summer which may be a good thing for my well being. I might get Tony Hawk HD when it comes out as some pick up and play fodder.

What genre would you guys consider the Yakuza series? The game felt like a soft RPG to me. I rarely play RPGs as I don't have the patience for all the stats and loot collecting but Yakuza had me hooked. Are there any similar types of games to this?

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I was thinking of making a Dungeon Twister thread to stir up interest for tomorrow's release, but if someone else with more experience in the game wants to do it (and also let me rest up this drat sinus infection), feel free.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, it's that bad? The demo fairly impressed me as far as games like that go. I thought Dead Souls was the Yakuza team's first prototype for a shooter, and then BD was their finished product. I guess maybe they are both prototypes and still have a long way to go?

Well, except for the main character being a nothing, I pretty much expected that. It looked like they were going for an American action movie feel with him, and are terrible at that.

I really detested it. The shooting mechanics were totally competent but the enemies were just wave after wave of similar metallic robots. The only reason to ever use a gun other than your main assault rifle was to snipe things and everything else was the standard cover shooter gameplay. I played it on hard my only time through and it was outrageously easy, too; I think there may have been two sequences I died on throughout the whole game.

Yeah, the main character being a Japanese approximation of an American action hero makes a lot of sense, actually. I can how they might have been attempting to make him a sort of in-your-face, shoot-first brash ladies' man but they utterly failed because he is the antithesis of charming. The voice acting is totally disjointed and the dude is often actively creepy or seemingly insane. Seeing that guy in "Prometheus" just be pointlessly cruel or irrational gave me flashbacks to this game, actually.

The relationship system is utter poo poo. It "progresses" by having your companions just occasionally stop in the middle of a level to ask you often non-sequitur but always repetitive questions to which you reply with one word. Many times the one word you'd reply with would get a negative response for no apparent reason. Considering it's a totally binary relationship scale, giving that wrong word is basically the same as shooting your teammates in the back of the head during battle. Very dumb.

All that for a story that is a carbon copy of millions of animes about androids and evil corporations, I'm sure, and it leaves a pretty sour taste in your mouth. Also for all that relationship building there appear to be basically two endings, a standard one and an ideal one but neither one makes any sense since the central thrust is that (minor spoilers) the hot Chinese girl falls in love with the main character presumably because his creepy persistence and borderline harassment wore down her defenses.

edit: french robot was the only half-original character in the game and he's with you for what, like two missions max? also the goddamned giant robots don't make any loving sense, how you gonna have these ridiculous metal monstrosities getting around crowded-rear end tokyo. it's like hiding godzilla in manhattan. and how is it fun to spend ~15 minutes endlessly peeking your head out of a car to ping bullets off a huge metal motorcycle when it's not even challenging. basically just an endurance test: "how long can I stand to hear this assault rifle firing over and over and over again before I want to die?"
vvvvvvvvvv

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 2, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

No, it's borderline terrible. It's like six hours of firing assault rifles at generic bullet-sponge robots in austere (boring) environments and then a totally haphazard relationship meter slapped on top. Except the main character is so unlikable and groanworthy that you'll like every other character less the more you improve your relationship with them. Then there's like two hours of tired cutscenes with the most disposable of Japanese tropes.

You must've played a different game. I played a game where you shoot robots and parts fall off and it makes them shoot each other and then a french robot comes and helps you and all of a sudden, GIANT GORILLA ROBOT KILLING EVERYONE. Also it had Blade Runner-ish themes all over the place.

It felt like an old sci-fi action movie and I liked it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have never played LA Noire, but am really considering giving it a play thru. I can borrow it from a buddy pretty easily.

I've heard both good and bad things. What's the overall goon opinion?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

eightysixed posted:

I have never played LA Noire, but am really considering giving it a play thru. I can borrow it from a buddy pretty easily.

Takes itself too seriously. Don't go in expecting anything like GTA.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

Despite all its trappings, it's really just an old-fashioned adventure game where you search for keys and put them in holes. It has an open world driving game and a shooting game attached to it but I question whether they should have been there at all.

Also, being an old-fashioned adventure game means it is maddeningly linear most of the time, and has only one ending no matter how much you wish you could change the outcome.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If you love old adventure games like Police Quest and are a film buff then you will go bananas for the game like I did. If you are looking for GTA in the 50s, you will be sorely disappointed.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

A sweet tech demo that goes on way too long and the story is for naught. If you're bored and want to see what it's all about give it a play through but don't expect anything great. Also if you really want to play the DLC just grab Nicholson Electroplating.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yechezkel posted:

Crosspost from the PS store thread:

*updated* 13 were on the screen, but 2 were of the same game. Games include:
Infamous 2,
LittleBigPlanet 2,
Saints Row 2,
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Sideway New York,
Lara Croft: Guardian of the Light,
Hard Corps: Uprising,
Just Cause 2,
Choplifter HD,
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone,
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine (thanks Blunt Force Trauma), top left and bottom left

:psyboom:

Everyone with PS+ that bought Infamous 2 and Just Cause 2 on sale last week :cawg:

Two of those games I bought, but never played yet. :cripes:

If I buy PS+ RIGHT NOW, can I get in on this?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Mediocre game. Even calling it an adventure game is generous because it's more like find the pixel in three dimensions, and then there's a dialogue system nearly as bad as Binary Domain's bolted on top. Where Binary Domain had two potential responses, LA Noire has three, so your odds of getting a totally illogical response are twice as high. And also that's kind of the core gameplay rather than shooting things.

Which would be all well and good if not for the fact that three-fourths of the way through the game the story takes a massive poo poo and removes even the ILLUSION of player agency.

Edit: If you want to play a shooter with dialogue, play Alpha Protocol. If you want to play an adventure with dialogue, play The Walking Dead. This sums up my opinion on games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kneel Before Zog posted:

If I buy PS+ RIGHT NOW, can I get in on this?

Yes, so I suggest you hurry. ;)

In case you don't know, as long as you have the red shopping bag on the PS Store icon, you can download the game at any time and play them provided you have PS+(in case your internet sucks and you have no chance of downloading all those games in one day).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Which would be all well and good if not for the fact that three-fourths of the way through the game the story takes a massive poo poo and removes even the ILLUSION of player agency.
Yeah, there's definitely that too. You get swept up in a conspiracy to charge people that you, the player, know are innocent, but you get a game over if you choose not to charge them.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Edit: If you want to play a shooter with dialogue, play Alpha Protocol. If you want to play an adventure with dialogue, play The Walking Dead. This sums up my opinion on games.

Oh yeah, speaking of this. When does Catherine go on sale for $20 and is that going to have a PSN+ discount on top? And will this fill the hole in my game library reserved for a puzzle game with dialogue?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
LA noire was "fairly cool" in this goons opinion, I got it for like 5 bucks and everyone said it sucked big time so I was pleasantly surprised that it was just a decent point and click adventure game basically. It wasnt like GTA but I dont know why you would want it to be.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I liked LA Noire well enough, but went in expecting something different, so I got bored of it really quickly. You've had time to look at what it is, so use it before making a decision.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chemtrail Clem posted:

LA noire was "fairly cool" in this goons opinion, I got it for like 5 bucks and everyone said it sucked big time so I was pleasantly surprised that it was just a decent point and click adventure game basically. It wasnt like GTA but I dont know why you would want it to be.
Interestingly, everyone in Japan apparently thought it was going to be GTA but with you as the cops too, and were disappointed when it wasn't. Its advertising, and the Rockstar label, was strong as hell at making that image for the game. I think it was done a great disservice by that. I hope Rockstar learned something.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I really liked LA Noire, but I agree that the cases get stale after a while. I'd say it's a great game, with superb facial animation and voice acting.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

LA noire was "fairly cool" in this goons opinion, I got it for like 5 bucks and everyone said it sucked big time....
There's no way everyone said it sucked big time. It has great reviews. :confused:

eightysixed posted:

Yea, that's kind of the response I was expecting :smith: How long is a play through?
Why are you :smith:ing? People said it was good.

It has a long story that spans 21 cases. Maybe 20 hours, depending on how many side cases you do.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 2, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
In regards to LA Noire -

Yea, that's kind of the response I was expecting :smith: How long is a play through?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

In regards to LA Noire -

20-25 hours depending on how much DLC you do.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
PS+ July freebies announced:

- Gotham City Imposters (!!!)
- Pac-Man Champion Edition DX
- Renegade Ops

... which is just peachy for me. I'd almost snagged Imposters previously, CE DX is fantastic but never grabbed it, and I'd heard Renegade Ops was pretty fun too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Apparently that's just half of July's offerings, according to the dude replying in the comments.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Just make sure to not take too long of a break while playing LA Noire. Characters will start rattling off names and you'll just be scratching your head for the rest of the cutscene. Also, if you didn't know, there is an option for Black & White mode in the options, which makes the game about 100% more rad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Interestingly, everyone in Japan apparently thought it was going to be GTA but with you as the cops too, and were disappointed when it wasn't. Its advertising, and the Rockstar label, was strong as hell at making that image for the game. I think it was done a great disservice by that. I hope Rockstar learned something.

That was actually sort of the case for me. Not that I'm in Japan, but that everything had lead me to believe that it was GTA Cops, but what I got was an overlong adventure game. If they hadn't made it a sandbox game, it would've been way more fun than it was.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Renegade Ops is the poo poo. Also GCI is pretty cool too. Could be a good way to expand the player base.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah Renegade Ops rules, it's basically the only downloadable-type game I have really fallen head over heels in love with. I had no idea you could make a game where you control a little car like that with such snappy controls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

PS+ July freebies announced:

- Gotham City Imposters (!!!)
- Pac-Man Champion Edition DX
- Renegade Ops

... which is just peachy for me. I'd almost snagged Imposters previously, CE DX is fantastic but never grabbed it, and I'd heard Renegade Ops was pretty fun too.

Well, nice. I was considering picking up Imposters and now I don't have to.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I already have GCI on Steam but it's a great multiplayer FPS. I already maxed out on achievements for CE-DX, guess it's time to do the same with trophies.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's a bit of an odd choice to make it free like literally a week after making it half price at $7.50. This may scare off people from buying stuff with the plus discount.

However, the community manager or whatnot said in the comments that going forward anything offered on plus discount won't show up in the Instant Game Library (tm) for a long time. This will probably be refuted month in another customer service gaffe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

That's a bit of an odd choice to make it free like literally a week after making it half price at $7.50. This may scare off people from buying stuff with the plus discount.

However, the community manager or whatnot said in the comments that going forward anything offered on plus discount won't show up in the Instant Game Library (tm) for a long time. This will probably be refuted month in another customer service gaffe.
Yeah, that way of doing things worries me and so far I think I'll call it quits on PS+ when it expires in August, unless August's free games are really awesome and weren't just discounted the month before.

edit: of the ones from last month the only ones I'm still playing are Infamous 2 and Just Cause 2.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

eightysixed posted:

Have you played and enjoyed the Telltale adventure games? If yes, you'll enjoy LA Noire.
Otherwise, it's a crapshoot if you'll like it or not. As others have said, it's not the same type of game like Red Dead Redemption or GTA4.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ImpAtom posted:

Well, nice. I was considering picking up Imposters and now I don't have to.

Was literally thinking about picking up today. Great timing

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

iastudent posted:

I was thinking of making a Dungeon Twister thread to stir up interest for tomorrow's release, but if someone else with more experience in the game wants to do it (and also let me rest up this drat sinus infection), feel free.

Did you got around making this yet? It sounds cool, but I would like to see how it plays before buying it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know I bring it up from time to time, but I love my Astro A40's. ("wireless" gaming headset/mic.) Anyway, I've only had mine since christmas and I'm already WAY jealous of how sexy the A50's are. (coming out end of July.)

http://www.astrogaming.com/a50/a50-wireless-system

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone might be considering high-end headphones.

[edit] For what it's worth, sexiness aside, the BIG deal here is no need for a "Corded" Mixamp anymore. It's a transmitter on your desk, connected to your PS3.. and a headset with all the mixamp poo poo built in. No cord tethered to the mixamp. All controls, volume & settings are housed in the headset. God, that is some hot poo poo right there.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man, what a bullshit puzzle in Castlevania: LoS. I figured out the solution within a minute but actually doing it was a whole chore in itself.

• Locked thread