Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Sylink posted:

If they fix city sieges and assaults to be fun then it will be perfection.

Also I hope they drop the go anywhere campaign maps and make every province a series of choke points. Its not that fun and it would make it easier to make each battle "significant".

I really hope they don't have too many sieges. It really felt out of place in RTW when nearly every battle was a siege. Sieges weren't as commonplace then as in the middle ages and they needed to fiddle with stuff to make them fit. RTW was the first TW game in a long time, though, and it's understandable that they relied on the older gameplay style.

Things I want from the next engine are better AI and a way to get more interesting battle maps generated more regularly. Also, much larger battle maps.

If they can finally make the unit blocks able to operate a bit more fluidly city combat would be a lot less frustrating.

If the individual Roman infantry units were made up of multiple cohorts then that could maybe help it fit in narrow streets while keeping the scale large. It would also allow for you to manoeuvre around phalanxes and make the game more than positioning the blocks. That's just supposition based on the concept art, though.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sputty posted:

The latest games obviously felt rushed

Anyway, I got Napoleon since it's 5 dollars on impulse and maybe it managed to fix the stuff in Empire that was really poorly done. I still think that setting might have the most potential for a TW game

Fall actually felt pretty well done, as most of the base stuff and traditional side of things was already there. The Victorian armies and equipment were pretty bang on.

I do agree though that the 18th and 19th century Total War games had so much potential, sad to say though we won't see them trying them again for maybe a decade or more. If only they made Empire like they intended with three years of development behind it :(.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Aw, Rome. Oh, well, it's not terrible, it's just not pike and shot.

The bit about fewer but more significant battles is certainly interesting. It was always irritating how if you didn't have a prepared blitzkrieg plan in position, you'd basically end up facing a minimum of one stack per enemy city, usually of trash.

Also really hoping they bring back the more out-there generals. Every game from Empire onwards has had really anemic characterization for their generals, and picking through a skill tree just isn't the same (especially when you basically have a few set paths to run down and that's it).

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Awww hell yes. Been waiting for this for so long. Brutii here I come.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

raingwc posted:

Awww hell yes. Been waiting for this for so long. Brutii here I come.
Actually I haven't seen it mentioned in either article, did they say if the stupid feudal Rome families will be back?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

NihilCredo posted:

Actually I haven't seen it mentioned in either article, did they say if the stupid feudal Rome families will be back?

The RPS article does mention that each faction (Rome, Carthage, etc.) will have its own "tech tree, content, and internal conflict" - no idea how that will actually end up playing out, though. Perhaps there'll be a more elegant solution modeling the great families feuding against each other now?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Re: How Legions work, instead of individual units

If I had to guess, I'd say it would be a collection of 5+ units you recruit together, and its composition is based on where you recruit it from. Like, recruiting a legion from Rhodes would give you a higher composition of archers, while recruiting from another area might give you more cavalry.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
After spending about 400 hours between Napoleon Total War, Shogun 2 Total War and Fall of the Samurai, I am SO loving excited for this game. I've never played any of the earlier Total War titles, so I can't wait to try out the Rome setting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

NightConqueror posted:

After spending about 400 hours between Napoleon Total War, Shogun 2 Total War and Fall of the Samurai, I am SO loving excited for this game. I've never played any of the earlier Total War titles, so I can't wait to try out the Rome setting.

Buy RTW Gold during the holiday sale and get some mods for it. Go Hog Wild.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Oh. gently caress. YES! :black101: Can't wait for the footage of this demo. Just hope I can afford a ninja PC by then. Must start saving....

EDIT: link to full-size pic since I can't link to it properly http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-preview/

EDIT2: godfuckingdamnitall, just read the drat article.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 2, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how there is graffiti on the wall of the tower in the left foreground.

Bigger pic to see http://i.imgur.com/6mwmo.jpg

That definitely looks like Carthage. They got the port and everything.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 2, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Any Phoenician readers here who can translate that graffiti?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Any Phoenician readers here who can translate that graffiti?

"Romans go home"

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
RPS interview is up. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-interview/

I haven't read it all yet but there's some interesting bits, a legion can gain traits independently of its generals, I just hope you don't get to directly choose them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

quote:

It'll be bigger than Shogun 2's, and bigger than the original Rome's, and will be rendered using the same visuals as the battle engine. In previous games you'd control individual units, but now you have to think about entire armies.

This quote makes it seem like the campaign map uses the same stuff as the battle map... that sounds amazing.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

euphronius posted:

I love how there is graffiti on the wall of the tower in the left foreground.

Looks like there are people right up in the top of the tower too.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

If they are going the RPG root of equipping some of your elites in this though, I have a slightly nasty feeling that Tech might be the new unit packs DLC wise.

Of course I'm just being cynical ignore me :(.
I bet its just an expanded version of the avatar customization in Shogun 2. Just a bunch of different helmets/swords/whatever that don't actually change stats.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eugh, I know I'm really late to the party on this, but FOTS's naval battles are incredibly boring and terrible. Do you have explosive shells? Yes? You win.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Total War's naval battles have always been lacking. I've never enjoyed a single naval battle in any of the Total War games with naval battles.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty excited about Rome 2 now, although I'll be cautiously optimistic until we see some actual gameplay. It's pretty easy to overstate features and keep the descriptions vague so that people just assume things and get carried away. With that said though, as long as they improve the AI some more then I'll probably buy it and enjoy it because I'm a sucker for total war games.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

VDay posted:

Pretty excited about Rome 2 now, although I'll be cautiously optimistic until we see some actual gameplay. It's pretty easy to overstate features and keep the descriptions vague so that people just assume things and get carried away. With that said though, as long as they improve the AI some more then I'll probably buy it and enjoy it because I'm a sucker for total war games.

The last few games have really begun to emphasise multiplayer, and for me that has really made me realise just how lacking Aai Is for a game like this.
Not just CA's AI but AI in general. Even playing against the dumbest pubbie is a completely different experience than playing the computer, and that won't change unless something really really drastically changes in the field of game AI.

In many ways I wonder if it hasn't spoilt the campaign experience for me.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Shorter Than Some posted:

The last few games have really begun to emphasise multiplayer, and for me that has really made me realise just how lacking Aai Is for a game like this.
Not just CA's AI but AI in general. Even playing against the dumbest pubbie is a completely different experience than playing the computer, and that won't change unless something really really drastically changes in the field of game AI.

In many ways I wonder if it hasn't spoilt the campaign experience for me.
Well, part 2 of RPS's interview tomorrow seems like it will be all about AI, so fingers crossed they've made radical improvements. Of course, it's CA and they say that with every new game, but hey-ho battered wife syndrome.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't even want radical improvements, just fixing a lot of the minor "quirks". I'd settle just for making units better about friendly fire. It's one thing if a melee unit's fighting with someone and I tell some archers to rain down arrows on everything, but if two units are lined up and one is ahead of the other, how about not making the back one blindly fire into the back of the guys standing 10 feet in front of them?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

VDay posted:

I don't even want radical improvements, just fixing a lot of the minor "quirks". I'd settle just for making units better about friendly fire. It's one thing if a melee unit's fighting with someone and I tell some archers to rain down arrows on everything, but if two units are lined up and one is ahead of the other, how about not making the back one blindly fire into the back of the guys standing 10 feet in front of them?

That was fixed in Med 2, then promptly re broken in empire since you can't fire muskets in a 70 degree arc. It was only fixed again in fots where gunners would simply give a "out of los" error instead of teamkilling somebody.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Asehujiko posted:

That was fixed in Med 2, then promptly re broken in empire since you can't fire muskets in a 70 degree arc. It was only fixed again in fots where gunners would simply give a "out of los" error instead of teamkilling somebody.

And thank god, because I can't tell you how many times my general was shot in the back by either his own units or by a cannonball in Napoleon Total War.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Profanity posted:

Well, part 2 of RPS's interview tomorrow seems like it will be all about AI, so fingers crossed they've made radical improvements. Of course, it's CA and they say that with every new game, but hey-ho battered wife syndrome.

That's kinda my point though, they promise better AI every time but really all they can do is shore up holes in a system which even when working perfectly is woefully inadequate.

I'm kinda hoping they find a way to incentivise drop in battles more, those things are great when you can get them going. I'd also like an option to be available for other peoples drop in battles when in a campaign yourself (not sure how feasible this would be though).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If CA releases the Lorica Segmentata as a 15 bucks DLC i wonder how many people would bite.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Mans posted:

If CA releases the Lorica Segmentata as a 15 bucks DLC i wonder how many people would bite.

Depends, would it give you better armor stats?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKglskMfyWA

Interesting trailer. Wonder if any of this glimpse has any historical reference?

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
My dreams of a Crusader Kings 2/EU3/Total War game are slowly coming true.

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006
It would be great if when you call a legion or legions to active duty you could select how many turns you would like to spend training them which would of course increase their stats. If you just need a lot of warm bodies quickly forgo training altogether!

Of course this would apply only before you research the Marian reforms in which case you have standing professional armies that may cause problems if you don't find something for them to do or disband them. Disbanding them would cost more money than recruiting them because we all know you promised those soldiers a plot of land and some booty after the campaign. If you can't afford the upkeep and you can't afford to disband them, you have a rebellion on your hands.

Now I'm no game designer so I have no idea if any of this could be balanced or made to be fun but I hope it can. Really, I just think it would be neat if we could face some of the same challenges and consequences that the Romans had to deal with. You want a better army? Then research the Marian reforms. Look out though, your own soldiers and generals are a danger to the state now. You want cheaper soldiers? Go to the barbarian tribes and hire mercenaries. Careful, if you become to dependent on them they may just realize that there is nothing stopping them from sacking your towns!

Ultimately I think they have most of the battle map stuff down pretty good now. I wish they would focus on the political side of things. The techniques I used while playing Shogun 2 should not work in Rome.

Who am I kidding, I'll buy it regardless.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

MorbidYak posted:

Ultimately I think they have most of the battle map stuff down pretty good now.

From the looks of it the battle map is getting a serious overhaul. The systems they are talking about putting in place, the emphasis of individual units in large battles, integrated naval landings, moving the emphasis of city combat inside the walls rather than at the gates, none of this would work with the current battle system. Navigating units around inside cities and castles has always been a clusterfuck that usually just results in blobbing at one choke-hold and then mopping up units that rout to the center of the city. If they can really change that formula then the entire series will be better for it.

The overall map is getting tweaked too, the emphasis of region ownership over town ownership is going to make a big difference if done right. Previously you couldn't control resources in a region without capturing and garrisoning the town, now it sounds like capturing areas that hold resources specifically to starve out the towns and cities will be more effective resulting in more emphasis on battles in open fields and key terrain.

Really from everything being described it almost sounds like the campaign map is going to look totally different with more emphasis on holding strategic passes and fields and focused on aggressive engagement rather than stacking up dudes inside walls and calling it good.

Combining these two things makes for a potential for something that has never really meshed in Total War, huge epic sprawling battles in the fields, viscous hectic skirmishing and pillaging in cities. Good stuff.

My other big wish (and this probably wont happen, but hey, wishlist!) would be that agent actions be done in real time coinciding with battles. If I send an agent in to sabotage an archery tower that action should be queued to happen during the battle. It would add a random element to these big fights that could be incredible. Picture it, right as your troops are marching on a gate you intently watch your agent sneak along the wall, duck into the gatehouse, and just as your troops are at the door either it opens or your agent's bloodied body is tossed out of a window. Every fight in Total War eventually starts to feel a bit samey, the same strategy works 99% of the time in the late game, throwing in random elements that keep each battle fresh would be really nice.

Edit: To clarify on agent actions, there has always been too much separation with agent actions when it comes to battle. If I bribe a legion to join me, having them waltz out of their city and join my stack is dumb. Id rather bribe them, let them lie in wait with the city defense, and give the signal for them to turn on their comrades at a key moment. Having a sleeper cell of archers standing on the wall, creating a hole in the defenses that I can exploit is much more interesting from a gameplay and strategy perspective than just having them chilling with my blob.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 3, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm personally wondering about how far they're taking that unit customization idea. If possible I would equip everybody, everywhere with Pilums(Pila? latin is a bit rusty) if they're anywhere near as good as they were in the previous game.

Errazial
Aug 27, 2008

I'd also like an option to be available for other peoples drop in battles when in a campaign yourself (not sure how feasible this would be though).
This has been part of the system from the start. There just aren’t enough drop-in battles to go around.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

I'm kinda hoping they find a way to incentivise drop in battles more, those things are great when you can get them going. I'd also like an option to be available for other peoples drop in battles when in a campaign yourself (not sure how feasible this would be though).

This already exists. If you turn on drop in battles you are not only prompted to ask if you want to call in another player into your game, but can also be requested to drop in another player's battle. It just pops up while you are on the world map. I've never seen it happen that much though.

Probably because people using the auto matcher to find drop in battles fill up all the slots. I don't think too many people turn on drop in battles because they are big babies that reload any time something doesn't go their way.

They need to add some incentive to get everyone doing them, maybe give units that fight in human battles 2x exp or something. Also add a rating system so you can vote down shitheads who corner camp or something.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 3, 2012

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

Probably because people using the auto matcher to find drop in battles fill up all the slots. I don't think too many people turn on drop in battles because they are big babies that reload any time something doesn't go their way.

The problem I had with it was always that I'd turn it one then I'd try and fight one and spend 10 minutes waiting for a partner before giving up and just playing against the AI.

Alternatively I'd look for one from the opposite side and get matched with some rear end in a top hat who had his full stack of elite deathtroops while I had the computer's 4 unvetted Yari Ashigaru and a half strength light cav.

This meant I never tried it again.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

This already exists. If you turn on drop in battles you are not only prompted to ask if you want to call in another player into your game, but can also be requested to drop in another player's battle. It just pops up while you are on the world map. I've never seen it happen that much though.

They need to add some incentive to get everyone doing them, maybe give units that fight in human battles 2x exp or something. Also add a rating system so you can vote down shitheads who corner camp or something.
I did not know that, i've never had it happen to me so I thought it just allowed people into your games.

Speaking of reloading I have to admit that I used to be a chronic reloader back in the day, and I still get tempted sometimes. I kinda hope they make the no reload feature of legendary difficulty and make it an option for all modes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

gently caress YES. Rome 2. YES YES YES.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Asehujiko posted:

I'm personally wondering about how far they're taking that unit customization idea. If possible I would equip everybody, everywhere with Pilums(Pila? latin is a bit rusty) if they're anywhere near as good as they were in the previous game.

No, it'd have to be the limey heads the Britons had. Those things just melted enemies away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I hope they will still have different unit types and not use being able to pick unit equipment as an excuse to basically just have like... conscript, soldier, and elite recruitables then you pick equipment