Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Cheers for this, just installed it and I love it. Very cool and fixes an annoying problem I have on my Darkyrom build where the battery icon inexplicably disappears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

GIMMEL posted:

I think the 4.1 version of google's player is amazing. Stream 20k tracks anywhere, equalizer, great UI and widget? Hell yeah!
can't wait to get 4.1, on 4.0 it works pretty well anyways. I only use it to stream my "non-priority" music. Using about 6k of my songs...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is it possible to rip the 4.1 Play Music apk and sideload it to your phone?

Also how would I go about copying the FlipWidgets apk off my phone? It installed fine on my Gnex.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
So presumably GMusic/Play Music/Whatever We're Calling It Now would be useless to me because Google Music isn't available in the UK?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

rolleyes posted:

So presumably GMusic/Play Music/Whatever We're Calling It Now would be useless to me because Google Music isn't available in the UK?

Just use a proxy to appear as being in the US and sign up for it. Then it should be usable wherever. Get the apk from XDA.

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

This application cannot be installed in your region.

Use an american proxy and it will work. Just once, after that it works worldwide!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

rolleyes posted:

Use a proxy like Hotspot Shield and go to music.google.com to sign up. Then deactivate the proxy and upload your music. The app should be available on the market. You can't buy music though.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I know its been asked a million times, but do you need a separate app to record a call?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yep. And there aren't any good ones, nobody knows why.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I'm planning on grabbing a Nexus 7 in a month or two and was wondering if I'll have to buy the tablet version of SwiftKey 3 or if the standard one will work? I can understand them making a tablet optimized version, but I'd rather not have to buy an app I've already paid for.

So, still wondering. Or would this be a question better suited for the tablet thread?

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

XIII posted:

So, still wondering. Or would this be a question better suited for the tablet thread?

Regarding Swiftkey 3 on a tablet, using the non tablet version will give an ugly and poorly dimensioned keyboard.

Didn't even end up using it due to the fact it was so ugly, I ended up buying the tablet version.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Good:

HBO Go now has tablet support

The Bad:

It doesn't appear to work on the Xoom LTE. Reports are that it works fine on the Wifi version, but the LTE version gives "Unknown Error" when you launch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You guys weren't kidding. I installed SetCPU (after dealing with a bunch of bullshit to get root back on my phone) and it never dropped below 94% today.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vonManstein posted:

Regarding Swiftkey 3 on a tablet, using the non tablet version will give an ugly and poorly dimensioned keyboard.

Didn't even end up using it due to the fact it was so ugly, I ended up buying the tablet version.

Ok, thanks! Guess I'll end up grabbing it when I finally get around to picking up the 7.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Splizwarf posted:

Yep. And there aren't any good ones, nobody knows why.

I thought it had something to do with Android not providing application-level access to the voice stream, so the only way to get the functionality is with custom ROMs. I believe it's included in Cyanogen for example. The apps which don't require this generally just record your side of the conversation via the mic, so are next to useless.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Good:

HBO Go now has tablet support

The Bad:

It doesn't appear to work on the Xoom LTE. Reports are that it works fine on the Wifi version, but the LTE version gives "Unknown Error" when you launch it.

Works fine on my LTE Xoom. The side loaded amazon app just stopped working the other day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fudsak posted:

Works fine on my LTE Xoom. The side loaded amazon app just stopped working the other day.

Huh, it works now. It must have been a server side issue. I guess they put the app live before they made adjustments on the back end.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

I think the Spotify app used to let you play music from local storage, is there any way to do that now or did they get rid of that? If not, do the Mog or Rdio apps let you?

You still can, easiest way is to probably just add your local stuff to its own playlist.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Use a proxy like Hotspot Shield and go to music.google.com to sign up. Then deactivate the proxy and upload your music. The app should be available on the market. You can't buy music though.

Holy crap, I sat here bemoaning the lack of Google Music in the UK for the last year or whatever and it turns out all I needed to do was log in from any of the various US-based servers I have access to at work? Will be trying this out tomorrow!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I thought it had something to do with Android not providing application-level access to the voice stream, so the only way to get the functionality is with custom ROMs. I believe it's included in Cyanogen for example. The apps which don't require this generally just record your side of the conversation via the mic, so are next to useless.

The only way I know of recording calls is through Google Voice. I've got Sprint's GV integration and if I press "4", it'll record both my side of the call and the caller's side. It'll also tell both parties that the call is now being recorded.

After you hang up, it'll be put up on Google Voice (or e-mailed to you, I'm not sure which).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does anyone know if there's some kind of timer app that displays the time left in the notification screen?

I'd like to just let it run in the background, and then do a pull-down to see how much time is left.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone know if there's some kind of timer app that displays the time left in the notification screen?

I'd like to just let it run in the background, and then do a pull-down to see how much time is left.
That would keep your device awake the whole time and murder your battery.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

The built in timer on my Motorola Electrify(Photon) does this. Do different phones have a different Alarm & Timer app?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FuzzyPickles posted:

The built in timer on my Motorola Electrify(Photon) does this. Do different phones have a different Alarm & Timer app?

Pretty sure thats a motoblur feature.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FuzzyPickles posted:

CM7 doesn't have any built in timer or stopwatch...I have never figured out why.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Best timer app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Edit: wrong thread.

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands

DrBouvenstein posted:

aTimer can do this with something like 15 concurrent timers running. When you load the app it gives you a huge page of timers set to something like 1 2 3 4 5 10 15 20 30 45 60 minutes which can be customised and it shows each individual one counting down on the app, and in the notification bar it shows the minutes left in the soonest ending timer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.adyno.atimer&hl=en

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
StopWatch & Timer Plus costs a few bucks, but it's the best timer app I've found so far, and strikes a nice balance between being feature-packed and not being eye-searingly ugly or gimmicky or pointlessly skeuomorphic.

It puts an icon in the notification bar for each timer that will display hours remaining, minutes remaining, or a circular timer if there's less than 2 minutes left. It will do as many count up/down timers as you want, and even has convenient features like being able to use the hardware volume buttons for start/stop/lap.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I've been using the Ultrachron one (for brewing beer), and have been happy with it. If get off my rear end and do two batches at once, I should probably think about your StopWatch and Timer Plus one.

I never thought about Ultrachron being ugly, since most of the time the screen is off and ticking away.

Beliskner
Aug 25, 2006

I get superSWOLE on superSHAKES.
Hey guys, I'm looking for a very specific function but can't find an app that seems to do it, maybe I'm searching for the wrong things? Anyway, what I want is something that allows you to get the notification sound to be active, but when someone calls it only vibrates. It seems like those are totally connected though; there's no way to silence one without silencing the other.

Ideally you'd have a toggle between these 4 options:

totally silent
vibrate only
vibrate on phone call/sound on text message
full sound

Does something like this exist?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you can't find anything, you could always do silent ringtone and select "vibrate and ring."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beliskner posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a very specific function but can't find an app that seems to do it, maybe I'm searching for the wrong things? Anyway, what I want is something that allows you to get the notification sound to be active, but when someone calls it only vibrates. It seems like those are totally connected though; there's no way to silence one without silencing the other.

totally silent
vibrate only
full sound

A custom ROM will allow you do this but Cojawfee's method is the only way to do it on stock.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

A custom ROM will allow you do this but Cojawfee's method is the only way to do it on stock.

Couldn't you create a widget in Tasker to do this?

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Beliskner posted:

totally silent
vibrate only
full sound

Can you record/find a sound file that contains nothing (recorded just quietness) and set that as your ringtone?

It'll be a pain in the rear end when you want to switch your call off of vibrate, but it should work.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:confused: Any good Audio-Manager-type app will let you de-couple the Notification and Ringer sound levels.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Beliskner posted:

totally silent
vibrate only
full sound

Presumably you could set Tasker profiles if you're rooted. I'm pretty sure they take precedence over all other phone settings, and they have variables On Phone Call... and On Text...

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

The Google Maps Navigation app on my phone (Samsung Vibrant running ICS Passion) has been doing something kind of weird.

It talks in two voice, intermittently switching. One is kind of robotic and sounds like the typical voice you'd hear on a phone line (like when you misdial). The other is more natural sounding and also sounds younger, which started happening after a recent update (1-2 weeks ago). I prefer the second one as it's easier to understand. Both will read both generic road directions (IE "Keep straight for x miles") and directions with street names that require text to speech, so I can't see any reason to switch between them.

Why is it speaking in two voices? Is there a way to change this?

It's a minor issue, but it's kinda :psyduck:.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WebDO posted:

Google Translate:
Multiple ways to play with this app. You select an input and output language, and can either speak or type into the app for a translation. At this point, you can have the app text-to-speech the output. Bonus for style, it includes a conversation/pass the phone translate mode where speakers can translate back and forth between the two selected languages.

Last time I used it I had it playing while someone sitting a foot or two away from me spoke Spanish. It only translated like the first two words it heard. I want something that can pick up spanish and will translate as much as the user is willing to record. This one just stopped after it thought it had heard enough like I was asking it to translate one spanish word. Am I asking for too much right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beliskner
Aug 25, 2006

I get superSWOLE on superSHAKES.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Unfortunately it's not rooted...and yeah, manually switching the ringtone to a silent one is way too much work. This isn't actually my phone, and I've said if she wants it she'll probably have to let me root it, so it's in her hands now.

Splizwarf posted:

:confused: Any good Audio-Manager-type app will let you de-couple the Notification and Ringer sound levels.

Can you name a specific app that does this? I can't find any that mention it.

• Locked thread