Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

GrAviTy84 posted:

there should be a combination of :chef: and :colbert: :chefbert: if you will...

Not that I'm qualified to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Not to say that supermarket labeling inherently makes any sense at all, but are you essentially saying that supermarket labeling seasoned ground meat as "italian sausage" or somesuch is completely false and makes no sense at all?

What about breakfast sausage patties, they do not deserve the label sausage in any way?

It's all semantics really, but a sausage is all about the effects of cooking something in a casing, whose fat ratio and stuffing pressure was controlled such that you get awesome juicy "pop" and huge flavor from not losing any of it to evaporation or juice runoff all carried by the fat. A "sausage" patty has none of that. I would say it is a burger, but a burger is beef and should be cooked midrare to medium. With sausage fat ratios, if beef, this would be pasty and greasy. So I guess it is just a meatloaf, if you really need to define it.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's all semantics really, but a sausage is all about the effects of cooking something in a casing, whose fat ratio and stuffing pressure was controlled such that you get awesome juicy "pop" and huge flavor from not losing any of it to evaporation or juice runoff all carried by the fat. A "sausage" patty has none of that. I would say it is a burger, but a burger is beef and should be cooked midrare to medium. With sausage fat ratios, if beef, this would be pasty and greasy. So I guess it is just a meatloaf, if you really need to define it.

Cheap sausage can be had quite cheap at an Italian market if you wait for a sale. Just do that!

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 4, 2012

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
If it has to be in a casing to be considered sausage...why do we have "ground sausage"?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SoleilEquil posted:

If it has to be in a casing to be considered sausage...why do we have "ground sausage"?

Because Americans ruin everything they touch.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Football.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I'm living by myself for the month and am terrible about eating leftovers unless it's leftover soup. Is there any hope for me to eat without breaking the bank on small portions?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm living by myself for the month and am terrible about eating leftovers unless it's leftover soup. Is there any hope for me to eat without breaking the bank on small portions?

Braises are always a good choice for re-heatability. In my bachelordom, I've found endless utility in sear protein -> deglaze with flavorful liquid -> serve protein over starch and vegetable with delicious sauce.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Well, what helped me was going on a diet (which forced me to only eat things I cooked for myself). That combined with being a very slow and deliberate cook made it pretty easy for me to get used to leftovers.

But I mean if you like cooking then just go ahead and cook in small portions. Just only buy staples that you can use in many different preparations. My default grocery purchases each week are onions, garlic, ginger, eggs, milk, cream, some good-rear end parmesan, berries or whatever fruit is on sale, chocolate and some sort of green vegetable. With some sort of protein, herbs and spices, and my trusty pile of dried pasta, frozen bread and tortillas, lentils, rice, and/or beans, I can make a very satisfying variety of foods. Except for the berries (which I inhale anyhow), all that stuff will last two weeks at least if you decide to neglect it.

edit: I guess the green vegetable won't last that long depending on what you buy, but eat your freakin' vegetables.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think you mean Handegg. :smug:

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I think you mean Handegg. :smug:

Regardless of what he meant.... I like both (but I do have to say 'soccer' for people around here to understand me).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You mean football?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm reading backwards through the thread right now, but while I do, does anyone have any good bulk recipes that will last 2 people through a few meals and are cheap? As much as I love stews, soups, and roasts, it's been in the mid-80's all week and 60%+ humidity, so the less actual cooking I do, the better.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'd go with chili or pierogi. Both can be chucked into the freezer then reheated. Though the pierogi need to be boiled and fried, it only takes like 15 minutes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
do up a bunch of mise en place for a slaw (cabbage, onions, shredded carrot, rice noodles) and make a batch of dressing (lime, honey, jalapeno, rice wine vin) separately. Grill a cheap piece of beef like one of those "london broil steaks" some grocery stores do hot and fast to MR-M and then cool it down and refrigerate it. dress batches of your slaw and top with thin slices of the beef. wrap the beef tightly with plastic after you cut into it. The not dressed salad veg and cooked beef should all keep for 3-5 days if sealed and refrigerated (keep the glass noodles in water), and you can do all the prep and cooking in one day in less than two hours.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm reading backwards through the thread right now, but while I do, does anyone have any good bulk recipes that will last 2 people through a few meals and are cheap? As much as I love stews, soups, and roasts, it's been in the mid-80's all week and 60%+ humidity, so the less actual cooking I do, the better.

During the summer, all cooking happens in the crock pot on the balcony. Don't know if that's an option for you, but it's something to consider.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Irving posted:

During the summer, all cooking happens in the crock pot on the balcony. Don't know if that's an option for you, but it's something to consider.

It is, yes. I'm looking at different recipes right now, but as it stands, I'm considering making a large batch of hummus for lunches, and then braising a bunch of cheap meats in the crock pot for meals for the week. Alton Brown has great recipes for Swiss Steak, Country Fried Steak, and Chicken Fried Steak, but I'd need to find a cheap 48 blade meat tenderizer.

Beyond that, I can use that method of prep and cooking to make a really cheap cut of meat turn very tender. So recipe options are decently wide open.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Pookah posted:

Keema Matar is a delicious and extremely filling curry made from minced lamb (or beef) and peas.

Once you've built up your spice shelf it's also very cheap; I just made a big pot of it with about 2lb of perfectly fresh minced beef steak which was being clearanced at 50 cent a pack, so the the whole giant pot of food cost around 3 euro to make.

I use this recipe as a basis:

http://101things.wordpress.com/2006/06/17/kheema-matar-minced-lamb-curry-with-peas/

but I add in a bit more of every spice plus throw a stick of cinnamon into the pot whilst it's cooking and a spoonful of tomato puree in at the end to thicken the sauce a bit. It's pretty much like north indian shepherds pie; total comfort food.

Also for general cheap eating always watch for beef being sold off cheap as it gets near its use by date; unlike chicken or fish, beef actually tends to get better as it gets a bit older - we had a 14 euro beef roast for dinner last night which had been reduced to 2 euro and it was deeelicious.

Do you have any other recipes like this? Cause that looks awesome and easy and cheap. :)

Is "mince meat" different from ground beef?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

That would depend. If it is "minced meat" then no, probably not different. If it is "mince meat" then yes, likely very different.

The context will tell you for sure, of course. Mincemeat is a pie filling made of dried fruits like raisins and stuff.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Capsaicin posted:

Do you have any other recipes like this? Cause that looks awesome and easy and cheap. :)

Yes minced meat is the same as ground beef :) Also here's another pretty cheap beef recipe - I make it with round steak / round roast whenever I can get it cheaply. It's a kenyan-style beef stew that I got to try at a local international food festival, it's served with a lovely potato/corn/spinach mash which sounds like a bizarre combination until you try it:

Ingredients (4-6 servings)
1.5 lbs beef, cubed
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots grated finely (I use a microplane grater)
1 pepper, finely diced
1 tblsp curry powder (or as much as you like)
Salt
2 medium onions, chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
Dash of worcestershire sauce (optional but delicious)
Dash of mushroom ketchup (optional)
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (Optional)

Brown the onions in the oil. Add the meat and garlic and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, pepper and carrots,and let them cook until they form a thick sauce. Add the water, cilantro, curry powder, worcestershire, mushroom ketchup and salt to taste. Mix well. Cook on low heat until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. If liked, you can take the meat out towards the end of cooking and mash/puree the vegetables.

Mukimo

Potatoes ( maybe 6-8 normal size roosters?)
Can of chopped spinach
Can of sweetcorn
butter
salt n pepper

Boil spuds, mash, add butter and spinach. mash together, add drained corn. Pepper and salt to taste.

Yum

Edit: I posted this earlier in the thread: lentil curry recipe that is also very cheap to make but very tasty indeed.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 6, 2012

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Pookah posted:

Yes minced meat is the same as ground beef :) Also here's another pretty cheap beef recipe - I make it with round steak / round roast whenever I can get it cheaply. It's a kenyan-style beef stew that I got to try at a local international food festival, it's served with a lovely potato/corn/spinach mash which sounds like a bizarre combination until you try it:

Ingredients (4-6 servings)
1.5 lbs beef, cubed
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots grated finely (I use a microplane grater)
1 pepper, finely diced
1 tblsp curry powder (or as much as you like)
Salt
2 medium onions, chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
Dash of worcestershire sauce (optional but delicious)
Dash of mushroom ketchup (optional)
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (Optional)

Brown the onions in the oil. Add the meat and garlic and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, pepper and carrots,and let them cook until they form a thick sauce. Add the water, cilantro, curry powder, worcestershire, mushroom ketchup and salt to taste. Mix well. Cook on low heat until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. If liked, you can take the meat out towards the end of cooking and mash/puree the vegetables.

Mukimo

Potatoes ( maybe 6-8 normal size roosters?)
Can of chopped spinach
Can of sweetcorn
butter
salt n pepper

Boil spuds, mash, add butter and spinach. mash together, add drained corn. Pepper and salt to taste.

Yum

Edit: I posted this earlier in the thread: lentil curry recipe that is also very cheap to make but very tasty indeed.

I love you...definitely making this later on this week.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I'm kinda surprised to find that minced meat is just ground beef, especially as the Kheema Matar recipe started with:

quote:

It can sometimes be a challenge to think of interesting things to do with minced meat

To contribute, here's a family recipe for Arabic rice:

Ingredients:
1½ cups white rice
1½ pounds lean ground beef
1½ cups pine nuts (the most expensive part, can be omitted though it's better if you include it)
2 medium onions, chopped up
2 limes
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 green onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1 stick butter or margarine (optional, I usually don't bother with this)
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
salt
black pepper
pepper sauce (optional)

1. Season the ground beef with salt, pepper, chopped onions, juice of the limes, garlic,
and green onions.
2. Brown the pine nuts in the butter over medium heat in a large pot.
3. Add the seasoned ground beef to the pine nuts and cook thoroughly.
4. Add the cinnamon and pepper sauce.
5. Add the rice, broth and margarine and bring to a boil.
6. Lower heat to medium and cook rice until finished. Be sure to taste-test to see if it needs more salt, pepper, or especially cinnamon. Add the green onion.
Makes about 8 large servings.

If you think there's enough cinnamon, you're wrong, it probably needs more.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SoleilEquil posted:

I love you...definitely making this later on this week.

:blush: You're welcome - hope it turns out well!

Actually I have to lay off looking out for meat/veg deals - I got into the habit of cooking big pots of freezables on saturdays since the weather this summer has been shite, so now I have a freezer packed with all sorts of things that need to be eaten ( I know, I know, classic first world problem...)

^^^ That sounds delicious, definitely going to have to give it a go. ^^^

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 7, 2012

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
There seems to be 2 kinds of freezable food:
1) freeze, then thaw, then cook for however long (e.g. boil then fry). Examples: pierogi, ?, ?

2) freeze, then microwave (no thawing necessary). Examples: burritos, ?, ?

I'm trying to fill my freezer with examples of both for when my new job starts. In my old job, I could set my own hours, so I was able to be a lot more flexible with what I ate and when I ate it during the work week. Because I was able to set my own hours before, I didn't worry about freezing and mostly made items with no more than 6-7 servings. So not much went into the freezer besides stock. Now I'm feeling the crunch of time!

Any cheap ideas besides pierogi and burritos? I really have no clue what freezes well versus horribly, and I've gotten to the point where I trust GWS more than any other culinary resource out there (is that sad?).

For the love of god, no suggestions for beef stew or chili, I have ODed on those dishes for the next year. The cheaper, the better obviously!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
You don't need to thaw pierogi. You can also make jiaozi, eggrolls, and samosas. Freeze them, and cook them straight from the freezer.

These are all exceedingly cheap. I made 80 jiaozi for about $7.50. If I'd made the wrappers it'd have been even cheaper.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You don't need to thaw pierogi. You can also make jiaozi, eggrolls, and samosas. Freeze them, and cook them straight from the freezer.

These are all exceedingly cheap. I made 80 jiaozi for about $7.50. If I'd made the wrappers it'd have been even cheaper.

Is there a way to make wrappers that aren't absurdly thick besides a pasta roller? I can't get dough thin with my rolling pin AT ALL. What's the secret?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bah... My gf is partly stubborn and partly insane. She doesn't want to make stew, chili, or anything that would be "too thick". This eliminates a lot of crock pot cooking. The unfortunate bit is that we're down to $15 to last us till the end of the week.

Anyone got any ideas?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Roast a chicken?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Valdara posted:

Is there a way to make wrappers that aren't absurdly thick besides a pasta roller? I can't get dough thin with my rolling pin AT ALL. What's the secret?
Circular wrappers. Roll them flat between your palms. It's way easier than flattening them with a rolling pin or a pasta roller.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

neogeo0823 posted:

Bah... My gf is partly stubborn and partly insane. She doesn't want to make stew, chili, or anything that would be "too thick". This eliminates a lot of crock pot cooking. The unfortunate bit is that we're down to $15 to last us till the end of the week.

Anyone got any ideas?

Make your chili. Give her water and ask if it is "not thick" enough. She will get hungry and eat the chili anyway.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone got any ideas?

Are you making fun of me for being tired of beef stew and chili? :( I just posted that 3 posts before yours.

Grill burgers, roast a bird + have fun with leftovers, make some soup, rice+beans.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Does anyone know where to find cheap groceries in Edmonton? I recently moved up here and food prices are way higher than I'm used to, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding any variety of peppers (even in the ethnic stores I've tried)

I'm going to continue trying all the nearby ethnic stores, but right now the bulk of my grocery shopping is at Superstore.

Edit: I should add that I'm good at combining foods in ways that are delicious, but not cooking things in ways that are cooked correctly. I'm improving, but I don't want to go for anything too fancy, I'll just burn it.

miryei fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 8, 2012

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Valdara posted:

Yeah, that was my problem with the pierogi. I may look into a nonstick mat.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^^ One thing I've seen done for flattening dough balls into really flat things is to rig up your own tortilla press. Take 2 sheets of wax paper, and put your dough ball in between. Then, take a large, heavy, flat bottomed pan and press down until desired thickness. Works the same way as the press, but for less cost.

Yehudis Basya posted:

Are you making fun of me for being tired of beef stew and chili? :( I just posted that 3 posts before yours.

Grill burgers, roast a bird + have fun with leftovers, make some soup, rice+beans.

No, that was just a coincidence.

Also coincidentally, I've somehow contracted food poisoning. I blame the Subway Chicken Bacon Ranch sub I had on Friday, since right after that is when I got sick.

incidentally, our local grocery store sells already roasted chickens for $5 a pop. My only concern with that is that I'd like to use the bones and whatever meat we don't use to make soup, but I'm pretty sure she'd be against me making chicken soup because it's summer time.

...Actually, how about this: Anyone know any good, cheap recipes that use chicken stock? We could have some of the chicken with a side of veggies one night, then make chicken stock with the bones and use that for some sort of bulk recipe.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 8, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Risotto (or is that too thick)? Or stir fried bok choy with mushrooms (add cornstarch and chicken stock while stir frying).

Anything non-soupy that uses chicken stock is either going to use very little of the stock or be thick...

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: ^^^ One thing I've seen done for flattening dough balls into really flat things is to rig up your own tortilla press. Take 2 sheets of wax paper, and put your dough ball in between. Then, take a large, heavy, flat bottomed pan and press down until desired thickness. Works the same way as the press, but for less cost.
My mind is amazed, how did I not think of that? Awesome. I was also having that problem.

neogeo0823 posted:

...Actually, how about this: Anyone know any good, cheap recipes that use chicken stock? We could have some of the chicken with a side of veggies one night, then make chicken stock with the bones and use that for some sort of bulk recipe.

If you've got enough bones, make stock. (If you don't, stick the bones in the freezer until you have enough to make stock.) Any recipe that calls for water, you could probably replace with stock to change the flavors (do this for rice). Any thing that you make on the pan that requires browning, you could add stock to make a pan sauce. You can pretty much do anything with it.

Edit- $5 per chicken? That's probably cheaper than the price of raw chicken. Use leftovers with that chicken to make chicken salad. You may already have the ingredients to make bread lying around your house. Congrats, now you have chicken salad sandwiches for another meal!

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Rurutia posted:

Risotto (or is that too thick)? Or stir fried bok choy with mushrooms (add cornstarch and chicken stock while stir frying).

Anything non-soupy that uses chicken stock is either going to use very little of the stock or be thick...

Risotto is my favorite go-to for my homemade stock. Using it to make some kind of red sauce or bolognese for pasta is good, too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yehudis Basya posted:

Edit- $5 per chicken? That's probably cheaper than the price of raw chicken. Use leftovers with that chicken to make chicken salad. You may already have the ingredients to make bread lying around your house. Congrats, now you have chicken salad sandwiches for another meal!

Hey, now that's a good idea. We have tons of eggs sitting in the fridge that need to be used. I could hard boil the eggs and use the left over chicken and make a really filling chicken and egg salad. I'd already have a bunch of vegetables from making dinner the night before, and from making stock, so I'd just need to get bread. We have everything for the no-knead bread recipe from way back at the beginning of the thread, but it takes a whole day to make, and for $.99, I can buy a giant loaf of white bread.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I can never get any yeast bread recipe to work right, including that no-knead bread. It ends up with the whole house smelling like delicious bread, and the actual bread being completely inedible.

That said, anyone have good muffin/quickbread recipes? Those seem to turn out well, and I still have all this flour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

miryei posted:

I can never get any yeast bread recipe to work right, including that no-knead bread. It ends up with the whole house smelling like delicious bread, and the actual bread being completely inedible.

That said, anyone have good muffin/quickbread recipes? Those seem to turn out well, and I still have all this flour...

Can you try and take pictures? We can tell you where you screwed up if you like.